• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For the Ladies

WayWalker63

I am going to be walking my first Camino in September next year. I am quite new to the hiking/fitness world but want to start training now to get my self Camino ready. So my questions are about clothing for the trail. I am a plus sized woman at present but working on becoming less so. Finding plus sized clothing in an outdoor or sports store hasn't been very fruitful. They seem to think all active people are thin to begin with :roll:

1. What do I look for in a good supportive bra that is comfortable and when washed will dry quickly? Any brands that you can suggest and that I can find in the U.S.?

2. Same as above for panties?

3. I can find some active wear pants in plus sizes but they seem pretty light weight which is good for FL heat but what do you wear on the road when the weather turns cooler? A base layer underneath enough? Where do you shop?

Any other suggestions you have in regards to clothing either for the Camino specifically or for active/walking type wear are totally welcome. If there are some European brands to look for I will be in Ireland in October of this year so I could look for them there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
WayWalker63 said:
I am going to be walking my first Camino in September next year. I am quite new to the hiking/fitness world but want to start training now to get my self Camino ready. So my questions are about clothing for the trail. I am a plus sized woman at present but working on becoming less so. Finding plus sized clothing in an outdoor or sports store hasn't been very fruitful. They seem to think all active people are thin to begin with :roll:

1. What do I look for in a good supportive bra that is comfortable and when washed will dry quickly? Any brands that you can suggest and that I can find in the U.S.?

2. Same as above for panties?

3. I can find some active wear pants in plus sizes but they seem pretty light weight which is good for FL heat but what do you wear on the road when the weather turns cooler? A base layer underneath enough? Where do you shop?

Any other suggestions you have in regards to clothing either for the Camino specifically or for active/walking type wear are totally welcome. If there are some European brands to look for I will be in Ireland in October of this year so I could look for them there.

Hello,

I buy most of my hiking apparel at Decathlon which is a large medium price sports store throughout Europe and Britain. You can see what I have by using these links.

General hiking apparel http://www.decathlon.co.uk/clothing-hiking-sports.html
Rucksack http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-30-air-backpack-id_8207915.html
Boots http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-500-shoes-id_8206244.html
Short sleeve technical tee shirt http://www.decathlon.co.uk/techfresh-50-t-shirt-id_8172334.html
Long sleeve over shirt http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ls-isolate-e ... 79833.html
Winter runners' tights http://www.decathlon.co.uk/isolate-esse ... 81150.html
Tights are fine to sleep in but difficult to put on when wet from a shower or without sitting down!!

Hope this helps your planning and shopping. Feel free to PM me for more.

Buen Camino!

Margaret

PS All my caminos have been in autumn and winter. Perhaps you would find my blog Camino Gazetteer at http://mermore.blogspot.com/ useful for your planning. This coordinates all postings by 75 locations where I halted and includes a Kit list

Unfortunately they don't have any stores in the Rep. of Ireland and I won't be going to the North this time around. Too much to fit into just 3 weeks. Ireland needs at least 6 to see it properly I think.

Thanks for trying though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The thing I am having trouble finding are convertible pants in plus sizes. Columbia USA DOES carry some but won't ship to Canada and Columbia CANADA doesn't carry the extended sizes ... (sheesh guys get your act together) I don't want to go through the trouble of finding a friend stateside to forward .. just seems like a lot of extra expense and bother not to mention my difficulty returning them should they not fit.

The other area I am having trouble is in rain gear. I want a good quality light weight shell maybe even goretex BUT again everything I like is only available in regular sizes or slightly larger sizes whereas I am 2x or maybe 3x depending on the make. As an aside XXL is not the same as 2x when it comes to plus sizes. I need a rain shell even though I hope to get an Altus in SJPP because frankly, I am not sure an Altus will fit me ... I know they are very roomy for the average person ... but I am not an average person ... so I need to have a backup just in case ;)

I recently lost 100 pounds by just eating right and I have been maintaining that loss for 3 years now ... I have tightened things up in an attempt to lose more before I leave but have found post menopause that my weight loss has come to a crashing stop despite eating a fairly restrictive caloric goal each day. Who knows maybe my increased physical activity will have a positive effect but I'm not holding my breath. I am large but I am also fairly physically fit for someone my size and age. This Camino is to be a celebration of my weight loss and a life regained. What irks me is that clothing manufacturers figure heavy people are not active or don't want to be active to improve their life ... there is a market out there .... if only they knew ...

