• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino ‘The Way’ or ‘No Way’

Time of past OR future Camino
December 2022
Been raining a bit in Galicia. This is sections of the Camino Norte between Gontàn and Baamonde on November 4. I’ve been able to keep my toes mostly dry and still enjoying the walk. Impressive as the rain has been the wind has impressed me more. Heard one tree blow over today. Intense rain followed by sunny skies then more rain.

Buen Camino

Attachments

• 5A99E4F6-7802-4B27-B26B-477879FEB057.jpeg
    5A99E4F6-7802-4B27-B26B-477879FEB057.jpeg
    604.7 KB · Views: 1,877
  • 68980388-687B-426A-9D67-2392EE2BBDCA.jpeg
    68980388-687B-426A-9D67-2392EE2BBDCA.jpeg
    618.7 KB · Views: 811
  • B5EA014A-F251-4AA3-9EF5-9B78E4196AAF.jpeg
    B5EA014A-F251-4AA3-9EF5-9B78E4196AAF.jpeg
    553 KB · Views: 756
  • 91C7B67A-B4F4-40C9-84E7-EE7D9E3EBC82.jpeg
    91C7B67A-B4F4-40C9-84E7-EE7D9E3EBC82.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 728
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
An update for todays walking….

The pictures were from yesterday and today walked the short road between Baamonde to Sobrado dos Monxes. Reports from people who walked this route yesterday were that conditions were worse and wading in knee deep water was required. After another stormy night we feared the worse and thought we were in for big adventures. Not to be though. The route ahead had dried out and we made it through without having to swim. Word from amigos behind reported that yesterdays water had also receded.

All is well on Camino again 🙏

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
View attachment 159690View attachment 159691View attachment 159692View attachment 159693

Been raining a bit in Galicia. This is sections of the Camino Norte between Gontàn and Baamonde on November 4. I’ve been able to keep my toes mostly dry and still enjoying the walk. Impressive as the rain has been the wind has impressed me more. Heard one tree blow over today. Intense rain followed by sunny skies then more rain.

Buen Camino
As I crossed that same bridge just a few short weeks ago, I wondered what it would look like if the stream beneath rose a little more…then promptly slipped going down the far end of the bridge, banging my knee on the rocks underfoot. If only I’d waited, I’d have had my answer and I could’ve had a softer landing albeit a sloshy one. Thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks for photos. The water is high!
I'd like to remind everyone that we, pilgrims, who are walking through do not know the local creeks and streams well. Water is stronger than we are.

I started to write out how I would cross safely with my scouts, but found this article by the Appalachian Trail. They write out safety guidelines better than I could. It's a short read and worthwhile information about backpacking and crossing water.

Kate

Last edited:
Encountering such water, is it a case of shoes/boots off and maybe wade across with a pair of flip flops on ?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Encountering such water, is it a case of shoes/boots off and maybe wade across with a pair of flip flops on ?
I managed to keep my feet dry. One place ahead was flooded and camigo ahead of me waded in sandals thru several stretches but for me the next day the road was clear. Other places had road detour and one of the pics we just walked out on the field for a few hundred yards. Mostly it was just adapt to the situation

Both the A-Trail and the Pacific Crest guidelines advise to keep shoes on while crossing to protect feet and increase friction on slippery surfaces in fast moving water. They do recommend changing to shorts or underwear to keep trousers dry.

This is not an absolutely unique situation, as I also encountered flooded sections and over-the-boot-deep puddles 8(?) years ago (the last year in Germany, whenever that was ...). It really pays to give detailed attention to the weather forecasts and the road reports up ahead. Plus, with the water receding so quickly, just holing up for a day (or two) is another workable strategy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Are you near the Monastery? Random thought sorry

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I never take of my boots/shoes when walking through water/streams. You never know lurks under neath the water. I would much rather deal with wet gear than an injured or lacerated foot. On wet days I usually wear a plastic bag between my socks and shoes. That usually keeps my feet dry.

I had a rather nasty experience in a cow pasture (looong story😱🤣).... but can vouch for ... crocs. My shoes and my pants and socks were SOAKED to the knees. So rinsed clean... swapped sock and walked the next 13km in my crocs. Barefoot ...never. As @jpflavin1 said, too easy to get a laceration or who knows what. Keep your feet protected. Even if they do get wet.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.