• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Show me your backpack!

SarahTheKiwi

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning 2024 Camino Frances
Hi I'm after inspiration for where you put your drinks, snacks, or whatever it is your store on the front of your backpack for quick access. My backpack is female specific, which I've found means the straps are narrow and are less bulky than the men's/unisex backpacks - hence less room to attach stuff. I've put a water bottle holder on one side and a carabiner on the other side to which things can be attached. The waistband unfortunately doesn't have pockets. I will have my valuables in a small neck/cross shoulder pouch worn under my pack. I could potentially attach things to the cross-chest strap (could be annoying too!).

So please let me see your set up. I want to arrive on the Camino having thought this through a little bit. Many thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What pack do you have?
Maybe others can show you how they use it?
This is mine (straos 34L) but it has a big hip belt with pockets, pack side pockets (which I don't really use), a great top pocket where I keep stuff I need during the day......

I don't hang stuff around my neck.
Water on the front where I can closely monitor it.
Main snacks in the top pocket as I'll be stopping to eat those.
Trail snacks in hip belt pocket.

I would avoid having things hanging off on caribeeners.
Gear needs to be secure and not swinging around.
Maybe use a waterbottle holder as an extra front pouch attached to a shoulder strap?

Example.

pouch.jpg

Last edited:
Oh Sarah, you have opened a wound! ;) I had a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus which served me well on three Caminos, plus numerous walks in Australia, New Zealand and the UK, but on my last Camino wear and tear finally caught up with it and it fell apart, held together with duct tape for the last couple of hundred kilometers. After a suitable mourning period I'm now looking for a replacement.

As far as set up goes, I am of the opinion that nothing should hang off the pack, so I would not have a carabiner. If it does not fit inside or in the outside pockets it stays behind. I had pouches that attached to the waist band (you can buy these separately) that held snacks and sunscreen, a side pocket for my water bottle and my valuables were in a pouch either in my shirt pocket or hanging off my belt inside my pants. My credential I kept handy in the pocket of my cargo pants, along with a few euros.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My eyeglass/sunglass case is hooked to the front of mine with a carabiner (croakies brand case) That way I can swap glasses as needed and they don't take up room in my pack. I can unhook from the pack and hook to a belt loop or cross body bag if I am on a bus, plane, or going for dinner after checking into the albergue.
20240118_051016.jpg

Sarah, no waist pockets? That is a shame, I found them invaluable for storing my snacks. It's not the end of the world though. Whilst I use water bottles I also use one of the converta tubes for easy access. It's easy to keep track of my water because I have the tube attached to a 500 ml bottle, and top it up when I run out. I know that if I haven't drunk half a litre in 2-3 hours I am not drinking enough. ( More when hot!) Because the water is in my pack it also keeps it cooler. ( Currently it's stopping it from freezing!).
IMG_20230720_095746626_HDR.jpg One shoulder strap has my GoPro on it, the other has the tube.
I also have a carabiner but it's not really necessary - very seldom used.
Side pockets - one has my poncho tucked in for quick and easy access. I can just reach back, pull it out, and put it on in less than a minute, without stopping. On the other side I often tightly strap-on whatever extra layer I was wearing first thing in the morning. The main reason for that is that I often use it during breaks to ensure I don't cool down too quickly.
The rear mesh pocket has my toilet kit and a spare rubbish bag. At least three safety pins pinned into the back of the bag too ( I carry 10) - I change my socks after around three to four hours and dry them. Sometimes my face cloth. Or of course any washing that hasn't dried from the day before.
Top pockets - outer has lunch, fruit, mini daypack (20l) and a square of bubble wrap for sitting on.
Inner - first aid kit for quick and easy access. A couple of small personal items.

Waist belt I'm wearing is a hangover from former times. Way too big! Pen, small change purse inc. my debit card, phone, power bank, passport and credential ( in a zip lock bag). Notes € in back zipped pocket. I carry absolute Max €50.
(Rest, credit card, 2nd ID is elsewhere, ).