For a bra I am going to look into a plus sized sports bra and if that doesn't work i will just take something light and preferably no cotton and just make do ... I am considering just taking one and going braless to launder. I was able to find quick drying panties from Tilley of all people (the Hat people) but in any event finding a pair of lightweight nylon or at least non cotton panties should be fairly easy to get. I did find some plus sized silk thermals online from Wintersilk in the states, but i did not check to see what else they offered ... maybe I should ... they are back ordered for the bottoms but I expect them to arrive in june/july and they have been quite good on keeping me informed of my order status. To find the Plus sizes on wintersilk ... look under "women's sizes" They range from 1x-3x

Barely There brand panties are reasonably priced and easy to find (I get them at Kohl's when I am in the US). They are microfiber, mostly seamless, and dry very quickly. I've also managed to get reasonable larger sizes yoga-type capri pants at Kohl's and Target. I think they are the best, especially because there's no chafing. (I also use plenty of BodyGlide.) Champion sports bras are what I wear, but they are slow-drying, so not the best option. Better than bouncing up and down the mountainsides, though!

I currently don't fit in any of my gear from last year, so really need to get my act together or go very minimal this year!

Good luck finding everything you need!

I dont actually wear a special bra for walking, being thin as i am, but I do have a triumph sportsbra which is really good, quick dry and has broad straps, witch will probably add to the comfort if one has a little more to carry around

they make them up to 90F (some of their other models they also make up to G) dont know if that is enough, but if not you will be well of with something of a simiar cut even if it is not specified as sports...

the model i have is this one, they are very standard sizing if you have to order online

http://www.triumphonline.dk/triumph-tri-action-extreme-n-407278.aspx

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Pieces, but yes I have. I currently have a very good men's kayaking jacket that I use on the boat but the arms tend to be quite long, uncomfortably so and it fits tight in the chest but just barely elsewhere. because it is a kayaker jacket I have a good freedom of movement in my arms but it doesn't breath well at all and is very hot to wear, because of all that I don't think it's suitable for the Camino. I 'm sure I'll find something between now and when I leave but I am glad I have the time to take to find the right coat cause it could take awhile. It's very frustrating to go in store after store and see the perfect coat only to find it is not available in my size and the plus sized outlets don't carry specialized activewear.... Grrrr

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm not exactly small, but I just wear my normal everyday underwear, usually underwired bra (can't wear anything else), and synthetic panties, as both are easy to wash and easy to wear. I really can't see the point in paying out a lot of money just for "technical" undies, they are not likely to make the slightest difference to my walking.

Trudy

REI has been selling "extended sizes" for a while now. It includes their own brands as well as that of their other vendors. I bought a pair of Moving Comfort (they have their own website) capris at REI about 6 years ago, and I swear by their durability. I wore a pair of Moving Comfort "yoga pants" much of the Camino last year...super comfy, no pilling/wear and tear...better than the "walking pants" often sold, I thought. http://www.rei.com/category/4500013/q/Plus+Sizes You'll find underwear at that site, too, though for the past 2 years I've taken a range of cotton underwear that I plan to toss at the end of the trip. :) I took a Moving Comfort bra, though I don't know how large they go in size.

Good morning WayWalker63:)

Congratulations on your decision to walk the Camino. I personally wouldn't spend a lot of money right now if you are planning on releasing some weight before you go. You have over a year to prepare for this journey. Have you looked at men's moisture wicking t'shirts for now? Once you reach your comfortable weight then start purchasing women's moisture wicking clothing for your trip in 2013. Just a thought and I agree with REI, that have a variety of sizes.

As an aside, I am going in July this year and have found Lulu Lemon clothing to be the most comfortable and best at wicking the moisture away. As for underwear that don't ride up your butt, either lulu or patagonia. They are a bit expensive but worth it for the no riding annoyance...

Do you have a coach for your training? Make sure you drink water - at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces daily.

Best of luck in training.
Buen Camino
Wendy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Firstly, congratulations! Ithink it isimperative tha tyou stay away form cotton. I ONLYwear cotton for a ton of reasons in my day to day life... But Ihave found that as I practice walk i am trying out moisturewicking fabrics and it DOES leave me less damp ALL over. Try Jockey.com for underwear they even have plus size items for base layers. I am about a size 16, I bought men's convertib le pants... I just want to ensure my comfort!!! If I findany oter sites, will pass them on
Takecare! Michele

Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions.

Mystici- 1st congratulations on losing all that weight, awesome! You are my hero. I need to lose about 100 according to all the charts. But I have set my goal at about 60. If when I lose that an can keep it off I may try for the rest or I may just accept my new healthier body and decide that 180 is the perfect weight for me :D I have lost 13 about 49 more to go!

There is certainly this Catch 22 with plus size women and finding great clothes to workout or be active in. If one is feeling badly about her body having to shop in the men's department just to find something to workout in doesn't help the self esteem much and self esteem is a big factor in losing weight and taking care of ourselves. Having to order online when our thinner sisters can go into any store and find something isn't encouraging either.

I agree too the a XXL is NOT the same as a 2X. I wear a 22 or 2X in most everything right now. I love Target for most things but their active wear runs small. I just bought a couple sports bras from them this weekend but will have to take them back as the are far too small. The tops I bought are a little snug but I think they will fit in another 5-10lbs or so. The brand they are selling is Columbia so I am hesitant to order from their online store in case they run small as well.

