• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for Long Pants and Shorts with Great Pockets for the Camino

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
I could really use some help. I'm still trying to find long pants and shorts for my October CF. I am 5' 4" and 160lbs; I wear a large petite in long pants. A regular large in shorts.

I bought the OR Fersi long pants but unfortunately my phone wont fit in the back pockets - only the front - and when my phone is in the front pocket I cant bend over. So although I otherwise like these pants, they won't be going with me.

No advertiser that I've looked at states pocket sizes - bummer.

I have looked everywhere for shorts and can't seem to find the right fit AND function. Very frustrating.

I want lightweight, breathable, with at least 2 zippered pockets (1 pocket must fit my Android phone) for both long pants and shorts.

Does anyone have pants / shorts that they really like for the camino? With great pockets?

Thanks all!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sadly finding comfortable pants with just the right fit/fabric/pockets is about as easy as finding the right footwear. I have 2 pairs of long pants that are now 8 years old and have done 3,000 kms. They have been 'fixed' a couple of times. I've been unable to replace them....... So I only wear them on Camino. Not even for training walks.

Just try on as many as you can find........

Brands constantly change the designs, styles, fabrics, fit. Very frustrating!

I'm sure the right ones are out there for you somewhere. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Agree with Robo, you have to check everywhere, and try on many models. I have an old pair of now too big Merrill shorts that are perfect, but they’ve since changed the model, so I’ll wear them anyway.
Costco sells capri pants, great price and deep pockets but no zippers.
Good luck in your search.

a pocket is a rectangular piece of fabric stitched on or in another piece of fabric.
the pocket can be made more interesting by adding a zipper, a button or a flap.
find pants that fit you well.
add a pocket in the size and form that you need anywhere on those pants.

no rocket science needed.

Ditch Pigging a few years ago somewhere after Fromista we found a spot where some Pilgrim had dumped possibly half the contents of their backpack. I’m still wearing the excellent quality, Korean made, “Jack Wolfskin” hiking trousers they’d dumped. Great fit, just enough stretch in the fabric for comfort, and well positioned pockets.
And by the way, never carry your phone in your back pocket: sometime you’ll sit on it and crack the screen. Most trouser manufacturers are aware of this and do their best to protect their customers from this elementary error

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Best of luck, MARSKA! It is so true that womens' hiking pants / shorts often have less leg pocket capacity, as trecile observes. Tincatinker is also right that that back pockets are not great for phones. A small cross-body bag is a good option.

When I get frustrated at not finding the right women's fit, I look at men's styles. You have to size way down, but the styling is worth checking out! I'm guessing you'd be a "small" or "extra small" in mens? They can look and feel really good, with pockets made to fit more than a lipstick tube... ;) For these purposes I like Prana, then sales/clearance on Orvis.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Best of luck, MARSKA! It is so true that womens' hiking pants / shorts often have less leg pocket capacity, as trecile observes. Tincatinker is also right that that back pockets are not great for phones. A small cross-body bag is a good option.

When I get frustrated at not finding the right women's fit, I look at men's styles. You have to size way down, but the styling is worth checking out! I'm guessing you'd be a "small" or "extra small" in mens? They can look and feel really good, with pockets made to fit more than a lipstick tube... ;) For these purposes I like Prana, then sales/clearance on Orvis.

Good points.
Also, remember it's not hard to adjust pants. I always have to take up the legs!

Have you considered wearing your phone in a waterpoof pouch on a lanyard? That always worked for me. Amazon offres many possibilities.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Long pants: Duluth Trading Post flexpedition pants. Love them for hiking and winter Caminos. Great pockets.

I don't wear shorts, but I like the Duluth Capri or Noga pants. Some of their styles have better pockets than others.
I recently saw a Camino vlogger talking about Duluth shorts on her packing list. I looked at the ones she suggested - they’re the Dry on the Fly shorts (also available as pants and skirts) - they are apparently somewhat stretchy, have like 7 pockets? And dry quite quickly. I was also happily surprised to see that the available inseams were only the longer side - 7-10”? I was thinking of checking them out - though I’ve never tried anything from DTC?

I could really use some help. I'm still trying to find long pants and shorts for my October CF. I am 5' 4" and 160lbs; I wear a large petite in long pants. A regular large in shorts.

I bought the OR Fersi long pants but unfortunately my phone wont fit in the back pockets - only the front - and when my phone is in the front pocket I cant bend over. So although I otherwise like these pants, they won't be going with me.

