• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For the techies out there...walking sticks

adesmar123

Time of past OR future Camino
Does the use of walking sticks or poles have a physiological purpose? Do any laws of physics apply to the use of walking sticks or poles?

Buen Camino

Alan

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have horrible ankles. I'm not sure about the physics behind it, but I don't sprain them when I walk with poles.

Hi, Alan,

I am definitely not a techie, but I do use walking sticks, and have since my first Camino in 2000. I take it that your question about "physiological" purpose means something other than just finding them to be a godsend when navigating thick mud, or through water, or up or down steep and/or slippery slopes. In addition, my sports medicine doctor told me that walking sticks take some of the weight load off the knees upon impact. And since our weight load is increased by the weight of our backpacks, that for me was good enough reason to use them. I tend to use them on flat land as well as on hills, but for me it's just now part of the walking rhythm. The first time I walked, I used just one stick, but since then I've used a pair. And the numbers of people using them have increased tremendously as well. In 2000, we saw virtually no one with a pair of sticks, now they're all the rage among my demographic. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have not fallen down a very steep hillside because my walking stick saved me.

There are sites on the Internet which tell you how to use them properly, though I am self-taught.

Going up hills. If you lean slightly forward on your sticks and move them over short distances your arm muscles are taking a great deal of the weight of your upper body, perhaps as much as one third.

When I was well, hills were a challenge. Now they are a major obstacle, but with two sticks to lean on I find I can cope quite well and make good time up the hills.

You might have to practice a little with them to find what works best for you, but they will repay you tremendously.

I used a staff on my first Camino and Pacer poles on the second. The improvement was quite noticeable and I would happily recommend them to anyone. If you visit their site there is a good explanation of how they work.
Sandra :arrow:

I must admit, I was quite proud at how 'fit' my arms got after using my poles for 28 days! Nice to get more of an all-body workout!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used a locally-bought walking stick my first Camino and Pacer Poles my second Camino.
I liked both.
Each had their positives and negatives.
I haven't decided which way I'll go next time around.

adesmar123 said:
Does the use of walking sticks or poles have a physiological purpose? Do any laws of physics apply to the use of walking sticks or poles?

Buen Camino

Alan
Yes and yes.
Physiological - reduce weight on lower joints - hips, knees, ankles depending on how much you can push down, toning of upper body, improved stability so less likelihood of lower limb injury, etc.

Physics - the closer the pole is to the vertical, the more any force on the pole reduces the weight borne by the lower body. As the angle increases, the more the force translates to propulsion. The balance between weight reduction and propulsion is governed by the length of your pole, which affects the angle at which it strikes the ground.

All this relies on generating sufficient force to make a difference. Technical poles are easier to do this with than plain wooden poles without straps. Poles used badly will make little difference; those used well can be an enormous benefit.

Regards,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A woman in her seventies did a face plant and is in surgery today in Santiago. She was plucky enough to walk two days to finish (against medical advice). She would have been OK with trekking poles!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
lynnejohn said:
I agree. My knees are in crummy shape and I wouldn't be able to walk downhill, in particular, if it wasn't for my poles.

But all of the benefits of walking poles/sticks discussed here depend on one thing: using the poles properly! If you don't know whether or not you're using them properly, watch one of the several excellent instructional videos.

Here are just a couple:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2354883_use-t ... poles.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtV_KpYTw00

lynnejohn, thanks for the links to these video clips.
The second of these is one of the best that I have seen to date, almost justifying the hyperbole at the start. The first is good, but doesn't demonstrate the correct use of the strap, which is a pity.

Regards

Well there's this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzYJAw_NvG0

Let me just add that I'm no expert on poles. I was clueless until I looked up these videos and practiced in front of the mirror until I felt comfortable with the proper way to use them - that was three caminos ago.

lynnejohn said:
Well there's this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzYJAw_NvG0

Let me just add that I'm no expert on poles. I was clueless until I looked up these videos and practiced in front of the mirror until I felt comfortable with the proper way to use them - that was three caminos ago.

That's a really great explanation that gets right to the point. Thx again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Physics - the closer the pole is to the vertical, the more any force on the pole reduces the weight borne by the lower body. As the angle increases, the more the force translates to propulsion. The balance between weight reduction and propulsion is governed by the length of your pole, which affects the angle at which it strikes the ground.

Unless you are using Pacer Poles, which are used in a different way to Nordic poles. Cheers, Janet

Janet, in what way are pacer poles used differently?
By the way, did it bug anyone to see the way the big Netherlander used his poles in The Way? :lol:

jl said:

Unless you are using Pacer Poles, which are used in a different way to Nordic poles. Cheers, Janet

The description applies to all poles, Nordic, trekking, Pacer. It about the physics, which doesn't change! The force is transmitted along the axis of the pole, and as pole angle increases, so does the horizontal component.

Pacer poles might change how the pole is used to generate that force, but not the way the force is translated into lift and propulsion.

Nordic poles are at a greater angle, giving greater propulsion, trekking poles normally near the vertical, giving greater lift.

Regards,

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I just watched "The Way" on the flight home from Madrid on Aer Lingus to Dulles, and I liked it much more than I expected to.

Except for the Dutch man's use of trekking poles.

Expect 10,000 U.S. Pilgrims next year.

Indeed. That's the (selfish) reason I don't talk about "The Way" to folks.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.