• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to choose shoes?

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2024
I’ll begin my Camino in July (Portuguese route), so it’s time to get shoes and break them in.

I have seen posts about walking shoes and which ones people prefer, and I’ve read various articles online, but my question is, how do you select the right pair?

The popular brands/styles are expensive (!), so I want to make a good decision. Five minutes of trying them on in a store is not the same as five hours (or more) of daily walking. In my daily life I’ll just order shoes online and hope for the best, or buy what’s on sale, but this is a different situation.

What is your process for finding the right shoes?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’ll begin my Camino in July (Portuguese route), so it’s time to get shoes and break them in.

I have seen posts about walking shoes and which ones people prefer, and I’ve read various articles online, but my question is, how do you select the right pair?

The popular brands/styles are expensive (!), so I want to make a good decision. Five minutes of trying them on in a store is not the same as five hours (or more) of daily walking. In my daily life I’ll just order shoes online and hope for the best, or buy what’s on sale, but this is a different situation.

I ended up buying mine from a store that only does shoes for runners. They asked me a lot of questions about what I was going to be doing and made several suggestions..they also had a 14 day return policy which allowed me to try them out in the real world. I ended up with Salomon Ultra Glides, which have been very comfortable so far in my training hikes.

If you are inclined to wear trail runners, which is a very popular choice, and if you already have a brand of running shoe/workout shoe/walking shoe, etc that you like, I think the best thing to do is to find that brand’s version of the trail runner and maybe increase the size a bit.

What I mean is, if you wear New Balance shoes, look for a New Balance trail runner, etc. All the major brands make a trail runner, it seems.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
it’s time to get shoes and break them in.
Modern synthetic shoes do not require breaking in. (In fact, they often wear out or lose their cushioning after about 500 km.) Your shoes should be comfortable from the first wearing - they will never get more comfy. Some problems with the fit or feel of the shoe will not appear until you have worn them on an all-day walk. Since you are in the US, you could start at REI, which has a generous return policy. Of course they will still only have a limited selection, but it is a good place to start.

Trail runners (not waterproof) are probably the most recommended type of shoe. However, comfort rules everything. I have not found a pair of comfy trail runners in the width I need, so I use regular running shoes.

Here is my routine:
  1. Late in the day after I've been on my feet for a few hours, I go to the shoe store with a couple of different socks. Check their return policy.
  2. Try on shoes to find the most comfortable model that seems to suit your feet. Start with your normal size and then try the next size larger and the next size wider if available. Keep going until you get to the size that is definitely too big. Then go back to the last size that is not too big. Try them with a slightly thicker pair of socks. Is there still room?
  3. Walk around the store for 20 minutes. Use their step/incline device if they have one.
  4. If they seem good, take the shoes to an indoor shopping mall, since most shoe stores will allow a return if you have not worn the shoes outside. Walk briskly around that mall for 30 minutes or so, getting some speed, good stride, stopping and starting, turning, etc. If any problems arise, you can return the shoes, get a different size, or look at a different model. Sometimes I will go to the mall with two pairs of shoes (different size and/or model) and compare them.
  5. Now that you think you have good shoes, you need to test them on some long outdoor walks. Start with a few km, and try different socks. If they are good, work up to longer distances. You should try to get 2 or 3 consecutive days of 15-20 km to see how your foot responds. You might develop blisters, or discover vulnerable spots. That might be an issue of your foot, distance, socks or heat, etc., rather than a problem with the shoe. However, it you get a blister on the outside of your baby toe, I would say the shoe is not wide enough. Protective tape works well with certain areas. I apply tape across the ball of my foot and on my big toes every morning on the Camino, since those are spots where my skin seems vulnerable.

