• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting in late

SureFtWayEli

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2014, April 2017
Is there still a rule among albergues that if a peregrino without reservation arrives late & beds are full, but doesn’t feel he/she can walk further, host will put a mat on the floor out of the way for he/she to rest the night? Or are reservations required before you begin Camino now?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks! So reservations are a plus, a must, if you don’t want to really push it to beat the crowd every day.
Yes and no. There have been a number of reports from hospitaleros in donativo and other albergues that don't take reservations stating that they are rarely fully occupied. Such as this post:
One other point, demographics change and this may lead to a higher proportion of pilgrims who prefer to have their accommodation pre-booked.

In other words, there may be less bookable accommodation available even when the actual number of pilgrims is more or less the same.

This would account for what I saw at first hand last year: reports of accommodation not to be had for love nor money when the albergue I was working in varied from 25 to 66% capacity the whole time I was there

I put this down to so many pilgrims making reservations, and not even trying to stay at non-reservable albergues. As you are walking you will be able to tell if you are in a large wave of pilgrims who are taking all the non-reservable beds or not.

Yes and no. There have been a number of reports from hospitaleros in donativo and other albergues that don't take reservations stating that they are rarely fully occupied. Such as this post:

I put this down to so many pilgrims making reservations, and not even trying to stay at non-reservable albergues. As you are walking you will be able to tell if you are in a large wave of pilgrims who are taking all the non-reservable beds or not.
Great! That is good to know & less stressful in preparing! Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is there still a rule among albergues that if a peregrino without reservation arrives late & beds are full, but doesn’t feel he/she can walk further, host will put a mat on the floor out of the way for he/she to rest the night? Or are reservations required before you begin Camino now?
Neither. Public and parochial albergues, in general, don´t take reservations (although a few do, but a small minority). If they are full, they generally turn people away. This is because Spain has quite tight laws and regulations governing overnight accommodation: each establishment is licensed to accommodate a certain number of people and they can lose their licence if they go over that number. But most hospitaleros will do what they can to help by ringing round hotels, private albergues etc, contacting someone in the village or asking someone in the community to open up an overflow e.g. the local sports centre. In extreme circumstances, and if they feel they have a duty of care, they might let someone sleep on the floor, but this is very unusual.

But as a number of posts have reported, outside of SJPdP to Pamplona in the high season, the albergues are rarely if ever full these days.

I’m starting my Camino in SJPP mid Sept. I have my first night booked in Orisson and nothing beyond that. I’m noticing hostels booked in the next few towns and I’m getting nervous. Should I be nervous? I’m trying to understand if I should be concerned or there will likely be something available? I would prefer to book as I go and not book more than a night or two out. Because I don’t know how long I will be walking that first week. Thgts or suggestions from anyone who is walking or just walked like this year?

I’m starting my Camino in SJPP mid Sept. I have my first night booked in Orisson and nothing beyond that. I’m noticing hostels booked in the next few towns and I’m getting nervous. Should I be nervous? I’m trying to understand if I should be concerned or there will likely be something available? I would prefer to book as I go and not book more than a night or two out. Because I don’t know how long I will be walking that first week. Thgts or suggestions from anyone who is walking or just walked like this year?
September is very busy, with the first two weeks being the busiest. But there will still be a lot of pilgrims starting from SJPdP mid September. I would book Roncesvalles and Zubiri too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Book zubiri for sure - it’s a bottleneck and even in non-busy months can get overloaded with pilgrims (especially when the municipal is closed as it’s been recently). Since you are walking from Osisson, Roncesvalles will likely have room for you when you arrive but since you definitely plan to stop there, prebooking relieves that worry.

Book zubiri for sure - it’s a bottleneck and even in non-busy months can get overloaded with pilgrims (especially when the municipal is closed as it’s been recently). Since you are walking from Osisson, Roncesvalles will likely have room for you when you arrive but since you definitely plan to stop there, prebooking relieves that worry.