I ordered an Altus rain poncho from a Spanish online store, peregrinoteca.com. Haven't got it yet and it is a tall so I know I will have to hem it, so we will have to see how that works out. It was fun ordering in Spanish. :roll:

It is true I don't need clothes for the Camino right now but I would love to know what to look for and where to shop for a couple reasons. 1) while I do plan on letting go of more weight before my Camino I will still probably be what is considered a plus size woman and will still have the same problem, 2) I want to be active and train for this Camino between now and then as part of my effort to lose weight, 3) I am making a trip to Ireland this fall and while moisture wicking might not be a high priority on that trip, clothing that is comfortable, will hold up to tramping around the wilds of Ireland and dries quickly is.

I don't need a sports bra specifically but do need one that won't trap moisture as I am trying to walk in the FL heat and will dry quickly is. I am way too big and old to go bra less in public. I have heard that Lane Bryant has some sports bras on their online store. I am going to check them out as well.

I did find some nice work out wear at JC Penneys a couple weeks ago in their women's department. This was before the Camino call so I didn't look for things like quick drying sports bras or convertible pants but intend to look soon.

I think I saw some some convertible pants on Junonia.com the other day. I am going to look at L.L.Bean too.

I have some lightweight panties that will dry quickly but have no idea if they are moisture wicking or not. Those I am not too concerned about.

The question about the active wear pants when the weather turns cooler is mainly for Ireland but depending on the weather may apply to the Camino as well. I will look into the yoga pants.

I think Columbia does run small if you are comparing it to plus sizes sold in plus sized stores. I buy a 2x at Penningtons (sometimes a 1x depending on the cut) but I ordered a 2x convertible online from Columbia (not from them directly cause they don't ship to Canada) and it was too small. I think a 3x *might* fit me from Columbia but I'd really like to be able to try them on in a store before I buy.

So I figure if ordering from a source that doesn't exclusively carry plus sizes I am going to order one size up to be safe.

I'd be very interested in how the Altus fits you when it arrives. Keep me posted! Thanks and congrats on your weight loss as well ... it's HARD work but the rewards are many :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It depends on your body type, but at 180 you may not have a problem finding stuff to fit that isn't "plus" sized. At 5'4"/180 I can fit into a 10/12 pants depending on the brand. It's easy to find that size at REI and pretty much everywhere else. I would recommend getting pants that have drawstrings as you'll probably continue to lose on the camino and won't want to have to shop for new pants along the way. I learned that lesson when I did the APR. I lost about 20 lbs in 2 weeks while eating like a horse because of all the hiking. I didn't have drawstring pants and I had to buy a belt to hold them up. It's not a bad problem to have. :) You might also want to check out walmart. Not sure how high the sizes go but I love their danskin clothes for working out. I'm at 180 now and the medium is just a bit tight. The large I need to use the drawstring to keep up while I walk. Plus, they're *really* cheap so it won't be financially traumatic to have to chuck them as they get too big. :) Good luck!

Thanks for the Walmart suggestion. I usually avoid them like the plague (political reasons) but I used to shop there while I was on the way up (weight wise) before I outgrew even their plus sizes (sigh) of course now that I've shrunk a bit, I might indeed again fit into their plus sizes ... and you're right they are cheap enough to discard without any guilt. Besides after losing what I've already lost I am well practiced in the art of throwing away clothes I've grown out of, (in a good way for a change) I'll see if they have any lightweight quick drying pants and give them a try this summer. Who knows maybe I'll even find some convertibles there ... you never know I could get lucky!

I avoid the Evil Empire (aka Walmart) like the plague as well, Mystici!

The idea of drawstring pants is a good one, vagabondette! I will definitely keep that in mind.

I normally wear an underwire bra as well but mine are not lightweight nor do they dry quickly. I will need to look at some other styles.

Thanks again ladies!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I began my Camino at 208 lbs. and finished at 188, with no thought to conserving calories while I walked. Bread, potatoes, fruit, desserts, wine and cerveza were my friends. I found my regular Warner briefs were quick to dry (synthetic but with cotton crotch) as were my Bali bras, both of which I purchase regularly at Kohls. Wish I had brought (found a pair along the way at a market in Castrojeriz) a panty with boy cut legs as the seam on my shorts started to chafe between my legs. Glide didn't resolve the problem. Found REI to be a good source for outter garments. Wore REI brand men's size Large zip off leg pants. These were thin nylon and would have accommodated an underlayer if needed. Took 3 Danskin t-shirts from Walmart (actually burned one at Finnesterre!). The Altus poncho was MORE than adequate in size, and I bought the small one because of length. Another good item was a REI brand long sleeve shirt made out of stuff that dries quickly and protects from UV rays. This I found online in the plus size section for women. Every day after my shower, I washed my t-shirt, shorts, panties, bra and socks. Wrapped them in my camp towel to absorb excess water and hung them outside to dry. Before bed, bring them in and hang on end of your bed. All will be dry in the morning. Part of the fun is in the planning, isn't it?

