• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Being prepared for the rain 🌧️

dadaperegrino

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 - Camino Francés
Hi all, I’m going to walk the Camino Ingles in less than a month in Galicia. That means a lot of rain is expected! ☔

So far I bought the following gear for rain:

I have been testing this equipment in the Dutch rain and I have been positively impressed so far.

However I have a few questions for you, Camino experts!
  • What do you think of the above mentioned equipment? Can it stand the Galician rain?
  • Anything that might be missing for the rain?
  • Do you have any advice for waterproof gloves too?
  • Is there such thing as a waterproof pant that can be used instead of wearing rain pants on top of normal pants?

I walked already five caminos in the past, but this will be my first in this season of the year, so it will be something new for me.

Thank you in advance for the answers! 🙏

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all, I’m going to walk the Camino Ingles in less than a month in Galicia. That means a lot of rain is expected! ☔

I have been testing this equipment in the Dutch rain and I have been positively impressed so far.

• What do you think of the above mentioned equipment? Can it stand the Galician rain?
  • Is there such thing as a waterproof pant that can be used instead of wearing rain pants on top of normal pants?

I walked already five caminos in the past, but this will be my first in this season of the year, so it will be something new for me.

Looks good though I would not bother with the rain pants but instead would take another dry extra top for the evenings.
My lightweight Schoffel pants for instance dried really quickly. I did use rainpants in the past but I sweat quickly and the pants build up too much condens for my liking.

I always wear non GTX high shoes.Ok, with the heavy rain the leatherboots get wet but also dry quickly. But if they work for you do stick to them!

I would opt for regular gloves.

Expect mud on this Camino.

Enjoy, the Inglés is great.

Last edited:
I prefer something like the Altus poncho/raincoat that covers everything, including my pack.
They can now be purchased in the forum store

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I did the Ingles in March with it raining on 4 out of 5 days. I used to pack rain pants, but stopped because I never ended wearing them (even in the rain). I wear quick drying pants or track pants and that works with great with me. I wear a Marmot lightweight rain jacket with hood and it keeps me dry.

I also prefer low shoes. I wore Hoka Challenger gortex shoes and they were fine for the Ingles. I'm switching back to my Altra Olympus 5 gortex for my next winter Camino . I like both shoes.

You didn't mention a rain cover for your pack, but I'm sure you have one. I've never felt the need for waterproof gloves or any additional waterproof gear. Enjoy the Ingles!

I just finished walking the CF which included 16 days of rain!

I love my Altus poncho. I love my Altus poncho.

I wore my usual hiking shoes and wore Sealskinz waterproof socks with wool toe socks - liners- underneath.

No rain pants - just wore quick dry shorts or pants, but it will be colder when you walk so you might need them.

Goves? Dunno - maybe wool liner gloves with waterproof mittens over the top?

whatever you choose buen Camino!.

1. Yes
2. A hat and rain cover for your rucksack
3. Don’t bother; they’re useless
4. No - but you can wear as much, or as little as you like under ‘overtrousers’

My Dutch friends are all 15cm closer to the rain than I am; but your climate is similar to Galicia. You’ll be fine.

Personally, I walk in shorts in anything but torrential rain. Skin dries faster than cloth.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Remember it is not just what you are wearing that needs to stay dry. You need dry clothes to change into when you get to wherever you are staying. Invest in drysacs - waterproof bags (pack covers are useless) to keep the contents of your pack dry. And don´t be tempted to put your dry clothes on next day or you´ll have two sets of wet clothes. The other point to remember is that water is completely harmless to the human skin, as you may have noticed when you swim or take a shower. Cold, however, can be dangerous so make sure you have warm base layers, e.g. merino which keeps insulating even if it does get wet.

I finished Ingles on October 31. It rained every day. I had rain pants and never wore them (my sister did wear hers), it was cool but not too cold and my capri leggings were fine. I would seriously consider a poncho. I had the Decathalon Poncho which worked incredibly well and has the advantage of being dirt cheap at $30 Canadian. It has long sleeves with an elastic cuff and a half zip front and was surprisingly easy to put on over my pack.

I get very cold when I stop walking, and had a very lightweight polartech fleece to pull on to under my merino zip hoodie, and had merino glove liners for cold mornings and I wore them a couple of times in the rain. The gloves somehow managed to keep my fingers warm-ish despite being wet.

Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I was going to recommend a hiking poncho (that also covers your rucksack). Then I noticed your planned dates.

The great thing about a poncho is that it covers everything, while allowing a maximum ventilation. But, too much ventilation can be a very bad thing in the winter months.

