• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have y'all seen the video of this guy? Lots of bad decision

MCVet

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked (2012)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSUd9aw_-yM

Take heed future travelers of the perils you can get yourself into if you don't listen!

Two main problems:
1) Left at 12 PM for a 6 - 10 hour long trek.
2) Left when he was warned not to. Hell, it was raining when he left!

Good news is he made it, and didn't die.

Also, I wonder how the whole truck dropped him back at the cross thing went down? That's pretty crazy just to leave someone out there, even if you do have to go out of your way a bit.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was wondering who was taking the pictures if he was alone on the mountain?
They were great pictures at all times...much better than the usual ones.

Did he have the camera on a stick...or something?....or was someone else actually with him?

The more hits this guy gets, the prouder he will become of his stupidity. It is not clear why some live and some die. It cannot be merit based!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
grayland said:
I was wondering who was taking the pictures if he was alone on the mountain?
They were great pictures at all times...much better than the usual ones.

Did he have the camera on a stick...or something?....or was someone else actually with him?

I think he was just turning the camera at himself? Or maybe I missed what you're talking about. :)

{Candace}

The way it bobbled when he was walking, I think it was a GoPro type camera with a chest rig. Something like this but with a bar extending it outward. I've seen people with all sorts of crazy attachments for those things.

The more hits this guy gets, the prouder he will become of his stupidity.

I dunno, I kind of think he learned his lesson. I mean if he truly did record his last words, that's got to be somewhat humbling. But if you don't learn your lesson from an ordeal like that basically smacking you upside the head with "LISTEN NEXT TIME" then you never will.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How idiotic! I only got 8 minutes in but I had to stop once he started saying how angry he was at other people's actions and that god would judge that man...hang on: He's the one who made the stupid decision to put himself in danger against all advice!

I think it was a GoPro, too, they come with arm attachments and all sorts of mounts so he may have had it extending off his backpack.

I think the worst part is all the praise in the comments and others saying "I'm going that way, too, regardless of what they say." "You only live once!", Etc. All those people are now going to endanger themselves and blame others for it, too. And for him to be saying things like "You just have to trust in god." Well...it's not your god's responsibility to save you from stupidity.

Sorry, that made me angry, why do some people insist on assuming they know better? It's disheartening.

You have to give the guy credit for his self-confidence. Despite being given a lift when he got himself stuck, then slating the guy who tried to help him...he then posts it all on YouTube! I hope he doesn't use it in a presentation at his next job interview!
p.s. Unless he's going for a job in the financial services industry, of course. :D

OK, you have convinced me not to watch it so he gets no more "hits".

Stupidity carries the death penalty - Larry Niven. If you are stupid to a point of recklesness, why should you expect God to intervene?

If you kill yourself, fine,but when would be rescuers die then such stupidity should not in any way or form be encouraged.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It seems it was quarter to two when he finally set out, he says so at around 0.53 ... *shakes head*

I'm wondering if anyone who commented here has watched the entire video. I agree that leaving SJPP at 2:00pm in the rain is pure folly, but that is only the start of a beautiful video of what turned out to be an incredible journey for this young man. If you don't watch the entire video you miss the face-splitting full-on-joyful smile at the end that shows what a miracle a Camino experience can be.

With hindsight experienced pilgrims know not to leave SJPP that late in the day in inclement weather, but this man had youth and naivete on his side. And I think it is impossible to tell what really happened with the man who gave him a lift - where he was picked up and dropped off was unclear - and it was all probably a misunderstanding (in the dark, in the rain, in Spanish or Basque).

If you do watch the video, I encourage you to watch the whole thing and not judge him by his uncensored encounter with his own humanity.

nreyn12 said:
I'm wondering if anyone who commented here has watched the entire video. I agree that leaving SJPP at 2:00pm in the rain is pure folly, but that is only the start of a beautiful video of what turned out to be an incredible journey for this young man. If you don't watch the entire video you miss the face-splitting full-on-joyful smile at the end that shows what a miracle a Camino experience can be.

With hindsight experienced pilgrims know not to leave SJPP that late in the day in inclement weather, but this man had youth and naivete on his side. And I think it is impossible to tell what really happened with the man who gave him a lift - where he was picked up and dropped off was unclear - and it was all probably a misunderstanding (in the dark, in the rain, in Spanish or Basque).