I have looked everywhere for shorts and can't seem to find the right fit AND function. Very frustrating.

I want lightweight, breathable, with at least 2 zippered pockets (1 pocket must fit my Android phone) for both long pants and shorts.

Does anyone have pants / shorts that they really like for the camino? With great pockets?

Thanks all!
I have to admit that I now buy Mens shorts. and have them altered to fit.
I found it impossible to fit womens shorts with decent pockets, that were the length and fit I wanted. I have added an inner zipped pocket to shorts in the past too.
(I dont wear long pants on Camino)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wear Title Nine clamber pants. They also make capris, shorts, and skirts in the same material. Great pockets and they offer regular, short, and long lengths.

I recently saw a Camino vlogger talking about Duluth shorts on her packing list. I looked at the ones she suggested - they’re the Dry on the Fly shorts (also available as pants and skirts) - they are apparently somewhat stretchy, have like 7 pockets? And dry quite quickly. I was also happily surprised to see that the available inseams were only the longer side - 7-10”? I was thinking of checking them out - though I’ve never tried anything from DTC?
I have a pair of the dry on the fly capris from Duluth and a few pairs of the Noga style with 7 pockets. They don't have zippers or buttons on the pockets, but I wore them on the Camino in 2022 anyway. I wear them camping a lot, too. This year I wore a 7 year old pair of LL Bean pants that had lighter material. Two zippered thigh pockets and zippered back pockets.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have a pair of the dry on the fly capris from Duluth and a few pairs of the Noga style with 7 pockets. They don't have zippers or buttons on the pockets, but I wore them on the Camino in 2022 anyway. I wear them camping a lot, too. This year I wore a 7 year old pair of LL Bean pants that had lighter material. Two zippered thigh pockets and zippered back pockets.
I was looking at the website and they say they have a new “improved” version of the dry on the fly line? I’m curious, since I couldn’t find an answer anywhere, it says they have an 8” “pokey things pocket” - what on earth does that mean??? 🤔 That said, even the biggest iPhone (aka the one I bought…) *should* fit in an 8” pocket?

As a girl born and raised in Maine, I’ve been an LL Bean loyalist for years! I was looking at their stuff too - and it looks like there might be a few good options? I was looking at the Vista line or the Water Repellent line. Both offer zippered pockets, stretch, quick drying, and UPF protection.

Should also add: the zip pocket was large enough to accommodate passport, cell phone and zip wallet with cash when I wanted to travel maximally light.

I also got the Trailmade short which was lightweight and comfortable to sleep in at night. There are 2 pockets on each leg but they don’t zip.

My first preference would have been convertible/zip off pants but I found 1) it was about the same weight to carry the REI long pants & shorts 2) the inseam seams on the REI Sahara were annoying & rubbed in the wrong places. If anyone has suggestions for petite convertible pants I’m all ears! Seems like fewer companies are making them these days.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Thanks all!
ScottEVest.com has exactly what you need

My hiking pants are REI Sahara zipoff. The old style (I have a pair that are now 23 years old!) had deeper pockets but newer ones have shifted location and depth of pockets. I have found that putting my phone in the pocket drags down the pants to the point of being uncomfortable on that side. But that's just me. I also have a pair of Sahara shorts circa 2016 that have a nice deep pocket on the leg that holds the phone but again is heavy. The newer version of the shorts are not as well proportioned. So no help on the pocket issue.

I'm the same height and weight as you (curvy on the bottom) and I love the Duluth Trading Company dry on the fly shorts. There are seven pockets including one perfect for a cell phone. The fabric is breathable and a little stretchy. There is also a bit of elastic on the waistband for comfort. I also have their dry on the fly skirt which I hike in and it also looks nice enough to wear in the evenings. They have the same design in pants and capri but I don't have those yet, although the capri is on the way.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thanks all!
Duluth Trading Company. Dry on the Fly pants n shorts.

I gave up on finding the perfect pants and shorts and got myself a LightHeart Gear hiking dress— the one with no pockets. I’ve been wearing my belt bag (new name for fanny pack) with another similar sized bag slid on over the belt. I love the dress! Now I’m thinking of getting another and just wearing my base layer pants underneath as needed for weather. Right now, I’m camped on the Mogollon Rim in Arizona and hiking in 90°F+ weather. The dress is more comfortable than anything else I’ve hiked in. Ever!

