• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gazpacho: Spain’s Answer to Gatorade

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I just came across this article in Outside Magazine. On my last Camino I occasionally bought a bottle of supermarket gazpacho. It was refreshing, and apparently better than Gatorade at replenishing electrolytes because it does so without added sugar.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just came across this article in Outside Magazine. On my last Camino I occasionally bought a bottle of supermarket gazpacho. It was refreshing, and apparently better than Gatorade at replenishing electrolytes because it does so without added sugar.

I tended to buy it by the carton (1L) in supermarkets rather than by the bottle. I did that 2 or 3 times last Camino.

Although I thought Aquarius was Spain's answer to Gatorade.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Although I thought Aquarius was Spain's answer to Gatorade.
Ditto. Tastes a whole lot better too.
I’d love to drink Gazpacho, taste’s great and a whole lot healthier - but peppers/ capsicum 🫑 and I have a love/ hate relationship…
Enjoy, the rest of you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gazpacho is my answer to Gatorade; it is harvest season in my part of Canada, and the tomatoes and peppers are celestial.
I like Aquarius much more than Gatorade, primarily because of the much lower sugar content: "While Gatorade is very similar to sports water, sports water drinks such as Aquarius and Pocari Sweat are more electrolytes and water than sugar and flavour as seen in most of Gatorades and Powerades. Aquarius allows for ease of hydration by coming as close to the contents of sweat as drink science can get." I wish I could get Aquarius in the USA!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, love it! One of my favorite memories was on our first try (2011) doing the VDLP in 105 degree heat. We were suffering, when a friendly man invited us into his home for homemade gazpacho! He looked like Anthony Quinn.

We gave up at Fuentes and popped onto the Frances in Leon where I left my guide at the Benedictine Albergue. I've always regretted leaving it, having never been able to afford another one like it.

I did return several times to complete the route, but something always happened - last time was when COVID hit. I've never made it past Caceres.

2011 VDLP Blog Post

But that was the BEST Gazpacho ever!

During my first Vía de la Plata in July 2011 Gazpacho was the only thing I could eat during the first week out of Sevilla. It was so hot that I lost my appetite. Gazpacho gave me the fluids (of course as well as 4 liters of water per day) that I needed as well as some vitamins until I got used to the heat.

Since then I've made it on several occasions and always buy it from the supermarket at least once while on a Camino.

I have heard of gazpacho for many years, but have never looked for it, nor seen it at a glance in supermarkets at home or abroad.
I have purchased "V8" juice in cans a number of times in the US over the years, but can't say I "love it". Is gazpacho similar?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love gazpacho and drank it a lot on my Camino. I happened to look at the calories, though, and realized a gallon has about 2000 calories, probably because of the olive oil. So not a light snack

I love gazpacho and drank it a lot on my Camino. I happened to look at the calories, though, and realized a gallon has about 2000 calories, probably because of the olive oil. So not a light snack
Never an issue for me, as I never drank close to a gallon (3.78 liters) at a time. The bottles that I bought were half liter size, or about 0.13 gallon, which would be about 260 calories. 😊

Never an issue for me, as I never drank close to a gallon (3.78 liters) at a time. The bottles that I bought were half liter size, or about 0.13 gallon, which would be about 260 calories. 😊
Sorry I meant liter!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have the bestest, most killer gazpacho recipe ever, we pretty much live on the stuff all through the summer here on the Meseta. Let me know if you want the Secret Formula...
Yes, please tell! I was just about to go to the grocery store.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From Penelope Casas, who gave me the measures in US proportions:
Red Gazpacho de Andaluz

a 4-inch length of baguette, de-crusted
1 medium Vidalia or mild Spanish onion, peeled and chopped
2 pounds ripe tomatoes, chopped and seeded (sometimes I also peel them)
2 big or 3 small green or red peppers, chopped
1 5-inch cucumber (Kirby or English are best) peeled and chopped
3 or 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 cup mild olive oil (doesn't have to be EVOO)
salt/sugar
6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar (required!)
2 cups cold water

Finely chopped tomoato, pepper, onion, breadcrusts for garnish

Soak the bread in water and squeeze til pasty.
In a food processor or blender grind together the vegetables with the vinegar, salt, and bread goo until smooth. Add olive oil slowly, in a stream, with the motor running til color changes Sir in the water.
Taste to adjust for salt/sugar balance.
Chill very well. Stir and check flavor again before serving in bowls, cups or tall glasses with garnish on the side.
This is a full-on summer vegetables recipe -- winter hothouse tomatoes just won't cut it.

2000 calories in one liter? That seems like a lot. I found some bottled/packaged gazapachos online, and they seem to have anywhere from 240 to 300 calories in a half liter.
Yes around 500 average calories in a litre of Gazpacho. There is not even 2000 calories in a litre of Sangria!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
when you are carrying your possessions on your back and walking 20+ kilometers per day, this calorie business is totally irrelevant. This is righteous food.
Since I'm at home now, and not burning through the calories like I do on the Camino I'm going to go a little easy on the olive oil. 😉

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I made some gazpacho yesterday following @Rebekah Scott's recipe. Really yummy! I had to use supermarket tomatoes, which weren't that great, so I used tomato juice instead off water.

