• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fly fishing

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My Spanish wasn't quite up to the context, but on the Primitivo I passed a couple of streams that appeared to be signed as protected salmon waters....I would have to assume that fishing was prohibited there during certain seasons.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You could always follow in Hemingway's shoes and stop in Burguete for fly fishing. And by the way, when I was there last time, I made it a point to eat trucha as my dinner - mouth-wateringly delicious!!

You could always follow in Hemingway's shoes and stop in Burguete for fly fishing. And by the way, when I was there last time, I made it a point to eat trucha as my dinner - mouth-wateringly delicious!!

Once had a holiday near Biescas and got trout with a slice of jamón serrano inside for supper each and every day... you CAN have too much of a good thing 😇

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You would work long and hard for any fish you were lucky enough to catch. The fishing in Spain is not remotely like that in The Olympic Peninsula or the Cascades.
Except, of course, that the world record trout was caught in Aotearoa New Zealand 😉

brown-trout-world-record-sean-colenso-1-840.jpg

You won't catch that on a light rod.

Or if you prefer a Salmon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We stayed at Zuriain on the river between Larrasoana and Pamplona on our first Camino. My husband is a sometimes flyfisherman and so we enjoyed watching the fishermen there. In the early morning before we set out, the men came in for a shot of some kind of whiskey and a permit at the place where we were staying and then clomped out with their gear to find the catch of the day.

I looked at some of the rivers with a curious eye. The train from Bayonne to SJPdP follows a river that is especially nice.

I did a winter Camino though and all the rivers were closed.

I did take the time to sit and watch people fish for trout in several locations. Never saw anyone fly-fishing. I saw a few pools with trout (including below the bridge in SJPdP) and a few areas where some habitat restoration work was done (not too far past Roncevalles, if I remember correctly -- included a nice fish-friendly pedestrian bridge). While I salivated a bit whenever I saw nice water, even if I had brought a rod, flies and had the requisite licenses, I honestly did not have the time to fish while on the Camino.

Definitely something I would like to do, but not while on a Camino, mostly because of the time factor. IRT the poster with the truly awesome name:

I looked at some of the rivers with a curious eye. The train from Bayonne to SJPdP follows a river that is especially nice.

Me too. On the ride from Biarritz, I got a passenger seat tour from the amazing Carolyn with Express Bourricot. Looked like beautiful water, but she did not know a lot about the fishing situation. At one point, I saw an angler with a large European rod jogging with a sense of purpose from his vehicle to the water. He looked like a guy who knew there were fish to be caught. I've been hooked by the idea of fishing in and around the Pyrenees ever since.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Anyone walking from StJdP to Roncevalles by the Valcarlos route and beyond will encounter some lovely rivers and will also see signs stating Pesca sin Muerte, Catch and Release in UK & USA.

Locals looking to find a tasty supper will worm fish the more discrete runs with total disregard of the regulations. They likely get away with it too. An extranjero will likely find themselves in conflict with either the locals or the Guardia Civil.

@MinaKamina has provided an excellent link to help anyone hoping to fish legally. The Tinker's advice is go that way. 10 yards of 5lb breaking strain line and a few hooks are obviously going to add unnecessary weight to your backpack. Rod, Reel and Fly-box? That really is going to far on Camino.

Post Camino? Costa da Morte? Lires? Those are thoughts for another kind of Trip

There is a fly fishing museum in Hospital de Orbigo, at Paso Honroso Hotel, besides the Gas station. Very interesting to see if you come to this town of the French way. One of the locals have been world champion.
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.