• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Amsterdam??

Zohard

Till now my main plan was to start my walk from France but i thought about throwing in the question... is there a route that starts from Amsterdam? if so where and how do i go there? also... what is the route that is the most easily accessible from Amsterdam?

thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, I'm sure there are walks from Amsterdam and they're probably beautiful.
But if you decide just to GO to Amsterdam and then take the train to SJPP from there, we did this in 2007. We took a train that went to Paris, then to Bayonne, then to SJPP. It was inexpensive and worked great for us.

By the way, there is an inexpensive hostel that we like in Amsterdam called The Shelter. They have two, one in the red district which is a nice and interesting place to stay. Another is near the Anne Frank house and near the Rittman Library (hermetic library). They are inexpensive, clean, and nice folks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We have cycled from Hook of Holland via Bruges, Ghent, Tournai, Mons, Namur, Reims, Chalons en Chanpagne, Brienne, Tonnerre to the Vezelay route. See our blog for details. I think there is a more direct route from Amsterdam which takes you east and to the Meuse at Maastricht. In France the GR654 goes from the border at Dinant to Vezelay (and beyond).

Ivor, do you think it would be a good idea to have a sub-forum for the extra long pilgrimages which begin before the four French routes?

One possibility:

Pelgrimspad: Amsterdam to Maastricht;
Via Mosana: Maastricht to Namur;
GR654: Namur to Vezelay;
Voie de Vezelay: Vezelay to SJPdP
Camino Frances: SJPdP to Santiago

There are guide books to all these routes, but only the Camino Frances in English. I was hoping to travel this route myself but an injury has prevented it. Maybe another year.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back