• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hadrian's Wall Robin Hood's Tree Cut Down

Time of past OR future Camino
September-October 2021
The BBC is reporting that the tree was deliberately cut down.
The Hadrian's Wall trail was a walk I have long planned to take. And to photograph myself next to the famous Robin Hood's tree.
There have been discussions in this forum about vandalism not just on the Camino, but of historic sites around the world. This is, sadly, is another example.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The BBC is reporting that the tree was deliberately cut down.
The Hadrian's Wall trail was a walk I have long planned to take. And to photograph myself next to the famous Robin Hood's tree.
There have been discussions in this forum about vandalism not just on the Camino, but of historic sites around the world. This is, sadly, is another example.
It was chainsawed down, so ‘accidental damage’ was ruled out fairly quickly. It is reported that a young person has been arrested, which makes the incident even more sad, if that’s possible.

Well, only Robin Hood as the location was used in the Kevin Costner film ... the place is known as Sycamore Gap and the tree was about 300 years old and the site of many rituals, such as marriage proposals.
A 16 year old boy has been arrested.

One possibility is that it may regrow if nurtured as Sycamore trees are known to throw out shoots after severe damage, I do hope so .... until then, for any Camino along the way up there it will be a terribly sad place to arrive at.

AA1hpfGZ.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I live about 20 miles from that tree and must have been past it over 1000 times in my life, mostly in a car, but dozens of times on foot and several times on a horse. It was almost impossible to be depressed passing that glorious spot, especially on the way home from work or a journey. From now it will be impossible to see that gaping gap and not be depressed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is sad about the tree - so many memories for many people. I feel greater sadness for the anger within the young man who cut it down though. There are so many damaged young people. 🥲🥹

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
News report today says a man in his 60s has also been arrested, this is the third arrest so far. Given its remoteness it is unlikely a 16 year old carried a large chainsaw that distance. Beyond comprehension why anyone would do this but thoughts are it was for tiktok likes
That was my first thought. What 16 y.o. could do it all on his own. There must be more people into this. Which makes it even worse.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
News report today says a man in his 60s has also been arrested, this is the third arrest so far. Given its remoteness it is unlikely a 16 year old carried a large chainsaw that distance. Beyond comprehension why anyone would do this but thoughts are it was for tiktok likes
It’s not all that remote. There is a car park less than a mile from there and a B road running nearby where you got a good view of the tree.

It’s not all that remote. There is a car park less than a mile from there and a B road running nearby where you got a good view of the tree.
Which presupposes a 16 year old driving there in a stolen car, unlikely. I know there is a road nearby , and it was 600 yards from the road. Not a spur of the moment action, planned and with support of others

Photo from my Pennine Way walk in 2014, located alongside Hadrian's Wall.

Attachments

• 201 Sycamore Tree on Hadrian's Wall.JPG
    201 Sycamore Tree on Hadrian's Wall.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Which presupposes a 16 year old driving there in a stolen car, unlikely. I know there is a road nearby , and it was 600 yards from the road. Not a spur of the moment action, planned and with support of others
Never suggested it was a spur of the moment action. There not a lot spontaneous about a chainsaw. Just observing that the site is not particularly remote.

Most read last week in this forum

Is there a known walking distance from AMSTERDAM to ST. JEAN via LE PUY? No matter how I phrase the question on Google I am continually taken to links from St. Jean to Santiago. I do not want to...
Due to length restraints, I’ve had to to split the story into two posts. I find it no longer ‘flows’. I suggest reading Part 1 again, link just below, before reading Part 2. Regards Gerard Part 1...
G’day, I am an Aussie walking from London via Canterbury and the VF to Rome. After completing the Lon-Cant section (Chaucers’ Pilgrims Way) I am now in Licques at the end of Day 4 on the VF...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.