• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting Fit

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
We all get the message about walking to get fit in anticipation of our Camino right?
We get the stories designed to scare us, like, "It's not that bad really. Just consider it like doing a half marathon every day."
What!!!!!!!
If I needed motivation to get off my fat backside, that worked.
But what about the strengthening of muscles other than those of our legs. I never did any.
I've found this website that details exercises for hikers.
I think I'll just try section 3 (of a 3 part series) to accompany my walking training.
The gear required looks minimal.
http://www.hiking-tips-for-you.com/backpacking-training.html
Anybody got any other tips? Don't ask me to lie down on the floor. I just won't do that!

Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Gerard,
Thanks for the link. My brother in law recently mentioned pretty much the same thing. He said we should work on strengthening our core; that would help our balance when carrying our pack. I don't think I've run across any posts discussing this type of training on the forum so your post certainly came at a good time. It confirms to me the need to add this to our training plan. I'm glad to see the exercises are simple.
Again, thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
A Diaz

We all get the message about walking to get fit in anticipation of our Camino right?
We get the stories designed to scare us, like, "It's not that bad really. Just consider it like doing a half marathon every day."
What!!!!!!!
If I needed motivation to get of my fat backside that worked.
But what about the strengthening of muscles other than those of our legs. I never did any.
I've found this website that details exercises for hikers.
I think I'll just try section 3 (of a 3 part series) to accompany my walking training.
The gear required looks minimal.
http://www.hiking-tips-for-you.com/backpacking-training.html
Anybody got any other tips? Don't ask me to lie down on the floor. I just won't do that!

Regds
Gerard
Thanks so much for the exercise info. As I ramp up for my May/June camino this will really help keep me focused.

Also hope you are feeling well as you heal ; )
Stefania

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So yeah, I definitely thought I could pull through on youth and a generally active lifestyle and dear God did I suffer. I would recommend finding a treadmill, cranking that baby up to full incline and working on being able to maintain about 3 miles per hour for at least two hours. You really just need to get your feet used to walking for a long time, everyday.
Feet and knees specifically were what gave most pilgrims I knew problems so work on getting those strong (and find some good stretches, you'll see a lot of pilgrims with "Camino legs" as in not being able to straighten up properly after sitting for awhile because they just walked for eight hours and did nothing to work out their muscles after. I personally spent three months in physically therapy after the camino for not taking good care of my knees)
I lifted and ran a little before, but you really need to prepare for just the intensity of walking all day, every day. I sneaks up on you

The nicest thing you can do for you knees is to get the weight off. I don't mean the backpack but your overall weight. Any extra weight your body is carrying hammers your knees and feet for that matter . Each step is much harder .

I'm all in favour of lifting. It's good for you in various ways . BUT if you've never done it before find somebody to show you how. To watch and make sure you're doing it right. Don't let you ego take over. Just look at the link in the first post. They suggest upright dumbbell rows. General consensuses is upright rows will sooner or later damage your shoulder. Bent over rows are considered safe.

BUT you're just walking. If you want to train for a long walk start with short walks. Every week add a little distance and weight.

The nicest thing you can do for you knees is to get the weight off.
I did that. Not that I was seriously overweight. I dropped 4kilos and was proud of myself. Trouble was, at the end of the Camino I'd dropped another 4 Kilos. I had been wondering why I lost energy. I thought I'd been eating plenty, even more than I needed to to account for the extra exercise. I'll know better next time.
Regds
Gerard

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
you'll see a lot of pilgrims with "Camino legs" as in not being able to straighten up properly after sitting for awhile because they just walked for eight hours and did nothing to work out their muscles after.
That happened to me a few times. Couldn't get up off the ground once. So I should stretch before relaxing after finishing a section?
Regds
Gerard

Trouble was, at the end of the Camino I'd dropped another 4 Kilos. I had been wondering why I lost energy. I thought I'd been eating plenty, even more than I needed to to account for the extra exercise. I'll know better next time.
Regds
Gerard

You aren't the only one. My last two trips that involved quite a bit of walking I came home with my pants falling off. In both cases I ate like a hoover -)

All this could be made worse by not sleeping right.

I didn't train at all last year - mostly because I'm lazy. I ended up with really bad knees. So this year I'm doing core exercises and knee exercises to try to build up strength in those areas - plus I'm going out walking *every* weekend. I wasn't overweight when I started at StJPdP but maybe a little curvy... and I ate everything and anything that I fancied on my way. I used a calorie calculator and I was burning over 2000 extra calories a day! Some days I had to force myself to eat another bloody bocadillo because I was so sick of them - but I knew I needed the calories. And still... my trousers, which had been tight when I started, were falling off when I finished. But you know what? I had *GAINED* weight on the camino. I guess I just added a lot of muscle. That's a good thing, right? :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The toughest part of the Camino and most difficult to prepare for, imo, is the downhill walking. I am not sure how you can prepare for that unless you live in a steep hilly area.