Last edited by a moderator:
Convenient long trousers with good pockets = a pair of jeans. Blue, black, or white isn't just a matter of taste, and a pair of white jeans, no matter how horrid they'd end up looking, could be great !! (or black/blue ones for cooler weather)

As to shorts -- no idea sorry ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have you considered wearing your phone in a waterpoof pouch on a lanyard? That always worked for me. Amazon offres many possibilities.
I had a camera destroyed on the Camino by doing similar ...

OTOH, I slipped into a river in 2019, one phone got submerged, and it still works -- though it took a few months to dry out properly, and the screen has some minor display output damage.

If your phone is in a pocket and that pocket is well shielded from the rain (by an overgarment, cape, cloak, coat, poncho, whatever), then it should be OK.

Being a small woman, I found that REI has a kids’ version of Sahara zip-offs that fit perfectly. The waist is adjustable and the pockets are “drop-in”, no zipper, button, or Velcro. I find these pockets are perfect for quick access to my phone. It’s not likely that the phone would ever fall out, unless I were doing cartwheels!

I was looking at the website and they say they have a new “improved” version of the dry on the fly line? I’m curious, since I couldn’t find an answer anywhere, it says they have an 8” “pokey things pocket” - what on earth does that mean??? 🤔 That said, even the biggest iPhone (aka the one I bought…) *should* fit in an 8” pocket?

As a girl born and raised in Maine, I’ve been an LL Bean loyalist for years! I was looking at their stuff too - and it looks like there might be a few good options? I was looking at the Vista line or the Water Repellent line. Both offer zippered pockets, stretch, quick drying, and UPF protection.
I love the Vista with Cargo pockets. They zip up and my IPhone 11 fits. I keep my credentials and a laminated copy of my passport and my debit and credit card in a clear baggie in the other pocket. REI also has trekking shorts and pants but I quit buying them except in men’s size because they started making the zippered cargo pockets smaller. I haven’t looked in several years to see if they went back to the old size pockets. I made many reviews about the pocket size.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks all!
Look at LLBean and on Amazon. I like the cargo style because the leg pockets zip. And they fit my IPhone 11.

Another alternative is to use a waist pack for your phone, to which you can also add your credential and passport. For me, the only shorts I've found that feel comfortable with a phone (iPhone 14 MaxPro) are biking shorts with side pockets. Also they are superior at preventing chafing. ;-)

I gave up on finding the perfect pants and shorts and got myself a LightHeart Gear hiking dress— the one with no pockets. I’ve been wearing my belt bag (new name for fanny pack) with another similar sized bag slid on over the belt. I love the dress! Now I’m thinking of getting another and just wearing my base layer pants underneath as needed for weather. Right now, I’m camped on the Mongolian Rim and hiking in 90°F+ weather. The dress is more comfortable than anything else I’ve hiked in. Ever!

I wear merino wool dresses that I make myself. They do have two small pockets in the side seams, but I only use them for things like tissues and lip balm. I use a cross body bag for phone, money, credencial, ID, etc. The dresses are super comfortable especially on hot days with superior air flow. And there's no waistband, zipper, buttons or snaps to interfere with my hip belt. Also no worries about the fit as I lose weight on the Camino.

I do wear a pair of lightweight running shorts underneath while I'm on the trail for those times when I have to climb over something or sit on the ground. And I wear lightweight leggings underneath on cold days.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks all!
I wore these leggings with pockets in March/ April on the CF. I also always wear these leggings in the cooler and cold months when I walk/hike because they extremely comfortable for me. My opinion wear what you are use to wearing or training in that is comfortable.
Good luck and Buen Camino🥾

I’ve been training in an Outdoor Afro/REI women’s trail pants that has great zippered pockets (my IPhone 13 fits in several of them), wide elastic waste and with elastic drawstring, zippered pant legs at the bottom, lightweight and quick dry. Outdoor Afro is a non-profit that worked up a line in conjunction with REI that fits different shaped women. These are very comfortable, although pricey. Not sure how they’ll hold up over time but I really like them. It certainly is tough finding great pockets.

Did Ponferrada to Santiago last month and the two pair of shorts I took were both from DTC and they were the "Dry on the Fly" shorts....they performed excellently....great pockets, quick drying, and for larger sizes they were very comfortable. I also have the Dry on the fly longer cargo pants and I'd also given them a definite thumbs up as well. In my opinion, definitely worth checking them out...and if you time it right DTC puts stuff on sale quasi-regularly for 40% off....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I walked the Frances last year, I wore Mountain Hardwear women’s Dynama Bermuda shorts, capri, and pants. Elastic waist, pockets and a side pocket for my iPhone. Light and quick drying—loved them and still wear them hiking.