Suggestion would be packed things where you think you would like them. You're about to do your shake down on the Milford track as I recall so you'll soon find out if you've got it right or not!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Slightly unflattering photo of 2 chubby older pilgrims (yea, that's us). But you can see my set up. Water bottle on one side, glasses case on the other, and a flat waist belt carrier for credential, phone, etc. (I don't eat while walking so snacks elsewhere.)
20230625_124930.jpg

I carry a water bottle in my cargo pants pocket, or in a pocket of my Macabi skirt, whichever I happen to be wearing.

FYI, in another pocket, I carry a small amount of toilet paper and a small plastic bag (think produce department in grocery store). This is so that I am prepared to leave my pack beside the trail and step away to eliminate aforementioned water.

I keep things neat and tidy on the external surfaces of my pack. Don’t want constant jangles or swinging things as I walk. Two Nalgenes for water, one on either side, bottle opener, carabiner just in case, mug for opportune beverage moments including the wine fountain at Irache if I’m on the Frances. Critical for me are the small pockets in the waist strap…..in which I keep, small quick dry cloth for sweaty uphill moments and spills, rubber bungs for my poles (on/off all the time), small knife, mints and phone. Oh and my shell is hung from one of the external straps. The things I like about Deuter packs is that they are simple and don't have lots of straps and dangly bits, they also have a magnificent ‘airflow’ system to keep your back dry.
IMG_2579.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I keep things neat and tidy on the external surfaces of my pack. Don’t want constant jangles or swinging things as I walk. Two Nalgenes for water, one on either side, bottle opener, carabiner just in case, mug for opportune beverage moments including the wine fountain at Irache if I’m on the Frances. Critical for me are the small pockets in the waist strap…..in which I keep, small quick dry cloth for sweaty uphill moments and spills, rubber bungs for my poles (on/off all the time), small knife, mints and phone. Oh and my shell is hung from one of the external straps. The things I like about Deuter packs is that they are simple and don't have lots of straps and dangly bits, they also have a magnificent ‘airflow’ system to keep your back dry.
View attachment 162328
Looks like you have extra carabiners for "dangle bits" though?

You can also find after-market waist belt pockets that simply slide on to your waist belt. It seems to me that they are actually a bit larger than the pockets that are integral to the wais belt.

As others have said, I prefer not to have things dangling loosely from my pack, whether front or rear. A little part of my brain devotes itself to subconsciously worrying whether those dangling things will still be there when I reach my next rest stop, and that worry wears on me after a while. Easier to avoid the whole thing by securely attaching things in waist belt or shoulder strap pockets or inside my pack.

I found that i could slide a disposable water bottle in and out of the left side pocket of my pack while walking. I used that bottle for the whole Camino. I couldn’t get the right side one so that one came out at rest stops. I didn’t use the pockets in my hip belt because they landed on the curve of my hip so we’re really awkward to access. I carried a Uniqlo bag cross body. It held my credentiale, passport, wallet and eyeglasses case. My phone was in my pants pocket. I didn’t need snacks while walking so they were in my pack but they would fit in my cross body bag. That bag is amazing. It’s very light and seems to fit anything I put in it without being bulky. And it’s machine washable!

Attachments

• IMG_3947.png
    IMG_3947.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 177
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you put 'military belt pouches' into Ebay all sorts of them come up in many sizes and shapes, easy to attach them to your hip belt - all the go-to storage you would need - and they are cheap too!

This sort of things-l1600.jpg

I'm so excited to show you my pack, thanks for asking and starting this thread!

Here's the plan:

Main body: pack liner and everything not in the outer pockets

Front - right shoulder pocket: sunglasses in pouch

Front - left shoulder pocket: snacks

Front - right daisy chain: safety light

Front - left daisy chain: nothing

Front - right hip pocket: snacks

Front - left hip pocket: headlamp, handkerchief, cloth mask

Front - waist pack: phone, short four-foot charging cord, battery bank, daily money wallet on a string safety pinned to the inner lining, headphones, credencial, passport

Left - side pocket: water bottle

Right - side pocket: water bottle

Back - off the top loop: scallop shell

Back - large back pocket: rain jacket, rain pants, first aid kit, poop kit, shower shoes, dry bag with journal and pencil inside, waterproof soap bag with soap + sisal scrubber inside

Back - right lower loop: carabiner, pee cloth

Back - left lower loop: safety light

Back - zip pocket in lid: foldable sun hat (when not worn), buff (when not worn)

I'm considering taking my hand sanitizer out of the poop kit and hanging it off the pack as well for easier access. It would go next to where the pee cloth is currently hanging.