My preparation is to walk at least 10,000 steps a day with one long walk of 10 miles at least per week. In the Winter months, I use the treadmill and keep it at 7 degrees and 3.5 miles per hour. Working on your core, shoulders, back and a stretching routine are also important. I also make sure I cut back my toe nails. If you bruise them on the downhills it can make for a very painful walk.

My first walk, I did not prepare and was very stiff the first few days, each evening and morning, until my body reached Camino conditioning.

That said, all the training you can do never totally prepares you for walking a Half Marathon a day while carrying a pack on your back. It is not a normal activity for your body. However, If you start slow and ease your body into Camino shape almost anyone can walk the Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

My training for the camino contained one big mistake I think.
I was 65 year old, retired, I was not a walker but was fit enough to enjoy "normal" life, I walked over 1400km in the year before I walked the Camino Frances from SJPP to SdC in August-September 2013.
I can describe my mistake this way:
: I was too concerned about ramping up training distances to quickly. Within 2-3 week I was walking 12-16 km sessions 3 times per week. Walking these distances caused leg and feet pain.
: within the 1st month of training I bought walking poles and began using them aggressively like a Nordic skier would, I noticed my pace increased but not comfort doing these distances. I believed that the poles contributed 25% to the effort required.
: with the help of hindsight, this benefit does not reduce the effort on all leg muscles equally. Calf muscles work harder, quads, glutes, hamstrings work less I think. In effect, my legs were being trained un-evenly with the aggressive use of poles.
: a physiotherapist I met along the Camino told me that poles can easily cause your stride to elongate more than without poles. This tightens the calves, pulling on the achilles and all the muscles and tendons in the feet.
"What is the solution"I asked?
"Stretching at day's end!"
"How much", I asked?
"15 to 20 min per leg per day" she said
"YIKES! That will ruin my Camino experience" I protested.
"Any alternatives" I inquired hopefully?
"Yes, stop using the poles for propulsion, just use them for stability" she replied.
This all took place in Mansilla de las Mulas, 450 km into my Camino and my feet were a mess. It wasn't the boots that were going out of shape, it was my feet.
From there, I stowed the poles, began stretching my legs at every stop for a minute or so and within 3 days things were better, not perfect, just better.
Now home, I have had weekly massages to get the knots, tightness and lesions out of my legs and feet. The therapist has told me that I had these before I left, probably even before training started.
So what advice might I offer.
- build walking distances slowly. If you are not sure if you will ever be able to walk 25km in a day, your answer will take some time. Be patient.
- walk a little every day. 5-8km to build leg strength and throw in a longer walk every one in a while. Ramp up as leaving date approaches
- limit use of poles
- stretch and do something to build core strength.
- train with a gradually heavier pack closer to leaving
- visit a qualified massage therapist a month or so before starting your Camino. Get an evaluation. Have a massage. Relax! Ah!
- 30km a week over 6 days is better than 30km a week over 2 days. The Camino experience is an everyday experience.

These ideas are only mine. Yours will no doubt be different. That's a Camino thing too.

This year I am going back to Spain to walk and will be testing my training ideas. More later!

Regards from CANADA

JOHN

Our training method has been, and continues to be, walking regularly with at least a light weight pack. Walks vary between 7 and 10kms with hills as we are fortunate with the terrain. A brief walk is 5kms. Once a week we try to walk over 12kms with full packs, up to about 16kms with some steep hills included. This has enabled us to walk average 15km days with the occasional 20+kms when needed on the Camino. Being 65 and 70 we prefer to walk slower and arrive eventually, although we do have return tickets, not open ended, so need a rough idea of when we need to reach Santiago.

If the current weather continues here in the UK we will be walking up and down stairs instead of hills. Last week we had to walk where the road was passable, but at least we are doing some walking in spite of everything.

Good luck with your training John in Canada, your weather sounds bad at the moment too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My personal opinion re training for the Camino is similar to WineShoppe Guy's. The best training to prepare to walk with a pack is to walk with a pack-----over all kinds of terrain.