C clearly has it wired as far as her shoe choosing routine is concerned, as well as starting at REI if you have them/or they deliver to where you live. I went to my local REI yesterday (Friday) intending to buy 2 pair of Hoka Stinson 7 trail runners, but they didn’t have it in the 2nd color that I wanted. The salesperson said not to worry, that he could order the second pair from their distribution center and ship wherever I wanted. I should see pair #2 in 6 days. And while I was there, I took advantage of an in-progress store-wide sale. Unfortunately, Hoka doesn’t allow in-betweens to put their products on sale, but there’s a lot other good stuff to be had.

Thank you
Modern synthetic shoes do not require breaking in. (In fact, they often wear out or lose their cushioning after about 500 km.) Your shoes should be comfortable from the first wearing - they will never get more comfy. Some problems with the fit or feel of the shoe will not appear until you have worn them on an all-day walk. Since you are in the US, you could start at REI, which has a generous return policy. Of course they will still only have a limited selection, but it is a good place to start.

Trail runners (not waterproof) are probably the most recommended type of shoe. However, comfort rules everything. I have not found a pair of comfy trail runners in the width I need, so I use regular running shoes.

Here is my routine:
  1. Late in the day after I've been on my feet for a few hours, I go to the shoe store with a couple of different socks. Check their return policy.
  2. Try on shoes to find the most comfortable model that seems to suit your feet. Start with you normal size and then try the next size larger and the next size wider if available. Keep going until you get to the size that is definitely too big. Then go back to the last size that is not too big. Try them with a slightly thicker pair of socks. Is there still room?
  3. Walk around the store for 20 minutes. Use their step/incline device if they have one.
  4. If they seem good, take the shoes to an indoor shopping mall, since most shoe stores will allow a return if you have not worn the shoes outside. Walk briskly around that mall for 30 minutes or so, getting some speed, good stride, stopping and starting, turning, etc. If any problems arise, you can return the shoes, get a different size, or look at a different model. Sometimes I will go to the mall with two pairs of shoes (different size and/or model) and compare them.
  5. Now that you think you have good shoes, you need to test them on some long outdoor walks. Start with a few km, and try different socks. If they are good, work up to longer distances. You should try to get 2 or 3 consecutive days of 15-20 km to see how your foot responds. You might develop blisters, or discover vulnerable spots. That might be an issue of your foot, distance, socks or heat, etc., rather than a problem with the shoe. However, it you get a blister on the outside of your baby toe, I would say the shoe is not wide enough. Protective tape works well with certain areas. I apply tape across the ball of my foot and on my big toes every morning on the Camino, since those are spots where my skin seems vulnerable.
Thank you! I appreciate the help.

I agree, REI is great and I would have checked there, but the one nearest to me has closed! My local mall has a few shoe stores and a Dick’s Sporting Goods, so that’s where I was planning to look. Smart idea to take heavier socks to shop.

I like ASICS, Skechers, and Ryka fine for my everyday life, but they’re not for long distances (for me, anyway).

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Here is my routine:
  2. Try on shoes to find the most comfortable model that seems to suit your feet. Start with you normal size and then try the next size larger and the next size wider if available. Keep going until you get to the size that is definitely too big. Then go back to the last size that is not too big. Try them with a slightly thicker pair of socks. Is there still room?
I don't think you could go wrong with this advice. It is consistent with the advice provided over the years by those of us who have had a genuine interest in this topic. I did a quick search, and here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/flat-feet.27948/#post-228736 is an older post of mine with a couple of extra hints:
- take any insoles, custom or otherwise, that you normally wear and use these during the fitting
- it also has a short description of how to test the length is correct by removing the insole. This is important in places that don't have a test slope, but useful even at those that do.

I think that whole thread is worth a quick read if you have the time. There might be some new materials and design approaches around, but getting the right fit hasn't changed markedly.

Last edited:
For those with a sense of history about this, here is something I wrote back in 2014. There were others, like falcon269, who had been saying similar things even earlier than that. We often stand on the shoulders of others as we refine the advice we provide today.

