• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gonna leave for Spain Sept 1 2021

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If it's ready by then! Have more time than ever before so looking forward to a nice long walk on a path yet to be determined.
Hey! I land in Lisbon and then am taking a train to Porto on Sept 2 to start the Coastal route plus Variante Espiritual. Where are you landing?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am discussing with my daughter continuing on the Mozárabe from Granada to Córdoba starting on 31 August - IF we do not get locked up again by then (UK and France). Maybe we will manage just before. Although twice vaccinated and optimistic by nature, I am ready to write it off again. With last year’s plans we can leave the decision to the last minute.....

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Damien, my wife and I will be two weeks behind you, landing in Madrid on Sept 14. One night there, then train to Pamplona, one night there then bus to St Jean - one night there. We begin our 4th camino frances Friday, Sept 17th. Bob

If it's ready by then! Have more time than ever before so looking forward to a nice long walk on a path yet to be determined.
If you want suggestions there are sooooo many of us who have walked a variety of Caminos. I have walked 5 different ones and compared to some I am a novice. So if you have questions please feel free to ask. I have no idea what the Covid situation will be or how many pilgrims will be out there but the landscapes don't change and you can get a general idea of weather along different Caminos. Almost all will still be hot but some will be MUCH hotter than others. There can also be help to you regarding finding out about albergues that have survived and the unfortunate ones that have not. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you want suggestions there are sooooo many of us who have walked a variety of Caminos.
Questions: Do I really need Trekking Poles - what are they good for?

or how about…

what type of shoes? Boots or runners?
Wink wink…

I will be monitoring reports from other peregrinos hopefully before I go. Which route I take wii depend on how capable / ready they are to handle visitors.

Last edited:
I've bought tickets for September 10th. I´ll start my camino at Roncesvalles this time...
I've decided that I'll go even if I'll need to do quarantine. I do need to go to the camino this year !!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If all goes well, will head to Pamplona the 1st week of Sept. No tickets purchased yet. That can wait as only need to come from Germany and not sure if I want to do trains to Bayonne, then bus to Pamplona or fly to Madrid and then bus.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here ya go.

"I am sending out this message to everyone that has been logged on to the forum starting just before the pandemic until today.

It has been a complicated time, and I am sure some of you have changed your plans, and the Camino might not be on the top of your list anymore. To all of you, I wish you the best... take care and stay healthy.

But for the rest of you, the ones still planning to walk as soon as you can, please know that the Camino Forum is here to help you plan. Even on the slowest days during the pandemic, we have had over 1000 pilgrims logging on sharing their thoughts.

We still have cases of COVID in Spain, but with the current vaccination rates we should get to 70% of the population some time in August. It is rumoured that we might start allowing vaccinated pilgrims traveling from the USA and Canada in to the EU some time in June.

In short, if you are planning to walk as soon as possible, it might be time to start planning the walk again now.

You will find the forum here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/

Your username is: ....
If you are not sure of your password, you can have it reset here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/lost-password/

If you need a guidebook, I can send you one if you order one here:
https://www.santiagodecompostela.me/collections/2020-camino-guidebooks

I have also started doing some things on YouTube here (once a week) that can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSBZuZGO6t-h4pqnfxsR5xA

All in all, we are getting closer to getting back to normal. Hope things are good where you are. Stay safe!

All the best from Santiago,
Ivar"

or how about…

Wink wink…

I will be monitoring reports from other peregrinos hopefully before I go. Which route I take wii depend on how capable / ready they are to handle visitors.

My advice is... no need for trekkkng poles... and wear runners not boots. It’s not the Himalayas... it’s a relaxing walk through Spanish countryside, villages and cities.

My advice is... no need for trekkkng poles... and wear runners not boots.
I'm sorry... my response was meant as a joke (hence the wink wink). Sometimes I'm not that funny.

I seriously disagree on the trekking pole thing (but that is a topic for another post). Totally agree on the runners. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't work so well on this forum but I can't help myself when I get stoked that I'm heading back...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'll be arriving in Madrid on September 3rd and will either walk from Ponferrada, where I ended my last Camino from Madrid in 2019, or start in Barcelona. Sure am looking forward to walking on the Camino again.

or how about…

Wink wink…

Trekking poles or war what are they good for then absolutely nothing
unless of course you have old decrepit knees and hips so you can zig zag downhills on your way to Nirvana! ;)
P.S. Norte no boots. come to think of it no way no boots.

Trekking poles or war what are they good for then absolutely nothing
unless of course you have old decrepit knees and hips so you can zig zag downhills on your way to Nirvana! ;)
P.S. Norte no boots. come to think of it no way no boots.
Oooh I like the 1970 popular music reference!

