• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Five Days to Santiago

aaitken

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2019
Hi All,
I am from Southern California and my husband and I have decided to walk a small portion of the Camino next Spring (late March?). Unfortunately, between the time it will take us to get to Spain and to the Camino itself, our work schedules will only allows us about five days on the Camino. I would so love to do the full 30-40 day walk, but for now, five days is better than nothing, right? At least, we will get a "taste" of the experience of being a pilgrim on this sacred route- and hopefully, perhaps after we retire, we can do the full camino. We'd love to do five days that will lead us to Santiago, but with so many routes, I am not sure which one to choose. We are in our late 40s and early 50s, reasonably fit and looking to enjoy a beautiful, scenic walk through countryside, villages, and towns. I'd love to hear suggestions about which route would be best for us. Fraces? Ingles? Norte? So many choices- I am just not sure where to begin. While we know we can't get the "full experience" of the full camino route (which makes us sad, envious and a little ashamed to ask the heartier pilgrims), we hope to get the feel for the community, solitude, and beauty of this journey. Your thoughts, suggestions and encouragements would be most welcome! Thank you in advance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you want a Compostela start in Sarria.
I would suggest starting in Saint Jean and walk to Pamplona. Beautiful scenery. That way if you only get a week or so a year you can build on that.
As for me, I did not want to arrive in Santiago until I had completed a full Camino (in my opinion).
Sarria to Santiago is a full Camino to some, just not for me.
Whatever you decide enjoy your Camino, it has already started.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you want to walk "the whole route" in 5 days I would suggest Camino Ingles from Ferrol. Very doable, good infrastructure, lush nature, nice beaches first two days, good Galician food, easy accessible from Santiago.

I would save Frances for later to do it in one go or start SJPdP/Roncesvalles and do it bit by bit every year. Many people do that but for me it takes a lot from the whole Camino experience.

Buen Camino!

Hello fellow Southern Californians, Sarria to Santiago on the Frances is definitely doeable on your timeline, but from my experience having walked from SJPP, it isn’t an accurate representation of the arc of the journey. The crowds are plenty, the journey far more commercialized, and the mindset I experienced from other pilgrims starting at that point was undesirable. I fear it may sway you from doing the entire Camino all together, my suggestion... start at St. Jean and do it bit by bit, year by year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In March I would not do the Sanabrés. It's a mountain route. Sarria to Santiago will not be crowded in March (unless you run into Easter).

I agree with KinkyOne; my vote would be for the Ingles. It’s a nice route that is comfortably achievable in five days and, as it’s your first, you may feel an added sense of satisfaction having walked a complete Camino route.

I vote for the Ingles too. If you are in reasonable shape then the distances between albergues are fine and the Xunta albergues are open all year. You will find a greater variety of landscape than the Frances. Walking a whole route from start to finish (even a short one :) ) has a special appeal. The route has less of the "theme park" atmosphere of the Frances. And so early in the year you will have little problem with crowds. A far better impression of what Galicia is about than the Frances.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would vouch for the Ingles, which can be done in 5 days, albeit including a 3rd day of 30km.

Doing a whole Camino from start to finish which qualifies for a compostela gives a different sense of achievement than doing the last 100km of a longer Camino. In addition, the first two days of the Ingles are walking round the coast which is very picturesque. The Ingles is also quieter, giving you more solitude than a much busier walk along the Frances from Sarria.

In March, it can be very wet and muddy in Galicia, but this would be the same on any of the 5 day routes into SdC. If you did walk the Ingles, look at flying into and out of La Coruna, instead of Santiago. It is often cheaper (Santiago and La Coruna are connected by regular train service when you have finished your Camino at Santiago)

One more (former) southern Californian with two cents to share... I agree with all of the above. We seem to be unified in recommending that you NOT do the route that first comes to mind: Sarria to Santiago. It's like spending three days at Disneyland and feeling that you have seen California. I, too, recommend starting in St Jean and walking to Pamplona. You'll get swept up in the excitement of undertaking this amazing journey with all the others who are embarking anew, and you'll want to return to finish it. Starting in Sarria only places you in the last leg of a momentous journey with folks with whom you won't be on the same page. As Mugatu says, it's highly commercialized and not representative of the Camino. Starting five days from Santiago on one of the other routes just seems the same... not really what the journey is about.

I walked the last 220km of the CF back in 2012 (as a sort-of 'taster'), and regretted it. I returned twice during the following two years, commencing in SJPP and completed the whole thing. I was hooked, alright. My personal viewpoint is that to focus on Santiago in the time you have (and I had) available is misguided (in the nicest possible way). Start in SJPP and get as far as you can, and then return in the future with a sense of terrific excitement...

Or walk the Ingles if you want an entire camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Another Southern Californian putting in their two cents: Sarria to Santiago.

In March most, not all albergues and attendant bars, cafes are open or opening. There will be plenty of pilgrims but not the masses during high season.

Going across that big pond is an awful long way from SoCal to not receive a Compostela.

Buen camino to you both whatever way you two choose.

Yes, Sarria to Santiago. This way you ensure the presence of pilgrims from different nationalities.
Camino Ingles is more diverse but in March you run the risk of being alone especially if you stay in hotels.

If you want to walk "the whole route" in 5 days I would suggest Camino Ingles from Ferrol. Very doable, good infrastructure, lush nature, nice beaches first two days, good Galician food, easy accessible from Santiago.

I would save Frances for later to do it in one go or start SJPdP/Roncesvalles and do it bit by bit every year. Many people do that but for me it takes a lot from the whole Camino experience.

Buen Camino!

Thank you. It seems like this might be the best one for us. It sounds like people doing the Frances sort of resent people coming in for the last five days. I would love to have the luxury of a 30 day walk, but for now, it sounds like completing (from start to finish) one doable camino might be the way to go.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back