• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Going thru customs when there's a layover outside of Spain

MirtaC

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi All!

Walking the Camino in June with my sister. Thinking of flying from LAX to S CQ via Frankfurt. Do I need to go to Customs twice - Frankfurt and SC Q or just once?

Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi All!

Walking the Camino in June with my sister. Thinking of flying from LAX to S CQ via Frankfurt. Do I need to go to Customs twice - Frankfurt and SC Q or just once?

Thanks!
There has been some discussion recently about where you will do the customs check, Frankfurt or Santiago. It would pay to check with your airline whether you are doing that at FRA and transferring to an internal flight, or you remain on an international flight, and on the transit in FRA, you don't need to collect your baggage and then have to clear customs at SCQ.

I have seen both patterns at Schengen zone airports, but haven't been through Frankfurt. Those who have are optimistic that flights from the US are treated as international flights through to their final destination.

That said, as @henrythedog suggests, you will only have to clear customs once, at least in Europe. There are different arrangements in the US, where transit passengers need to collect and clear their baggage, and then re-check it for the next leg(s) of their flight.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There has been some discussion recently about where you will do the customs check, Frankfurt or Santiago. It would pay to check with your airline whether you are doing that at FRA and transferring to an internal flight, or you remain on an international flight, and on the transit in FRA, you don't need to collect your baggage and then have to clear customs at SCQ.

I have seen both patterns at Schengen zone airports, but haven't been through Frankfurt. Those who have are optimistic that flights from the US are treated as international flights through to their final destination.

That said, as @henrythedog suggests, you will only have to clear customs once, at least in Europe. There are different arrangements in the US, where transit passengers need to collect and clear their baggage, and then re-check it for the next leg(s) of their flight.
As Doug rightly confirms, you’ll clear customs once and once only : but where that will be, I’m not sure, but my money’s on Frankfurt.

Schengen is akin to a country for customs purposes and I’m not certain how immigration or customs could handle a plane load of passengers and luggage with mixed status if you just transited in Frankfurt, were joined by co-passengers who were already in the zone and then and cleared customs and immigration at SQC

On all of our flights to Europe where we landed in places other than Spain or Portugal, we cleared immigration and customs at our first point of debarcation (i.e., Paris, Brussels, etc.) before connecting to our next flight. There were no other immigration checks after that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Agree the two can be confused, but you will get your passport stamped when you enter the EU. Going through Frankfurt or Iceland, we went through a line and had our passports stamped and Phil even got tagged for "special treatment" and they pulled him into a room in Iceland to ask him questions. We picked up our checked bag in Paris or Madrid on various trips and then went through customs. They looked at our passports again as well as looked in our bags.

Thank you everyone for your responses! Another alternative I was contemplating is to get a flight with a layover in Madrid instead. My concern is that on my return trip to LAX, I have 2 hours to get my exit stamp at Terminal 4 in Barajas before catching my connecting flight. Would 2 hours be enough time?

Thanks again!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you everyone for your responses! Another alternative I was contemplating is to get a flight with a layover in Madrid instead. My concern is that on my return trip to LAX, I have 2 hours to get my exit stamp at Terminal 4 in Barajas before catching my connecting flight. Would 2 hours be enough time?

Thanks again!
I have had transits of less than an hour and been able to complete the departure procedures. It might depend a bit on the number of passengers, but I cannot see it being a problem if you have that long.

Thanks again!
Where will you fly to? Will you have to change terminals or is it on the same airline on one ticket.

Given the whole trip is on one ticket and the destination is within the EU you will pass Customs at your final destination. Usually there are two exits. One is marked „Goods to declare“ the other „nothing to declare“. You decide which one to go. But when you decide to go „the other one“ don’t be surprised when they pick you out 😲.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back