Thanks all!
I don't know if you ha e access to a Decathlon store (they are also online). I'm walking with shorts that have 4 pockets! 3 wth zippers and 1 with studs. My android fits it left stuuded pocket and old back up iPhone 6 in lower right. Other two are. Ig enough fow tissue, small purses or....... lip balm.

I don't know if you ha e access to a Decathlon store
Only Decathlon hiking trousers I ever purchased were KIA about 48H after stepping out from home.

Luckily there was a jeans retail store just over the bridge from Nice, and the pair I got lasted me ~2000K to Santiago.

100_0593.jpg

The height of elegance as you can see !! (cripes I had short legs and tiny feet in those days !!)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thanks all!
I love the pants from fjallraven.

I don't know if you ha e access to a Decathlon store (they are also online
Unfortunately, Decathlon closed their only two US stores in the SF Bay Area over a year ago. But you can order online.

And some Decathlon brand products are available online from Wal-Mart.

Thanks all!
My go to is Patagonia or Columbia--and I always buy the zip off type that can convert to shorts. I'm not sure if they come in petite, but you can check. I often wear men's clothes secondary to being tall. You might also want to check men's sizes if the women's sizes don't come in petite.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thanks all!
REI Sahara convertible pants have great pockets. took 2 pairs of the zip off shorts on camino with one bottom portion. perfect! iphone 7, credential, passport, coin purse plus other random items easily fit in the zippered pockets :). i sewed pockets on the inside of one of the convertible pickets for a hidden stash of larger bills/credit cards...

The Camino provides!!!! Wow everyone! Wonderful, thoughtful responses. Some of these ideas I had thought of, some not.

I ordered the DTC Dry on the Fly pants and shorts to try. There is a store near me so will be an easy return if they dont fit.

I'm also very intrigued by the cargo/backpaking dresses / skirts at :
https://lightheartgear.com/collections/womens-clothing
Wool tights or leggings when it gets cold and good to go - I think. Will leggings alone keep my legs warm come late October?

I can see the benefit of a dress- no pant belt to interfere with pack straps or waist/crossbody straps. I feel as though I'm going to be all tied up in a ball by the time I have my security stash, pack straps & pack waistbelt, hip belt or crossbody bag in place!

Unable to locate the decathalon pants in my size (from wally world). I'll check out Title 9 new one for me.

Trecile- will you make me a dress like yours????? I'd pay you BIG TIME lol.

I love the pants from fjallraven but I have not seen were they have petite sizes and my oh my they are pricey.

Jim- A vest wont work cuz it gets in the way of the pack & you gotta remove pack to get to vest.

Jabba - jeans???? really?????

asl - thought of biking shorts too.

ironchic - please let me know how Outdoor REI Afro works out for you! Thought of those too but it seems like there is a lot of unneeded fabric and thus extra unwanted weight.

curlylottie - I'll check out Mountyain Hardware

Thanks to EVERYONE!!!! I know I didnt mention several of you but I have run out of time alloted to computer for now - you can be sure I read ALL of rthe posts.
I'll be back with an update and please - any other suggestions - let me know.

The pokey things pocket is meant for a gardening tool carrier or something like pliers, etc.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I found a skort (skirt with short leggings underneath) to be really helpful - mine has zippered pockets and easy to stash a phone or other things you want to reach easily. The pockets are more loose than on pants where the pockets tend to be form fitting, on the skirt they weren't attached to the legs, so easy in and out. Skirt can be better than a dress because it can be washed less often, just wash the t-shirts you're wearing with it, not the whole dress. Skort for warm weather, leggings for cooler weather, same t-shirts (merino for easy wash, less order, fast dry). I think the skort was made by Athlete, but can confirm if there's interest.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You might also consider a skirt. I'll put in a plug for a company from my hometown, Purple Rain Adventure Skirts.

I went over to her studio and checked out the skirts before my first Camino, but decided to make my own dresses instead. She makes a quality product that other forum members have used and loved.

I agree with @IaIaone - try mens, particularly if you have narrower hips or no waist. I find they fit my body shape much better than those made for women where they assume we all have larger hips and small waist. I'm wearing mens Outdoor Research zip offs.