Remember this mantra, as you consider which gear to take: "Wet and warm is not bad, and sometimes can be very good indeed. Wet and cold is NEVER good. It leads to rapid hypothermia, and is just uncomfortable."

Thus, in the winter months, a waterproof rain parka (try to get one with armpit zipper vents) and waterproof pants makes more sense. Wear a water resistant (read microfiber or wool) watch cap for maximum warmth. Wear microfiber gloves. They dry fast and keep hands warm while using your hiking sticks.

Use a rucksack cover. But, DO put everything your rucksack in dry bags or zip lock bags, The rain will find it's way into your pack - usually down the pack panel.

Also, and as at least one other poster above recommended, always have a clean, dry outfit to put on after you arrive and have a warm shower. I generally rely on the outfit I plan to wear the following day to walk. If the place I am staying at has nil heat, I can always wear these clean dry clothes in my sleeping bag (also kept in a waterproof bag while walking).

The key to safe winter activities is to stay as dry and warm, as you can in all circumstances. Also, as you lose a majority of your body's warmth from your head and hands and feet. Keep these bits relatively more dry and warm than other body parts - at all times. That is why the gloves, hat, and also wearing good woolen socks makes excellent sense. You can wear them while you sleep in the sleeping bag you brought.

Sleeping bags are more or less optional in the hip and summer months. But, in the winter months, I would ALWAYS have a sleeping bag. Down is best if you remember to store it dry, because of the warmth to weight ratio.

Do NOT presume that any albergue or hostal will have blankets available to use, or that they were clean. Be self-sufficient in this matter.

Finally, HYDRATE! You can get just as dehydrated in the winter months as you can in the peak of summer. Warm beverages are nice. But, ANY BEVERAGE will do. Carry as much water during the winter months as you would in the summer months.

Hope this helps. Have great Camino!

Tom

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Regarding rain pants -- I finished the Camino Frances at the end of October with more than two weeks of cold and windy rain at the end, and I was glad to have rain/wind pants during the day. At night I switched into my hiking pants or leggings. Just offering another perspective. Good luck!
I already walked from Toulouse to Pamplune with a few days in rain pants and they were useful. Thank you for your input. Really appreciated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a set of Vertice Rain Mitts that fit over some fleece gloves. Sealskinz is another option. Finally, you can always get some extra large dishwashing gloves in the supermercado...I have used blue, but I would recommend yellow for safety. 🤣

Drybags are essential for keeping gear dry. I use a pack liner and drybags in the packliner (redundancy). Your drybag could be a plastic garbage bag ... just use a roll top type closure.

I am in your boat, having walked several Caminos but never in winter. I will be on the Camino in a little over 5 weeks.

I did one gear test in hours of Asturian rain. What I learned: my decathlon raincoat didn't keep me completely dry (this one: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/women...ing-jacket-100/_/R-p-169766?mc=8510411&c=pink). What I learned from previous Caminos: walking for hours in the rain, my Altus rainponcho didn't keep me completely dry. Another thing I already knew: raingear is sweaty (so no rainpants for me).

What I am going to bring (haven't tested it out yet):
- Rainjacket
- Raincover for my pack
- Altus poncho (with visor)
- Waterproof shoes (stood the test in the Asturian rain)
- Normal hiking pants (if not too cold I'll zipp of the legs)

In heavy/long rain I am going to combine rainjacket and raincover with my Altus poncho (praying it won't be too hot).

Consider a rain kilt. Very lightweight. Easy to get on and off. Keeps rain off your legs while allowing ventilation. Lower legs still get wet but if you want total protection you can wear gaiters.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just got back from two weeks on the Camino Portugues where it rained every single day so I can honestly say that my equipment was thoroughly tested. Before I list my rain gear, let me say this: it really does matter what kind of weather/rain you're dealing with, cold or hot, wind or no wind, full on rain all day or occasional showers, etc. In the off season you need to be prepared for cold and wind, so maybe rain pants are the way to go. If it's hot, you will want to shed layers, on and off all day long (or use an umbrella). If it's windy, you can't use your umbrella, so you need a good rain coat. If it's already rained for days, you're going to walk through water and your shoes will get wet, so maybe it's best to have shoes that will dry out overnight, like lightweight trail runners.

