• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good plan?

koshka14

Hello, I've never travelled alone before and I'm just a bit anxious about my plan! Can any experienced pilgrims tell me if this is a good plan? I can't walk it all at once due to time and money constraints so I'm hoping to just do the first stretch this year and then hopefully complete it in the future. I haven't booked flights yet but this is my rough plan for getting to and from the Camino:
Flight- Gatwick to Biarritz, arriving at 9:30am.
Train Biarritz--> SJPP changing at Bayonne, arrive around 15:00.
Stay overnight somewhere in SJPP (should I prebook?) and then leave in the morning.
After 5 days walking hopefully get to Estella?
Stay overnight in Estella then bus to Pamplona. Change onto a bus from Pamplona--> Bilbao
Flight from Bilbao to Stansted 13:40 or 21:55 (not sure if its feasible to get to Bilbao for the earlier one-I'm finding the Spanish bus websites very hard to understand!)
Also from what I've read its easier/cheaper to get from Estella--> Bilbao than Estella--> Biarritz, is that true?
I'm a bit nervous!
Suzy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola Suzy - when are you thinking of doing this? If you give the forum's travel experts a date or range of dates they will work it out I'm sure. Depending on when you intend to arrive will also determine whether it is best to book in St Jean. You can reach Estella comfortably in 5 days in my view.
From what I can see there is a regular bus service from Estella to Pamplona and from Pamplona to Bibao: for the latter there is a bus at 10am arriving in Bilbao at 11.15am http://www.autobuseslaunion.com/pdf/bilbao-pamplona.pdf

Best wishes

John

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Suzy!

That looks very reasonable to me. Five days to Estella may involve doing the full SJPP-Roncesvalles stage on Day 1, but if you wanted to break that stage you could just end in Puente la Reina instead or try to make up time elsewhere.

If you do make it as far as Estella and have the energy walk the additional hour or so to the Fountain of Wine at Irache, give a toast to St James and pledge to return! Then walk back to Estella. That would be a great ending! :D

You don't say what time of year you're travelling, but I think if you're arriving mid-afternoon in SJPP rather than on the last train you should be fine. Even on the last train you'd probably be fine.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Suzy
Stansted to Biarritz by Ryanair is cheaper (book in advance) the air port is half way between Biarritz and Bayonne so bus to Bayonne rail station ( bus stop just to the left outside exit) by the time you reach SJPP you will have already met a few people.lots of time to get a bed for the night,the Pilgrim office will help.
yes you can make it to Estrella.
Ryanair fly Santander to Stansted but not from Bilbao bus to Santander airport from Bilbao bus station
another option is walk to Estrella but don't stay the night there if there are afternoon buses to Bilbao via Pamplona.that way you have lots of time in Bilbao before your flight (great city)
I did something similar in April but caught a bus from Logrono-, can be reached from Estrella plus you get a pre-view of the way forward for when you return. :D
Buen Camino
Ian

Thanks so much for your replies. I didn't realise that Ryanair went to Biarritz too-thats good news!
The Fountain of Wine idea sounds great, I'll defo do that if I have the time.
I'll be arriving in the second half of August and I'm hopefully booking flights this week once I make my mind up whether to go in the last week of August or the previous week. It looks like flights are cheaper midweek so I'll probably start on a tuesday or wednesday. I think I just need to be brave, stop worrying and go ahead and book!
Thank you for the link to the bus timetable too, I never would have found that!
Suzy

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back