• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Time doing the Camino Frances :) Advice needed.

tRKe

Hello Everyone! My name is Robin

My partner, Rebecca and I are happy to say we are planning to do the Camino France this coming May.
I am Canadian and my partner is Australian. I have trekked through Nepal and looking forward to join pilgrimage walk. Its great to see there is a forum for this for I have a few, possibly very silly, questions. Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated :)

(I'm sure you get these posts on this forum all the time, so I'll me may introductions questions shot:)

1) We plan to fly into france, where should we go first? and how do we sign up for the walk?
2) How much should we carry? (and what should we not carry?)
3) About sleeping arrangements: Is a sleeping bag needed? Should I pack a tent incase guest houses are to full.
4) How much money should I bring on the walk? Can a credit card be used at the shops?
5)When we arrive in Santiago de Compostela, How long do you recommend we stay there, where is the closest airport and how do we get there?

Thanks again for the future advice :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Robin...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

You sound like someone that's ready for an adventure and willing to do what needs to be done to walk the Way. As you may have noticed, the Forum is a cornucopia of information and insight and the members are willing to fill your bucket with sage advice.

Here's a start: Go to the top of the page on the right and click on the CSJ FAQ tab. Take a look on the info contained there. If you don't find an answer to your questions, consider the advanced SEARCH tab, also at the upper right. Just type in a topic: boots, should I pack a tent, etc.

Also, decide on which Camino you want to walk and go to that topic area. You will find many similar questions and good solid information.

Cost, once on Camino: about 1 Euro a km, if you stay in municipal albergues, more in private albergues, or hostales.

Pack only what you must have, not what you MIGHT need. Spain is a modern country and the more popular Caminos (Frances, Portuguese, Ingles) go thru towns and villages where you can purchase most of your usual things: soap, food, drinks, etc.

Hope that gets you going.

Buen Camino

Arn

Arn said:
Robin...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

Cost, once on Camino: about 1 Euro a km, if you stay in municipal albergues, more in private albergues, or hostales.

Arn

Gosh, was going to budget for nearly twice, that means I can save some more weight :lol:
Thanks David

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all,

Whilst Arn's advice is usually the soundest, on this point we need to consider how far one walks comfortably in a day.

If you can walk 30 kilometers then €1.00 per kilometer is plenty, but if you can walk only 18 to 20 kilometers a day then that budget is a bit tight.

This is one of the inherent difficulties of the forum. One does not know if the advice being offered is from a six foot tall 20 year old very fit man or from a little old overweight woman who feels the cold. No offence meant to anybody.

Buen Camino everybody,
Lydia

I budgeted using a 50% contingency on the 1€ per km rule. So 1.50€ per km got me safely and comfortably from Burgos to Santiago, including a couple days where I had to rest and a bus trip to make my timeframe.

That being said, that was good for me, but each person must judge for themselves. If you buy food at the fruterias, panaderias, and alimentaciones or mercados, you can save more money by cooking for yourself than eating the pilgrim menu nightly.

Buen Camino!

'Solvitur Ambulando'
- St. Augustine

1) We plan to fly into france, where should we go first? and how do we sign up for the walk?

You can fly into Paris and get the TGV to Biarritz or fly to Biarritz. Then a local train or bus to St Jean.
You don't have to sign up anywhere. All you need is a 'credencial' - a pilgrim passport - which allows you to stay in the refuges. You could get this from St Jean at the pilgrims' office.

2) How much should we carry? (and what should we not carry?)

The golden rule is pack light! Lightweight backpack, lightweight clothing - 10% - 15% of your bodyweight. Don't take heavy mountain boots - there is no mountain climbing on the Camino Frances. Do take rain gear and a light fleece - May can be a very wet month and can also be quite cold.

3) About sleeping arrangements: Is a sleeping bag needed? Should I pack a tent in case guest houses are to full.

You have to have a sleeping bag or liner in the refuges. They don't like people sleeping on their matresses with hot sweaty bodies. In May it can be cool, especially in the high places, and not all albergues offer blankets so take a lightweight bag. Don't take a tent unless you specifically want to sleep outdoors. There are more than enough places to sleep along the way.

This is a wonderful website for planning your Camino on any route with distances, profile maps, lists of albergues with charges, openeing dates, contact details etc.
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/
On the right hand side is a list of headings to help you plan your Camino. (Qué me ofrece esta guía) if you use a Google translate you can easily negotiate all the pages.

4) How much money should I bring on the walk? Can a credit card be used at the shops?