Thanks for letting me be excited in your thread!

Attachments

• IMG_1186.jpg
    IMG_1186.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1185.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 117
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Gregory Stout 45 pack in Orange! Left waist belt pocket - tissues and she-wee (which I have never needed lol) and a small quick dry towel/facecloth for drying wet patio chairs. Right waist belt pocket - snacks - small pack of nuts and headlamp. Left mesh pocket of pack - large water bottle. Right mesh pocket of pack - bananas or other fruit, sometimes my zip sweater is stuffed in there as well. Carabiner on left shoulder/chest strap with small water bottle for easy access. Carabiner on right shoulder strap with sunglass case/pouch. Mesh pocket middle of pack - emergency snack rations (cheese, nuts, dried fruit), and first aid (ibuprofen gel and tabs, bandages etc) Top zip pocket of pack - rain cover for pack and a pair of socks to switch out during the day. Rain gear is in a compression sack always at the top of my pack along with my "purse". Left pocket of leggings or pants - phone. Right pocket of leggings or pants - glasses.
Pack bottom to top inside - sleeping bag, clothing in a packing cube or compression bag, toiletries/shower stuff, sandals slipped into the sides, purse and rain gear.
I chose a larger pack to fit my poles for flights/trains and to allow some room for shopping at the end.

Sarah, no waist pockets? That is a shame, I found them invaluable for storing my snacks. It's not the end of the world though. Whilst I use water bottles I also use one of the converta tubes for easy access. It's easy to keep track of my water because I have the tube attached to a 500 ml bottle, and top it up when I run out. I know that if I haven't drunk half a litre in 2-3 hours I am not drinking enough. ( More when hot!) Because the water is in my pack it also keeps it cooler. ( Currently it's stopping it from freezing!).
View attachment 162312 One shoulder strap has my GoPro on it, the other has the tube.
Side pockets - one has my poncho tucked in for quick and easy access. I can just reach back, pull it out, and put it on in less than a minute, without stopping. On the other side I often tightly strap-on whatever extra layer I was wearing first thing in the morning. The main reason for that is that I often use it during breaks to ensure I don't cool down too quickly.
The rear mesh pocket has my toilet kit and a spare rubbish bag. At least three safety pins pinned into the back of the bag too ( I carry 10) - I change my socks after around three to four hours and dry them. Sometimes my face cloth. Or of course any washing that hasn't dried from the day before.
Top pockets - outer has lunch, fruit, mini daypack (20l) and a square of bubble wrap for sitting on.
Inner - first aid kit for quick and easy access. A couple of small personal items.

Waist belt I'm wearing is a hangover from former times. Way too big! Pen, small change purse inc. my debit card, phone, power bank, passport and credential ( in a zip lock bag). Notes € in back zipped pocket. I carry absolute Max €50.

Suggestion would be packed things where you think you would like them. You're about to do your shake down on the Milford track as I recall so you'll soon find out if you've got it right or not!
Wow you've put some thought into this! I do like pre-planning and being organised. My previous hiking pack had nice pockets, especially around the waist, but it is a 50L 1990s model - too heavy. There's a lot to think about, but like you say a four day field trip to Milford Track to get the hang of things! At least on the Milford everywhere is water! I suspect the first couple of days of the Camino I might be still be ironing things out.

You can also find after-market waist belt pockets that simply slide on to your waist belt. It seems to me that they are actually a bit larger than the pockets that are integral to the wais belt.

As others have said, I prefer not to have things dangling loosely from my pack, whether front or rear. A little part of my brain devotes itself to subconsciously worrying whether those dangling things will still be there when I reach my next rest stop, and that worry wears on me after a while. Easier to avoid the whole thing by securely attaching things in waist belt or shoulder strap pockets or inside my pack.
Hi - I'm trying to buy something that will slide nicely onto my waistbelt. I haven't been able to find anything yet. When I was in the military it came under the category "webbing". Something to hold a few cashew nuts or small toiletry items, not together of course. At least a waistbelt attachment won't "jangle".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi - I'm trying to buy something that will slide nicely onto my waistbelt. I haven't been able to find anything yet. When I was in the military it came under the category "webbing". Something to hold a few cashew nuts or small toiletry items, not together of course. At least a waistbelt attachment won't "jangle".

Hi @SarahTheKiwi, I use a Gossamer Gear hipbelt pocket on my hipbelt. Love it! I keep my snacks and a few other items in there.

Could you please let us know which pack you are using? This would make it easier to help further. 🙂

I also used the neck pouch wallet as a crossbody for my money and passport. It was great. If you don’t have pockets on your hip straps I would recommend getting a dry bag (sil material) that has a clip to attack around your hip belt. I did this a few times on my Camino but I don’t have any pics. Last year when I did the CP I kind of ditched the neck pouch and just put my wallet, passport and credential in the dry bag and carried it like a little handbag in the evening around town.

1.5L or 3L is what I have. Mine is bright orange so I can’t lose it. https://seatosummit.com/products/lightweight-dry-bag?variant=42043829780653

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What pack do you have?
This is mine (straos 34L) but it has a big hip belt with pockets, pack side pockets (which I don't really use), a great top pocket where I keep stuff I need during the day......

Maybe use a waterbottle holder as an extra front pouch attached to a shoulder strap?

Example.

View attachment 162304

Hi Robo,
Slightly off topic...but.. have you been able to get the Stratos 34 through as carry on on all your international and domestic (European and Australian) flights?

Hi Robo,
Slightly off topic...but.. have you been able to get the Stratos 34 through as carry on on all your international and domestic (European and Australian) flights?

Yes, no problem at all.
Though I take out my tiny SIL 22 L day pack, that I use for shopping, and use that as my 'handbag' on the plane. Stuff that I need during the flight. That takes a bit out of the pack.

Also, I check in a mailing tube with my poles, umbrella and sharps.

But does the Stratos 34L fit overhead lockers etc. Yes.
But do check carefully your airlines max dimensions.

P.25 April. An Osprey Stratos 34 fits a380 locker.jpg

Pack light, go far. go easy :)

Opps - sorry guys. This is my pack -
Macpac Voyager 35L Backpack
Hi Sarah that's a great travel pack - hopefully it'll also work out for you on the trail. Although doing a quick Google search, I see two different versions of that pack. Which do you have? Perhaps you could actually upload a link.
Wow you've put some thought into this!
A bit, but to be fair a lot of it is just second nature born from experience. A little of which you're about to gain on your shakedown hike!

Being ex forces I presume you're no stranger to carrying a pack and making sure it's comfortable.

At 125cm it's only just over ( for example) Air New Zealand carry on regulations of 118cm so you'll probably be fine. So long as you get it at or below 7kg - relatively easy if you're also carrying a small day pack for after camino use. Just whip out a couple of heavy items for your 'under seat' bag and you're sorted. (I always put mine back in before I get on the plane).

Good that it's got a separate bottom compartment, ideal for compressible items (sleeping bag / wear, extra socks), or items you want quick and easy access to like towel, rainwear etc. The internal zip compartment is also useful, although possibly not as good as one in the top would have been. (I prefer packs with hoods because there's less chance of water egress) As it's what you have, the important thing to do is figure out what is going to be best placed where. (Eg. as you probably know it's important not to place anything heavy there). Because it's at the back and you can't see it, I would not put valuables ( passport, cash) in there. Mind you, they should always be with you - not in your backpack!
I presume that your army training showed you where you should stow the weight etc in your pack. If not Reddit for example had a good diagram online. https://i.redd.it/how-to-pack-a-hik...pg?s=5d300a359cf9e98d030c384911cd4d22022cc4cd
I don't see a pack cover? (unless I missed it in the description). They can be useful, especially in light showers when you can't be bothered putting on your rainwear, (remembering you will dry faster than your pack as you are warm.) Or for just laying your pack down on a dirty surface - the cover is easily washable.
With the zip, and no pack cover it makes it doubly important to use a decent pack-liner of some description. (Good quality rubbish bag for example!) Unless you've got a quality poncho, and even then as you're going in April I think I would still want one. Think of it as lightweight insurance.

