• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting ready for my first camino

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances in spring (2018)
Hello from Halifax Nova Scotia! I have finally booked my flight to Paris and will be arriving in SJPP the evening of April 7, 2019, if all goes as planned, to begin the Camino Frances probably April 9. I intend to take the high-speed train from Paris to Bayonne, then train to SJPP.
Working on my inner Camino now, trying to not overthink/worry/get overwhelmed. I'm lucky to have encouragement and advice from friends in Halifax who have already been, but I'll listen to all the advice I can get! Especially would like to hear from anyone who was troubled with feelings of worry or guilt about leaving family or other obligations behind.
Very grateful for this forum.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The only overthinking that I'd suggest that you do would be to overestimate how many days you think you'll need, so that if you need rest days or detours or any other sorts of delays or overtime, your time in Europe will be sufficient for all of it ...

Otherwise, well, buen Camino peregrina !!!

I have no particular advice...apart from saying that it will all come together once you are on the Camino.

Buen Camino, peregrina!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello from Halifax Nova Scotia! I have finally booked my flight to Paris and will be arriving in SJPP the evening of April 7, 2019, if all goes as planned, to begin the Camino Frances probably April 9. I intend to take the high-speed train from Paris to Bayonne, then train to SJPP.
Working on my inner Camino now, trying to not overthink/worry/get overwhelmed. I'm lucky to have encouragement and advice from friends in Halifax who have already been, but I'll listen to all the advice I can get! Especially would like to hear from anyone who was troubled with feelings of worry or guilt about leaving family or other obligations behind.
The very fact that you are having these thoughts means that you are right on track to begin! Buen Camino and have a wonderful journey

I started at very much the same time of year a couple of years ago. I recommend that you consider booking into Orisson and have a gentle start to your Camino. Make sure that you have an overnight in SJPdP and have that accommodation booked too.
Download the resource of recommended albergues and research them online so that you know which ones you would prefer to stay in at any given location. You are unlikely to walk the route again and for that reason you want to enjoy the best places to stop within your budget.
I would also suggest that you dont over prepare. A couple of weeks before you set off get out on a walk every day with your back pack on and just walk for a few hours.
Read a few books on the Camino, there are a few recommendations on here so that you are aware of what you are letting yourself in for. One girl I talked to was unaware that she would be chucked out of albergues at 8am!
It is just a very long but very nice walk. You will enjoy it.
Oh yes, nearly forgot, keep your eyes out for the yellow arrows.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My husband and I have both given up jobs to do it and after a change of direction . I'm currently in jaoa n working for 3 months away from whole family to pay for it . No guilt . This is what i have to do amd we ll both reap the rewards post caminonin our fresh positove pitlook, deeper spiritual understanding and contentedness and ability to Inspire others on return !

My husband and I have both given up jobs to do it and after a change of direction . I'm currently in japan working for 3 months away from whole family to pay for it . No guilt . This is what i have to do amd we ll both reap the rewards post caminonin our fresh positove pitlook, deeper spiritual understanding and contentedness and ability to Inspire others on return !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
General advice:
* light backpack (something like "10 percent or less of body weight")
* well-fitting shoes (feet swell normally during walking; large (and wide) enough shoes; I bought shoes which were too narrow first.... in spite of the fact that I had read this many times before )
* training walks at home -> test backpack and shoes
* plan enough time for the whole camino; start not too fast; walk at your pace...
* And for the planning-phase: Calm down! https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/calm-down.56386/

I felt sometimes guilty as well about leaving my family... you can find other threads like this one:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/guilt.57911/

I think there are different times for different things... there is often the time to live with my family... and then I want to try to really live with them (and this is not too easy with the work and the other things to do)... and sometimes there is a time for being somewhere else... and then it does not help anybody if I feel very guilty.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I started on 5 April 2018. I remember how excited I was. Totally understand your excite ness (is this a word?) I concur with all the above statements and would add one that is so trite but worth telling you anyway. Bring safety pins! They really help in hanging clothes and they are much easier to carry than regular clothes line pins. Silly, I know, but what a life saver it was for me! Buen Camino Ultreya Et Suseia

Hi, I too am planning to start my first Camino on approx 7 April 2019. I have 3 grown children of 19 - 21, a husband, a dog and a one eyed cat I am leaving behind to spend 6 weeks with me!
I have found this an incredibly hard decision to make. But the first time I vocalised my intentions out loud, it suddenly became a reality and rolling stone I could not put back at the top of the hill.
Fortunately all my family have been 100% supportive.
However it is a struggle between feeling exilerated and excitement of the upcoming trip and worry/guilt of taking this time for myself.
Not many answers sorry - but I hope you relate
BeccaLee

Hi, I too am planning to start my first Camino on approx 7 April 2019. I have 3 grown children of 19 - 21, a husband, a dog and a one eyed cat I am leaving behind to spend 6 weeks with me!
I have found this an incredibly hard decision to make. But the first time I vocalised my intentions out loud, it suddenly became a reality and rolling stone I could not put back at the top of the hill.
Fortunately all my family have been 100% supportive.
However it is a struggle between feeling exilerated and excitement of the upcoming trip and worry/guilt of taking this time for myself.
Not many answers sorry - but I hope you relate
BeccaLee
Hi I to was like you before my first Camino but I soon found what I got from the Camino far out weighed any felling of guilt about leaving my wife and family behind to walk with new friends drink wine eat torte and sit in the Spanish sun in the evening. It is tough but some one has to do it. You will be alright God bless. and enjoy.;););).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the CF same time in 2018. You sound like me. It sounds though that you've given it a lot of thought about this is the right thing to do. For me, once I committed to walking the Camino, everything fell into place. Your friends and family will get almost as excited for you as you are getting for yourself. Then you're off! They say you are called to walk the Camino and I believe it. Please try to squash the guilt as you will quickly learn when you start that it's a walk of a life time with so many friends and sights and wonderful Spanish people who will just about do anything for a peregrino. You'll get bit by the bug as the rest of us are. I'm walking the Le Puy this Spring. I wish you well and buen camino.