So here's my rain gear:
-Mountain Hardwear Rain Jacket
-Rain Skirt (Enlightened Equipment) (Really light, easy to put on and take off, fits in my pocket)
-Umbrella (Six Moons Designs) (I love my umbrella!)
-Seal Skin waterproof socks, worn over merino wool socks, with Chaco sandals
-Either quick dry pants, pulled up to my knees to stay dry or, better yet, a hiking skirt.
-Pack cover (my cheap decathlon cover soaked through once after all day rain but maybe they all do, not sure)
-Dry bags for things inside the backpack, especially sleeping bag and clothes, because you can't count on your pack cover 100%
-Some days I wore my trail runners (not waterproof) and merino socks. They got wet, but dried overnight, stuffed with newspaper.

The umbrella is my new favorite thing. I used it almost all the time, except when it was too windy, or when I really needed to use two poles for balance. I like my lightweight hiking umbrella but any umbrella would do. I can't recommend it enough.

I also brought merino gloves with Vertice Rain mittens but I didn't use them this time. If it had been colder, I would have.

Hope that helps! Enjoy!

Yes, there is such a thing as a waterproof trekking trousers. Paramo Cascada claim to be so. Very expensive though. I'm sure other top end outdoor companies do them.

I have a pair of cheap Decathon overtrousers. They were a bit sweaty and uncomfortable, definitely not good for all day wear. Then I found some Pertex I'd bought years ago and made a lining for them. Result - comfortable waterproof trousers that I can wear all day. Even if it's just threatening rain I put them on in the morning over my usual trekking trousers.

Unless you have waterproof socks or overtrousers that are hooked onto your footwear, I'd consider gaiters too.

Consider a rain kilt. Very lightweight. Easy to get on and off. Keeps rain off your legs while allowing ventilation. Lower legs still get wet but if you want total protection you can wear gaiters.
I second the rain kilt. My husband and I had rain pants our first camino and ended up mailing them home. Too heavy and too much trouble to put on and take off. But a rain kilt/skirt is extremely light weight and easy to put on and off. And it works!

I am slightly confused by the number of responses that recommend that you buy different gear. I don't know whether you are in a position to do that, so I thought that I might give you a slightly different take.

You might find the individual items have their limitations, but none of them seems to be absolutely unsuitable for walking, even at this time of year. I would be addressing my extremities - hat, gloves and socks - to make sure that I don't lose too much heat that way, and I might consider including a trekking umbrella.

And I wouldn't be leaving the rain pants behind. I use mine regularly when it rains, and on windy days as a wind-proof layer, just the same as I will use my rain-jacket for wind protection on breezy mornings. I find rain pants a much better option than long johns for added warmth. Having had to remove long johns when I warmed up and I was beginning to sweat too much in them, finding a place to strip off and remove them was an 'interesting' challenge.

Last edited:

As said on this post, pack cover will not keep out heavy rain. For me, all dry clothes and sleeping bag fit in one 8 liter dry bag. Down puffy goes into a ziplock for easy quick access. Nylafume liner inside pack keeps EVERYTHING in there dry. First aid and sundries go into a ziploc for visibility, same as toiletries. To keep the pack from getting waterlogged and heavy, I wear a large Frogtoggs rain coat that fits over myself and everything else. Rain skirt covers pants that are rolled and pinned above knees when it rains. Take some vaseline which works wonders for blister prevention on soggy feet and also for other body chafe areas that get wet from sweat or rain. Nylon baseball cap keeps rain mostly out of my eyes and off face, and also keeps jacket hood above my forehead for better range of view. I never wore gloves on Camino, but they do make waterproof windproof bicycle gloves which might to the trick. They are expensive.

I used an Altus poncho (it’s really a slicker, not a poncho) when I finished the Francés from Leon last week. I can’t praise it strongly enough. It rained almost every day and my pack was never wet. You can open the front and take your arms out of the sleeves for temperature control if the sun comes out for a brief period. I wore quick drying pants and leather boots, which dried out easy enough.

Hi. I too have just returned from Camino Frances taking me 33 days from SJPP to Santiago. I found it tough with reduced daylight, two weeks of temperatures over 30 degrees Celsius, 4 comfortable days followed by two weeks of rain and storms and hail. I didn't like the rain so shortened my days but carried my pack and didn't catch the bus.
i took an old rain jacket that was torn and filthy by Santiago but i was never wet. It was discarded.
The best thing i brought was old plastic rain pants. I loved them. I was never wet. I met pilgrims in high tek gear that was supposedly waterproof but they weren't. I also met lots of pilgrims who disliked their poncho. I also brought a simple fold up umbrella. I used it to in the heat and rain. I simply held it in my right hand, a walking pole in left hand and one in my pack.