I think I'd better stop before I offer to come and pack your bag for you 😂. Enjoy the Milford track!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Sarah that's a great travel pack - hopefully it'll also work out for you on the trail. Although doing a quick Google search, I see two different versions of that pack. Which do you have? Perhaps you could actually upload a link.

A bit, but to be fair a lot of it is just second nature born from experience. A little of which you're about to gain on your shakedown hike!

Being ex forces I presume you're no stranger to carrying a pack and making sure it's comfortable.

At 125cm it's only just over ( for example) Air New Zealand carry on regulations of 118cm so you'll probably be fine. So long as you get it at or below 7kg - relatively easy if you're also carrying a small day pack for after camino use. Just whip out a couple of heavy items for your 'under seat' bag and you're sorted. (I always put mine back in before I get on the plane).

Good that it's got a separate bottom compartment, ideal for compressible items (sleeping bag / wear, extra socks), or items you want quick and easy access to like towel, rainwear etc. The internal zip compartment is also useful, although possibly not as good as one in the top would have been. (I prefer packs with hoods because there's less chance of water egress) As it's what you have, the important thing to do is figure out what is going to be best placed where. (Eg. as you probably know it's important not to place anything heavy there). Because it's at the back and you can't see it, I would not put valuables ( passport, cash) in there. Mind you, they should always be with you - not in your backpack!
I presume that your army training showed you where you should stow the weight etc in your pack. If not Reddit for example had a good diagram online. https://i.redd.it/how-to-pack-a-hik...pg?s=5d300a359cf9e98d030c384911cd4d22022cc4cd
I don't see a pack cover? (unless I missed it in the description). They can be useful, especially in light showers when you can't be bothered putting on your rainwear, (remembering you will dry faster than your pack as you are warm.) Or for just laying your pack down on a dirty surface - the cover is easily washable.
With the zip, and no pack cover it makes it doubly important to use a decent pack-liner of some description. (Good quality rubbish bag for example!) Unless you've got a quality poncho, and even then as you're going in April I think I would still want one. Think of it as lightweight insurance.

I think I'd better stop before I offer to come and pack your bag for you 😂. Enjoy the Milford track!
Oh yes please do the packing for me! I'm starting to think of all the "just in case" things I need to pack and nope! Slap on the hand - going minimal here. It's a fine line between going minimal and being uncomfortable though. Don't want to tip that balance too far.

I have bought a rain cover for my pack, a little extra weight, but worth it. Will have to look into the two different models of pack. Didn't realise, although there are a variety of colours. I'm all good for packing. Heaviest stuff closest to my body, frequent use items near the top, and valuables where I can literally lay my hand on them.

My pack has a soft frame so it can cram into whatever dimension I need for air travel. I'm going Emirates and Air France. I know I can't get corkscrews and knives through as carry on luggage, but I did wonder about safety pins today!

My Pack

Last edited:
I did wonder about safety pins today
I think I've practically always got some in my (carry on) bag. By that I mean for the last 35 plus years so I doubt you'll have any issues!
If you choose to use the bungee option be very careful what you put in it. They - and broken safety pins! are a fairly major cause of many a lost item if too loose or the item works free. But of course if you used together with one of the aforesaid safety pins as a backup/security device you will hopefully have zero issues!

Hi I'm after inspiration for where you put your drinks, snacks, or whatever it is your store on the front of your backpack for quick access. My backpack is female specific, which I've found means the straps are narrow and are less bulky than the men's/unisex backpacks - hence less room to attach stuff. I've put a water bottle holder on one side and a carabiner on the other side to which things can be attached. The waistband unfortunately doesn't have pockets. I will have my valuables in a small neck/cross shoulder pouch worn under my pack. I could potentially attach things to the cross-chest strap (could be annoying too!).

