• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting my Compostela home undamaged

Jeepl8d

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2023)
I’m days away from Santiago and looking for information on how to get my Compostela home undamaged. Are they issued with an envelope or is there a place nearby to buy a mailing tube or other that I can bring on an airplane?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
think about keeping your credencial in good condition and safe as well or you may regret that

The cheap trick, taught to me by a camino companion who was a former engineer, is to get a large water bottle, cut the top off, and dry it thoroughly. Put your Compostela inside and stuff the inner with clothing. One free Compostela transportation device!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can buy a Compostela sized tube at the same time that you pay for your distance certificate. By the way, the new system is very quick to get your Compostela and distance certificate. The line to pay for the distance certificate was very slow. They really need more than the one kiosk that was operating when we were there June 16, 2023.

I’m days away from Santiago and looking for information on how to get my Compostela home undamaged. Are they issued with an envelope or is there a place nearby to buy a mailing tube or other that I can bring on an airplane?
HI.
You can buy a tube at the office were you get your Compostela and to keep it safe take on the plane with your hand luggage.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Whoa - they had a price increase. It was €2,00 last summer. Oh well. It is still worth it to protect your certificates, that you worked so hard to receive.
The tube can easily hold both your Compostela and your distance certificate. Checked my backpack flying back home June 5th 2023 and it did not make it to Montreal 😬. Received the pack five days later with the tube and well-packed shell all intact. 😅

I went to a shop where they sell books and/or office supplies. Bought a plastic folder that tucks nicely into the pocket against my back in my backpack. So I didn't have to roll or fold it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Whoa - they had a price increase. It was €2,00 last summer. Oh well. It is still worth it to protect your certificates, that you worked so hard to receive.

Interesting. When I walked 9 years ago I was given one. Didn’t even ask. Perhaps. because I looked so scruffy and wet and smelt vile. Early morning slosh in through rain and modtly pre-dawn dark from Lavacolla.

De Colores

Bogong

I’m sure the small gift shop opposite to the Pilgrims Office sells them for €2.

If you decide to opt for the cardboard tube, you can wrap it in an T-shirt/towel, to give it a bit more protection in your pack! Last year I took some bubble wrap, which is also useful for packing any fragile gifts!

You could also just use a poly pocket, as suggested, I used one of these when I collected my first Muxiana/Finisterrana certificate!
I sandwiched the certificates between two pieces of card inside a poly pocket, then kept it in the back of my packs bladder compartment!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
think about keeping your credencial in good condition and safe as well or you may regret that
Agree, I kept both of mine in those plastic zip lock bags. They now hang on the wall of my study along with the two compostellas.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was sure to make it come home safely too, and bought a cardboard box at the Correros office that would fit the Compostela in tube and would then fill it up with the enticing nicknacks and the extra shell for the wall that would be too good to NOT buy and fill this into the box.
Tape it up properly and send it home...
Make sure to find the listing prize and weight for the postage home

Interesting. When I walked 9 years ago I was given one. Didn’t even ask. Perhaps. because I looked so scruffy and wet and smelt vile. Early morning slosh in through rain and modtly pre-dawn dark from Lavacolla.

De Colores

Bogong
What Month did you go?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.