Nice one! How long did it take?
You don't want to know! 😄
Cleanup took almost as long as making it, because I ended up using all kinds of blenders, bowls, and food choppers. My blender is seriously underpowered and too small, so I had to transfer everything to a big bowl and use my immersion blender. But that wasn't too effective for pureeing the diced pepper, onion, cucumber, etc., so I used my small food processer in batches, then transferred to the bowl with the immersion blender, then I put part of the mixture at a time in the blender...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Cleanup took almost as long as making it, because I ended up using all kinds of blenders, bowls, and food choppers. My blender is seriously underpowered and too small, so I had to transfer everything to a big bowl and use my immersion blender. But that wasn't too effective for pureeing the diced pepper, onion, cucumber, etc., so I used my small food processer in batches, then transferred to the bowl with the immersion blender, then I put part of the mixture at a time in the blender...
Ah ok. Thank you. Well I am a novice and won’t have access to a blender so maybe the supermarket version will have to do!!

Last edited:
Holy moley! That's devotion!
I wore out our first food processor making gazpacho over several summers, and thus justified a Black Friday Sale purchase of a splendid Ninja-brand food processor/blender. It's a wonder, and makes the smoothest, quickest gazpacho ever. And white gazpacho -- Ajo Blanco -- is also a revelation! Almonds, grapes, vinegar, and olive oil... absolutely gorgeous!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have the bestest, most killer gazpacho recipe ever, we pretty much live on the stuff all through the summer here on the Meseta. Let me know if you want the Secret Formula...
Hah, challenge accepted! I believe *I* have the best recipe…but it will always taste better in Spain, so you win…

€149,-
(PS I had to go look up my family recipe. And, it’s basically Penelope Casas’ recipe. Except my Sevillana mother claims that onions and peppers do not belong because they interfere with the essence of the tomato. She’ll allow cucumbers, if the weather is hot enough. I sprinkle a scant teaspoon of sugar into it, plus a pinch of cumin. Sherry vinegar is absolutely required, reserva preferred. And a Ninja blender makes it all worthwhile. I actually learned how to make this with a mortar and pestle, in my abuelita’s apartment in barrio San Pablo, back in the day…)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On my post-camino visit to Barcelona, I had a stroke of genius and ordered a glass of gazpacho along with a "Bikini de queso con jamon," which is basically a grilled cheese sandwich. I kicked myself for not thinking of this combo before. So good!PXL_20230703_084618044.jpg

when you are carrying your possessions on your back and walking 20+ kilometers per day, this calorie business is totally irrelevant. This is righteous food.
Righteous,great description.Heard about gazpacho,never tried it😞,but certainly will now that I know what's in it.Leave tonight for Ingles and on to Finisterre. Cant wait to get to the supermarket.😋😋
Joe

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Holy moley! That's devotion!
I wore out our first food processor making gazpacho over several summers, and thus justified a Black Friday Sale purchase of a splendid Ninja-brand food processor/blender. It's a wonder, and makes the smoothest, quickest gazpacho ever. And white gazpacho -- Ajo Blanco -- is also a revelation! Almonds, grapes, vinegar, and olive oil... absolutely gorgeous!
Do folks add anything to Gazpacho. Just had some and added Lea Perrins Worcestershire Sauce as I would with tomato juice and/or Bloody Mary. Tabasco being the other option.

Do folks add anything to Gazpacho. Just had some and added Lea Perrins Worcestershire Sauce as I would with tomato juice and/or Bloody Mary. Tabasco being the other option.
I have seen gazpacho recipes that call for Worcestershire sauce. I thought that the vinegar added a nice tang, so didn't think that it needed Worcestershire. Hot peppers could be substituted for milder peppers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Adding hot sauce or Worcestershire to gazpacho? No. You are confused. This is soup. It is not a Bloody Mary!
Well if you google it a lot of folks do add WS to Gazpacho! I am drinking one right now with WS added and I really like it. Possibly a UK adaptation. I only drink the supermarket stuff from Spar, Mercsdona, Dia and /or Consum!

I think Gazpacho is quite versatile…you can add a whole host of things!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If it's got a whole host of weird stuff added into it, it is not gazpacho any more.
-- El Mago de la cocina
The first officers' mess where I was a member used to have decanters set out on the table at lunchtime. Sherry infused with chillis. Not for drinking - for adding to your soup if it was a bit too bland for your taste. That might have brightened up a dull gazpacho quite nicely! :)

If it's got a whole host of weird stuff added into it, it is not gazpacho any more
That reminds me of how my friend makes tortilla - she adds several vegetables and feta cheese and bakes it in the oven. So it's no longer a tortilla, but a frittata.😉

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.