So please let me see your set up. I want to arrive on the Camino having thought this through a little bit. Many thanks!
I find the little pouches on my backpack waistband pretty much useless. I have walked with a waist pack which I have found to be invaluable. light weight, but big enough to carry passports, camino credentials, phone, and snacks.
1705784731884.png

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thing is - such as the Osprey waist bag .. hiking uniform branded items are So expensive and similar items can be found at a fraction of the price - for me, I don't understand this paying lots of money to wear a name and do free advertising for them.

What pack do you have?

Example.

View attachment 162304

Watch Robo…he will try and talk you into a rice cooker!

I use a Bergens Rondane 46 pack. It has two water pocket sleeves. One is full and the other half full, unless I anticipate a long stretch without water. use empty liquor flat bottles, plastic and 750ml. They just fit better. Also a 375 m” bottle in my front picket, filled with water. I also fit two MOLLE sleeves over the waist belts to which I can attach small bags for my ID, food, etc. a bit more weight, but the convenience is worth it for me, Plus they give me more back support, which I need.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you look closely at this pic, you will see that the side pockets of this Osprey pack seem tailor-made to hold bottles of wine and the "ice axe" loop works best holding a tasting glass. Yes, I DID do this while I walked through the Bierzo region. But more seriously, the stretchy loops I attached to the upper part of my shoulder straps to hold bottles of water (see in my profile pic) were incredibly convenient and comfortable.

Attachments

• bierzo wine.jpg
    bierzo wine.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 76

I have bought a bag from a $2 shop, removed the existing strap and made a loop to fit a belt through. The initial one was too small to fit it through. Reinforced the stitching. Wasn't pretty, but did work. If it doesn't work you haven't invested a lot.
I did that with a bottle holder once too. I had a padded one that I never used so I cut the strap part off the top and attached the padded tube part with rivets to my pack strap. Eventually fell off but worked for a while.
I try to not have things dangle, but I do that with my cap and jandals, at the back of my pack. They dont bother me swinging about as I cant see or feel them. and if it annoys someone else, I cant see them either.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hi we use the New Zealand back packs invented by Aarn, he is a great designer.
We wore them on our 2016 El Camino and will again have them this April when we walk the El Camino again.
The from two pockets are great for extra socks, water bottles, phone and power pack, snacks etc. you can increase the front weight of your pack and this gives you greater balance.
Go on the webb sight as they are exporting them as well
Many Pilgrims were fascinated by there design when they saw us wearing them.

I'm after inspiration for where you put your drinks, snacks, or whatever it is your store on the front of your backpack for quick access ...

So please let me see your set up

I, and several other male and female community members, use a Zpacks pack.

My model is Arc Haul Ultra 50L Backpack

The pics show a water bottle shoulder strap attachment AND a water bottle in the side pocket AND a commercial drinking system tube access.

I first tried the CamelBak reservoir inside the pack with a hose and self closing mouthpiece. Despite having an overwhelming aversion to having any liquids inside the pack. And found refilling time consuming (first unpack as necessary, remove the reservoir ... ).

Then I tried, from Blue Desert, a mouth price and hose inserted through the supplied screw cap (fits all 1.0 / 1.5 litre plastic bottles)
The bottle sits in the side pocket and is easily accessed for refilling, cleansing etc
The hose drapes over the shoulder and is easily accessed for a sip without stopping while underway.

Regrettably Blue Desert was bought out and the purchaser stopped making the product.

Now, using the general idea, I make my own for standby.
  • Buy a mouthpiece (Camelbak are good)
  • Buy tubing (1 metre per each) that will fit the mouthpiece.
  • Buy a soft plastic "washer" that will take that tubing
  • Drill a hole in the bottle cap that will take that washer
  • Drill a hole in the bottle cap for a flutter valve (to relieve pressure as water is taken out)
When travelling (locally or to Europe) I carry my own 1.5 litre bottle. This way I am "ready for action" immediately on arrival.

I've read down and note you have a Macpac Voyager 35L Backpack. (forget the Zpack, very pricey)

And I notice side pockets about halfway up.

Perfect. Will it take a 1 or 1.5 L drink bottle?

Kia kaha

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've settled on water / drink bottles in the actual bottle holders on my pack. I've experimented different ways but I can reach them on this pack, Osprey Manta 34. I used to add a waist bag and carabiner, but I've gotten my supplies and pack weight down over the years.

