• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Group of prison inmates walking the Camino

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Several Spanish websites are reporting on a group of 5 inmates from prisons in Andalusia walking the Camino Frances this week with support staff. Something which happens now and again as part of the rehabilitation of prisoners before release. And occasionally with groups of young people involved in the juvenile legal system. I find the history of pilgrimage as a formal and official penitential exercise is a fascinating phenomenon. One which goes back a very long way! A couple of years ago I learned of the remarkable one-to-one mentoring work of the French SEUIL organisation. Such an interesting contrast with the commercial bucket-list tour company options which are increasingly prominent these days.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For more information re such rehabilitative programs during the past on the camino see these earlier Forum threads.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/juvenile-penitent-pilgrims.1043/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/court-ordered-camino.42950/

February 2009 in Villadangos del Páramo at the frigid albergue the only other pilgrims were a French ex-cop with a teenage fellow. The man had volunteered to walk with a delinquent youth to try and redirect him towards a better life style. They had been walking for 2 months from Seville following the Via de Plata north to Santiago and were now returning to St Jean Pied de Port by walking the CF 'in reverse'. All had been silently difficult until a long sleet storm nearing Santiago. They both agreed that their joint shared endurence walking through that sleet had changed their relationship. Now they could successfully talk about new possibilties. ...Ultreia.

Met an Italian lad and his mentor in Zamora as hospitaleros in 2017. Longer story. The boy ran away in the night and returned before dawn the next morning. This all created consternation with the other pilgrim, Phil, and I. The boy was taken back to Italy and then returned again to the Camino a few days later with a new mentor as a belated Christmas gift to us. We all got a second chance...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked parallel with a 16 year old French girl and her mentor on the Norte one year. She was real trouble at the start, but a different person by the time we got to Santiago, now cheerful and smiling, as opposed to her sullen face when we first met. About 10 of us all went out together to celebrate – it was such a lovely evening, especially as she was now so much happier in herself. She and her mentor then continued on next morning to the Via de la Plata in reverse . . .

Le Seuil french association allows a judge to give a choice to a young desperado, before he definitly fall in criminality:
- either the jail
- or walking on the Camino with a adult guide.
It seems to work: about 95% of those who choose the Camino never go to jail.
Kudos to their fellow pilgrims !

Last year I walked for a time witih a 42 year old criminal from Poland. Yes, he proudly told everyone he was a criminal. He spent 20 years in prison for burgleries. Once out, he was OK for a year or two, and then he started to revert to his old habits. Realizing there would be no good outcome, he was carrying a 20kg pack as a penance. Paweł, I hope it all worked out for you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first Camino solo next April (2025), and was thinking I would walk the Portuguese way simply because I keep reading about how crowded Sarria to Santiago is (and that had been...
Hola Amigos, I have been doing some travel with my family of 4 in central america. We have two kids 3 and 4, they are used of hiking at this stage and we are used of carrying them! We fly to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.