It is possible to do the Camino on a very tight budget of €20 - €25 a day.
In my planning book YOUR CAMINO I suggest a comfort budget of €40 a day. You don't have to spend it all!
Approx costs: an average of €7 euros per night in albergues (more if you stay in pensiones or hostales). €3 for breakfast, €5 for lunch, €10-€12 for dinner (cheaper if you buy from supermecados and prepare your meal in the albergue kitchen): Incidentals such as drinks, entrance to museums, use of washing machines, internet cafes, phone cards, medicines and plasters etc might cost you another €10 a day.
Small shops, albergues and rural B&Bs do not accept credit cards. I suggest a travel debit card from your bank, whereby you load the card with Euros and the rate of exchange is fixed. You can withdraw money from ATMs in most small villages and towns and pay restaurants, hotels etc that accept credit cards.

5)When we arrive in Santiago de Compostela, How long do you recommend we stay there, where is the closest airport and how do we get there?

I suggest at least two days in Santiago so that you can attend the pilgrim's mass at mid-day and hear the priest read out the numbers of pilgrims that arrived from the different countries the day before. He might say, "and three from Canada, four from Australia...." and you two will know that you are part of that number!! The airport is Lavacolla, about 7km from the city. You can take an airport bus or a taxi which will cost you about €20.

If you have time, try to get to Finisterre. There are daily buses there and back and a walk up to the lighthouse at the End of the World, and the very last marker which reads 0.00km is a very special ending to a very special walk.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The major cost drivers are accommodation and meals - these are daily costs, not distance based, and any budget calculation would be more reliable if done on a daily estimate. I cannot think of any costs I had that were actually distance related.

My experience in Mar-Apr-May 2010 was that my daily costs were running at around 30 Euro until I needed to replace my walking poles, and then at Santiago, I stayed in a hotel near the cathedral as a little reward for having finished. These increased my average daily costs to around 35 Euro on the Camino itself.

If your tastes run to a beer or wine at the end of the day, you might to increase that to around 40 Euro.

I met someone trying to keep to 20 Euro a day, which appeared to require rather spartan techniques to reduce food costs. I couldn't have done that, but he claimed to be achieving it.

Regards,

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
OK,

So I do intend to be spartan walking the Camino, except when it comes to the quality of my equipment and a fine vino. If anything, that is the splurge that demolishes my 1 Euro per km meter.

And, is my habit...if a new member to the Forum submits a "laundry list" of questions, rather than giving them all the answers, I steer them to other areas, threads, FAQ tabs, in an attempt introduce them to the full width and breadth of sage advice and experience that resides in the Forum.

Saludos,

Arn

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Arn, when you planned your first Camino the Eroski's cost calculator used to suggest €1 per km. Inflation, rising costs, a weakening Euro - have all contributed to the rise in Camino pilgrim costs. Now they advise an average of €7 for an albergue and €23 for food, medicines and other incidentals. Personally, I found that I had hidden costs - Internet usuage, entrance to musuems or galleries, using washing machines, an occasional taxi to an interesting place too far to walk to.
Searching other threads is good. That way a person gets a wide spectrum of opinions.

Chipping in here. I walked the Camino in August / September of 2011 and budgeted €25 per day including accommodation. By and large that worked out fine for staying in any sort of albergue, a pilgrim's menu (with vino) in the evening and a beer or two with a snack in the afternoon. Of course as others have said there are unexpected expenses which crop up - such as medicine or clothing needs.

As far as what to take goes, I found a backpack cover to be indispensable (and being fluro yellow it was also good when walking along the roadside). Surprisingly for the time of year, I also found I needed a warm sweater when I was in the Galacian mountains. Cash is king on the camino but ATMs are in almost every small town of village. I doubt guest houses would be full in May (admittedly it was a push at times in August) but even if they are there's usually somewhere else to stay or the next place with accommodation probably isn't too much father on. I had a sleeping roll with me and never used it (although I came very close once). I think a tent would just be unnecessary weight and take up valuable space in your pack.

I agree that two days is about right in Santiago. Unless you start from the outskirts of the city, you're unlikely to reach it much before lunchtime and when you get there you'll want relax and unwind for a bit as well as pick up your compostella (certificate) from the pilgrim's office. Take time to soak up the atmosphere, go to the pilgrim's mass and just enjoy yourselves. The cathedral also offers tours in English which might interest you. I'd also recommend booking accommodation there before you arrive if you want to stay somewhere other than an albergue - it saves having to wander around checking out rooms & price, leaving more time for enjoying yourselves.

Finally, yes Santiago does have an airport (you'll walk right past it on the way there) as well as a train station. The airport can be reached by bus or taxi from the city.

Buon camino - it's an unforgettable experience.