Attachments

• PackAdran.png
    PackAdran.png
    705.3 KB · Views: 48
View attachment 162312 One shoulder strap has my GoPro on it, the other has the tube.

Hi Peter - quick question: what type of holder is that attaching your GoPro to your backpack strap?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes they are too small.
Aarn make universal balance pockets that fit most backpack straps that give additional 10L capacity

Universal Balance Pocket
Goodness me, those things are massive ! (I thought 10 L was a typo)
I suspect Sarah is needing something more in the 300/500ml range if it's just for her phone and a few small items.

My ones are not huge, they take a pr of socks and my phone and power bank on one side and my drink bottles on the other side.
Anyway its best to ask Aarn, rather than guess.
I found them absolutely fabulous

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I like the design of the Aarn packs - wish I'd known about them before already buying.

Today I got home from a holiday to Auckland! Oh what beautiful weather they have! I've found a perfect little pouch/satchel that can hold wallet, credential, a pen and small diary. It can be used as a very small but secure handbag for going out. On holiday I bought a powerbank too - how they have evolved since I bought my first one!

Hi Sarah, yes we are training at present and still love our Aarn packs.
When are you starting your Camino and which one?

I'm doing Camino Frances started from ST Jean PDP on 25 April (staying at Borda on the way through and skipping past Roncesvalles).

We did miles of walking around Auckland. I was carrying the kids' day pack. Lots of hills, so I think that was good training! I've realised with a shock that the Milford Track is in a week tomorrow!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Attachments

• 1d2a3873-9d12-4c25-88f1-ed0a102f6f2c.jpeg
    1d2a3873-9d12-4c25-88f1-ed0a102f6f2c.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3513.png
    IMG_3513.png
    279.2 KB · Views: 32
Camino Mozarabe, water 2lt on the long stretch to Cordoba a couple of days ago. Pack is Gossamer Gear. Two big mesh bottle pockets plus mesh stash pocket on the back. liv this unstructured lightweight pack. It's done 1000s of miles with me.

Attachments

• 1000004601.png
    1000004601.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
Top pocket: Toiletries, reading glasses
Top front pocket: Passport, credential, kindle
Bottom front pocket: electronics, shampoo, salt, electric razor/clippers
Hip belt pocket right: knife, spork, headphones, handkerchief
Hip belt pocket left: sunscreen, electrolytes
Side mesh pocket right: water bottle(s)
Side mesh pocket left: banana, mandarin, pear, turkey, dried apricots, almonds

Attachments

• IMG_0490.jpeg
    IMG_0490.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 47

€149,-
Dint forget to have your head torch accessable for early mornings. Still dark at 8 am in Spain just now. Often The Way leaves town on a highway.
A valid point, should you be willing to rise early. Personally I prefer to sleep longer and leave in daylight. In my opinion the Spanish have got it sussed!

I'm thinking my torch on my phone should hopefully suffice. I'm bringing a battery pack for charging my Garmin and phone. I will also be able to help others with charging their devices if need be.

€46,-
I'm thinking my torch on my phone should hopefully suffice. I'm bringing a battery pack for charging my Garmin and phone. I will also be able to help others with charging their devices if need be.
@SarahTheKiwi , that may or may not work on the trail - as I don't get up that early I don't know!
However I'm sure you must have read enough posts on the forum now about how most of us feel about people using their phone light in the Albergue. PLEASE don't be one of those people.
Even the most organised of people (who pre-packed everything the night before) may occasionally need some kind of light in the dormitory - to find some misplaced small item for example. If you don't want to carry a headlamp ( I don't), at least consider getting one of those tiny key fob torches and using a piece of red cellophane , red marker or similar to change the color spectrum.

I walked in warm months (May/June Sept/October) and a headlamp was a key piece of gear for me. I walked early to avoid the heat, and used mine everyday, I would never have seen the arrows without it. I remember leaving Najera, and looking back behind me, seeing a long line of lights, so I wasnt alone in this. You'll find that once you leave a village there is no light until the sun comes up.
But I'm sure you could pick one up in Pamplona.
I bought mine especially for the Camino, very lightweight, easy switch, and long lasting battery. Left it in the side pack pockets, and found it again 2 years later. Sadly no longer working.

