• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flattest, easiest 200 km bike route to Santiago de Compostel

wvedec

Hello,

I am new to the board. I hope to be in Europe in 2011, sometime between the end of June and the end of July. One thing that I would like to do is earn a certificate for doing a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. I cycle about 2000 miles per year, and would like to do the pilgrimage by bike.

The only "problem" is that I cannot ride a regular bike. It is too painful. I ride a recumbent bike, which is much more comfortable. I live in southeast Louisiana, near New Orleans (yes - that's where the oil slick is :( ). It is flat as a pancake here, and that is what I am used to. Recumbents are heavier that regular bikes, and you cannot stand on the pedals. So, it is more difficult to climb hills and mountains on a recumbent bike.

I was wondering if there may be a ~200 km (which I understand is the minimum length required for the pilgrimage by bike) route that is not very hilly and could be done in less than one week (I can do 50-60 km per day without any problem, so somewhat longer than 200 km would be OK too).

Does anyone know if I have any hope to do the pilgrimage under these conditions, or should I just give up on the idea.

Thanks,
Wayne

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wayne, I have walked to Santiago from Sarria and from el Ferrol and have walked from Santiago to Fistera and it was all sharply undulating. The Galician terrain is typically coastal with many rolling hills, some steeply up and down. Having said this, a number of physically disabled pilgrims complete the camino every year in wheelchairs and recumbent bikes.
This photograph, taken in Arzua, shows a young man who had started in Pamplona. He had vehicle backup - a campervan - and most nights parked outside the albergue, used the bathroom and kitchen facilities but slept in the campervan.

If you are not disabled, and can walk, it might be easier to walk the camino from el Ferrol, Ourense, Sarria or Tui in order to earn the Compostela.

Attachments

• 162  Arzua Wheelchair Pilgrim from Pamplona.JPG
    162 Arzua Wheelchair Pilgrim from Pamplona.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 2,030

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back