• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guitars on the Camino

Nancy walker

Time of past OR future Camino
First time starting 22nd Sept 16 from St Jean Pied
Hello!

I'm suddenly wishing I could take a small guitar along with me for my 6 week camino. But I realise this is impractical. I think 6 weeks without being able to play will cripple me. I'm a songwriter, and wish to write whilst walking. I love the idea of evenings spent strumming away whilst looking out over Spain.

Does anyone have experience of walking with a small guitar. I Taylor Baby perhaps. Or are there sometimes guitars at albergues!??

Thank you from a music loving pilgrim!

Nancy
x

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What about a ukulele? I've seen several on my caminos (not lying around in the albergues) + they seem much more portable than a guitar. They sound good, too.

I've just been looking into this! It'd be so ace to learn a new string instrument whilst caminoing!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think you can do it. I'm planing on bringing my fiddle on my Camino next month. It was tricky figuring out the logistics, but I think I finally have a solution. My $20 yard sale fiddle will fit inside my backpack without a case (I have a cloth bag) and I can pack all my clothing etc around it. I also have a sort of cardboard tube for the bow, which I'll strap to the outside. I would recommend getting a small and inexpensive guitar that you won't mind if it gets a little beat up - my brother bought a backpacking model on Amazon that was cheap. Message me if I can provide more details. I hope you bring the guitar!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I've just been looking into this! It'd be so ace to learn a new string instrument whilst caminoing!
Hey, a couple of thoughts for guitar and/or ukulele. There are travelling guitars that have narrow bodies. Think of it as the neck that goes all the way down to the pegs. The only problem is that some people use the body to rest a finger or two while playing. If this is your style of playing, it might be a challenge, or you might get used to it.

Regarding the ukulele. The fingering is the same as a guitar. The only difference is that the musical notes are shifted by five frets. For instance: if you play the chord for G on the uke, it will look like a D on the guitar. So all chords and notes are shifted by 5 semi-tones (frets). If you want to play the A on the uke, then use the same fingering as the E on a guitar.

Good luck

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last edited:
Hi Nancy -

If you decide against taking your own guitar, you'll find a guitar which many pilgrims love to play at Refugio Gaucelmo at Rabanal, past Astorga. The guitar is in their salon and is there for anyone to play. Pilgrims sometimes play the guitar at the afternoon tea which is served by the hospitaleros each day and also in the evenings. A small crowd generally gathers around and it's a wonderful shared Camino experience.

Buen Camino - may you find music every day as you make your way on those ancient and magical paths to Santiago.

Cheers - Jenny

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello!

I'm suddenly wishing I could take a small guitar along with me for my 6 week camino. But I realise this is impractical. I think 6 weeks without being able to play will cripple me. I'm a songwriter, and wish to write whilst walking. I love the idea of evenings spent strumming away whilst looking out over Spain.

Does anyone have experience of walking with a small guitar. I Taylor Baby perhaps. Or are there sometimes guitars at albergues!??

Met a group of Americans on our first day on the Camino, in Ponferrada, and one of them carried his backpackers guitar all the way to Santiago! We stayed in the same place a few nights, but regrettably, I never got to hear him play! His name was Octavio.

Last edited:
much food for thought... hmmmmm... I could bring a guitarlele... a uke sized guitar... for 1.4kg.. EEK. Maybe I can do without my shoes!? :)
Yeah, you'll be flying along with all the energy from the music :)

I wish I could meet you and "help" with some back vocals but I won't be on the way at that time.

Wish you most pleasant Camino ;)

This April I walked for a while with Jeff from (I think it was) Minnesota. It wasn't until we parted (because I didn't want to impede his progress) that I noticed how large his pack was. We ended up in the same albergue in Mansilla de las Mulas. Jeff kept us entertained all evening with his beautiful singing and guitar.

Anyone that packs a mandolin is/was a very special person! Or guitar!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, I was passed by a pilgrim playing his guitar as he walked along - the section from Riego de Ambros to Molinasecca! Quite a feat considering the terrain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you really must, then you could get one like the lady in the video; she´s got a guitarlele. Basically a 6 string Uke.
I´ve got a Martin Traveller, but it is longish and would get in the way !

Attachments

• martin traveller.jpg
    martin traveller.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1
  • guitarlele.jpg
    guitarlele.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back