I am also not a walmart fan, but they're the only place I've found that carries danskin. Before that purchase I can't remember the last time I purchased something at a US walmart (I use the one in Merida, Mexico to stock up on craving stuff). In fact, I placed an order and had the stuff sent to my mom so she could send the clothes with my new trainers and when I told her they were coming from Walmart she asked who I was and what I'd done to her daughter. :)

I will likely wear a sports tank with a bra built in for my camino but if I don't I'll not get a sports bra. I think they're overkill for what I'll be doing. In that case I'll take my body by victoria no-underwire bras. They're awesome though I will have to check drying speed. But not having an underwire makes me a happy woman. You might want to check them out. I've been wearing only that style for over 3 years now and last time I was in the US I got a standard underwire bra for a special occasion. I try to wear it occasionally to justify the $60 I spent but it's like wearing a torture device! If you're worried about support, they're actually surprisingly supportive and have full coverage. My girls are pretty big and I can wear these bras all day with no comfort issues. And, I can just shove them in a bag and not worry about later being speared in the boob by a broken wire. lol

More good advice .. thank you girls! I am currently 225 lbs and 5'5" but I suppose I could lose some more before I go ... just not counting on it as I have been fairly stable over the last year even though by the books I should still be eating a deficit ... post menopausal however which often makes the "books" liars, so my deficit daily calorie allotment is more of a maintenance one ... ain't agin' fun!

Good to know in a more certain manner that the Altus is a definite possibility since I am not tall it sounds like the small just might work ... imagine ME wearing a small anything ... boggles my mind!

I'm kinda hoping that shop in SJPP has some in stock though as I don't want to order one ahead of time ... I guess if I changed my mind he'd have zero difficulty selling it but I'll still take my chances unless I hear otherwise. Since there is a good chance the Altus will work I won't bother trying to find an alternative but I will still take a light shell just in case. It will be useful in other situations so shouldn't be dead weight even if the Altus works out in the long run. Now I just have to find a light waterproof shell that fits ... wish me luck ;) Shouldn't be too hard ....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My Altus Came Today!!!!

Mystici, we are very close to the same size, I weigh just over 228 and am 5'4" :)
I ordered the L/XL because I was afraid even that wouldn't fit. It is big but I think I it will be ok. It isn't too long on me. It comes to around mid calf. I figure with some gaiters I would stay plenty dry. As mentioned in some other forum posts it has velcro at the cuffs to adjust the fit.
I do wish it had a pocket or two though.
I bought mine here: http://www.peregrinoteca.com/tienda/pon ... -8241.html

Pretty good price even with 19,99E shipping. Took just 6 days from the day I ordered it to get here. I figure if I lose to the point of this being just way out sized for me I will give it to my son and buy a S/M before I go.

Now I need to find a light weight and ultra small pack sleeping bag and a good backpack.

Thx again Waywalker63! That makes my life a lot easier. I just realized something ... my husband needs one too! Based on your experience I may go ahead and order the smaller one and if it doesn't fit me I am SURE it will fit my husband! That way if it does fit we can go ahead and get the size he can use in a second order and if it doesn't, I'll order a large for me and let him have the small :) Win, win! Thanks again.

Happy to be of service.
If you order the S/M let me know how it fits. If it fits you I may just go ahead and order that size for me and my sister and give the larger one to my son.

Maybe we can keep each other updated on our clothing finds.

BTW when is your Camino? I am sure sooner than mine :lol:

Nope. I like to plan ahead. I won't likely go until the spring of 2014 ... MAYBE the fall of 2013 but that's unlikely. My husband retires in October next year but we thought it best to wait til spring to walk. I am taking the advance notice to get prepared :) The poncho will likely come in quite handy for our annual summer vacation though. We usually go sailing for 2-3 weeks and do a lot of hiking onshore whenever we can. I never have adequate rain gear so having the Altus will be very helpful cause generally half our holidays are spent very very wet ... our luck with weather is abysmal.

I will most definitely let you know how it fits when it arrives but it might be a few weeks before I order it ... I've kind overspent lately getting things like boots and shoes and poles and various sundries so I should probably take a short breather hehe ... planning helps me deal with the long long wait til I get to go :) The long wait is especially beneficial cause it gives me a chance to do a LOT of walking to get prepared and just to help keep me motivated to get more fit in general! You go next year right? I am jealous but I know I'll get my turn eventually. Buen Camino!