@falcon269 is right, there is no magic number here. My tips on buying the right size walking footwear are:
  • leave it to the end of the day to get fitted, and spend as much of the day on your feet as you can. If you cannot do that, try and walk for 30 minutes or so before you get fitted.
  • make sure that the retailer has both a fitting slope - a ramp that allows you to see how the heels lock in and whether the toes will touch the the front of the toe box when going downhill.
  • also check to see whether the fitting staff are checking these things - watch them deal with other customers and see whether they are doing these check, offering lacing advice, making sure customers are wearing a walking sock when trying footwear on, and their general helpfulness.
  • most good stores will have a collection of walking socks that can be used. I prefer to wear or carry in the sock combination that I will be walking with. Normally that is a thin liner and a mid-weight trekking outer sock.
  • (edit) also bring in any orthotic devices you plan to use.
  • If in doubt about the length of the boot, remove the inner footbed, place it on the floor, place your foot on it with the heel at the place it would have been in the boot or shoe, and see how much longer the footbed is than your foot. I have found about 1.5 cm about right. Less than a centimetre is too little. If the sales person still tries to convince you that the fit is right with less than a centimetre, leave - they don't know how to fit long distance walkers, and just there for the sale.
When you have done all that, then don't be surprised if the footwear is a size or so bigger than your normal street shoes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I see that you are in the US. If you have an REI store nearby become a Co-op member. You will be able to return shoes that don't work for you, even after you have worn them outside.
I like REI, but the store nearest to me (still about an hour away) has closed. That’s where I got a previous pair of hiking boots.

Part of the advantage of going there is that the staff know more about hiking than your average shoe store. I like to order from Amazon as much as the next person, maybe more ha ha, but it’s not the same as going to a specialty store with people who know what they’re talking about.

Maybe it’s worth taking a bit of a car ride to get to another REI.

For those with a sense of history about this, here is something I wrote back in 2014. There were others, like falcon269, who had been saying similar things even earlier than that. We often stand on the shoulders of others as we refine the advice we provide today.
Definitely! Thank you. I’ll take a look.

What I mean is, if you wear New Balance shoes, look for a New Balance trail runner, etc. All the major brands make a trail runner, it seems.
I know you are using New Balance as an example. Many people love them. I want to say that over 50 years I've bought three pairs hoping for the best after what happened to my first pair. The quality of the shoes are the worse for any product that I can remember (other than stuff ordered through a comic book ad). It's a shame because they are a local company. I've figured from their reputation that things had gotten better; they haven't.

Like I said, some people love them. Check out each model; don't rely on the general reputation of the company. I'm not going to waste my time checking the quality of each shoe model though. I'm done with New Balance. Boston has plenty of other shoe manufacturers.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I like REI, but the store nearest to me (still about an hour away) has closed. That’s where I got a previous pair of hiking boots.

Part of the advantage of going there is that the staff know more about hiking than your average shoe store. I like to order from Amazon as much as the next person, maybe more ha ha, but it’s not the same as going to a specialty store with people who know what they’re talking about.

Maybe it’s worth taking a bit of a car ride to get to another REI.
To piggyback on C clearly’s post, again, and trecile’s, REI co-op member’s get a full year to return stuff as opposed to 30 days for non-members.

"That is a very important question that not everyone thinks about enough. It is also difficult to give a clear answer because everyone's feet are different. For me, it's simple, I've been wearing the same thing for years. I'm happy with it and I don't need to change. If you're wondering what I'm wearing, well those are Vibram FiveFingers, but I wouldn't recommend them to you without years of preparation."

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks for asking. I feel the same way, I plan on walking in the Fall and I too struggle choosing good shoes.

C Clearly 's reply is about as thorough as you get. Great advice. Keep in mind that you might need to try on lots of shoes before you find the right pair!

Don't rule out boots. Generally they are more durable so you end up getting more bang for your buck. My $180 Altra's are done dead after a Camino whereas my leather Boots have climbed 4 mountains and walked the equivalent of a Camino and still have plenty of life left in them. Boots have a longer life.

