• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone found a day trip/detour to Fatima along the route?

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
Just investigating the possibilities of going to Fatima, not necessarily walking, while walking the Camino Portuguese from Porto to Santiago? Has anyone found/taken a bus trip from any particular town? Walking Porto to Vile do Conde then inland onto Santiago. Would appreciate suggestions.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just investigating the possibilities of going to Fatima, not necessarily walking, while walking the Camino Portuguese from Porto to Santiago? Has anyone found/taken a bus trip from any particular town? Walking Porto to Vile do Conde then inland onto Santiago. Would appreciate suggestions.

Hi, Fatima is a long way south of Porto. Impossible to do a day trip to Fatima while walking north between Porto and Santiago. How are you getting to Porto? If you are getting there via Lisbon, you could easily do a day tour from Lisbon. Or you could stopover in Fatima for one night, while on the way from Lisbon to Porto.
Jill

I caught a bus from Tomar. Check my web - http://snicholl5.wixsite.com/home-site/santiago then look at Pilgrimage III, then check out "Day 9 Tue May 28th Trip to Fatima."
You will note that neither I nor the other peregrinos thought much of Fatima, and actually left early. We were all disappointed - they are Roman Catholics, I am an Anglican Elder. I certainly wouldn't bother to go again, but .... each to his own!
I hope this is helpful, Sophie....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had a completely different experience in Fatima than Stephen, finding Fatima a truly moving experience. HOWEVER, I spent the night there and was able to experience the candlelight procession following the evening rosary, attended an English-language mass in the outdoor chapel, visited the actual village of Fatima, and walked the stations-of-the-cross path from the Basilica to the houses of Jacinta, Francisco, and Lucia. All in all, a great side-trip if you have the time to contemplate and reflect.

The bus ride from Porto is a few hours in the opposite direction of Santiago. As a previous post noted, if you are coming from Lisboa, then a bus from there to Fatima is less than two hours and you could then continue on to Porto.

I caught a bus from Tomar. Check my web - http://snicholl5.wixsite.com/home-site/santiago then look at Pilgrimage III, then check out "Day 9 Tue May 28th Trip to Fatima."
You will note that neither I nor the other peregrinos thought much of Fatima, and actually left early. We were all disappointed - they are Roman Catholics, I am an Anglican Elder. I certainly wouldn't bother to go again, but .... each to his own!
I have linked to your wixsite and I am THOROUGHLY enjoying your pi
Hello Stephen, I have linked to your wixsite and I am THOROUGHLY enjoying the written account, and pictures, of your journeys. Thanks for posting the link!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last year, we took a bus to Fatima from Tomar. Then, we took another bus to Coimbra to continue.

Years ago I did a bus day trip to Fatima, Ovidio, and Batalha. It was around 80 eu and was well worth it. I found the bus downtown.

I flew into Lisbon and immediately caught a bus to Fatima, spent 2 nights in Fatima and then caught a bus to Porto to start walking from there. Despite my nervousness I found it all to be very easy and did not need to pre-book my bus tickets. I think each ticket was around 11 euro.
Details that may be helpful...
After I arrived and got my bag at the Lisbon airport (and then my Vodafone SIM) I just told the people at the airport tourist information desk that I wanted to take a Rede Expressos Bus from the Sete Rios station to Fatima. They told me which bus to hop on right outside the airport door to get to Sete Rios. Sete Rios bus station was small and easy to navigate to get a ticket and get on the bus. Buses are pretty often. It was just as easy in Fatima. The bus station in Fatima is easily walkable to all the sights.
After my Camino I flew from Santiago back to Lisbon. The tickets are pretty cheap and I'm really glad I chose that vs bus or train.
Hope that info helps!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
One of my favourite photos from our brief stint in Portugal - a bunch of nuns at Lisbon airport on their way to Fatima. Quite a sight for us, as nuns in Australia no longer wear habits

.fullsizeoutput_1b02.jpeg

Years ago I took a tour bus from Lisbon.
It went to Fatima, Obidos, and Batalha.
It took us to the factory where statuary was made.
It also stopped for lunch on the coast.
It wasn't cheap but it was well worth it.

One place not to miss if you will be in Lisbon is Sintra.
You can get an inexpensive train there, and you can find lodging on booking.com
When I went there the first time, I stayed in an albergue for 9 euros.
I'm not sure if it's still there - but lots of cool things to see and worth the trip.

Fatima is a very cool place to visit also.

Oh gosh, I just realized how old this post is and that I've already answered.
Oops!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back