Search 62305 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Harassment near Irache Wine Fountain!!

Christine Finland

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago (2013)
Two weeks ago early on a Sunday morning my daughter, granddaughter, and I were harassed by 3-4 separate groups of teenage boys about a mile or more before the Irache Wine Fountain. It was very unsettling as they shouted at us in Spanish and their behavior was inappropriate and threatening in any language. Has anyone else experienced this? It was the only time we felt uncomfortable or in danger on the Camino!

Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Kanga

Staff member
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
No, but we have our share of young louts in gangs here too. It is unrealistic to think the Camino is not impacted by normal society. Unemployment is extraordinarily high for Spanish youngsters so I guess that doesn't help. Why do people behave so badly in groups?
Which does not make your experience anything other than unpleasant. And I'm sad about that because I can think of few lovelier things than three generations of women walking the Camino together. I really hope it does not spoil things for you. Hope you gather around you a good Camino family to make you feel safe.

grayland

Staff member
Yes
Very sad experience. Fortunately, this is very rare and we seldom hear reports of this type.

However, I don't think unemployment has anything to do with this or with the scammers or thieves on the Camino.
These types of bad actors rarely work and are not affected by a downturn.
Very few people lose a job and say let's go steal things or harass people.

trevorcc

SJPD to Santiago 2013,2014, Camino de Levante Sept. 2016, Frances March 2018, planning 2020
Very sad as I was impressed by the friendly youth on the Camino something home in Oz could learn from. Maybe this is what the pilgrims had to put up with in the early days but they would have been bandits.

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
Sorry to here of your bad experience. I pray that things get better and you start to feel safe again. Donj't let this one bad experience be the apple that spoils your barrel. Don't forget to post about one of the great experiences you are sure to have. Buen Camino.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

ksam

Veteran Member
Portuguese '08, Frances '11, del Norte '14, Invierno '16, Ingles '17, Primitivo October 2018
Definitely the first time I've ever heard of this happening. So sorry. Hope and pray this is 'It" for bad experiences! Buen Camino!

jumpingin2014

Camino Frances 2013
Our first trip to Spain we went to Malaga for 2 weeks where there was a youth soccer tournament (Spanish youth) going on and they were in the same resort as us. They would do exactly what you said every time a girl walked by. The parents laughed and thought it was funny. We took it as disrespectful but not threatening but I imagine for the women it was threatening. So yes I have seen it before in Spain .......... never in my country Canada where the parents would laugh but I imagine it happens - whistling and cat calling by construction workers for example.

Most read last week in this forum

Two days ago I finished my Camino (Ponferrada ->SdC -> Finisterre -> SdC -> Airport). Did it in 10 days. In total it was like 440 km. I did some training before camino, so this pace/km per day was...
I just finished walking from Cruz de Ferro to Molinasca and I want to warn pilgrims about the trail condition. The trail is really rough with large loose rocks and other hazards. I started in SJPP...
I was going to bring a pair of sliders for my evening footwear, as something to wear for the shower, in the albergues and around town. Would I be better off bringing a pair of lightweight trainers...