• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino at Christmas

Juliawalking

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: 2005 2007
Hospitalaria Canfranc
I wonder if pilgrims are on the Camino over Christmas, how is that experience, are the albergues open, and if so do they mark Christmas? Would love to hear about that. Many of us have been on The Way at Easter, but I have never heard about Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Christmas is much more understated in Spain than in other parts of the western world. It's a religious holiday, spent mostly at home with family. The big whoopie of gift-giving and bell-ringing is saved for New Year's Eve and Three Kings' Day (Jan. 6/epiphany.) Hereabouts there really IS a "12 days of Christmas," which means pilgrims face special challenges some days finding places to eat, sleep, or shop.
Christmas Eve is the first -- most places close all day, some are open for only the morning. Churches are full.
A whole lot of albergues close, as the workers want to be at home like everyone else.
Christmas Day brings closed grocery stores, restaurants, pharmacies, and often albergues.
Things ease up a bit until New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, which is kind of a repeat of Christmas, pilgrim-wise. Stock up in the morning with some food for the evening and the following day.
The whole business winds up on Epiphany, when the Three Kings bring toys to good girls and boys, with parades in the streets and everyone going home to celebrate with granny. Once again, pilgrims find themselves phoning ahead to find an open albergue or hostel. The Aprinca or "Winter Pilgrim" lists are invaluable for this.
Plenty of pilgrims still go for it. You don't ever hear of fatalities, so it must be do-able!

All that said, I do know the two friendly hospitaleras at Albergue Municipal de Najera are planning a nice Christmas dinner for whatever lucky pilgrims find their way there!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Christmas is much more understated in Spain than in other parts of the western world. It's a religious holiday, spent mostly at home with family. The big whoopie of gift-giving and bell-ringing is saved for New Year's Eve and Three Kings' Day (Jan. 6/epiphany.) Hereabouts there really IS a "12 days of Christmas," which means pilgrims face special challenges some days finding places to eat, sleep, or shop.
Christmas Eve is the first -- most places close all day, some are open for only the morning. Churches are full.
A whole lot of albergues close, as the workers want to be at home like everyone else.
Christmas Day brings closed grocery stores, restaurants, pharmacies, and often albergues.
Things ease up a bit until New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, which is kind of a repeat of Christmas, pilgrim-wise. Stock up in the morning with some food for the evening and the following day.
The whole business winds up on Epiphany, when the Three Kings bring toys to good girls and boys, with parades in the streets and everyone going home to celebrate with granny. Once again, pilgrims find themselves phoning ahead to find an open albergue or hostel. The Aprinca or "Winter Pilgrim" lists are invaluable for this.
Plenty of pilgrims still go for it. You don't ever hear of fatalities, so it must be do-able!

All that said, I do know the two friendly hospitaleras at Albergue Municipal de Najera are planning a nice Christmas dinner for whatever lucky pilgrims find their way there!
Thanks Rebekah, I am not planning on a Christmas winter walk, but I was interested in what happens on the Camino at that time. I think, from posts I see, there are pilgrims on the trail at this time. Cheers and Buen Camino (from a previous Canfranc hospitalera)

We have served as volunteers 2 different years over Christmas and New Year's Eve. Our albergues were open and it was a wonderful quiet experience with a handful of pilgrims each time. The villagers always really felt sorry for us because we were "away from our families", but Phil and I were with our pilgrim families which was really wonderful.

We have served as volunteers 2 different years over Christmas and New Year's Eve. Our albergues were open and it was a wonderful quiet experience with a handful of pilgrims each time. The villagers always really felt sorry for us because we were "away from our families", but Phil and I were with our pilgrim families which was really wonderful.
That is lovely to hear. I think that could be a very special experience - walking or as a volunteer over Christmas.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back