Walking everyday in my opinion is better conditioning than walking a couple of days a week. Gradually increasing the weight in the pack, gradually builds the muscles needed to comfortably and safely carry the pack. Building core strength is always good, but I personally wouldn't begin a new exercise routine other than walking, in preparation for the trip.

I also experienced the propulsion effect when I first began using my poles. Fortunately I forced myself to slow down before damaging feet or legs. I slowed down only because I didn't want to run out of energy as I didn't know about the potential threat to leg muscles and tendons. My poles were invaluable for balance and for uphill/downhill assist.

I am not a medical professional, nor have I spoken to one. I am just a 67 year old moderately fit woman who walked in September/October 2013 and suffered no ill effects. I returned the same weight that I left but my clothes were looser, so something changed.

Buen Camino!

Our training method has been, and continues to be, walking regularly with at least a light weight pack.
That's what we (wife 63, me 66) did. Built up to 5.5k every morning before work with packs, longer walks on the weekends. Built up to our Camino pack weight. I also lost about my pack's weight in body weight over the year before we went. We were fine on the Camino (except for blisters - get boots that allow for the swelling your feet will experience with that kind of walking). SJPdP to Santiago in 35 days, 33 walking and one day off in each of Burgos and Leon to visit the Cathedrals. Next time we'll do some more hills, but we found our regimen was all we needed.

Karl

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
....I forgot to me mention....if it colder than -20C, I am at home, with the fire burning hot, a cafe con leche in hand (something else than takes a little practise) reading about the Camino (like right now).

John: It is slightly warmer here, down south from you but still too cold for me to drag my sorry, now seriously overweight, post-holiday season butt outside. However, my residence has a rather well-equipped gym with machines. I do mean to start training on a cross trainer...seriously, I do. We have two cross-trainer machines. However one of them closely emulates the motion of walking with poles. The other (a different brand) more closely emulates cross-country skiing. Does that make any sense? I tried both for a few minutes last week, and the one machine felt "normal" to me. There are also stationary cycles, treadmills and various weight-lifting apparatus.

However, so far, my biggest effort is to put on some decent clothing and JUST DO IT! It is that time of year... (sigh)... Being retired, I rather like sitting around in front of the fireplace, drinking coffee, in my pajamas and robe, and reading a good book.:eek:

Last year, I avoided the exercise equipment and waited until the weather abated slightly by mid-February. I started walking outside without a pack. but with a butt-pack containing water bottles and my hiking poles. Over rolling terrain - I live in "horse country," I walked from 8 - 16 Km daily. Only in the final three weeks before departing for France in April, did I start training with a loaded rucksack. I used bags of kitty litter to simulate the final weight. I have to carry protein supplements for my dietary needs so I train with about 13 Kg in the rucksack. Overall, that seemed to work for my 59-year old, largely sedentary self.;)

The need to carry special food supplements notwithstanding, I will certainly pack lighter this year. In fact, I have been continually reading, researching , weighing, comparing, and whittling down my planned packing list for 2014.

It continues to be a work in progress. My hope is that I will eventually get to a static pack load that I can rely on for all future Caminos. I did my first last year, am re-doing it this year, and hope to do one-per-year into the future, health and finances permitting.

We will see what develops.

Stay warm and well. Happy New Year to all!

A couple of posts mention the effect on the knees of walking downhill. We were advised to
a) walk slowly, don't be tempted to speed up
b) bend the knees slightly, it takes stress off the knees and the hips too. Also makes it easier to walk slowly and not speed up.

b) bend the knees slightly, it takes stress off the knees and the hips too. Also makes it easier to walk slowly and not speed up.

ABSOLUTELY!

I have a different gait, was never athletic and somewhat short on motor skills. I have always been a "bent-leg" walker and have always had good tolerance over long distances. The Frances did not hurt me much. (I was 58 when I did the Camino.)

I gave "walking lessons" to folks of all ages at several places during the course of the Frances. The emphasis was on keeping the knees bent - uphill, downhill, on the flat. Almost everyone reported a huge increase in well-being and absence of knee and hip pain.

My wife says it looks a bit strange but found the style, a bit exaggerated for learning purposes, in a book called "Chi Walking" Author is Danny Dryer - or close to that. I've looked it over and think he's onto something. Just never would have occurred to me that my gait was unusual until the Camino.

Give it a try, I believe your joints will thank you.

