• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Haunted by the Camino...in a good way

J.Patrick

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto 2015.
Northern 2017
Francigena Oct 2023
Two years ago I walked the Camino Portuguese, beginning in Porto, with a priest friend of mine. Over the days, we spoke of many things: our families and friends, the relationships we have with God, our parishioners (I'm a priest, too) and their needs, our visions of Church and our ministry, about growing older and beginning to ask questions about what life would be like in our later years, about our gratitude for every blessing received from God and the people we love.
We rejoiced in the beauty of Portugal and Western Spain, reveled in the food, pulled each other out of the way of passing cars, commiserated with each other's aching feet, met strangers who became friends from all over the world, and relaxed into an easy companionship with an ever so seldom freedom from schedules appointments and waiting projects.
To say it was rich is to offer an utterly impoverished description of our amazing time together. I LOVED that camino.
Before I began to read this forum, I thought I was peculiar, haunted by my camino and thirsting for another, more extended experience. I felt odd about this, and wondered about the longing to continue the journey. Then I began to read this discussion (thank you, Ivar) and found that I was not alone, and that there was a whole community of people who have done repeated caminos, enriched by the chance companionship of the road, and enchanted by the life in slow motion of the many steps to Santiago.
I'm so happy to have found you. I've been lurking, for the most part, reading your insights, considering your discussions of what makes a proper camino (albergues or hotels, spiritual/religious/secular motives, heavy backpacks or light, boots or running shoes). What a wonderful discussion! I so appreciate the voices of freedom, allowing each person to make the camino that makes sense to them.
I've just been given freedom for a sabbatical, to do a full, six week. So, this next August/September I will do the northern camino, beginning in Irun, and then diverging on the route that I am coming to understand must not be named (say those who have already done it).
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for your thoughts. It was good to discover I'm not the only one haunted...in a good way...by the camino. I hope to meet some of you on my next pilgrimage.
Buen camino a todos!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome and you are truly not alone with your thoughts and feelings after the camino.
It was a wise decision not to talk about the Camino that shall not be named to keep it the way it is.
I wonder though if many would walk this unnamed camino as it has not the infrastructure as the CF.(at least this is what I hope).
Buen Camino
Michael

Welcome to the club and glad that you found us, you are truly nor alone ;-)

Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Welcome! I am so glad you have six weeks to walk next Summer. And I'm glad you are posting.

Ultreia!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back