• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting the train from Bayonne

vicky mc

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France's
I am starting my Camino next week. Flying to Biarritz in wed and staying overnight in Bayonne I will have to get the train from Bayonne to SJPDP. I want to know is there plenty of trains going to SJ. And is it (stupid question) easy enough to get the ticket. I've never been in a train since I was a child and I know things change Any advice will be most welcome. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am starting my Camino next week. Flying to Biarritz in wed and staying overnight in Bayonne I will have to get the train from Bayonne to SJPDP. I want to know is there plenty of trains going to SJ. And is it (stupid question) easy enough to get the ticket. I've never been in a train since I was a child and I know things change Any advice will be most welcome. :)

There are generally four trains a day from Bayonne to SJPdP. The station is small and the staff are helpful and used to tourists as well as pilgrims. You can buy your TER line 62 ticket to SJPfP either from a machine or a live clerk. No need to book ahead since the seats are not reserved.

The current trains Bayonne to SJPdP are at 07:45, 11:10, 14:55, and 18:06. Journey time is roughly 1 hour.

Bon voyage and Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello
Just to let you know you can get a local bus from just outside Biarritz airport terminal straight to Bayonne for 1 euro.
Also it's worth popping into the railway station at Bayonne when you arrive to make sure the trains are running to schedule as there have been a number of strikes over the past few months which have led to cancellations.
But don't worry because even if there is a strike there are replacement buses to St Jean.
The journey down to SJPDP is lovely.
Safe travels and Buen Camino! :)

Hi
I have just checked with the cab service to SJPDP as I fly into Biarritz at 1705 hours (as concerned that I would not get to SJPDP by 2000 hours by bus and train). The cab service quoted 84€ (for a solo traveller ) which is exorbitant but gets cheaper when more people share the journey. So I have bought another palne ticket to fly into Biarritz the day before at noon (much cheaper than 84€ and will stay another night at SJPDP to enjoy this little Pyrenees village which has been praised much enough on this forum!

Buen Camino Vicky!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi
I have just checked with the cab service to SJPDP as I fly into Biarritz at 1705 hours (as concerned that I would not get to SJPDP by 2000 hours by bus and train). The cab service quoted 84€ (for a solo traveller ) which is exorbitant but gets cheaper when more people share the journey. So I have bought another palne ticket to fly into Biarritz the day before at noon (much cheaper than 84€ and will stay another night at SJPDP to enjoy this little Pyrenees village which has been praised much enough on this forum!

Buen Camino Vicky!
Hi there I get to Biarritz on Wednesday at 19.15 hours going to stay overnight in Bayonne then I will hopefully get a train on the Thursday and I'm planning to stay overnight in SJPDP and then get an early start on the Friday :). That's the plan anyway. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back