Still tho, it's not the age. It's the miles! And besides burning 30% more calories, getting an upper body workout, and being able to traverse small ponds in the middle of rain soaked trail or get balanced when walking on logs (not common but does happen)... yes I like it because it helps save my knees and hips. (Trekking poles)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I mainly use one pole up and down hills, but bring two...I loan it to my son who has walked half the AT, the John Muir in California, and Colorado trails, when we are navigating wet, muddy areas...he thinks he is invincible and brings none on the "easy" Caminos.😅

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Damien, my wife and I will be two weeks behind you, landing in Madrid on Sept 14. One night there, then train to Pamplona, one night there then bus to St Jean - one night there. We begin our 4th camino frances Friday, Sept 17th. Bob
Probably see you at the Cafe Iruna on the 20th then. Connie and I are arriving in Pamplona from San Sebastian, and starting out westward the next morning.

I've bought tickets for September 10th. I´ll start my camino at Roncesvalles this time...
I've decided that I'll go even if I'll need to do quarantine. I do need to go to the camino this year !!!!
I'm looking to start on the 9th in Roncesvalles! I walked in '18 and started in SJPdP, but this time I've decided to start in Roncesvalles.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I mainly use one pole up and down hills, but bring two...I loan it to my son who has walked half the AT, the John Muir in California, and Colorado trails, when we are navigating wet, muddy areas...he thinks he is invincible and brings none on the "easy" Caminos.😅
Ah the wayward logic of youth!!!

Ok, seriously, the trekking pole and shoe things were questions that I've seen on this forum like 1000 times and I was making a joke. Just proudly returning Sept 1.
You want to know what is not a joke if you walk the Norte? What is Nirvana? Heaven??? Waft is more spiritual and a complete in and out of body experience? A greater high than any revelation or meditation on your Camino? What will make you a true pilgrim?
When you arrive in San Sebastián and before you do ANYTHING else go directly without passing Go to;
Gelateria Boulevard.
The best ice cream on the planet!!!!!!🍨🍨

I have airfare to leave the US on Sept 1, 2021 (refundable fare!). To Madrid > Pamplona> SJPP (with some rest/layover days). Start walking Sept 5. Of course... there is the big "IF" :)

I have airfare to leave the US on Sept 1, 2021 (refundable fare!). To Madrid > Pamplona> SJPP (with some rest/layover days). Start walking Sept 5. Of course... there is the big "IF" :)
From Madrid, can I ask what kind of transportation you've booked...planes, overland, etc, to get to SJPP?

I've got my fingers crossed for SJPP sometime in August. I shed a few tears today reading the email Ivar sent out encouraging us to begin planning again.

Buen Camino!
Wow Alexandra. Thanks for sharing. You were not the only one shading tears today. I thought i was getting too emotional about my next camino now I see I am not alone. Buen Camino.

or how about…

Wink wink…

Damien, I have been reliably told that all the young guides in the Alps use Trekking poles. Why? Because they have seen what continuous trekking up and downhill has done to their father's and grandfather's knees. I call them my best Camino friends.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I see a lot of planning for September. Whats wrong with August????? I know.....I am getting too impatient!!!
All my caminos have been in APRIL-MAY. Since I am planning on a August or September Camino this time I would appreciate your help with information about your experience walking the Frances and the Norte during August or September? I love both. Still not sure which one I will do this time. Thanks

I see a lot of planning for September. Whats wrong with August????? I know.....I am getting too impatient!!!
All my caminos have been in APRIL-MAY. Since I am planning on a August or September Camino this time I would appreciate your help with information about your experience walking the Frances and the Norte during August or September? I love both. Still not sure which one I will do this time. Thanks
So apparently August is the traditional month of vacations in Spain. That means more people out there. I don't know if its really true but I've decided let them have their country for a month, before I come over. Only time I walked in August was on the Norte, because its marine, and has better weather then..

I walked the Camino Frances for one week in August 2018 and for 2 weeks in August 2019... August has become my favourite time to walk... beautiful warm weather... and very few pilgrims so plenty of accommodation... unlike September when it’s crazy busy with most people rushing for beds. Can’t wait to be in SJPdP on August 17th this year to walk for 5 weeks.

I walked the Camino Frances for one week in August 2018 and for 2 weeks in August 2019... August has become my favourite time to walk... beautiful warm weather... and very few pilgrims so plenty of accommodation... unlike September when it’s crazy busy with most people rushing for beds. Can’t wait to be in SJPdP on August 17th this year to walk for 5 weeks.

The Norte will be very busy in August with lots of Spanish holidaying there... plus accommodation will be very expensive and hard to find.

I asked this morning about hot weather packing since I’m used to March-April caminos. If you wanna chase it down we can share info?
Also, as others mentioned the Norte is prime vacation territory and I wouldn’t do it in August for that reason alone. Pilgrims are not the focus that time of year and it might be uncomfortable in restaurants in pilgrim wear and hard to find a bed.