Goretex or similar material sailing jackets such are much more generously cut for lots of rope pulling arm action-and can therefore accommodate a more 'shapely' form. So in a mans size you can get a combo of a shorter sleeve with a bigger torso space. I've use a sprayway Element 111 goretex jacket (or variants of as it seems to change name every couple of years) for my Caminos. Paclite over trousers or the Decathlon version (much cheaper and just as good if a tiny bit heavier) have served me well for a '4 seasons in a month' sort of CF and continue to do the same for my ongoing extended Jakobsweg. I take gaiters as they are great for morning dew/snow and mud on less travelled Caminos/Jacobwegs but could have got away without them on the Camino Frances.
I wear cotton panties (turned inside out to avoid seam rub -works with socks too) and just use 2 old comfy bras from M & S. You can go braless in the alburgues/hostals as everyone looks a little beat after a few weeks on the road.
Although I don't loose weight (post menopausal maybe?... but I do love my grub to I'm afraid :oops: ) it's annoyingly redistributed over the course of the journey. I generally loose a bra size in the first two weeks, then my pants get a bit loose at the waist and tighter on the bum this goes at the end of 3rd week but then my feet swell up a bit and stay a size or size and a half bigger for the rest of the journey-it's as if all that fat being shaken down :shock:
I've also learned a personal lesson after walking some of the German part of my current Camino in summer-the lesson is don't walk in summer. I now only walk in the cooler/cold seasons as heat kills me and would even if I was half my size. It does mean packing a little more but that is more than offset by the benefits of cooler walking for me anyway ....and the roads are quieter to :) .

Mysticl said:
Nope. I like to plan ahead. I won't likely go until the spring of 2014 ... MAYBE the fall of 2013 but that's unlikely (...) I never have adequate rain gear so having the Altus will be very helpful cause generally half our holidays are spent very very wet ... our luck with weather is abysmal.(...)

Please don't go in the fall of 2013, my luck with weather is great but I don't want to jinks it! :wink:

I took a year to prepare for my 2011 Camino. I joined my local Pilgim association in Montréal and walked with them most Saturdays (10-15 km). I walked to and from the office 3 times a week (6 km each way) with my pack except during winter. Althought I did lose a little bit of weight sureing that time, I mostly gained endurance and strenght. Since I'm a shopper, training for a year also gave me time to shop for clothes and other things. I understand how hard it is to buy plus-sized sportswear...It's like they don't want us to get in shape! My mom is not plus-size but she has breasts so it's impossible for her to by regular sportswear and usually ends up in a 1X shirt.

Here's what I ended up taking: For underwear, I settled on 3 pairs (wearing one, carrying two) of black nylon Jockey panties. For my bras, I wore a polyester underwire bra (Warner's) in blacks and carried a beige one for evening. I will not be bringing an underwire bra next time because, althought it didn't hurt me in my training walks, it ended up hurting me after 2 weeks. I'll probably wear my Cross-my-heart bra in black; it's polyester and thinner than sports bras. Remember that you do not need a running bra, just a comfortablle one.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thx for the suggestions Caminogen. I'll check out some of the men's sailing jackets ... I currently have a kayaking one (men's) but it doesn't breath and is on the heavy side for a shell even though it's quite good for our boat. You are right though, it is very generous up top and even though a tiny bit tight on the waist and elsewhere, it is VERY generous up top in the arm area, giving lots of room and free arm movement. The wrists have padded velcro so easy to shorten and the neck zips up almost like a turtleneck to keep you warm and dry ... I love it except for the reason I stated, it's not appropriate for hot late spring walk. When it rains on the water it tends to be quite cool even on the hottest days so having a warm rain jacket isn't a liability but on the Camino I think it will be. I am not actually too worried about underwear as I can get some nice travel quick dry panties from our local sport outlet made by Tilley in plus sizes but I suspect synthetic panties would fit the bill as well and are likely easy to find almost anywhere. I am going to get a nice black sports bra for the Camino but I am probably only going to take one. I'll go braless when doing laundry ... I'm too old to care ... hehe

Too funny about the weight distribution! I can totally see that happening! As for a fall departure next year ... it's unlikely so I think you're safe ;)

Hi Waywalker,

I'm planning for fall '13 as well, to celebrate my 60th (& recovery from double knee replacements) in Santiago.

In the past I've purchased items from http://www.titlenine.com/, was able to get bike shorts in XXL & bras that fit, but I don't know what their sizing policy is right now.

Junonia http://www.junonia.com/home.htm has plus sized clothing up to 6X, but I'd be very careful to check the materials etc., and the prices are rather high, considering.

To be honest, I've always done well with LL Bean http://www.llbean.com/, no problem with fit, and their range will be far more suitable for your needs.

Hope some of this helps!

Hi GeriP - Welcome to the forum, to the class of 2013 and to this thread. I will have about three years on you age wise when we do the Camino. We will have to keep in touch and maybe we can meet up some where along the path. Have you had your surgeries yet?

Thanks for those links to plus size active wear. I did know about Junonia (I agree they are expenxive) and llbean but not about Title Nine. I will check them out and have a closer look at llbean. I sometimes forget about them. Lands End used to have some good active wear too until Sears got hold of them :?

