A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Food and Drink of the Way!

2020 Camino Guides

John R McLean

Camino(s) past & future
Completed Camino Frances (2016)
Camino Portuguese from Porto (2017)
Iona-Rome-Jerusalem (2019-20)
As we continue to accumulate more information for us pilgrims, I was thinking about how cool it would be to include the foods of each of each region. Imagine supporting and enjoying the local foods by town or region. Or seasonal specialties that we travelling pilgrims could sample along the way. Cheeses, cured meats, fruits vegetables or specific dishes and styles of cooking. We could eat those "must try" foods all the way to Santiago, Rome, Jerusalem etc. Let's eat!

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
'CP, Frances,Norte,Salv/prim;Le puy, Inglés, CDM, Invierno, Fin/Mux, Vdlp 2019>Táb/ Prt Levante 2020
You reminded me of this Easter treat that blew me away in spain. “Torrijas’ or a spanish bread pudding or Spanish (not French) toast.
It’s so sweet and I really overindulged the first time I spent Easter in spain. Sweet tooth ....mmmmmm

I’ve just taken a copy from internet. So many recipes there to choose from.
I1586465792908.jpeg

EmoJohnson

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portuguese coastal way (2017)
Camino Frances (May/June 2018)
This may look unappealing, but it was divine food! Portuguese Coastal Route, eaten in a darling cafe, outside, next to rushing water, in a jewel box of a town (name will come; I have quarantine brain) May 2017

Attachments

John R McLean

Camino(s) past & future
Completed Camino Frances (2016)
Camino Portuguese from Porto (2017)
Iona-Rome-Jerusalem (2019-20)
This may look unappealing, but it was divine food! Portuguese Coastal Route, eaten in a darling cafe, outside, next to rushing water, in a jewel box of a town (name will come; I have quarantine brain) May 2017
Ah yes the Padrons and Sardines!

Guy Strachan

Alba Guido
Camino(s) past & future
Frances ('13/'14), Portugues ('15), Finisterre ('16/'19); Ingles ('17); Sanabres ('18); Invierno '20
As we continue to accumulate more information for us pilgrims, I was thinking about how cool it would be to include the foods of each of each region. Imagine supporting and enjoying the local foods by town or region. Or seasonal specialties that we travelling pilgrims could sample along the way. Cheeses, cured meats, fruits vegetables or specific dishes and styles of cooking. We could eat those "must try" foods all the way to Santiago, Rome, Jerusalem etc. Let's eat!
It has to be Pulpo a Feria for me - my Camino isn’t in gear until I’ve had my first racion in Galicia!
Some local dry white wine to wash it down ideally...
Buen provecho!

Last edited:

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Calamari in Portugal - completely ruined me for Calamari back in my landlocked home.
View attachment 73130View attachment 73131
I hear ya! We ordered calamari in Portugal many times...the rings, chiperones, and baby squids cooked in various sauces. I loved it all, but by the time we made it across the border I'd finally had enough. 😛

Camino(s) past & future
Vol Pilgm office 15
CF 16+17
Vol Pilgm House 18
Kerry&Ingles 19
Portuguese( ? 2020, 2021?)
This settles it, please everyone keep posting about food and don't forget the pictures. I'm taking notes, I am going to eat my way across Spain, and Portugal, next time. I'll only walk to get to more food, Joost is my new role model.

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(10,11,17), Vasco(12), Salvador(13), CP(13), CN(14), Madrid (16), Mozarabe (18), VdlP(19)
You reminded me of this Easter treat that blew me away in spain. “Torrijas’ or a spanish bread pudding or Spanish (not French) toast.
It’s so sweet and I really overindulged the first time I spent Easter in spain. Sweet tooth ....mmmmmm

I’ve just taken a copy from internet. So many recipes there to choose from.
IView attachment 72887
Definitely one of my favorites

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 318 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 92 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 363 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock