• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Day Shortened: Best Places to Stay and Pitfalls to Avoid between Irun and Destination

sjdthom

Time of past OR future Camino
Would like to start our first day from Irun a little shorter and looking for places to stay between the two. Anyone done this or have recommendations or places to avoid? thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Would like to start our first day from Irun a little shorter and looking for places to stay between the two. Anyone done this or have recommendations or places to avoid? thanks

It might help if you let us know what other place was your 'Destination'.

Gronze shows accommodation options at Pasajes de San Juan, about 18 km from Irun. Other places are much closer.

I haven't walked the CdN, perhaps those that have will be able to recommend other options.

Last edited:
Hi @sjdthom
It’s been a long time (9yrs) since I walked the norte. After a long haul from Oz to Barcelona and a train to Irún, I had decided I didn’t want to walk all the way to San Sebastián on day 1. After arrival in Irún, I had stayed in albergue there and then Day 1 walked to Pasajes de San Juan as @dougfitz suggested above. It’s a really picturesque spot. Albergue high up as you’re walking into PdeSan Juan. It was very small then so would fill up early. There is more accommodation in main village I think. I walked down and enjoyed the village and walked out around that side of the land- beautiful walk . (In the morning you catch the little boat across the water to continue towards San Sebastián). I would do the same again.
I took the lower path in 2014 / I would give the high path a try next time. But the lower path is still lovely.

If you choose to continue to San Sebastián next day - you will probably arrive with lots of time to look around / lunch or walk the beach /but (with advice from Hospi at albergue in San Juan) I decided to walk on to Orio on day 2. (I did however have opportunities in later years to return to S Seb for several days) - it depends on your time line and possibly your companions. I was after a more quiet experience at the start.
I find those memories easy to recall … a really beautiful camino .. just be prepared for ups and downs in the first section of approx 7-10 days(of my stages that is )

Buen camino

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That albergue was closed, but my wife and I found a room on AirBnB in a tiny apartment (host slept on the couch!) in that town for the price of an albergue

That albergue was closed, but my wife and I found a room on AirBnB in a tiny apartment (host slept on the couch!) in that town for the price of an albergue
Was that before they reopened after Covid? Gronze shows that the albergue in Pasaia (Pasajes de San Juan) is open from February 1st to November 30th.

Was that before they reopened after Covid? Gronze shows that the albergue in Pasaia (Pasajes de San Juan) is open from February 1st to November 30th.
Yes. Just wanted to share that there are other options out there not mentioned in guidebooks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Editorial Buen Camino app contains lots of useful information.

Gronze shows accommodation options at Pasajes de San Juan, about 18 km from Irun. Other places are much closer.
@dougfitz is right In terms of albergues. this is the first available one after you leave Irun.
f you choose to continue to San Sebastián next day - you will probably arrive with lots of time to look around / lunch or walk the beach /but (with advice from Hospi at albergue in San Juan) I decided to walk on to Orio on day 2. (I did however have opportunities in later years to return to S Seb for several days) - it depends on your time line and possibly your companions. I was after a more quiet experience at the start.
I find those memories easy to recall … a really beautiful camino .. just be prepared for ups and downs in the first section of approx 7-10 days(of my stages that is )
This is excellent advice from @OzAnnie
Try hotel Donibanea in Pasajes de San Juan near the ferry.
I checked their website and the rooms range in price (for July and August) from 143 Euros a night up to 280 Euros a night. They may have a pilgrim discount but I doubt it would be more than about 10-15%. I don't know when you are going and your budget elasticity, but even at 140 Euros it was way to rich for my blood.
When you get to the variant at Santurio de Guadalupe stay to the left. If you take the variant it is more difficult but a little shorter. It is supposed to be beautiful, really beautiful. I was thinking of walking it but by the time I got there even though it was only 5.3k from Irun I thought the better of it and wimped out and took the easier way. (Which wasn't that easy).
There is also this hostel about 4k from San Sebastian. It is a whole bunch of steps and another hill after you get off the ferry.
That is it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Has anyone recently walked from SS to Hondarribia? That’s what we are doing tomorrow. Any hints?

Be sure to get water and snacks before leaving Irun. Have some one euro coins for the vending machine in front of the bar (usually closed except weekends/holidays) just beyond the church Santuario de Guadalupe. A cold Kas or Aquarius or Coke will refresh you for the strenuous climb if you take the high variant. This variant is worth it for the view of the ocean on a clear day but the very first part of this high variant is quite steep. If you take it, when the path arrives at the radio station fence, the path is on the lower right of the fence, at its' corner. The yellow arrow there was quite faded in 2017. You can also take the asphalt road from the old Fort of San Enrique, a tourist stop shortly before the radio station. Learn Basque greetings and thanks before you go and you will be most welcomed. Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We stayed at the little albergue in Pasajes de San Juan (about 2 weeks ago). It was lovely. So glad we did, I don't think I would have made it all the way to SS - the hills!! We did get there over an hour before it opened, there were already people queuing, though nobody got turned away.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back