Last edited:
dadaperegrino, so many opinions!
Something not mentioned above (as far as I can see) is the kind of acommodation you are planning on staying at. If you are staying in private accommodation it is likely to be well heated and have good facilities for drying everything out. So it doesn't matter much if you get a long cold soaking during the day. If you are staying mainly in Xunta albergues then warmth and the ability to dry everything out is not guaranteed, and there's the risk in mid-December of getting into the cold and wet state that t2andreo rightly warns against. It can be pretty miserable if you wake up the next morning and have to put on damp cold clothes and shoes and set out for more of the same.
If you are planning on staying in Xunta albergues I'd definitely take rain pants as an insurance to retain body warmth and dryness. Personally I like a good rainjacket/poncho to throw over everything protecting upper body and pack - and also retaining some body heat. But if your current set up has been working well in Dutch rain I see no reason to change it for a short camino like the Ingles.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm English, so am used to the rain and mud. I'd worry less about walking in bad weather and worry more about getting your stuff dry after your day and keeping your next days gear dry.

You're going to be wet and cold and If i were you I'd be making sure I have a days worth minimum of gear, dry for the following day. Most water repellent items won't be must use in proper wind and rain. I take my craghopper kiwi trousers which will dry quickly and have a very cheap pair of over trousers ( baggy plastic / nylon type things) which help. Take extra gear and keep it dry

Drying your gear and keeping warm will be your most pressing concern imho

@dadaperegrino , I have not done the camino yet; however, I live in the Netherlands and I'm Spanish. If you have tried your equipment in the current horrible weather in NL and you remained dry, you will survive in Spain. In Spain (even in the North) they don't get the amount of rain that we have been having here in the last month.

Maybe look for something to keep your rucksack dry.

Buen camino!

+1 for the rainkilt. I settled on a Zpack rain kit, but there are other brands YMMV.
The combination of the rain kilt and calf gaiters gives me about as much protection as rain pants, but it breathes better than rain pants.

On wash day, I wear my jacket and kilt while my clothes are in the washer / dryer. The rain kilt is black (opaque).😜

Dependent on your sleep system, you can throw some damp things (not all your clothes) in the bottom of your sleeping bag and they will dry overnight. I have done this on many occasions in Quetico on extended canoe trips. You can wring out your wet stuff, twirl it around in a centrifical fashion, roll it up in your towel and wring it again ... this will get most of the water out.

I love dry socks, and a buff.

Just gear talk ... @dadaperegrino go with confidence if you have tested your rain kit.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Just completed the Ingles 2 weeks ago. Very rainy and with that, some mud And wind! I think it was extraordinary due to a weather disturbance which turned into a hurricane of some sorts. Hope it has dried out some by now. With all that, still such a gorgeous, soul satisfying Camino. You’re going to love it. I think your gear list sounds great. I wear a sea to summit nano-sil poncho which serves me well. And quick dry pants. Buen Camino!

From a Past Post I made:

Water can enter trail runner shoes, hiking shoes, or backpacking boots through any opening during a rainstorm, when walking through wet grass and brush, or drench into them if you walk through puddles or other standing water along the Camino. A High leather boot that is properly treated with a leather conditioner such as Sno Seal has the best chance of keeping a foot dry. However the trade-off is a much heavier pair of footwear, which has its own drawbacks.

There are two potential remedies to this problem, neither of which is always effective.
  • First, you can try keeping rain pants over the tops of shoes, so the water runs down the pants past the opening. But this system can be uncomfortably hot in warm weather during rain-soaked conditions. It offers no protection for puddles or having to cross water runoffs on the pathway.
  • You can try using a footwear with a waterproof gaiter or some other waterproof cobbles -- like thick plastic bags. I have not often seen a gaiter or other waterproof trapping that would both keep the water out and keep the feet dry.
“Waterproof” shoes are a misnomer for several reasons.
  • They can fail as the materials simply don’t work over the near and long term due to the difficulties of application and coverage of all areas of the footwear sufficiently. Seams for example.
  • The waterproof coating or laminate in the shoes does not last. Some manufacturers of the lightweight trail shoes, which are usually constructed as a hybrid of fabric and leather, have treated them with a coating which can quickly wear off. It also keeps sweat in the shoe and your feet get soaked in sweat. Fairly quickly, coatings break down and will no longer be waterproof.
  • Footwear which relies on a “Gore-Tex” style of waterproof/breathable laminate will break down through both wear and tear and dirt buildup on the material which renders it ineffective.
When I’ve tested so-called waterproof / breathable fabrics in shoes for various manufacturers, their actual performance never matched what was claimed. My reports to their QA departments have always reflected these weaknesses as found during testing. Sometimes a shoe will start the test period working fairly well under a narrow range of wet conditions, but as the testing progresses the failures increase.