I agree with @IaIaone - try mens, particularly if you have narrower hips or no waist. I find they fit my body shape much better than those made for women where they assume we all have larger hips and small waist. I'm wearing mens Outdoor Research zip offs.

Sorry - got the larger size hips!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Also, I used a small pochette made by Osprey that attached to the shoulder strap of my pack so I could easily access phone, glasses, lip balm, small coin purse without having to remove my pack.
CTlaw - yes, I considered this as well. I wonder if this would fir any brand of pack or just Ospery. I'll take a look.

any brand of pack or just Osper
It has two sets of Velcro straps, position one above the strap across your chest, the other below - I would guess it would work with non osprey but who knows until you try it. It has a clasp on inside to secure items - I used it for glasses pouch and a little coin pocket so neither would fall out when I unzipped it. Loved it

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thanks all!
My go-to pants for the Camino with great pockets: Duluth Trading Company flex expedition pants: https://www.duluthtrading.com/s/DTC/womens-flexpedition-slim-leg-pants-95703.html?color=DGY

I hate ridiculously tiny pockets!

I ordered a pair of zip off pants that could be pants, capris, or shorts - but the pockets zipped off if you made them shorts!!! #@&!! What the heck!!!

I used these pants in the Amazon:
Little Donkey Andy Women's Stretch Convertible Pants, Zip-Off Quick-Dry Hiking Pants https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RYL85T4?tag=casaivar02-20

and these shorts on the Camino:
BALEAF Women's Cargo Hiking... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRK7SY2Z?tag=casaivar02-20

On the Camino, my second pair of shorts was this pair of Old Navy compression shorts with deep side pockets that hold my giant phone securely.

I was happy with all of my choices.

Thanks all!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
OR Ferrosi convertibles with thigh pocket for me on all my caminos since 2015 with phone in thigh pocket - no problem for me sitting etc maybe you have different version? - I’m always looking but could not yet find better as I also like that they are wind and water resistant and not too hot - not sure what phone you have but have worked for me from iPhone 6 and 10 to 13 pro - easy drop and grab for photos which I love when pack on

Nobody wore the prana hiking pants ?

Also anyone wear suspenders by chance ? I was looking for low profile suspenderz

Hi All! I am still waiting for my DTC pants to be delivered.
OR Ferrosi convertibles with thigh pocket for me on all my caminos since 2015 with phone in thigh pocket - no problem for me sitting etc maybe you have different version? - I’m always looking but could not yet find better as I also like that they are wind and water resistant and not too hot - not sure what phone you have but have worked for me from iPhone 6 and 10 to 13 pro - easy drop and grab for photos which I love when pack on
Gail- my OR Ferrosi pants have a thigh pocket but my phone wont fit.

I hate ridiculously tiny pockets!

I ordered a pair of zip off pants that could be pants, capris, or shorts - but the pockets zipped off if you made them shorts!!! #@&!! What the heck!!!

I used these pants in the Amazon:
Little Donkey Andy Women's Stretch Convertible Pants, Zip-Off Quick-Dry Hiking Pants https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RYL85T4?tag=casaivar02-20

and these shorts on the Camino:
BALEAF Women's Cargo Hiking... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRK7SY2Z?tag=casaivar02-20

On the Camino, my second pair of shorts was this pair of Old Navy compression shorts with deep side pockets that hold my giant phone securely.

I was happy with all of my choices.
Thanks for the suggestions! Your phone , etc didnt pull down too much on your little donkeys?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That’s a pity - i see you have an android - btw i never zip it up when on camino as I like to be able to quickly grab it. I am happy that my various iPhones have worked with them - I haven’t bought the max versions because they dont fit in most of my pockets either. I hope you find the right solution. Cheers from down under - btw maybe pocket sizes vary more than I’d imagined with sizes I wear a USA size 12 or 14

I have Prana Halle hiking pants, and the pockets are ridiculously small. I did read that this year's version has deeper pockets though.
That stinks. I wore the prana stretch zion but it only has one leg pocket. But i am a man so maybe the pockets are better

€149,-
How about KILTS? This’ll be my first, so I don’t know, but I can’t imagine a freer feel than a KILT for walking.

That stinks. I wore the prana stretch zion but it only has one leg pocket. But i am a man so maybe the pockets are better
Of course the pockets are better in men's pants, they almost always are!

Here's the depth of the front pocket in my Prana Halle pants. Less than 1.5 inches (3.8 cm) deep!