B

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Regds
Gerard
Hi Gerard,
A simpler exercise that works amazingly well for strengthening the core is to forget about the weights and just use the ball. IF you don't mind sitting on the floor that is:) A low bench might work too although I think the back is more vulnerable that way. Sit with your feet straight out in front of you and then apart a bit. Put a hand on either side of that pink ball (blue would also work) and slowly tip back a bit and hold for 30 seconds or longer if you can. Then a bit farther and hold. Keep doing that but don't tip over backwards. It's all about the h-o-l-d. Then hold the ball to one side a bit and same thing and then the other side. Keep doing these reps, lengthening the hold and the core strengthens up quickly. Obviously take the usual precautions - hold your stomach towards your back, don't arch your back, don't strain or hurt yourself. You can't afford an injury of any kind at this point so take it easy. It's harder than it sounds to hold in that position.
I found using my poles helped a lot in strengthening my arms and core but have to admit that my back doesn't give me problems when I walk on the camino. My days are shorter - anywhere between 20 and 25km if possible.

the above tips are great for doing long distance walking and if your wanting to tick a box
if your wanting something more slow down get that pack weight down wear some comfy shoes,carry back up (sandals) throw away the go faster stripes and relax,share a glass with your fellow Pilgrims put all thoughts of daily half marathons out of your mind and deal with that one day that hour that moment.the one Camino slogan I dislike is "no pain no gain" one I truly like is "start like an old man and you will finish like a young one"
buen camino
Ian

Hi all! I really like all of the suggestions for training. I have used most of them in different combinations for my 3 caminos. Two other sugesstions I would make for strengthening and protecting your leg tendons and knees. I read a report that Europeans, as they age, have greater balance and agility than Americans because of the simple reason that they walk on cobblestone pavements much more than we do. Uneven walking surfaces strengthen and increase flexibility of the tendons. So, I always train on uneven surfaces. Walk on the grass next to the sidewalk, dirt trails, roads etc. ..this will simulate conditions on the camino. Secondly, as has been discussed in other rather controversial threads, ;-) the camino is made up of roads designed for cars not for walking. So, on the hills you encounter, the roads go straight up or down them. Hiking trails are designed as switch backs on hills. I walk these camino hills by zig zagging from side to side to save my tendons and knees. .looks weird (drunken?) But I have never had knee or tendon problems!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Some posts have already mentioned "core" work. I can't underestimate the value of building up this area of your body. Your arms and legs are pendulums in the motion process and achieving good posture and a comfortable rhythm is the key to productive and enjoyable walking (or running). I read and re-read a book called Chi Running before the Camino and adapted the running and breathing techniques in it to my walking "philosophy". Try it out - all it will cost you is the price of the book!!

Tinker, I've recently taken a couple of Chi Walking workshops. I was wondering about its use on the Camino...as, here at home, I've recently sprained my knee due to my walking stick (from Samos Monastery) adding extra velocity to my downhill Chi Walking...in other words, I overdid it. In essence, I was engaged in something akin to one stick Nordic Walking. I'm trying to reconcile the Chi Walking techniques with my need for stick/poles (I've always been prone to tripping/falling and saved more than a few times by stick/poles).

And you can likely find Chi Walking/Running books at your library, as I did...and lots of info online.

Like the threads on "carrying hiking poles onto airplanes", these threads on getting in shape for the camino are always timely, so I'll throw out maybe a slightly different perspective -- which I've done on multiple occasions, try here for instance: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/how-much-did-you-really-train-for-the-camino.19777/

I think the real problem with many of us English speaking pilgrims is that we are in such bad physical shape that getting into good shape with our sedentary lifestyles becomes a real issue. Even if we're not overweight, we are just so inactive that it's unrealistic to think we can ramp it up for a month long walk of 20 miles a day. I really don't think wellness can be compartmentalized from the rest of your life, which is the way we approach it when we want to "get in shape for the Camino." I also think that a high level of regular daily physical activity is really all that you need to be in shape for the Camino. The Europeans I have met on the Camino rarely do any pre-camino training. I've told this anecdote a million times -- I asked some guy on my first camino, "How did you train for the camino," and he looked at me with a rather dumbfounded look on his face and asked me "How do you train to walk?"

I think it's hard to overestimate the toll that years and years of being sedentary and in cars has taken on our physical health. I'll go out on a limb here and say that if you are healthy and active and in good physical shape (and by this I mean not sculpted body parts but good cardiovascular and muscular systems), you don't need to train for a Camino. You just need to start slow, build up gradually, and listen to your body as you get acclimated to day after day of repeating the same routine. The one thing that I don't think you can protect yourself from, no matter how healthy and how strong, is injury that comes from repetitive stress -- be it on the foot, the knee, etc. That requires attention, too, but training isn't going to help you prevent that. Good footwear, hiking poles, ice, low pack weight, etc. is what you need.