Waterproof/breathable membranes, like Gore-Tex, are only marginally breathable — water vapor from perspiration does not pass through the fabric as efficiently as is claimed. It can't. Unlike outerwear, the shoe material radically inhibits the ability of the membrane to allow water vapor to escape, thereby trapping it in the shoe.

So, on warm days the experience of having sweat being trapped in the shoe is common. Combined with the fact that the fabric waterproofing is quickly damaged by dirt, sweat, grime, and abrasion and it’s only a matter of time before exterior moisture begins penetrating the fabric and allowing feet to get wet from outside moisture as well.

This is why most experienced trekkers and backpackers no longer go to great lengths to keep feet dry. They accept that when the weather is wet, feet will also get wet. Even the US military uses footwear for wet conditions which is not waterproof. The strategy is how to minimize any problems when feet are wet.

In working with folks new to backpacking who ask about waterproof footwear recommendations, I have asked why they wanted waterproof shoes. Sometimes, they will look at me as if I had spaghetti sticking out of my nose. Most will answer that they think their feet will stay dry, and that having wet feet is akin to getting into horrible trouble.

This post is meant to help inform, reassure, and give a different line of thought and reasoning to this issue.

Understand that I LIKE to have dry feet. I always try to avoid wet feet. I have tried many ways to keep my feet dry:
  • “Waterproof” shoes, which, as I’ve said, don’t work well.
  • “Waterproof” socks, which don’t work for similar reasons: shoes still get wet, and feet soak with sweat. However – In cold weather these soaks can be the basis for use as vapor barriers for warmth conservation of the feet.
  • Wearing multiple pairs of socks, frequently changing from wet to dry, which eventually all get wet.
  • Carrying multiple pairs of shoes, which eventually all get wet, too.
I have never had total success at keeping my feet dry in very wet conditions, which led me to research what has been done to develop effective strategies. If I can’t keep my feet dry, then I need to try and eliminate or minimize the risk of any of the bad things that could occur to my wet feet when walking.

Some of these lessons I learned while in Vietnam…. Like the fact that our boots had fabric tops and numerous holes in the thin leather bottom portions so that water drained out quickly and never sat in the boots.

What are the most frequent and problematic 'bad' things?
  • Maceration is the medical term for pruning, where the skin’s outer layer absorbs a lot of moisture and gets “soggy” from that moisture. The skin gets sore and extremely soft which makes it more prone to blistering and developing other problems.
  • Cracking of the skin when the macerated feet dry. The natural moisture and oiliness of the skin is gone. The severity depends on how much stress the skin is exposed to after it is dried out.
So, what does work for me, and others, if I am going to be walking or backpacking in wet weather?
  • Apply a good, thick coating of a Goop (ointment or salve) to my feet and between toes before putting on socks and shoes in the morning. If rain occurs later in the day, then remove shoes and socks and do the same. This helps protect from external moisture.
Goop which has a high content of wax – either bee or paraffin – is most ideal, especially if it also has a high lanolin content.
  • Wear non-waterproof shoes which can drain and then dry out quickly. This minimizes the amount of puddling in the shoe that bathes the feet in moisture. Modern trail running shoes, and trail shoes often have nice open mesh fabric which is terrific for draining water.
Non-waterproof shoes will also eliminate moisture from sweaty feet. Remember, it doesn’t matter what the source of the moisture is that feet are exposed to: be it rain or sweat, each can cause the same problems.
  • Wear thin, light-cushioned merino wool socks, which don’t absorb as much water as thicker socks. Merino wool will also keep wet feet warm and comfortable in most seasons and temperature ranges, unless the weather is frigid winter-cold.
  • Take off shoes and socks to let feet air dry during rest stop that will be longer than 20 minutes.During this time, I will wring out any excess moisture from the socks, but I will not put on either of my dry pairs (I take three). I will also wipe off moisture on my feet and then reapply a goodly amount of Goop to my feet to help keep them from becoming macerated.
  • When stopping for the day, apply Goop to the bottoms of feet, both before and after showering.
  • Carry an extra pair of insoles. These insoles do not have to be your preferred “walking” insoles that you may have purchased separately. These can be the lightweight pair which came with your shoes. These will be the barrier between your wet footwear and your dry socks when you are done for the day and if your shoes are a bit damp come morning.
I find that at days end, I can remove the wet insoles and use absorbent paper or toweling to sop up as much moisture as is possible while I am showering and dealing with end of the day chores.