If you do watch the video, I encourage you to watch the whole thing and not judge him by his uncensored encounter with his own humanity.

I watched the whole thing. I think it was not smart because 1. He left at 2pm and 2. They suggested he not take that route. However, the rest of the video was nice to watch.

{Candace}

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I watched it all. If I were him I might have edited some of it before posting it on YouTube -that's all! Buen Camino!

After the watching the video I scrolled through the comments. I'll quote one of his responses:
"We're all human. I was wrong for thinking YOLO.(You only live once) I walked the way while discerning the call to priesthood, and I found this situation humbling. Thank God for saving me albeit my arrogance."

:|

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think his editing needs lots of work. I presume it is a first attempt at putting a piece together. Some nice shots of ponies though, and that barrel of young wine does look rather tempting.

I watched the whole thing. Yes, it's a pretty amateur video. And he was pretty stupid at the beginning. But overall, I found him a very likeable guy. People learn from their mistakes...and hopefully he understands how terrible his decisions were - both for him and for the people who may have had to put themselves in danger had he needed saving. I hope that it was a humbling experience for him.

It's just unfortunate that so many people are responding to the video with YOLO. (YOLO = one of the most ANNOYING ways that people rationalize stupidity. You only live once, it's true. All the more reason to treasure the life you have.)

I think the part with the truck takes place where the camino splits off from the paved road onto a grassy track and then heads up through a crag. I think he missed this and continued on the road to where the man found him, and then dropped back there. He says he followed the paved road again where he became stuck over night. Anyone know where that road leads to and the name of that crag/peak?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I went back and watched the whole thing, but I still see no excuse for naivete. You're somewhere unfamiliar and you ignore the warnings and basic common sense provided to you? That's just willful ignorance.

Maybe he learned, maybe he didn't, was there a need to risk his life to learn that he should listen to advice? No. Absolutely not. And now, because by chance he didn't die, others have been encouraged to ignore good advice, too.

Having traveled at a very young age, and on a subsequent trip to a war zone for study, you always educate yourself before you go. Always. There is no excuse not to.

nreyn12 said:

I agree here. While reading all responses, I was thinking of the entire video posted. All of us make dumb decisions. He happened to put his out for all to see. I sent this clip to someone who wants to walk this summer. The response, "I'm glad I saw this because now I know to what to expect and can alter my plans. I wouldn't do what this guy did." The rest of the clip gave a good idea of the beautiful people we meet along the Way, my favorite part.

I remember my first walk. Holy heck was I an idiot. I still am, but somehow I seem to waddle through life always looking for the next arrow.

For those who comment on YouTube, we have to consider the source. How many of those people have walked around their own neighborhood?

I think when he does it again (I bet he will), he'll have a different story to share.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

nreyn12 said:

Nreyn12 ~ I'd just like to thank you for your post and the humanity it brings to this discussion.

I have watched the whole video and afterward, reading all the extremely angry posts I was becoming quite agitated. Gosh folks...how blessed you all are to never have made bad decisions and suffer the consequences of the choices you've made. Good on you. But for the rest of us...well we'll just struggle along I guess. I think that seeing this whole video - the good, the bad, the downright scary - is incredibly valuable. People who view it have the choice to either take it as a cautionary tale or as a triumph in overcoming and dealing with the consequences of a personal decision. Because that's what it is. A personal decision.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Life is short!
Break the rules!
Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly!
Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile !

The video is worth watching as against odds he smiled!

Gosh folks...how blessed you all are to never have made bad decisions and suffer the consequences of the choices you've made

Don't get snarky. This guy knew, and he even talks about it extensively, that it was a terrible decision. Yes I watched the entire video, and yes I think the guy is likeable, but being affable doesn't mean we can't criticize your bad decision making. I think he learned a lesson, but I'm also going to use his video to point out why you should listen as well.

Sienna Moon said:
Life is short!
Break the rules!
Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly!
Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile !

The video is worth watching as against odds he smiled!

Yep I bet the original pilgrims lived and died on Camino without the benefit of google, youtube, weather forecasting and even camino forums

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I watched it all and it brought back some memories, but I think if I had encountered him I would have fled.

In my short 2 weeks last year I met no one so inarticulate. (I pass over his "spirituality" without comment.) I suppose youth excuses a lot, but I'm glad I encountered a wonderful group of people cause they made the journey for me.

