• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fitbit surge - Your experience

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
I recently switched to the Fitbit Surge activity tracking device. So far I have been happy with it's capabilities. That said, I have noticed the need to charge the device far more often than I anticipated. I typically walk about 3-8 miles daily and like to track my walk using GPS function. I am concerned the device might not hold up an entire day on the Camino.

I was wondering what the experience of other users has been with this device on an average 20 km to longer 40 km day on the Camino.

Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a Charge HR and had the same problem, it didn't last long between charges. In the end I deactivated the HR function when not on a hike and the battery now lasts a lot longer. Is there some function on your Surge that you don't need and could switch off while you use your GPS, to avoid draining the battery?

Leave it at home. I started the Camino with a Fitbit, but the Camino taketh away.......best thing that ever happened. I didn't even realize that it was preventing me from being in the moment until I lost it. Just walk until you get there; wherever there may be.

Why do you need it?

I used 'map my walk' on my phone, just as a curiosity more than anything. See how far I had walked. How far to go.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I exchanged the Surge for the Charge HR without trying out the Surge - it was too bulky for me. The Charge battery does not last as long as I'd hoped. Three to four days. I enjoy using it as a watch and to get an idea of how much I've walked each day. Nothing dramatic - it certainly does not change my behaviour.

I exchanged the Surge for the Charge HR without trying out the Surge - it was too bulky for me. The Charge battery does not last as long as I'd hoped. Three to four days. I enjoy using it as a watch and to get an idea of how much I've walked each day. Nothing dramatic - it certainly does not change my behaviour.
Totally agree Kanga. I use it at home all the time as a watch and also to help with keeping fit. So I take it on Camino's as a watch and as an interest thing to see how far I walk. It never has any bearing on where we are going to stay each night.

I have been using a Surge for several months now and the battery drains fast indeed when using gps. I am not sure if it will last a full day on the camino so I will probably not be using the gps and use the surge for steps,HR,calories.
There has been an update (http://www.cnet.com/news/fitbit-surge-update-doubles-gps-battery-life-adds-more-running-features/) for the surge recently which should increase the batterylife to 10 hours (with gps and HR) but I am not sure if the Surge will really hold on for 10 hours.

Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Maybe it's the GPS. I use the Charge HR and it goes for 3-4 days and recharges in a couple of hours, vast improvement on the Flex. Bought before Surge was out here and glad I did. Interesting comparison between Charge HR and Surge here: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/02/fitbit-charge-hr-review-the-king-of-fitness-trackers-is-back/

Lachance:

I am sure it is the GPS but to this point have not walked a Camino length day and was curious as to others experience. Thank you for the link and feedback.

Joe

I have a Charge HR and had the same problem, it didn't last long between charges. In the end I deactivated the HR function when not on a hike and the battery now lasts a lot longer. Is there some function on your Surge that you don't need and could switch off while you use your GPS, to avoid draining the battery?

Nidarosa:

That does seem like a possibility. I have started shutting down the Bluetooth on my phone and only downloading the data twice a day. I am sure the continual data dump adds to the battery drain. Did you use your device on a Camino?

Joe

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Leave it at home. I started the Camino with a Fitbit, but the Camino taketh away.......best thing that ever happened. I didn't even realize that it was preventing me from being in the moment until I lost it. Just walk until you get there; wherever there may be.

Susan:

That is definitely and option. I have Atrial Fib and monitor my HR. I had Ablation surgery in 2010 but still like to monitor my heart rate. I would also like to track my walk day to day to mark points of interest. I see my walks as introspective journeys and do not feel this device will be a distraction for me.

Joe

@jpflavin1 : I have used a Fitbit Flex on a few walks but sadly on the last one it fell off my wrist somewhere, probably when I put my backpack on :( I had set it to buzz at 10 k, this was my signal that I was about half way there and it was time for refreshments. At first I tried to be zen about it and think that I didn't need to validate myself by measuring my achievements, but that soon wore off and I bought another Fitbit - a Charge HR, in part because it has a proper watch like strap on it and can't fall off. I haven't used it on a Camino so far, but I will in April, this is why I had already started thinking about making the battery last longer between charges. I think turning the Bluetooth off is a great idea, you can still see your kms, heart rate etc on the Fitbit itself and then just transfer the data to phone later. I don't feel it's a distraction either - and I set it to buzz in the morning too, to make sure I get up but without waking anyone else.

Why do you need it?