I ordered something's form Junonia the other week. 2 bras, a pair of panties and a pair of zip off pants. I am about 2 for 2 with the things I ordered. One of the bras fit and while not figure enhancing will keep the girls in place for walking. I wouldn't recommend it for much else though. It is light weight and dries fairly quickly. http://www.junonia.com/QuikCool-Double- ... a-Top.html

The same goes for the matching panties. http://www.junonia.com/QuikCool-Full-Co ... Brief.html

The other bra is a bit tight but will probably fit after I shed another 5-10 lbs. It seems a bit heavy for the Camino but will give it a test wash this weekend. http://www.junonia.com/Glamorise-Custom ... -4635.html

The convertible pants are a no go. http://www.junonia.com/AnyAction-Stretc ... -Pant.html They are way too long and the bottom part of the legs starts so far down that if I hemmed the pants I'd be left with a strip of material about 2 inches wide to zip off if I got too hot. I saw that in the photo on ten website but was hoping I was wrong about the way they were built. The picture is true to life. I am 5'4" so if you are taller than I am or have very long legs for your height these might work for you.
I think I will stick with capris until I loose some more weight. But I did want a couple pair of hiking pants for my trip to Ireland in October. I know 5 whole months away. Prepping for this trip will teach me patience opif nothing else.
If you all have some good finds or find something that just doesn't work let us know.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Karen,

Right knee last July, left knee last month. I haven't done any hiking/biking/XC skiing for over ten years, and am itching to get back on the trails, but early days yet. Lucky me, I'm currently living on the Isle of Wight, with bike routes & walking trails aplenty, but probably won't be able to start training until the end of the summer. So I'm giving myself a year to get ready.

Re Junonia, I find their tops a tad small and their bottoms really huge, so I've only been happy with their bathing suits. Usually the customer reviews give a pretty good idea of how the item will fit for all the web sites. On that basis, I find that LLBean's stuff can be a good fit, I normally go with their XL bottoms & 2X tops (I'm rather busty.)

I forgot to mention TravelSmith
http://www.travelsmith.com/plus-siz...s/women/plus-size-clothing/19482?listIndex=32. Pricey but good quality. Not a lot of activewear (I think most of their stuff is for the business traveller), but there are a few useful pieces. I still have a pair of their travel jeans from ten years ago.

To Margaret,
Thanks for the Decathlon link, you're right, those prices are very reasonable :D

geripfromnyc said:

To Margaret,
Thanks for the Decathlon link, you're right, those prices are very reasonable :D

Hope the link helps your planning! In general I have medium priced good quality equipment but nothing fancy, ie nothing that anyone would want to take from me. Discretion is protection. No fanny pack nor camera bag. I have traveled the world, often alone, but ALWAYS discreetly.

Remember that Few people know how to take a walk. The qualifications are endurance, plain clothes, old shoes, an eye for nature, good humor, vast curiosity, good speech, good silence and nothing too much....Ralph Waldo Emerson

Carpe Diem !,

Margaret

I am not planning on buying any expensive hiking clothes until next year. I bought used boots from REI's garage sale, a pair of Keens so I could get an idea of what I like, at a very reduced price. My advice is to buy only what you need to train in. Boots,hiking socks, a backpack, a water resevoir, and throw on a tshirt and some regular shorts. I'm a walking fashion disaster but I'm already having the time of my life!

April 9th, I made my commitment to go to Santiago. Since that day, I cancelled my tv service. It was the only way I could generate extra income to save to go. Plus I hadn't turned the darn thing on since learning about the Camino. It was weird at first, I'm not going to lie but I have been too busy to miss it. I already had an awesome pack. So I started training. I walk every day with the pack on, filled with the essentials only because I want to enjoy myself not kill myself when I'm over there.

I'm 5'4", 40 yrs old and I was up to about 160. I smoke and I have scoliosis. I have already lost about 18 pounds since April. I try to walk at least one mile every day, rain or shine. At least three times a week, I walk alot more anywhere from 3 miles to 6 miles. I just recently did a trip to King's Pinnacle and it was hard. Of course I did it with my pack on. I've been training for 6 weeks now and it was still hard. It was so hard, I wondered if I could actually make the trip to Santiago. I remembered what others said about walking the Camino at their pace not someone else's and I made it to the top. The next day, I expected to be crippled because I usually am after that hike when I've done it in the past. I popped right out of bed refreshed. I was really suprised at how good I felt. But that's the training. My training couldn't prepare me for the reality of walking an elevation, so that's going to have to become part of my training.

The Keens were great by the way. Not a single blister.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Have you looked at SPANX bras? They make one that is all hosiery. Very comfortable and dries quickly. The other bra I took that was my favorite was one I can't remember the name of, but you see it in all the outdoor stores. Their ad is "5 countries, 2 months and one pair of panties (ok, maybe two)". They also make a great bra. Both the panties and the bra were comfortable and dried very quickly. I took two pair of panties and regretted it - I should have had three.

@lizlane- I wouldn't buy a bunch of clothes either if I wasn't planning this trip to Ireland as well. I will be doing a couple hikes and traipsing though the Irish countryside for over 2 weeks plus about 5 days in Dublin. So I need a good pair of hiking boots and some pants that won't weigh me down if/when they get wet :)
@Chacharm- I wasn't aware that Spanx made a bra, who knew? I will check them out.