I fear that I always sound preachy when I talk about this, and I am NOT a doctor or medical person, so I can't back any of this up with any hard facts or real science, but I think it is such a pity that people "get into shape" for a Camino, then come home again and promptly let their bodies fall back into its pre-Camino condition. There are tremendous lifelong benefits to being healthy, let's get moving as Michelle Obama would say! sorry to ramble, buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Currently on the Camino and have been wearing calf compression socks which I might have missed reading about in the forum, but have made a HUGE difference in my camino. No tired legs, no sore calves, and stretching is effortless :)

Like the threads on "carrying hiking poles onto airplanes", these threads on getting in shape for the camino are always timely, so I'll throw out maybe a slightly different perspective -- which I've done on multiple occasions, try here for instance: http://www.mundicamino.com/rutas.cfm?id=54

I think the real problem with many of us English speaking pilgrims is that we are in such bad physical shape that getting into good shape with our sedentary lifestyles becomes a real issue. Even if we're not overweight, we are just so inactive that it's unrealistic to think we can ramp it up for a month long walk of 20 miles a day. I really don't think wellness can be compartmentalized from the rest of your life, which is the way we approach it when we want to "get in shape for the Camino." I also think that a high level of regular daily physical activity is really all that you need to be in shape for the Camino. The Europeans I have met on the Camino rarely do any pre-camino training. I've told this anecdote a million times -- I asked some guy on my first camino, "How did you train for the camino," and he looked at me with a rather dumbfounded look on his face and asked me "How do you train to walk?"

I think it's hard to overestimate the toll that years and years of being sedentary and in cars has taken on our physical health. I'll go out on a limb here and say that if you are healthy and active and in good physical shape (and by this I mean not sculpted body parts but good cardiovascular and muscular systems), you don't need to train for a Camino. You just need to start slow, build up gradually, and listen to your body as you get acclimated to day after day of repeating the same routine. The one thing that I don't think you can protect yourself from, no matter how healthy and how strong, is injury that comes from repetitive stress -- be it on the foot, the knee, etc. That requires attention, too, but training isn't going to help you prevent that. Good footwear, hiking poles, ice, low pack weight, etc. is what you need.

I fear that I always sound preachy when I talk about this, and I am NOT a doctor or medical person, so I can't back any of this up with any hard facts or real science, but I think it is such a pity that people "get into shape" for a Camino, then come home again and promptly let their bodies http://www.mundicamino.com/rutas.cfm?id=54 back into its pre-Camino condition. There are tremendous lifelong benefits to being healthy, let's get moving as Michelle Obama would say! sorry to ramble, buen camino, Laurie
Laurie ,thanks for that link to Mundicamino!

Great post. Thanks for your thoughts on possible reasons for injury coming from repetitive stress .
My gut feeling has been that the combination of the 'more' of a number of things, adds up and exceeds our 'body blueprint' on our individual tolerance. (Now that is even less scientific!).

So as you say,

The right footwear and fit, sock combination.
poles for stability to help prevent twists and slips,
Keeping pack light and fitted correctly, so it's worn as part of you, rather than hanging off the shoulders,
Weather at time of the camino. Effect of heat, on the whole body, and coming up through the feet.
Don't push further in a day to 'keep up with others' or walk faster than your body can handle.
Taking regular rests, boots off, cool the feet (with a dip in water if there is any). Ps. I haven't walked in cold weather !!
Hydration, regular .
Decent sleep,
Elevate feet and massage them when possible ( this was necessary for me ) ,
Look into support bandage for knee before you leave home,if you think you may need it, so you find the right one,
Look at your normal daily regime before camino. Lose some of that excess and move more.

I'm 'trying' to follow this and hoping I can come back from next camino with a happier body (legs).

Annie

Last edited:
Currently on the Camino and have been wearing calf compression socks which I might have missed reading about in the forum, but have made a HUGE difference in my camino. No tired legs, no sore calves, and stretching is effortless :)
Hi Olivia Luna, well done!
And yes, I forgot about the stretching!
It does make a difference, but it has to be a habit doesn't it. I don't always remember.

Are your compression socks any particular brand/type? Can you upload a pic ?

Thankyou and Buen camino
Annie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yoga is great for leg and back strength. Holding a warrior pose or down dog really tests the legs. The stretching from yoga also helps a lot to prevent injury. I will continue with some yoga poses after walking each day. I am currently doing yoga 3 times a week and walking 12+km 3 times a week as straining. Sometimes I walk 5km to yoga class and 5km back again.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.