• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gaining more time? (Non-Europeans)

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
I'm planning a through hike of both the Le Puy route and the Camino Francés, possibly for next year. We're hiking and biking more to try and get in shape ahead of time, and I've planned out the route (would take approximately 76 days, including rest days) but it doesn't leave a whole lot of wiggle room if something came up and we weren't able to keep up the pace. We also wouldn't have a lot of time for sight seeing before/after the Camino.

One thing I've thought of it perhaps signing up for a language program in France, getting the attestation for a long stay visa, and then checking in with the authorities in the city where the program is in order to get the permit stamp in our passports. But instead of paying for an expensive language program, we'd go on the Camino instead.

There are a couple of things I'm not sure about:
1. Do you have to have a permanent address in France before going to the authorities? When I studied in Strasbourg years ago it was a different process. The French government has since changed things to make it easier.
2. Is this actually illegal, instead of just sneaky? I wouldn't want to get that dreaded stamp in the passport at the end saying we couldn't return to Europe, or have to pay a big fine.

It would be nice to be able to start in Geneva, actually, but we would have absolutely no wiggle room if we did that. I'd also like to be able to see Cluny. I don't want to skip any stages because I did that before and my husband hasn't even been overseas. We'll probably bike the Meseta portion, renting bikes and panniers and/or sending the packs ahead. But that only saves about 5 days, max. I think other stretches of the Camino would be too hilly for us on bikes.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm planning a through hike of both the Le Puy route and the Camino Francés, possibly for next year. We're hiking and biking more to try and get in shape ahead of time, and I've planned out the route (would take approximately 76 days, including rest days) but it doesn't leave a whole lot of wiggle room if something came up and we weren't able to keep up the pace. We also wouldn't have a lot of time for sight seeing before/after the Camino.

One thing I've thought of it perhaps signing up for a language program in France, getting the attestation for a long stay visa, and then checking in with the authorities in the city where the program is in order to get the permit stamp in our passports. But instead of paying for an expensive language program, we'd go on the Camino instead.

There are a couple of things I'm not sure about:
1. Do you have to have a permanent address in France before going to the authorities? When I studied in Strasbourg years ago it was a different process. The French government has since changed things to make it easier.
2. Is this actually illegal, instead of just sneaky? I wouldn't want to get that dreaded stamp in the passport at the end saying we couldn't return to Europe, or have to pay a big fine.

It would be nice to be able to start in Geneva, actually, but we would have absolutely no wiggle room if we did that. I'd also like to be able to see Cluny. I don't want to skip any stages because I did that before and my husband hasn't even been overseas. We'll probably bike the Meseta portion, renting bikes and panniers and/or sending the packs ahead. But that only saves about 5 days, max. I think other stretches of the Camino would be too hilly for us on bikes.

Ask your questions at the embassy. You won't get reliable advice here even as it is well meaning.

Usually people who try to bend the rules do everyone a disservice including themselves. I would recommend against any attempt to game the system.

If you want a visa for longer than 90 days in order to travel the camino, ask for a visa for that purpose. Who knows, you might get it.

But would I have to contact France or Spain? Or does it matter?

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

Another question to ask at either the French or Spanish embassy is if the extended visa applies to both countries.

Si yo fuera tu, plan on 90 days.

You have many Camino journeys in mind. Don't try to do them all in one year.

Just envious of Europeans that have more time, I guess. I'll have to settle for a longer hike on the AT at some point. My husband and I want to do that too, just don't know when.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Bilouete!

I totally understand the sentiment but I agree - I've heard of too many people getting into trouble for violating the 90 day rule and it causes them all sorts of headaches and anxiety. Having heard the stories it seems that it really is best to respect the limits that the Schengen Area has set, even though this is disappointing. If you'd really like to have a longer-stay visa, you'll need to arrange this with the Spanish/ French Consulates in America before you come over (some people fly over and would like to stay longer, then learn that they actually need to do everything visa-related in their home country). A student visa for learning Spanish might be a good idea, and there are some university or other intensive language courses that might fit the bill if being here for a whole semester isn't a minimum requirement. I know the University of Santiago does an intensive Spanish course.

If worse comes to worse you can apply for a retirement visa when the time comes. You just need to prove you have 50,000€ per person in the bank!! :)

Take care,
Faith

Here's the link to the San Francisco Spanish consulate. I like their website because it's clear and easy to follow, even though only those who fall under their jurisdiction can actually submit paperwork there. But hopefully it still gives you an idea of the different visas there are and what the requirements are: http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/SANFRANCISCO/en/ConsularServices/Pages/Visas.aspx

There's also a Visa FAQ's on the website that you can look for.

Depending on what visa you obtain, it may not matter since both Spain and France are part of the Schengen area and a longer-stay visa will allow you to move around the Schengen area. But again, it may depend on the particular visa and you'll probably want to do some research or talk to the Consulate and make sure.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would strongly advise against trying to 'Trick the system'. It's not worth the risk of being caught. Better to do one Camino in the knowledge that all is above board. Then come back for another when the time is right.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We (non-visa-free) are required to get the Schengen visa from the country of the longest stay. They also require the itinerary.
I guess that would be France, just by a couple of days. I'll see about sending an email inquiry to the embassy. Thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back