When I get ready to go to dinner or wander around town, I put on a pair of dry Merino wool socks, insert the extra pair of dry insoles into my shoes, and put the shoes back on to walk around in. This accelerates drying out the shoes. Depending on the shoe’s material, within a couple of hours the shoes are mostly dry.
  • At bedtime, I remove the insoles and stuff absorbent material into the shoes to continue the drying out process, if need be, during the night.
  • Apply more salve or ointment and wear dry and warm socks at while sleeping; this gives feet 8-9 hours of recovery.
Having hiked the PCT, Colorado Trail, thousands of miles throughout the US in the Cascades, Rockies, Sierras, and three Caminos, this is the system that I've evolved to be the best of a wet situation.

Dave, I agree with everything you said above, and also wore those holed boots (with steel bottom liner) in Vietnam. But, last month I walked through A LOT of long wet grass on the Chemin Arles and was glad to have Gore-tex boots (La Sportiva). Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Having hiked the PCT, Colorado Trail, thousands of miles throughout the US in the Cascades, Rockies, Sierras, and three Caminos, this is the system that I've evolved to be the best of a wet situation.
@davebugg, the fact that this system works for you is, of course, no guarantee that it is the only solution, nor the best one for everyone. I know my experience over a number of caminos and other walking tracks is that a combination of waterproof jacket and rain pants with a waterproof boot is capable of protecting against getting one's feet wet during the walking day, even when walking with regular steady rain or frequent rain showers.

Both this year and last year, I walked the CP, VE and Sanabres using this approach, using double socks and treating my feet with a standard commercial anti-fungal foot powder in the morning. I carry a second pair of water sports shoes for the evening. On the CP I did have problems with a new podiatrist fitted footbed reducing the space in the toe box more than I think might have been anticipated, and stopped double socking for the rest of the time to give my toes a little more space. It was too late to prevent the loss of a toenail, but did stop further problems.

This year, with a different boot, this combination kept my feet from getting wet even with three successive days of regular rain showers walking north from Valença. Only on the third day, when the rain was almost continual, did my feet get more than damp during the course of the day. On that last day of rain there was very little chance for any sweat forming in my boot to be evaporated to let things dry out between rain showers while I was walking, and there was a greater build up of sweat as a result. In the past, I have found that even as little as an hour of walking without rain is sufficient to start drying out when I have started to get sweat build up if I continue walking vigorously when it is raining. This includes footwear.

You are probably correct in all of your assessments, although I do feel that you overstate the case against waterproof footwear, and discount the effectiveness of waterproof footwear in the circumstances most of us face walking the Camino. It seems to me that the arguments you are using are similar to those used by the ultra-light long distance trail running community. Whether this approach is best for older camino walkers is clearly a matter of opinion. You clearly seem to think that it is. I don't, and my experience demonstrates that there are clear advantages to wearing waterproof boots as part of a clothing system designed to resist water ingress in wet conditions. It is possible to stay reasonably dry this way, and I would prefer to do that than take the risks with the alternative approach you are advocating.

Last edited:
@davebugg, the fact that this system works for you is, of course, no guarantee that it is the only solution, nor the best one for everyone. I know my experience over a number of caminos and other walking tracks is that a combination of waterproof jacket and rain pants with a waterproof boot is capable of protecting against getting one's feet wet during the walking day, even when walking with regular steady rain or frequent rain showers.

Both this year and last year, I walked the CP, VE and Sanabres using this approach, using double socks and treating my feet with a standard commercial anti-fungal foot powder in the morning. I carry a second pair of water sports shoes for the evening. On the CP I did have problems with a new podiatrist fitted footbed reducing the space in the toe box more than I think might have been anticipated, and stopped double socking for the rest of the time to give my toes a little more space. It was too late to prevent the loss of a toenail, but did stop further problems.

This year, with a different boot, this combination kept my feet from getting wet even with three successive days of regular rain showers walking north from Valença. Only on the third day, when the rain was almost continual, did my feet get more than damp during the course of the day. On that last day of rain there was very little chance for any sweat forming in my boot to be evaporated to let things dry out between rain showers while I was walking, and there was a greater build up of sweat as a result. In the past, I have found that even as little as an hour of walking without rain is sufficient to start drying out when I have started to get sweat build up if I continue walking vigorously when it is raining. This includes footwear.

