Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

First time Camino Frances Sep 2021

Mqcola

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2021)
Hi everyone,

My husband and I have been waiting for over 10 years for this time to come. We have planned to walk the Camino Frances in 2021 to thanks all the good and maybe not so good things that happened in our lives and to start a new journey as we will be retiring.
We are a little bit concerned on how the lodging will work in this era of the new normal ( I know I might being pessimistic that we will not get throught this until september, just wanted to be prepared for the worse case scenario.
Please, we need your help and sugestion on what we should do.
Please let us know if we should book ( and even if it is possible as before it was first come first serve) the loading in advance, and if so could we do it 24hrs in advance or it wouldn't be enought time.
I am very concerned, going and not having a space to sleep.
Thank you so much for your help.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Hi everyone,

My husband and I have been waiting for over 10 years for this time to come. We have planned to walk the Camino Frances in 2021 to thanks all the good and maybe not so good things that happened in our lives and to start a new journey as we will be retiring.
We are a little bit concerned on how the lodging will work in this era of the new normal ( I know I might being pessimistic that we will not get throught this until september, just wanted to be prepared for the worse case scenario.
Please let us know if we should book ( and even if it is possible as before it was first come first serve) the loading in advance, and if so could we do it 24hrs in advance or it wouldn't be enought time.
I don't think that anyone can tell you with any guarantees what the Camino might be like next year (hopefully) post Covid. Be aware that 2021 is a holy year, which usually brings out more pilgrims, and September is one of the most popular months to start the Camino from St Jean Pied de Port. You might want to consider starting the last week of August rather than in September. That's when I started my first Camino in 2016, and I never had an issue finding a bed, and I rarely booked ahead.
I would definitely book my accommodations up through Pamplona, then wing it from there - booking a day or two ahead, or just showing up and finding a place each day.

aname4me

aname4me
Camino(s) past & future
2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, (2021)
There are many views on prebooking.

As a newbie Pilgrim you won't know the distance you are capable of walking each day. If you don't know how far you can (really) walk... it is hard to prebook.

Most retired couples walk 20-25Km a day.

I would advise you to book the first four night months before, by July.
September 2019 was a record year with the places (at the beginning) all filled by 1 or 2pm.

You do need to prebook....
St Jean Pied de Port
Orisson this is an important stop, you will meet many people here that will be part of you Camino family
Roncesvalles
Zubiri

Pamplona this is a big enough place that you should not have difficulty finding a place when you arrive.

After Pamplona the herd of Pilgrims spreads out.

Also (if you don't live in Europe).... allow at least 2 night in Europe before you start to walk. Your body needs time to relax and adjust after your trip.

Mqcola

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2021)
Hi,
Thank you so much for your advise. I will check leaving by end of August, my husband was a little bit concern if the weather would be too hot.
I also like the idea of staying a few days before starting our walk. Thank you, so many good advise.
We will take it easy in the beginning of the walk, as I agree that we don't know how our body will react of walking long distances on a daily basis.
Thanks again ...

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Thank you so much for your advise. I will check leaving by end of August, my husband was a little bit concern if the weather would be too hot.
Yes, it can be hot in August, but the weather doesn't magically change starting September 1st - it can be quite hot in September too.

André Walker

Never loosing my way: always standing on it
Camino(s) past & future
Holland-St.Jean, Frances, Del Norte, VdlP.
Trecile is right: the temperatures don't significally change from the end of August to the start of September. For what it's worth, here is the longterm climate info of the 4 major cities on the Camino Frances:

1602499856556.png

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015, 2017, 2019) and plans for 2021 (Sept, Oct)
My wife have walked Camino Frances three times from St Jean to Santiago, each time from mid September to late October. That time of the year is ifeal for us.

Our first in 2015 was right after I retired and we did not make advance reservations except in St Jean, then we made reservations a few days ahead, such as when we stayed in paradors. Our second CF we walked with my brother and his wife. We made advance reservations for every night except 4 or 5 places and this worked well for us. Last year we had reservations every night for private rooms with private bathroom every night.

We were going to hike again this year to avoid the jubilee year crowds, but had to cancel due to the pandemic. We were uncertain if we would be able to book reservations in 2021, but were able to do so, using Booking.com and Gronze.com. In fact, yesterday I made our final reservation. We have 5 reservations for in transit overnights and 35 overnights hiking the camino.

Some veterans prefer a more spontaneous camino by not making advance reservations, but we now know the routes and where to stay so this suits us well.

Bob

Walking Lover

Camino(s) past & future
CdS from Leon to Santiago, June 16, 2016 to June 30, 2016.
Hi everyone,

I would use Booking.com to book in advance. This will make your day's walk more enjoyable - no rush to get there early enough to find a bed and a more relaxed state of mind that will enhance your experience. I have done 4 Caminos. I will take it much slower on my next one and will still do bookings ahead of time. This allows for baggage transport to a determined location if needed.

Advertisement

Booking.com