I don't necessarily need a sports bra or an underwire(although I have worn one for so long that I find ones without a underwire uncomfortable), I just want a bra that will keep the girls in place, is comfortable and dries quickly. I feel like this might be the holy grail of my Camino! :roll: :

For now I am going to focus on the pants and boots. Since I will need these for Ireland and hold off on the rest until spring next year. By then I will have a better idea of what I need.

In the mean time if I can help anyone out let me know.

I am also a larger woman by "normal" standards...whatever that means LOL. I have been walking for long walks for a while (more than 15 miles). The best sources I have found for training information and clothing has been the 3day breast cancer walks. If you want more information I can send you a training guide for no cost. Wherever there are 3day walks across the US there are training clinics which have people representing different companies to show you the variety of clothing, shoes etc. Although the shoes in this case are for extensive walking they would be good for training if not for the hike later on. Here are a couple places I have found great for finding clothing: Title Nine is a US based company which has fabulous options for bras. http://www.titlenine.com they have a section called "bounce" which is totally bras. I often just look at their sales and wait and buy appropriately. Another place I shop is the men's section at Dicks sporting goods. I often find much better prices and fit for pants (with pockets). Long walks pockets help a lot!

Hope this is helpful and I hope your journey is blessed with much peace!
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@gnhale- thanks for the titlenine recommendation. I would love the training material you have for the 3 day Breast Cancer walks. I haven't heard of any in my area but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I would love to know about those as well.

I recently bought a couple things from LLBean.com that I am happy with.

I bought a pair of hiking pants in black. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68073?feat=510776-GN3
The misses sizes for these pants go up to size 20. They fit pretty well, maybe a tad snug but not bad. They are keepers. :)

I also bought a light weight fleece top: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/53633?feat=506432-GN2
A 1X fits just fine and I love the color Plum Tart. My current color passion is purple, why I couldn't say :roll:

I also bought a sweatsuit bottoms and a zip up jacket. More for my Ireland trip than for the Camino but the pants might be a good to wear in the evenings or even for pj bottoms if it is cold. I got a 1X in the bottom, they fit very nicely and a 2X in the jacket just in case I need to wear a sweater or something underneath. It fits well without being bulky and could accommodate a lite weight sweater or similar underneath if necessary. 8)

Pants: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/72395?fe ... 0pants-SR0

Jacket: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70207?feat=72395-app

As I read through these posts I note than many mention their "size" as it relates to clothing. when I hiked the Camino before I saw people of EVERY size and shape and age. If anyone wants to email me I'll send you my photos of before and after. Wyopeaks@Gmail

Don't worry about the pants that unzip to shorts. Take a light Yoga pant or leggin that is comfortable and will stretch and dry quickly. You will chafe where your legs rub against seams and you don't want any pant or short riding Up on you. Where your back pack hooks around your waist -any big waist band on your pants will drive you NUTS. Every time you stop to pee you will be struggling to get it all back in place.

Bottom line is that NO one cares what you wear or look like except you and after one week you will not care either! LOL Your battle is with yourself and your Camino will be in your head until you let it all go and just enjoy the walk. Keep it simple and light and stretchy.

For the ladies with bigger boobies I'm not sure there IS a comfortable sports bra. The ones with lots of support can bind too tight and are heavy and don't dry well. The straps that ride high on your shoulders/neck sit right under your back pack. I have gone to a "sleep bra" very light and not a real support, but dries easily and keeps the girls away from your body.

I bought some "Exofficio" panties (advertised as one pair of panties-7 day trip). They wash and dry very fast. I'm 5' 7" and 190lbs now, heavy for me. I bought the XL/XG and they stretch a LOT. I Wear a 38DD in bras and bought the "moving comfort" bra in the XL/TG (MED.support). It feels tight around. I'm not going to be jogging so I wanted LIGHT support, but they don't make that one. Both items are made in China and that is why they are still always tight -even when marked large. I've traveled there extensively and had items tailored and made for me and other crew members. They ALWAYS make them too small. They think large means tall and not wide. Sausage casings is what I'm talking about. Even small women got items back that were long and skinny around. Although I'm heavy right now I'm not "round".

Hope this helps someone. It's hard to know exactly what to purchase. This stuff is expensive too.

Chacharm said:
Have you looked at SPANX bras? They make one that is all hosiery. Very comfortable and dries quickly. The other bra I took that was my favorite was one I can't remember the name of, but you see it in all the outdoor stores. Their ad is "5 countries, 2 months and one pair of panties (ok, maybe two)". They also make a great bra. Both the panties and the bra were comfortable and dried very quickly. I took two pair of panties and regretted it - I should have had three.

those panties are made by Exofficio. I liked them a lot as they dry very quickly. They are also supposed to reduce odor absorption too. I didn't know they made a bra so I'll check that out. thanks

I train (6 - 10 km) everyday, wearing these tops. I am a 38 DD, 5'2" and 160 lbs...heavy for me! They wash easily, are very light-weight, yet opaque, dry very quickly and hold their shape. They are stretchy enough to provide support. I like the darker ones, because even when you're cold, no one would know it...if you know what I mean! I'm not taking a bra, and I've been wearing big, heavy underwire bras since I was young!