You are probably correct in all of your assessments, although I do feel that you overstate the case against waterproof footwear, and discount the effectiveness of waterproof footwear in the circumstances most of us face walking the Camino. It seems to me that the arguments you are using are similar to those used by the ultra-light long distance trail running community. Whether this approach is best for older camino walkers is clearly a matter of opinion. You clearly seem to think that it is. I don't, and my experience is demonstrates that there are clear advantages to wearing waterproof boots as part of a clothing system designed to resist water ingress in wet conditions. It is possible to stay reasonably dry this way, and I would prefer to do that than take the risks with the alternative approach you are advocating.

Doug, you and I agree on many things, and we will have friendly differences of opinions on others, my friend. To be sure, I use my experience as well as that of observations of larger cohorts of similar hikers and walkers to inform what I relate. You do as well. I do not discount what you feel is most effective, and while I did note the protection level of leather boots, because of weight factors which I find have too many negatives for me - outside of wearing them during winter and cold - in various ways.

I do appreciate your post and input. Thank you.

Dave, I agree with everything you said above, and also wore those holed boots (with steel bottom liner) in Vietnam. But, last month I walked through A LOT of long wet grass on the Chemin Arles and was glad to have Gore-tex boots (La Sportiva). Buen Camino

I believe that. I find the same level of protection with my Lowa Camino (coincidence) GTX, which are goretex lined, although I doubt the goretex laminate is still doing its job. But the treated leather of these boots are definitely keeping feet dry in snow and cold rain. Since my winter treks involve the necessity of carrying more food for burnable calories, more clothing for the cold, and heavier sleeping quilt and mattress, the weight of the boots is less of a concern as I am going to move at a much slower pace than I do during good and warm weather. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Remember it is not just what you are wearing that needs to stay dry. You need dry clothes to change into when you get to wherever you are staying. Invest in drysacs - waterproof bags (pack covers are useless) to keep the contents of your pack dry. And don´t be tempted to put your dry clothes on next day or you´ll have two sets of wet clothes. The other point to remember is that water is completely harmless to the human skin, as you may have noticed when you swim or take a shower. Cold, however, can be dangerous so make sure you have warm base layers, e.g. merino which keeps insulating even if it does get wet.
That's really precious advice, thank you!

I was going to recommend a hiking poncho (that also covers your rucksack). Then I noticed your planned dates.

The great thing about a poncho is that it covers everything, while allowing a maximum ventilation. But, too much ventilation can be a very bad thing in the winter months.

Remember this mantra, as you consider which gear to take: "Wet and warm is not bad, and sometimes can be very good indeed. Wet and cold is NEVER good. It leads to rapid hypothermia, and is just uncomfortable."

Thus, in the winter months, a waterproof rain parka (try to get one with armpit zipper vents) and waterproof pants makes more sense. Wear a water resistant (read microfiber or wool) watch cap for maximum warmth. Wear microfiber gloves. They dry fast and keep hands warm while using your hiking sticks.

Use a rucksack cover. But, DO put everything your rucksack in dry bags or zip lock bags, The rain will find it's way into your pack - usually down the pack panel.

Also, and as at least one other poster above recommended, always have a clean, dry outfit to put on after you arrive and have a warm shower. I generally rely on the outfit I plan to wear the following day to walk. If the place I am staying at has nil heat, I can always wear these clean dry clothes in my sleeping bag (also kept in a waterproof bag while walking).

The key to safe winter activities is to stay as dry and warm, as you can in all circumstances. Also, as you lose a majority of your body's warmth from your head and hands and feet. Keep these bits relatively more dry and warm than other body parts - at all times. That is why the gloves, hat, and also wearing good woolen socks makes excellent sense. You can wear them while you sleep in the sleeping bag you brought.

Sleeping bags are more or less optional in the hip and summer months. But, in the winter months, I would ALWAYS have a sleeping bag. Down is best if you remember to store it dry, because of the warmth to weight ratio.

Do NOT presume that any albergue or hostal will have blankets available to use, or that they were clean. Be self-sufficient in this matter.

Finally, HYDRATE! You can get just as dehydrated in the winter months as you can in the peak of summer. Warm beverages are nice. But, ANY BEVERAGE will do. Carry as much water during the winter months as you would in the summer months.

Hope this helps. Have great Camino!

Tom
Some of the best advice I ever received. Gracias Tom! 🙏

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am in your boat, having walked several Caminos but never in winter. I will be on the Camino in a little over 5 weeks.

