• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting Cash on the Camino

endlesstrail

Dual Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
May / June 2012
Nakahechi Apr 2023
Iseji Apr 2024
Hi All,

I'm guessing this question might have come up a couple of times before, but I can't find a topic which covers mainly this.

Right now, I'm assuming that most of the towns the Camino passes would have at least an ATM machine somewhere (or at least the bigger ones at a minimum). Is my assumption fair?

I'm considering between purchasing a pre-paid visa card for my trip, or using my existing cards for purchases and cash withdrawals.

Has anyone used any of the methods before?

Pre-paid visa cards - I'm assuming the ATMs accept them without any issues?

Credit cards - Any one have any idea what's the extra fees they had to pay per withdrawal? After realising that by using my normal bank card for cash withdrawal I'll be incurring a lower exchange rate, commission charges and ATM fees, I'm thinking the pre-paid visa card might work out better for me in the long run.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Bien Camino

Kenny

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Kenny.

This did come up somewhere on the forum before, and there were different interpretations of ATM availability. Certainly any significant town or city will have plenty of them. You can also reasonably expect to pass at least one most days. However you can't expect to find one if you arrive in a small village for the night, so personally I always have a few Euros in reserve somewhere just in case plans alter.

There are 2 main ATM networks I can think of in Spain - Servired and Telebanco - and these are the logos you need to look out for rather than that of the actual bank or caja. (So a branch of, say, Banco Santander will also have the logo of its ATM network on a sign outside.) I think the networks' websites also have a map with locations of ATMs.

I have a pre-paid credit card (Mastercard) as a reserve in case something went wrong with my normal bank card (Visa). No problems yet though, and every machine I've come across takes both Visa and Mastercard. There's no issue about the card being pre-paid. I think I'm charged about 2 Euros per ATM transaction on the pre-paid so I use it carefully, but it's free if used in restaurants etc. I don't know where you live, but I'm in the UK and if I go to the travel agent to top it up I need photo ID to do so from my debit card. However if I turn up with hundreds of pounds in used banknotes it's no problem. I don't understand why!

Buen Camino!

Personally, I took all my cash in one of those sealable plastic bags, kept in in my rucksack or my zipped pocket, no problem, never went to bank or ATM, took £'s aswell, :D :D Got money in big notes, so was not huge wod of notes. Worked for me. Of course I didn't wave it about.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Kenny,
ATM's charge 2% up to a maximum of £5, at least they do on my British debit (Visa) card. That is the only charge, obviously if you use a credit card you will be charged by the credit card company.
The only occasion I have not been able to get money out of an ATM was in Monte de Gozo, don't know if that was the machine or my card but it was a bit worrying!
As Tyrrek says there are ATMs around in any town, though not in small villages.
Sue

If you are from the US, Charles Schwab online bank charges NO ATM fees, and reimburses you monthly for any fees you are charged by other banks.

They also charge NO exchange fees.

If you are from the UK a Euro loaded Mastercard works well. Check the type, but ours charges a flat rate of €2 per transaction and you can run an internet check on free ATMs. BBVA, Santander, and Caixa de Galicia all seem to be free. We loaded enough extra to pay charges, including any machine ones. Free to use as debit card and can cash in after Camino. Also ours could be checked on-line with good secure log-in. Came from Thomsons travel agents. Load using cash not a credit or debit card to avoid your own banks exchange fees!!
Visa cards seem to have a withdrawal charge when Mastercard do not.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
endlesstrail said:
I'm assuming that most of the towns the Camino passes would have at least an ATM machine somewhere (or at least the bigger ones at a minimum). Is my assumption fair? [...]
Pre-paid visa cards - I'm assuming the ATMs accept them without any issues?
Assumptions confirmed :!:

I have only had problems on two occasion.

1. Buttons on ATM are sometimes "upside down" from what my auto fingers press. Once, it caused me 3 days of not being able to get funds. Idiot me.

2. Ascension Thursday might be a concern for those traveling soon. This year 17 May. Most businesses are closed or close early including banks.

On one other note, be sure to notify your bank where you'll be traveling and when. This will help in not causing alarm (hold of funds) when your card is being utilized out of country.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I am able to get the Australian pre-paid visa cards for only AU$11 and load it up with Euros and the ATM fee is only EU2.20 .

I've decided to go with the pre-paid visa card and my credit card as a backup. I'll be doing a bit of sight seeing post camino walk, so I'll be needing extra funds for some R&R. I don't quite like the idea of bringing wads of cash around, and having to constantly play hide and seek. :lol:

Buen Camino

Kenny

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
love the idea of an emergency pre paid card...
Always let your bank know your travel arrangements ...so transactions are not flagged
You could start with enough euros to get to pamplona....(7 x 30 =210....plus 100 in case)....then top up another 300 to get you to bougos....then 500 to get to leon...then a final top up to get you to Sde C. this way transaction charges are kept to a minimum...and cash is king on the camino(try buying breakfast at 8 am with an Amex)

never keep more than 50 euros in your pockets....keep the rest in a waterproof bag preferably always with you. Take the time to get used to the currency...offer coins where you can...this will save you carrying pockets full of small change(weight and jangling noise)

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back