Tip - always check the way out in the evening, so that you know where to go in the morning. Following other people isn't a guaranteed option. Always check for your own arrows.
I once followed a group and ended up adding another 4km to the walk that day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@SarahTheKiwi , that may or may not work on the trail - as I don't get up that early I don't know!
However I'm sure you must have read enough posts on the forum now about how most of us feel about people using their phone light in the Albergue. PLEASE don't be one of those people.
Even the most organised of people (who pre-packed everything the night before) may occasionally need some kind of light in the dormitory - to find some misplaced small item for example. If you don't want to carry a headlamp ( I don't), at least consider getting one of those tiny key fob torches and using a piece of red cellophane , red marker or similar to change the color spectrum.
No, I won't be one of those people! I'm usually over-considerate when it comes to noise and light. I won't be getting up and walking in the wee small hours - probably starting 7.00am or 7.30am each morning I imagine. Not sure what the daylight situation will be in April then. Will probably have to Google that one now!

probably starting 7.00am or 7.30am each morning I imagine. Not sure what the daylight situation will be in April then.
You are in luck, because the time zone in Spain will oblige you to sleep in!

Dawn in April is at about 8am, civil time (because Spain is strangely on Central European time). And solar noon is, perhaps surprisingly, at about 2:30 in the afternoon. I found this second fact took some getting used to... 1pm is not all that hot, because it is effectively about 10:30 am in terms of solar time.

1707085183612.png

You are in luck, because the time zone in Spain will oblige you to sleep in!

Dawn in April is at about 8am, civil time (because Spain is strangely on Central European time). And solar noon is, perhaps surprisingly, at about 2:30 in the afternoon. I found this second fact took some getting used to... 1pm is not all that hot, because it is effectively about 10:30 am in terms of solar time.

View attachment 163434

Interesting comment about the solar noon! It kind of makes sense to me. So if things are not as hot as I think they should be at noon, there is still plenty of potential in the day - or if things are too hot at noon take cover in the following hours because it's going to get potentially worse, not better.

€149,-
Interesting comment about the solar noon! It kind of makes sense to me. So if things are not as hot as I think they should be at noon, there is still plenty of potential in the day - or if things are too hot at noon take cover in the following hours because it's going to get potentially worse, not better.
Yes its very different from here. I would be wearing a puffer jacket most mornings, and then peel off layers as the day progressed. In Spain it gets hotter and hotter all day, we don't have that variation here.

On my first trip (during a September heatwave) I remember being in Zubiri, and at 10pm at night, being so hot, longing for a breeze, that I slept outside on the balcony. Im used to it getting cooler as soon as the sun goes down.

I can remember several times sitting down (in the shade) having lunch/dinner at 4.30 - 5.00 pm, and watching red-faced pilgrims walking past in serious heat, being extremely thankful that I'd done walking for the day.
Some people don't mind walking long hours in the heat - I'm not one of them.
I always plan to be out of the heat by 2pm.

No, I won't be one of those people! I'm usually over-considerate when it comes to noise and light. I won't be getting up and walking in the wee small hours - probably starting 7.00am or 7.30am each morning I imagine. Not sure what the daylight situation will be in April then. Will probably have to Google that one now!

I have been lucky to find fellow Pilgrims in Albergues very considerate in the morning.
So much so...........that

One morning in Rabanal, it must have been just before dawn,
I sensed people moving around very quietly in the dorm.
Back and forth to the bathroom, tip toeing so as not to wake others.
No noise, no lights......
I lay there for a bit thinking about getting up.
I think the church clock next door then chimed 7am.
As the dawn light crept in I looked around the room occupied by maybe 20 Pilgrims.
All except two were already up and quietly getting ready.
The two in bed were clearly awake, checking phones under the covers etc.

Everyone was trying to be so quiet and not disturb others.
But it was time to get up anyway!
I think the Hospi turned on the light at that point :)

It's nice when you get to share a place to rest with kind considerate Pilgrims.

Maybe it was meeting each other at afternoon tea the day before in the Albergue Garden that does it? :)

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.