100%

Another option is to stay at 'mid points'.
My wife and I like a slow start, so after Roncesvalles we have stayed at Bizkarreta.
It means next day we can skip Zubiri and stay at Larrasoana or a bit further. But I would still book.
September will be busy on that section to Pamplona.
There are always options.
The day 'stages' in the guidebooks, are ........just a guide.
A convenient distance to fit on a page......

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
100%

Another option is to stay at 'mid points'.
My wife and I like a slow start, so after Roncesvalles we have stayed at Bizkarreta.
It means next day we can skip Zubiri and stay at Larrasoana or a bit further. But I would still book.
September will be busy on that section to Pamplona.
There are always options.
The day 'stages' in the guidebooks, are ........just a guide.
A convenient distance to fit on a page......

Much better idea, adn more fun in the little towns

As some have said, no it’s not a rule, however…

Way back in 2013, Yeah, the good ol days 😁 my first Camino, I too walked in September from SJPdP. I was so green and thankful for it. Back then not much reserving ahead was done, at least I didn't know it was a thing. I didn't have a cell phone so it never occurred to me, I stayed in municipal albergues and just a few private ones.

SJPdP was full, the volunteers at the pilgrims office did their magic and managed to get all of us that arrived on the late train a bed. Mine was in the attic of an Albergue (see photo) with two twin beds, I shared the space with an Irishman. A great way to start a Camino. 😎

The next day Zubiri was full except for the one bed (my bed) at the first Albergue you come to on the right after you cross the bridge, I was exhausted and thankful for it. Surely one of the benefits of walking solo. A lot of pilgrims walked on or took a taxi to Larrasoaña. I felt bad for them. So, the bed race was on. You will find your rhythm. I quickly learned that leaving early, most times in the dark, suited me. I also learned how to be a ninja on stealth mode while doing so. Yes, I was quite as a mouse. I was so grateful to have gotten a bed every place I stopped, sometimes the last bed, again in Hornillos. I did see mats put down in a few places I believe it was Los Arcos in the gym they laid down mats, and Carrion de los Condes comes to mind. I recall a lot of people in the stairwell. It was crowded then and it is crowded now. In the summer 2019 I did book ahead only after Sarria, it was crazy crowded (see phone), but it was summertime with a lot of locals walking.

Things are changing on the Camino, rapidly. Do what feels natural for you. You’re going to have an amazing time, let go and keep walking.

I’m hoping and praying for another Camino Frances. But, I’ll definitely try to go when less crowded or is there even such a time anymore? 😊

I’m so excited for you, Buen Camino and God Bless! 🥰

The Attic.
Attick%20SJPdP.jpeg
The Sarria crowd
IMG_4654.jpeg

But, I’ll definitely try to go when less crowded or is there even such a time anymore? 😊
I walked my most recent Camino Frances in January this year. For most of the journey there were 12 - 15 people on each stage though after Ponferrada I sometimes had a day where I met only two or three others. It was like stepping back a couple of decades.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked my most recent Camino Frances in January this year. For most of the journey there were 12 - 15 people on each stage though after Ponferrada I sometimes had a day where I met only two or three others. It was like stepping back a couple of decades.
Nice, very nice. I'd like to go late, late fall. I'd hate to have to carry more gear for snow, etc...

Nice, very nice. I'd like to go late, late fall. I'd hate to have to carry too much more gear for snow, etc...
Weather in the higher sections like the Pyrenees, Cruz de Ferro or O Cebreiro is unpredictable. There could be snow in late autumn too. Walking in winter does mean a heavier pack with warmer clothes and sleeping bag. There is no luggage service before Sarria. With longer stages and fewer open bars or albergues it is a more physical challenge to walk a winter Camino. But I found that well worthwhile.

Weather in the higher sections like the Pyrenees, Cruz de Ferro or O Cebreiro is unpredictable. There could be snow in late autumn too. Walking in winter does mean a heavier pack with warmer clothes and sleeping bag. There is no luggage service before Sarria. With longer stages and fewer open bars or albergues it is a more physical challenge to walk a winter Camino. But I found that well worthwhile.
I believe, I too would find it worthwhile :) God Willing, of course.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back