I used 'map my walk' on my phone, just as a curiosity more than anything. See how far I had walked. How far to go.

Robo:

I use it to monitor my HR and to track my walks. My plan this year was to use it to way-mark point of interest.

Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Annie:

Could I ask why?

Joe

The first one I bought was the wristwatch one.
It was bulky and bugged me.
I hit it on everything.

Then I got the one you pin to your clothes.
I don't know. It just seemed I didn't find it useful.
I had trouble making it work correctly.
But I am not the most computer/electronics literate person around.
I'm sure it was me.

Kanga:

Thanks for your response. I used to use a Jawbone device but back to back Camino's it stopped working and five days and required almost daily charging.

While at home, I have found the devices somewhat motivational. Especially on days when I am lazy. Reaching my daily established targets has become the norm.

My need on the Camino is to monitor HR and for my own curiosity about tracking daily walks and way marking points of interest.

Joe

Totally agree Kanga. I use it at home all the time as a watch and also to help with keeping fit. So I take it on Camino's as a watch and as an interest thing to see how far I walk. It never has any bearing on where we are going to stay each night.

Marbuck:

How did it hold up day to day?

Joe

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have been using a Surge for several months now and the battery drains fast indeed when using gps. I am not sure if it will last a full day on the camino so I will probably not be using the gps and use the surge for steps,HR,calories.
There has been an update (http://www.cnet.com/news/fitbit-surge-update-doubles-gps-battery-life-adds-more-running-features/) for the surge recently which should increase the batterylife to 10 hours (with gps and HR) but I am not sure if the Surge will really hold on for 10 hours.

Buen Camino.

Martin:

Thanks for the feedback and link.

Joe

The first one I bought was the wristwatch one.
It was bulky and bugged me.
I hit it on everything.

Then I got the one you pin to your clothes.
I don't know. It just seemed I didn't find it useful.
I had trouble making it work correctly.
But I am not the most computer/electronics literate person around.
I'm sure it was me.

Annie:

I have had no discomfort with the watch. We all have a different comfort level with electronic devices from nothing to everything that we can find.

Joe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had not heard about the Fitbit Surge until now. I have a Jawbone I use to monitor my sleep and as a silent alarm clock, one that can wake me while not in deap sleep wishin x minutes from when I need to be up. On the Camino super useful to wake up without waking others. As for distance I now know that on average I walk 37 000 steps a day on the Camino.

But I did go visit the Surge website and the home page says the battery lasts for a week, unless on GPS mode: 10 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marbuck:

How did it hold up day to day?

Joe
I have the Charge HR, worked great. I had to charge it about every 4 or 5 days but that was not a problem. It gives you some idea of distance to go before the next village. If you like this sort of thing then I think the Charge HR on a Camino is a great idea. You take a watch so why not combine a watch with a step/km counter.

Robo:

I use it to monitor my HR and to track my walks. My plan this year was to use it to way-mark point of interest.

Joe
There was a recent news article on criticisms that the Fitbit HR monitor understates real HR, can't remember which model. Fitbit claimed in response that it performed accurately in lab tests, so maybe it works for most people. I've used different HR monitors for years, last watch type (MIO), before that the chest strap type. Both agreed with the built in ones on gym machines. The Charge HR understates my HR by 10-15% compared to these others, so I would be wary about relying on it without cross-checking its readings with another device, especially if you mainly use it for medical reasons, not just as a fitness accessory.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There was a recent news article on criticisms that the Fitbit HR monitor understates real HR, can't remember which model. Fitbit claimed in response that it performed accurately in lab tests, so maybe it works for most people. I've used different HR monitors for years, last watch type (MIO), before that the chest strap type. Both agreed with the built in ones on gym machines. The Charge HR understates my HR by 10-15% compared to these others, so I would be wary about relying on it without cross-checking its readings with another device, especially if you mainly use it for medical reasons, not just as a fitness accessory.

LaChance:

I have read that same article. My experience so far is that the HR is pretty accurate, with the exception of when I walk on a treadmill. Not sure what the reasoning is but I have sent a note to their help line today. The other issue, of which I do not have any true history, is the battery. I was expecting several days between charges using GPS. I have had to recharge every other day when I regularly use the GPS function. I have been experimenting with turning off bluetooth on my phone so they are not continually talking to each other. This seems to help. I will keep trying other options and am hoping others with more experience, using this device, might offer additional suggestions.

Joe

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.