I did one gear test in hours of Asturian rain. What I learned: my decathlon raincoat didn't keep me completely dry (this one: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/women...ing-jacket-100/_/R-p-169766?mc=8510411&c=pink). What I learned from previous Caminos: walking for hours in the rain, my Altus rainponcho didn't keep me completely dry. Another thing I already knew: raingear is sweaty (so no rainpants for me).

What I am going to bring (haven't tested it out yet):
- Rainjacket
- Raincover for my pack
- Altus poncho (with visor)
- Waterproof shoes (stood the test in the Asturian rain)
- Normal hiking pants (if not too cold I'll zipp of the legs)

In heavy/long rain I am going to combine rainjacket and raincover with my Altus poncho (praying it won't be too hot).
Thank you Luka! Buen Camino!!!

i’m walking 100km from Sarria on CF over New Years with my 15 year old daughter. We’re shoe shopping now. I personally don’t like high top, prefer low top trail running shoes in general - but obviously we could have a lot of rain. I guess one question is high top or low top?

My daughter prefers high top so we’re shopping for shoes that will be comfortable for her as well. We bought a pair of Oboz last week and went on a 6 mile trial but she didn’t like them - the tops were too stiff and she also got a heel blister - so we’re going back to REI to try different pair.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, everyone is different but I don't think you can go wrong with goretex shoes. I would consider a poncho with sleeves and I find goretex "gaitors" (that's what we call them in the UK) - very useful. They cover your shoe tops, up your shins and calves and finish just below the knee. They help keep your lower legs dry and warm and help prevent rainwater entering the top of your shoes. Make sure you choose ones with the opening and closing velcro strips (avoid zips) at the front, much easier to take on and off than rear closure ones. Can be donned in seconds, on the fly and removed quickly. They dry in no time, weigh nothing and pack up to almost nothing.
Buen Camino

Last edited:

Kia ora (greetings, hope you are well)

I live in a wet and windy part of the world. And pleased with the wonderful sunny day (so far).

Anything that might be missing ...
I work all my tops using layers for regulating heat and cold.​
The first three layers are merino wool, two short sleeve and one long sleeve.​
The fourth is a long sleeve parka - rain and windproof - with a hood - about 200 grams.​
I had tried the Altus and found it was really difficult to put if there was any wind about - others report that has not been an issue for them.​
My pack is of lightweight waterproof material (about 500 grams), courtesy zPacks​
Add in a dry pack liner and tops, pants and hose in water resistant bags.​

Waterproof gloves
I have tried waterproof gloves and found them impractical.​
For me they tended to be inflexible (so not easy with walking poles), bulky and quite heavy.​
I have a pair of Vertice rain mittens, courtesy zPacks. Very light weight and can be worn by themselves.​

Waterproof outer pants
I wear a kilt when walking.​
So the thought of a waterproof kilt (cover) was not a problem.​
It can be used as a garment in its own right.​
And as such has in-built air conditioning.​

Footwear
For more than 10 years I have used a running shoe with an open weave top.​
This allows the foot to breathe.​
I understand, if the feet are "cocooned" blisters and other nasties will most probably follow.​

My favourite walk is 16 km along a beach at low tide (firm sand).
There are four streams to cross.​
In addition to to the open weave topped shoes, I wear two pair of long hose: the inner for varicose veins and the outer for show - both polyester (or similar - no wool or cotton or ...)​
About 100 metres (yards) after passing through a stream my warm feet are helping any residual moisture to "escape".​
At the end of the day, at worst I have slightly damp hose and shoes that need a bit more airing.​
But that is me - your experience might even be better.​

And I have explicitly learnt from this thread. @t2andreo said "wet and cold" should be avoided.
While that phrase may have been implicit in my thinking, having it spelt out has helped me clearly understand the objective. So thank you for that.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

This "10 tips for walking in the rain" (why are there never 11 or 9?) has popped up on the Via Francigena site.

1. Check weather and route conditions beforehand
  2. Waterproof onion layering
  3. Waterproof shoes
  4. Protect your backpack
  5. Be careful where you put your feet
  6. Is it better to walk or run in the rain?
  7. Walking in the rain alone or in company
  8. Accept the rain like you would the sun, because it is good for you
  9. Learn to wait
  10. Don’t forget to smile!
Never thought about many of them but there are a couple of bits of advice that suggest I should do more rain walking than I do. (less allergens).

So be an onion (#2) next time and avoid cotton. Or run in a wetsuit (#6)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
(# 6) is a huge "don't run ever!" in my opinion on the Camino; rain or shine. Been there, done that, breaking my arm last spring wearing my heavy backpack at the Charmartin train station on my way home.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.