Anthony

Wow! Thanks for all the great advice! Definitely making this trip look much more achievable :)

So from what it sounds like. Please correct me if I'm wrong or if you have anything to add on to this:

We should fly to Paris (from canada) and fly down to Biarritz then catch the bus to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, get our pass and get on our way :) It should take use about 4-5 weeks to complete the walk and should budget around 900 Euros to be comfortable with our expenses. We' will pack very light and a sleeping bag is required. :)

Bonus Question:

After the camino, We are traveling to Italy and South africa so we will need to bring some extra luggage with us. Of course brining it on the Camino is no possible. Does anyone know where we can store our luggage or send them so we may collect them after.

Thanks for all your support!! You guys are amazing.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
tRKe said:
down to Biarritz then catch the bus to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
That begs me to ask for clarification. I understand that it's bus from Biarritz to Bayonne Railway station and the train to SJPdP, or use a taxi direct. Do i have this wrong? If there is such a bus from Biarritz where and when does it depart from?

1) We plan to fly into france, where should we go first? and how do we sign up for the walk
I did my Camino starting May 18th last year. I flew to Paris and then took the train to SJPP
via Bayonne. This suited me because I wanted to be rested when I started my pilgrimage. I obtained by pilgrim's passport from the Canadian Company of Pilgrims prior to my pilgrimage and then got my first stamp in SJPP at the pilgrim's office.

2) [How much should we carry? (and what should we not carry?)
My backpack weighed about 22lbs. I used all the advice I could find on this forum to put
together my stuff. In the end the only thing I took that I did not use was a silk sleeping bag
liner. I left it for another pilgrim in Puenta La Reina.

3) About sleeping arrangements: Is a sleeping bag needed? Should I pack a tent incase guest
houses are to full.
I took a light weight sleeping bag and for me it was needed. I would not pack a tent
because if you start early in the morning and finish early then you should have no problem
finding accomodation

I always carried about 300 Euros and used my credit card to get money from bank machines.
5)When we arrive in Santiago de Compostela, How long do you recommend we stay there, where
is the closest airport and how do we get there?
I stayed in Santiago for two days and then went to Finnisterre for four days. When I returned
to Santiago by bus I stayed in the Seminary alberque right next to the Cathedral and took a
taxi from there to the airport in the morning. I think the alberque was 17Euros for the night.
The person taking the registrations at the alberque phoned the taxi for me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In case this is of any help, I walked the Camino Frances in June-July 2011:

I took a train from Paris to Bayonne and then another train to SJPDP. The only thing to keep in mind is the time you arrive in SJPDP. Officially, the pilgrims office is open until 8pm, but they often run later. My train arrived at 7:40pm and I made it on time to get the pilgrims passport that same night and start the walk the next morning. Ideally, I would have liked getting to Saint Jean earlier in the day.

I wholeheartedly recommend taking a guidebook and reading at least part of it before you start the walk. It can make a big difference. I really liked-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1844095754/?tag=casaivar02-20
(note newest edition in December 2011)

I carried a total of 8 kg, including water, so you can go very light. If you search something like "packing list" in the forum, you can get a sense for what's necessary and mostly, what's not...I found the forum super helpful in figuring out what to take :)

I budgeted 30 Euros/day but brought extra just to make sure. Food really is the main expense, so that's totally up to your habits, likes, and dislikes to determine.

Buen Camino!
Michal

--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Hi

following on from the last post:
Im also planning on travelling Paris to SJPP by train on one day, getting to the pilgrim office in time (hopefully) to get my credencial and then starting the following day.
Is there any way of getting to SJPP earlier than that train that gets in at 7.40pm?
I swear that somewhere (why do I never bookmark these things!) I saw there was a train that left Paris at 8.29am and then I could get to SJPP around 4ish.

Ive been on the sncf site but trusting in schoolgirl french which is not very reliable.

thanks for any advice
karen

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Karen

Yes, there's a train that leaves from Paris Montparnasse at 8.29 and arrives in SJPP at 16.23 changing once (I assume in Bayonne).

See http://www.raileurope.co.uk for an English version. I think the SNCF website just links to the same site, but in French.

If you do have to get the later train to SJPP, I'm sure all will be fine anyway.

Buen Camino!

I knew it! (in reference to train leaving Paris at 8.29 via Bayonne and arriving SJPP late afternoon)
thanks tyrek - good to know Im not going mad after all.
thanks muchly
karen

Hi Karen,

Originally, I was actually planning on a late morning train from Paris. I can't remember the time but there were definitely several options. I didn't think it was going to be busy, and by the time I arrived at the train station to purchase my ticket, I was told that the train was full and, hence, the late arrival at Saint Jean. I think arriving earlier is much better-- it gives you plenty of time to take care of all errands and also an opportunity to walk about Saint Jean, which is lovely. From what I recall, you can actually buy your train tickets online (which will guarantee your seat) and arrive at the train station carefree.