Also, I kind of want the $$ I spend this year to directly support the Frances. These small Camino towns don’t get the additional vacation income that the beach towns on the Norte receive. I’m hyper aware that being vaccinated early is a privilege and being able to travel when so many have lost their income is also a privilege. I need the break so badly (mom of 7), and I hope that the by being on the Frances after such a year of financial devastation, maybe it will help just a little to get things back up and running. 🤷🏼‍♀️

That said, the Norte is totally on my list for next time. In my normal shoulder season window! 😆

So I'm thinking Norte from either San Sebastien or Irun very early Sept. Then switch over to Primitivo at Oviedo intersection. Anyone want to warn me against this or encourage?

Done both in past. Not worried about asphalt or ups and downs. More worried about weather and infrastructure.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Damien,
I have posted this elsewhere, but I loved starting from San Sabastian as the train goes directly there from Madrid airport, otherwise another change of train or a bus is needed to get to Irun.
I also loved turning onto the Primitivo and having the variety of two types of scenery all on the "same" route...it seemed the best of both!

I see a lot of planning for September. Whats wrong with August?????

So apparently August is the traditional month of vacations in Spain. That means more people out there.

Nothing is wrong with August, and it can be a great time to start the Camino Francés from SJPDP. The bulk of the pilgrim traffic in the summer is on the last 150 km or so. From St Jean until about O Cebreiro, it is less busy than it is in September. I never had any problem at all finding a bed during my late August - September Camino in 2016. In fact the albergues in Melide were practically empty! But I have heard of people who start in September running into huge bottlenecks in the early stage towns like Roncesvalles, Zubiri and Larrasoaña. So avoid the crowds and start in August.

However I can imagine that on the North Coast from Irun it's probably quite busy with Europeans on holiday.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Nothing is wrong with August, and it can be a great time to start the Camino Francés from SJPDP. The bulk of the pilgrim traffic in the summer is on the last 150 km or so. From St Jean until about O Cebreiro, it is less busy than it is in September. I never had any problem at all finding a bed during my late August - September Camino in 2016. In fact the albergues in Melide were practically empty! But I have heard of people who start in September running into huge bottlenecks in the early stage towns like Roncesvalles, Zubiri and Larrasoaña. So avoid the crowds and start in August.

However I can imagine that on the North Coast from Irun it's probably quite busy with Europeans on holiday.

This is awesome. I never would have guessed that it might be a bit more quiet in August. I loved my quiet end of March camino. <3

To add on to my August vs September from SJPDP post - I remember posts here on the forum during the first week or so in September where it was reported that 400 pilgrims a day were leaving SJPDP - much more than the occupancy of the albergue and hotels in Roncesvalles.

Here's a couple of graphs that show the number of pilgrims leaving St Jean by month and week. Note the huge spike in week 36, which corresponds to the first week of September (sorry, I don't know what year that data is from)

Répartition-par-mois-Bureau-de-Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port-2018.png

Screenshot_20190315-232013_Firefox.jpg

From Madrid, can I ask what kind of transportation you've booked...planes, overland, etc, to get to SJPP?
I have an Iberia flight to PNA (Pamplona). I'm staying the night in Pamplona.. then I have not yet decided my transport from Pamplona to SJPP. Frankly, I'm thinking of asking the hotel what they consider to be the most efficient. Last time, I flew into Paris, then a flight to Biarritz, then a van to SJPP.

I have an Iberia flight to PNA (Pamplona). I'm staying the night in Pamplona.. then I have not yet decided my transport from Pamplona to SJPP. Frankly, I'm thinking of asking the hotel what they consider to be the most efficient. Last time, I flew into Paris, then a flight to Biarritz, then a van to SJPP.
Yeah I still dunno what I'm going to do in terms of transportation. It may end up being a question of where the cheapest flights are at the time.

or how about…

Wink wink…

I don't take poles with me mainly because they are not allowed as carry-on. There was one time I would have liked to have had them when nearing the Pyrenees after days and days of rain just before Easter one year. The road that had what used to be an occasional trickle of water running across it, now was flooded with a river about 12 feet wide and moving fairly quickly. It was not possible to wade through. But where the former stream went between 2 fields, my side the field was cornered by a wire fence that now was about halfway through the new-made river. If I could inch along the lower wire, it looked like I could jump close enough to the far bank to reach safety. I knew it would help me balance if I had a walking stick to jam into the riverbed as I inched across, using the other hand to hold onto the upper wire. Then, as always happens, the Camino provided. Leaning up against the wire fence was a tree branch just the right length. I made it across without problem and used that blessed stick for some days afterward.
As to footwear, I prefer hiking shoes to boots. My treat to myself is to take 4 or 5 pairs of thick socks because that is pure luxury!
Buen camino.

So apparently August is the traditional month of vacations in Spain. That means more people out there. I don't know if its really true but I've decided let them have their country for a month, before I come over. Only time I walked in August was on the Norte, because its marine, and has better weather then..
Thanks for the reply Damien. I think they have had it for themselves for too long. In fact I think they are missing us!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back