• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good tips for choosing the camino route?

Minotzka

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk my first Camino on Aug-Sept (2018). Still considering which route to take.
Hi!

I am planning to walk my first camino starting on 15th of Aug 2018. I am able to stay 2 months, and a bit confused which route to take (especially after reading some information). I am 46 year old solo walker, and good shape of walking. I would prefer: not too much crowds (so probably Camino Frances is no-no...), not too much bigger roads with cars / yes: mountains, yes: nature :). I am fine with solitude and long distances...

Which route would you recommend and why? Thanks a lot of your answers :) .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You did not say about being able to walk in the sun and heat as the summer in Spain can be hot and dry requiring a lot of water to carry.
Judging from your post I would recommend starting from Irun, walk along Del Norte, and when you get to near Oviedo, take Primitivo route.
Since you will have plenty time walk to Muxia and Fisterre (4-5 additional days after you arrive in Santiago).
With the time left you can go to Coruna or Vigo in Galicia. Or Madrid, Toledo, Barcelona, etc.

If you still want to walk more, Camino Ingles takes only 4-6 days.

Hi Minotzka. I walked the Via de la Plata & Sanabrés (Sevilla to Santiago) in May / June last year and loved it. My only concern walking in August and September would be the summer heat in Central Spain. But it can't hurt to check out the VdlP & Sanabrés. Perhaps this is the one for you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would NEVER walk the Via de la Plata in August - suicide in my opinion.
Many of the fountains listed in the guidebooks are bone dry and the heat is dangerous.
You'd have to carry a LOT more water and water is heavy.

Perhaps the Northern route or the route from Lourdes?
I think we saw a total of 10 pilgrims on the route from Lourdes and it's beautiful - though we walked in Spring, not August.

I've been thinking about this question too. The first and last sections of the Camino Frances are very crowded for the summer months. I walked it for the third time in 2016 and probably will not do so again. But the central part is not quite so bad. The alternative idea in my mind would be to walk from Somport on the Camino Aragonese - which joins the Camino Frances at Puente la Reina. Then walk the Frances to Ponferrada. Then follow the Camino de Invierno to Santiago rather than passing through the madness of the Sarria to Santiago final stretch of the Frances. I would expect to take about a month to do that but I usually average about 30km per day. Most people would prefer to take it in shorter stages.

A combination of the Madrid, Salvador and Primitivo routes would be my choice if I had the time. Followed by a hike to the end of the world, of course.

Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I would recommend walking from Le Puy in France. I walked in September and October it was very quiet very few programs. Most of the programs are older and French. Very little English spoken and I cannot speak a word of French and I had no real problems. I’m sure the Camino is more crowded in August and September but there’s no way they can be as crowded as the Franci I walked in September and October it was very quiet very few programs. Most of the programs are older and French. Very little English spoken and I cannot speak a word of French and I had no real problems. I’m sure the Camino is more crowded in August and September but there’s no way they can be as crowded as the Frances. I will be walking the Camino Norte this September. I don’t want to walk the Camino Frances anymore because of the crowds. If you are in very good shape and you have at least two full months you may be able to make it to Santiago. It is about 1400 km. Or you could start a little south of Le Puy. The countryside is beautiful the Camino was peaceful the food is French, the wine and bread is French and Gites can serve memorable meals. I don’t see a downside to that.

I would recommend walking from Le Puy in France. I walked in September and October it was very quiet very few programs. Most of the programs are older and French. Very little English spoken and I cannot speak a word of French and I had no real problems. I’m sure the Camino is more crowded in August and September but there’s no way they can be as crowded as the Franci I walked in September and October it was very quiet very few programs. Most of the programs are older and French. Very little English spoken and I cannot speak a word of French and I had no real problems. I’m sure the Camino is more crowded in August and September but there’s no way they can be as crowded as the Frances. I will be walking the Camino Norte this September. I don’t want to walk the Camino Frances anymore because of the crowds. If you are in very good shape and you have at least two full months you may be able to make it to Santiago. It is about 1400 km. Or you could start a little south of Le Puy. The countryside is beautiful the Camino was peaceful the food is French, the wine and bread is French and Gites can serve memorable meals. I don’t see a downside to that.

You make a good argument with the French food :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.