I saw the whole thing and find some of the reactions here hugely exaggerated.

But, whatever one thinks of this young man and his choices, I find public hanging to be very off putting...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Indeed, a stupidity of starting to climb during a cold, windy, rainy day at 14:00.
It gives anyway an idea how the weather can be in the Pyrenees at a certain heighth and it's almost impossible to find the way when it's completely dark. What I found amazing was when Daniel started praising the Lord in the morning after he woke up: you hear continuosly loud and clear a twittering bird trying to say "wake up, it's a lovely day, enjoy it". I would like to know where precisely he spent the night.

other DONT's:
- make fire on the camino.
- waving with a red patch like an idiot to the bulls.
and...
- burning the Brierley Guide at Finisterre. Shame :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
nreyn12 said:
I'm wondering if anyone who commented here has watched the entire video..... If you don't watch the entire video you miss the face-splitting full-on-joyful smile at the end that shows what a miracle a Camino experience can be.
NREY12--- I watched the whole video and I am pretty sure so did most of the people who posted. The comments above referred to that first day decision to start on the Camino when just about everything and everybody around him adviced to wait. The fact that he went on to survive that first day and finished the Camino makes no difference whatsoever on how dumb his decision making process was which is what people are commenting on.

Sorry nreyn12, but to watch this video and post to say that "all is well that ends well" is possibly just as dangerous. I think there is a lesson to be learned on this video and it seems to me you are actually the one missing it.

A couple of comments:

This video has been posted before and somebody stated the incident with the truck driver may have been a misunderstanding as locals assisting pilgrims are required to returned pilgrims to a place within the Camino closer to where they were first picked up. He stated he was lost. The truck driver returned him to the Camino.

This was June-- not Feb, nor March--- JUNE.

He acknowledged his friend Simon as a savvy pilgrim buddy, yet when it seems Simon decided to stay behind, he pressed on......? :shock:

He talked about passing TWO places he could had stayed; from that second place he could already see the Camino was foggy ahead.

It seems that tragedies are often a result of compounded mistakes. This one had all the makings of one. I credit Daniel with posting the video and puttting himself out there for judgement because I am sure somebody will learn something from it....and hopefully it will not be to go on and take stupid chances because you "might" get lucky and gain some joy at the end.... :roll:

Just curious, but why all the red font? It's tough to read. Are red comments more important so their penners feel an inner need to highlight their points this way?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
NoQ said:
Just curious, but why all the red font? It's tough to read. Are red comments more important so their penners feel an inner need to highlight their points this way?
Tough to read.......? My background is BLUE so RED and Black is actually MUCH easier for me to read--- wish EVERYBODY's posts were in RED :D.... and no, I really don't think in those terms (my comments are more important). I see that you do think like that....hmmm, interesting.

Any thoughts to share on the Camino!! have you done it? !! Please share!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pieces said:
is it a sign of old age when one starts thinking "people used to be nicer on this forum" ?

Had been thinking the same as Pieces once again. Not old age though. Never.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Olivares said:
Sorry nreyn12, but to watch this video and post to say that "all is well that ends well" is possibly just as dangerous. I think there is a lesson to be learned on this video and it seems to me you are actually the one missing it.

Haven't missed a thing, but thanks for looking out for me. Now I'm with Pieces...but also not due to old age...

Nancy

By the time I finished the watching the video I was smiling a lot more than when I started. I'm not sure about the opening part - it's one person talking to camera, so it's hard to know what actually happened.
But moving on from that, it's a great record of a young person's camino - a perspective which doesn't really get a lot of exposure on this forum. Enjoy if you can.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Clever video -- and a lot more clever than much of the commentary I've seen attacking the guy.

Fact is, most people never get to walk the Camino in such a simple and basic manner -- the skillfully-produced video aspect notwithstanding -- and for him to have been given that blessing on his very first day was a Gift.

The easy route of the walking tour from albergue to albergue is not the real Camino.

The true mark of a pilgrimage is its personal nature, and his own personality shines clear in the video that he's made of his.

Not my personality, probably not the personality of anyone reading this -- not the way I've walked the Camino, nor you -- neither of which matter in the slightest.

His personality, his way, his Camino.

Get over it.

Most read last week in this forum

My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back