20230710_164652.jpg

Thanks all!
I have a pair of REI convertible pants (pant legs zip off into shorts, but they also side zip so you don’t have to take off shoes). They have great pockets. One has my larger phone in it and the other zipped one has my passport and backup cards. Used Fanny pack for small amounts of cash, credential, and daily credit card. I liked them so much I wore them every day last June on my Camino. They’re coming back this year too!5900984b-7685-4ab6-a092-70096361e09b.jpeg

The Duluth Trading Company pants arrived. I tried them on and_they_are_PERFECT!!!!! OMG it is very rare for me to find a perfect fit. The only problem is - no belt loops. Has anyone found a work-around? I'm afraid that if I lose much weight they could fall down- or off.

I also will keep the DTC shorts - interestingly they DO have belt loops.

I'm VERY happy with the fit, the size and number of pockets, the fabric and the cost.

So 1 pair of long pants and 1 pair of shorts. With merino base layer as needed. Slowly I'm putting together my kit... thanks everyone for the help!

Hi Trecile - I was thinking about adding belt loops. I dont sew but Im sure I could find someone to do it- finding the right fabric might be impossible tho...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I
The Duluth Trading Company pants arrived. I tried them on and_they_are_PERFECT!!!!! OMG it is very rare for me to find a perfect fit. The only problem is - no belt loops. Has anyone found a work-around? I'm afraid that if I lose much weight they could fall down- or off.

I also will keep the DTC shorts - interestingly they DO have belt loops.

I'm VERY happy with the fit, the size and number of pockets, the fabric and the cost.

So 1 pair of long pants and 1 pair of shorts. With merino base layer as needed. Slowly I'm putting together my kit... thanks everyone for the help!
I do find if I put a lot of stuff on my DTP pants they do sag a bit. Interesting as all mine have belt loops except the NOGA capris?

All my pants sag, if they are comfortable. I found on my last Camino that things got dicey unless I had my backpack on with the hip belt fastened. (I have virtually no waist, so belts don't work well.)

I am reminded of the excellent comment on another thread about hats - it is not always necessary to have the best things on the Camino. Good enough is good enough.

Hi Marska,
I've never tried these but I'm going to for my next camino - scottevest.com/collections/pants
Their whole thing is about pockets. "It's not rocket science, it's pocket science." they say. One pair of their women's pants has 11 pockets. And their most popular vest has 42 (!! seriously!!??) Worth a look.
Here's drawing of what you can put in the front of the vest. Happy searching and buen camino!

Attachments

• peek at pockets.png
    peek at pockets.png
    570.7 KB · Views: 6

€46,-
I'm also very intrigued by the cargo/backpaking dresses / skirts at :
https://lightheartgear.com/collections/womens-clothing
I'm late to this thread and I see that you have since gotten your pants and shorts but I wanted to put in a recommendation for Lightheart Gear's hiking skirt with pockets anyway as @Betsybro did in post #70 above. Light weight with six very roomy and deep side pockets, 3 to a side. My copy of Brierley's guide fits in all six. I wear this on mountain hikes (but not yet on local hikes).

https://lightheartgear.com/products/hiking-skirt-with-pockets-1

Last edited:
a pocket is a rectangular piece of fabric stitched on or in another piece of fabric.
the pocket can be made more interesting by adding a zipper, a button or a flap.
find pants that fit you well.
add a pocket in the size and form that you need anywhere on those pants.

no rocket science needed.
Not a true rectangle but you do have a point.
I discovered there's a name for what I've been doing as a scuba diver that likes specific pouches, pockets and bags. There's MYOG people/philosophy/alternative, stands for: MakeYourOwnGear.

Takes a bit of effort but after looking for things that 'should be available" everywhere but aren't, there are not many choices but make your own. At first it will look wonky but eventually the techniques click and you look at stuff and right away know how to "improve" it. In my case all the wonky stuff was good enough, fish underwater doesnt care if the seams aren't perfect, like everything when there's a will....

Thanks all!
I wear Old Navy StretchTech pants. This fabric is very thin and light like lining material. I don’t think it will stand up to rock climbing or bush whacking but for my hot Camino they were fantastic. They dry incredibly fast. I have a few different versions because they constantly change the styling. I have 2 pairs with thigh pockets one with snaps.
Currently the styling is stupid (harem pants?!) but I’m hoping in the Spring it will improve. This probably isn’t helpful for the OP but maybe to others.
Are any of the other suggestions SUPER lightweight fabric?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back