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/worthing ... 3247090067

brenfinds said:
I train (6 - 10 km) everyday, wearing these tops. I am a 38 DD, 5'2" and 160 lbs...heavy for me! They wash easily, are very light-weight, yet opaque, dry very quickly and hold their shape. They are stretchy enough to provide support. I like the darker ones, because even when you're cold, no one would know it...if you know what I mean! I'm not taking a bra, and I've been wearing big, heavy underwire bras since I was young!

Hm...I'd think I'd at least want a shelf bra for support. Keeping in mind you'll be walking double to triple that distance every day do you still think they'd be comfey? Also, how to they breathe? I have some that are similar and they don't breathe at all. I'd be sweating like crazy.

€83,-
I am with you Vagabondette! I will need something to keep the girls off my chest. I am 61 in addition to being overweight so even if I am a smaller size they will not be their previous (30 years ago) perky selves. :roll: I am going to weight until next summer to look for the bra as by then I will have a better idea as to what size I need.

I did find some capris and quick drying/moisture wicking Ts from Penneys to walk in while trying to shed the weight. They might work for walking the Camino in as well but hopefully by then I will need a smaller size :D

:idea: On another note: Thanks to gnhale I recently found a walking club in my town. Evidently they have them all over the U.S., Canada and Europe. Who knew!?

Google Volks Walking Clubs if you are interested in finding one in your area of the globe.
If you are in N. Florida here is the address for the First Coast Trail Forgers Club.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... eipOPUSn0Q

They also have a Facebook page.

Looks like a fun way to get in shape, practice some distance walking and meet some nice people. Who knows maybe some of them have walked the Camino or would be interested in walking.

Hi Ladies,
Here goes my first post. :) I haven't walked the Camino yet but getting ready for this Fall. :D
Just wanted to recommend Travex® Convertible Pants by Eddie Bauer. Very comfortable and lightweight. Here's the shortened link: bit.ly/LjDHjB

Thanks for the recommendation agnesczaj!
I checked out the website and these don't come in plus sizes but the regular sizes do extend to size 20. Unfortunately sizes 16 & 20 are sold out and they only have a few left of size 18. Hopefully they will restock or come out with a similar item.
They do have some ripstock cargo pants and capris that look light weight in plus sizes and extended regular sizes. Some sizes are sold out but it is worth a try.
Fortunately I am not walking until next September so maybe I will be out of plus sizes then and maybe they will have a better selection of sizes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My pleasure WayWalker63. :wink: always looking out for comfy clothing!

I just would like to say congratulations for the work you have already done for getting to the Camino. We are planning for next year and gathering together everything but the weight loss is the hardest being in the same position as you post menopause. The lard lumps hang on me. I am starting serious training and am in the beginnings of preparation as we leave in May next year and by that stage I wish to be able to have hiked for 2 weeks straight so I am aware of walking day in and out with a back pack loaded.

Buen camino and keep up the good work.

A question for way walker. I think you said you bought the Altus L/xl. I am 5 '5 85 kegs 63 years old and travelling with a back pack. Did you in hind.site find this poncho too big or not as I have just ordered one, many thanks and thanks to this wonderful web site where so much information is gained. Thanks everyone for all your help.

I am madly reading a bevvy of books, think I bought most of them and it feels as if the pilgrimage has started and the walking part will happen next year.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sienna Moon said:
..... but the weight loss is the hardest being in the same position as you post menopause. The lard lumps hang on me. .......
Buen camino and keep up the good work.

Hi Sienna Moon,
Providing your health is otherwise ok a good way for us menopausal gals to shift 7ibs to 14lbs over a week is by going on the so called cabbage soup diet (it's not as bad as it sounds really just chunky veg soup). This helped me (I have a dietary will of Jelly) break my dependency on too much salt and refined sugar and gave me an early 'win' which encouraged me to stay on track with a better eating regime after I'd finished the diet itself. I've kept off the weight I lost about three months ago (and yes of course I've fallen off the wagon quite a bit due to summer holidays and other excellent excuses :oops: )and now plan to do another week of this diet again soon. I have a long term weight target but am aiming to get there in stages.
Good luck
Nell

I walked the Camino in Sept, 2012. You would be surprised how many things are already in your own closet and you don't have to buy something special. It's not your clothes that will get you to Santiago, but your ability. You're going to get a lot warmer while you're walking, so you can utilize less fabric. In September-October I took one skort and a durable but lightweight pair of slacks. When they write that less is more, they aren't kidding. When it came to under clothes, I took 3 sets. That will help a lot for the drying factor.
Buen Camino!
Cheryl

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back