This is a good question if you are new to long distance hiking. I took
advice I should have avoided and bought a pair of cross training shoes! Big mistake for me. Too narrow at the toes and not waterproof at ALL. I bought a pair of Ultra-light Skechers.. another BIG mistake. Again .. not waterproof and zero ability to handle steep uphill walking! They constantly slip on the wet rocks!
FINALLY.. after spending €130. for those shoes. (wearing them on the Camino) I finally walked into a good sport shop and spent €170. on a great pair of Merrill gore-Tex hiking shoe.
In the end, find what works best for you. However, keep in my, day-after-day of walking 20+km a day.. I seriously recommend that you try to walk.. at least 3 straight days of 15-20km a day asap! You will develop foot issues you were completely unaware of and ..you may also see that going up a 1/2 size in shoe can make a huge difference!
A few issues that might not come into play for you but…give some consideration.
I live in Portugal. If you are walking from Lisbon you won’t experience much rain that time of year. Portugal, especially the South has been in a drought the last few years.
Typically I say whatever you buy, make sure it’s GoreTex construction. Being on the Camino now in France.. my feet would be a disaster if my shoes were some nylon cross-trainer.
Regardless of what you buy, make sure you take bandaids, moleskin and..when you get to Portugal, pick up some compead and blister tape!

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
To piggyback on C clearly’s post, again, and trecile’s, REI co-op member’s get a full year to return stuff as opposed to 30 days for non-members.
Rather than go to the REI store you can order a variety of options from them and then just make one trip to return those that don't work out - and you'll have s year to do it.

Lots of good advice already.
I tried on every shoe / mid in every trekking store I could find. Then I tried on every brand of trail runner I could find - because they had become ‘the thing’. In the end I ended up with my original Camino footwear in a wide fit. Merrell Moab 3 Mids wide. They are comfortable from day 1 and actually feel more comfortable as the weeks go by.
The moral of the story is - no matter what others recommend take the time to find the right footwear for you.

It’s a serious matter. A few tips gained painfully
Buy footwear a half or full size larger than normal as feet swell. If normal can loose toe nails particularly walking down hills. Also more rubbing.
If hot weather unlikely to need boots, walking sandals are an option. If cold then boots will keep out most of the mud and slush.
Good stores will allow you to take them home to walk around inside.
Don’t be obsessing about brands. It’s the fit that counts.
Try them on in the afternoon as your feet will have swollen during the day.
Take the socks you are likely to walk in.
Consider wearing a thin inner and normal sock.
If your feet sweat a lot will need to change during the day.
Learn to change the lacing for steep stretches.
Don’t buy on the internet. Sizes can vary and occasionally one shoe has faults.
Lots to learn.
Good luck
Mark O

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

The good thing about REI is use their expertise - buy them and walk for a week progressively longer - and with GOOD socks (I use cool max toe liners and thin Merino wool) and if you have ANY issues at all - do stairs too. Take them back. That is the advantage to REI. The third pair for me - Hoka Challengers - were my choice 1/2 size larger. And an insole insert due to arches. 11 days of Portuguese Camino, spiritual variant, 5 days rain, not one blister or problem. But trained with them. Used glide on my feet when more severe descents were expected.
Your choice for shoes is #2 after actually deciding to do a Camino. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I want to make El Camino from SJPDP (Plus a few days in Portugal and Finisterre) with only one backpack. I am thinking of purchasing the Osprey Aether Plus 60, is it a good option? Or what...
In a quandry about whether to wear my hiking sandals or leather hiking boots on the Camino.
Hi all, for anyone interested the macabi skirts are on sale...I have worn these on 3 camino, the Via Francigena, Camino Portugues from Lisbon, and on the Way of St. Francis (in cold and heat 41c)...
Hi everyone I'm really having problems with planning what to pack for my walk from SJPP during mid March. From what I understand the Napolean route will still be closed? And the big headache is...
My daughter is coming with me and wondering if a 2-piece swimsuit is appropriate, or if she needs a 1-piece. Suggestions?
Best app to keep family and friends updated on your Camino whereabouts?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back