Hi Marie I have traveled by train twice now the train from Montparness station ticket for both trains on line for about fifty euros. My daughter and I are about one day ahead of you we are staying in Paris for a day the getting the early train about 8.30 am I think.
Re the guilt think of it this way you are going to bring back such a new person to your family and friends that it is an investment in them and your self.
You should charge them for this,:).

Outstanding! Stuff I would tell you...

Dont feel guilty. You will be better for it and the people in your life will admire you for the fact you did it.
Prepare, but dont plan out all of the spontaneity. Be informed but take it as it comes. The surprises are part of the Camino.
Start slowly and listen to your body. Dont push to a schedule at first. After you have been doing it for a week you will know your comfortable range for a day and can plan accordingly.
If you can get into Orrison on the first night do so. It is a shorter day, and you will make friends with about 40 people over a good dinner and conversation. Those familiar faces will be encouraging the first several days.

Buen Camino!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
would like to hear from anyone who was troubled with feelings of worry

I was exteremly nervous and worried for about two weeks before I set off.

For me that all fell away during the morning of the first day walking when I realised my four years or training and planning was left behind as I realised I was more than coping. And I had many wonderful encounters and adventures over two months and 1,600 km from Le Puy to Compstella.

@MarieElaine , kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Hello from Halifax Nova Scotia!
Hello I'm glad to see another Haligonian on the Camino! I'm starting on April 7th so I may see you on the trail. I'm glad the ice is going as it's been difficult training on the icy trails around Halifax. Good luck on your adventure!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks to everyone for the encouraging replies. People I've met here at home have been very kind also, lending me things for my pilgrimage, and I got a great send-off at my retirement party, a big bag of useful items for the backpack. Getting excited.

a big bag of useful items for the backpack

@MarieElaine , hi (again) from way down south. And I have read all your posts.

In them you say nothing about your preparation for 40-42 days of getting up, walking, breakfast stop, walking, lunch stop, (walking,) arrive, find a bed, wash your smalls, look around the village (town or city), go to sleep, repeat. And of course, stops during the day to inspect this or admire that.

I appreciate you may already have the stuff below well in hand and my scribblings below may seem like those from a well meaning uncle, but not relevant. So please read me kindly. My wish is that you are sufficiently prepared that you will figuratively fly up from Saint-Jean on your first day, leaving everyone in your dust.

The two things that most helped me prepare were:

1) work at keeping my back pack and all that was in it (bag, clothes, water, technology etc) hovering around the mythical 7 kg. I was told that Spain is a civilised country with a good range of shops in the cities, and pharmacies even in villages. See @SYates on this, and other, topics. It was the owner of a hostel in France (when I had been underway two weeks) who taught me to weigh my pack by getting on the scales twice - first time with wearing the pack (fully laden) and my walking stuff - second time just me wearing my walking stuff. The difference between the two measures was the weight of the pack - simple.

About the clothes: I learnt very quickly (for a male of the species) from my training walks to have quick drying clothes. It took me a lot longer to understand layering. Again from @SYates , I worked at having as much as possible of my stuff serving two functions. So my rain coat is also my wind-breaker and is my outer layer. And from my tramping days (long ago in my youth) to go to sleep wearing what I would walk in the next day and cut the early morning routine at home to less than a shadow when on camino.

2) work at getting my body and mind fit for the day after day routine. I had a particular issue when I began my preparations - I was about 20 kg over "normal" (=BMI) weight. But also getting my feet used to walking. And getting walking (actually running) shoes that fitted my feet with room to spare. I only wish @davebugg was writing notes on this when I started my preparations seven years ago this month.

With that in mind I suggest considering working up to:
a) completing, say, 15 km before stopping for breakfast. and
b) achieving an ascent of, say, 600 m before stopping for breakfast.
The latter will be hard for most, me included. On the other hand the ascent out of Saint-Jean is twice that. I think the trick is to find a way of walking where the feet move at the same speed regardless of the slope, just that as the slope increases so the step shortens to the point where one foot goes down on the exhale and the other goes down on the inhale. You will find your own style and way of doing these things.

I also suggest, if possible, completing one or two multi day trips before you head off to shake things down.

From a niece who lives in eastern Ontario, I know winters (and snow in particular) can be interesting in much of Canada. I suspect Halifax at 44 north and by the ocean (I am 41 south and also by an ocean) may moderate that experience.

@MarieElaine , I wish you well and hope, come mid-May, to hear of your arrival in Compostela

Finally I say, kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

My adult Daughter and myself I am 70 ,are leaving st jean,, on the 9th also. I had done it twice before. You will be ok. If you see two new Zealand flags then that's us. God bless.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Marie I and my adult daughter arrive at St jean, on the 8th in the afternoon then walk on the 9th. We will have the silver fern flags as we are from New Zealand. If you see us say hello and we will look for you. Good luck God bless.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back