In terms of weight, 8 kg was perfect. I was actually very happy with my packing and pretty much used everything I brought with me with the exception of preventative meds I brought for any case of food poisoning. I was happy not to use that one :) But really, you learn very quickly how little you need and you always meet pilgrims who either leave stuff behind or send it back home.

Money-wise also worked out well for me and I balanced getting pilgrims' menu and sometimes buying food at the supermarket.

One tip that I can think of, though the question didn't come up-
The first full day from SJPDP is a long and not-so-easy day. One of the best recommendations that I received myself was to consider stopping at Orisson. This will split the first long day into two shorter days. Though I knew that physically I could go the whole way, I decided to take it easy and give my body the chance to get used to walking. I was very happy with that decision. So, if you decide to spend the night at Orisson, it's best to let the people at the pilgrims' office in Saint Jean know, so that they can make the call and reserve a spot for you- the albergue at Orisson isn't very big (this was the only time on the Camino that I made reservations).

Hope this helps. Feel free to send pm or ask more questions :)

Buen Camino!
Michal

--

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
hi all, im also a first timer arriving at pamplona airport on 23rd march , and from there hoping to take the express 'donkey" to st Jean pdp. im wondering if im being a bit silly by not planning more thoroughly. My approach at this point is too just get to stjean and find out routes and where to stay day by day from there. All the information on this forum makes wonderfull reading but ive definately got overload and the result seems to be me burying my head in the sand (is that a south african saying i wonder) and wanting to just "do it my way" which at this point is - no planning! what say you?

AllisonDe said:
My approach at this point is too just get to stjean and find out routes and where to stay day by day from there.

Hi! That sounds like a good approach to me. As I've posted elsewhere, the preparation is important; making sure you have the right equipment and not too much of it! Any complicated planning could quickly go by the wayside once you've met your Camino family, or the weather intervenes. With a good guide book and the info you'll get from the Pilgrim Office in SJPP you can plan day-to-day depending on how far you feel comfortable walking, and just how you feel on the day!

Buen Camino!

There's definitely plenty of room for creativity and spontaneity! I agree with tyrrek- if you have a good guidebook, you can make decisions as you go and for me that was one of the magical things about the Camino. My previous suggestions were mostly regarding the first 1-2 days, where I think some people still don't really know what to expect or what to do. Walking will teach you so much and you'll quickly figure out your own rhythm, likes and dislikes, what to do and when.

Planning in terms of what you take can come in handy, just so that you don't carry too much stuff. On the other hand, you can find and buy almost anything you need along the way, in case you're missing something.

Michal
--

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Absolutely! Nothing to worry about. Like so many people say, just start walking. The rest will take care of itself. It really will :) People will help you. The Camino will take care of you. After a few days, your anxiety will be gone and you won't want to ever leave. Promise ...

thanks for info Tyrrek but cannot find a 8.29 train leaving Paris on any train site. there is an earlier one but the 8.29 would have given me a bit more time to find my way from hostel to train station - unless Im completely missing something.

thanks too Michal for comments -
I have seen a few others recommend a stop at Orisson. There is one of the 'veterans' who often suggests this but I am tossing up whether to stop there or not. It seems you do have to book so that means deciding before hand.
I like the idea of taking on the whole high route in one day...but pacing myself would be the sensible thing to do. ...jury is still out on that one
karen

Hi Karen

I should have clarified - I didn't have your exact travel date to hand so I just typed in a random weekday. If you're travelling at a weekend it may be different. That website I sent the link to doesn't let you book too far in advance either.

Based on the middle of next week, there's a TGV train from Paris Montparnasse (8.29) to Bayonne (13.56). Then the local train from Bayonne (15.05) arriving SJPP at 16.23.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
mystery solved...the wonderfully convenient train leaving 8.29am from Paris is only on the winter timetable and I am not going till April. so an early start from Paris it is but really pleased I can get to SJPP early and not stress about getting my credencial and dinner etc.

however, in the process of booking train, I have discovered tgv-europe.com and I will add this information because it may be helpful to others.
(I havent seen this on the forum but if Im repeating old news just ignore).

http://www.tgv-europe.com is the english language version of the french railway site (voyages-scnf). When you go on the site, it will try to send you to one of the various raileurope sites and thats fine if you are in the UK because you end up on raileurope.co.uk which has roughly the same fares. But if you get diverted to one of the other raileurope sites (eg raileurope.co.nz and others) they dont show all the cheaper fares.
so when the site asks you if you want to go to raileurope or stay on tgv-europe then click the latter.
The train from Paris to SJPP on raileurope.co.nz is about $NZ60 more expensive than tgv-europe (thats about 30 pounds roughly).
for much clearer instructions than these, check out http://www.seat61.com which is the greatest rail site in the world (I think Ive said this before) and click on 'how to buy european train tickets'.
Wow...I just gave some advice and I havent even got to the Camino....!! :D

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back