• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Heads Up on Shoes Taken From Gite

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayWalker

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016
Currently on the Via Podiensis and my husband's Merrill Moabs with expensive orthotics were exchanged for a half size smaller, different color and worn pair (as in falling apart) at the gite we stayed in last night.

Please mark your boots or shoes in some way, maybe a big X on the heel part or tie them to the rack so someone will not "mistakenly" take them. The gite owner was very kind in calling all the male pelerins and alerting them in case they inadvertently took them. Disappointingly no word this evening. We had to take transport to the next biggest town to buy new shoes to the tune of $100 US and don't know if they will work down the line. Just want to save another possible expensive headache. Bon Chemin.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am so sorry this happened to you and your husband.

I find it a little odd someone could mistake a brand new pair of shoes with orthotics in it as their own. Especially since the ones they left were smaller, a different color, old and worn out. But stranger things have happened... and I've been warned not to jump to conclusions - so I hope whomever made this mistake realizes it and makes good.

This is the second post this morning I've read about shoes being mistakenly taken.
I guess with so many people on the Camino right now mistakes can happen.

I think I'll paint mine bright pink this year! Or paint bunny rabbits on them. Or rainbows... or ??

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 10.11.40 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 10.11.40 AM.png
    740 KB · Views: 15
On my Norte camino in 2018 I met a French pilgrim who had his shoes stolen. I adopted his solution from that point on. Unpack what you need to. Take a small plastic garbage type bag and put your shoes in it. Put your shoes in your pack. In many places the shoe rack is not visible and often accessible to anyone in the community.

Currently on the Via Podiensis and my husband's Merrill Moabs with expensive orthotics were exchanged for a half size smaller, different color and worn pair (as in falling apart) at the gite we stayed in last night.

How annoying, and expensive. So sorry you experienced this.

Assuming that the shoes and orthotics were stolen, would this event be a candidate for reporting to e.g. the Police force that patrols the Camino? Yes, yes, I know it is not an emergency, and I am pretty sure that they would not have sufficient resources to pursue each such case individually, but their back office staff might periodically analyze reports of thefts, looking for patterns such as recurrences in specific locations, or recurrences in a wave that moves along the Camino, or seasonal variations. Such information might help their crime prevention activities.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
GRRRRRR
Hola @WayWalker Whilst I have not had this happen to me I know how I would react if I caught the thief. I have three methods to deter this action: 1. I put my boots as high up on the boot rack as possible; 2. take the laces out and use my emergency twine to tie them to the rack; 3. ignore the "no boots in dorm" rules and put them in a plastic bag in my backpack.
@Anniesantiago - sorry - this was not in anyway a "mistake" this was deliberate theft and needs (imho) to be called for what it is.
@Pilgrim9 - yes given the value of these shoes it should be reported, although I doubt the local authorities would be prepared to do much about it.

Our OP could have visited every Gite/Albergue in an attempt to find the shoes and take them back, leaving the thief with nothing to ware. Even after buying a replacement pair this would, again my opinion, an action that all pilgrims must support.

How annoying, and expensive. So sorry you experienced this.

Assuming that the shoes and orthotics were stolen, would this event be a candidate for reporting to e.g. the Police force that patrols the Camino? Yes, yes, I know it is not an emergency, and I am pretty sure that they would not have sufficient resources to pursue each such case individually, but their back office staff might periodically analyze reports of thefts, looking for patterns such as recurrences in specific locations, or recurrences in a wave that moves along the Camino, or seasonal variations. Such information might help their crime prevention activities.
Yes if these are custom orthotics they can easily be expensive. My most recent custom orthotics cost me $800, and if they were stolen, I would not be able to replace them (I have to allow 3-4 weeks delivery after initial measurement). The combined cost of shoe and orthotic can easily be over $1000, not an insignificant amount.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Please mark your boots or shoes in some way, maybe a big X on the heel part or tie them to the rack so someone will not "mistakenly" take them. The gite owner was very kind in calling all the male pelerins and alerting them in case they inadvertently took them. Disappointingly no word this evening. We had to take transport to the next biggest town to buy new shoes to the tune of $100 US and don't know if they will work down the line. Just want to save another possible expensive headache. Bon Chemin.
1. I seriously doubt that this exchange was in error. Just assume it was a adverse exchange - their worn out shows for your new(ish) pair. This happens. I have seen it before.

The suggestions for tying your shoes/boots together, or tying them to the rack are good. I also advise bringing a recycled grocery plastic bag and putting your boots in there to carry beyond the check-in area.

The reason for leaving boots and shoes at the entry is to keep the floors inside clean. If you anticipate that and cover your shoes on arrival, or better yet, out of site of the check-in person you will likely be able to keep your boots / shoes fastened to your bed.

If someone objects, tell them these are "zapatos especiale y muy caros" (special shoes and very expensive). You might add "del podólogo" (from the podiatrist).

They SHOULD understand and allow you to bring the bagged footwear inside. Even if they do not, tie the bag closed and place it on the footwear shelf. If other pilgrims cannot see inside the bag, your footwear is that much safer.

2. Assuming you find a replacement pair of shoes, go to a nearby farmacia. Show them the shoes and tell them you need "support insoles for the Camino" (apoyar plantas para el Camino). He or she will likely spend time with you to try a few styles to see which one you find comfortable. It might not be podiatrist approved, but it will salvage your Camino.

I had the same problem several Caminos ago. My shoes were not taken, but the insoies that were removed for drying got lost, forgotten, or "borrowed." I had to walk a couple of days until I found a farmacia that had insoles that worked. Oddly enough, I found Dr. Scholls insoles in a farmacia in Monforte de Lemos while on the Invierno in 2018.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
Yes if these are custom orthotics they can easily be expensive. My most recent custom orthotics cost me $800, and if they were stolen, I would not be able to replace them (I have to allow 3-4 weeks delivery after initial measurement). The combined cost of shoe and orthotic can easily be over $1000, not an insignificant amount.
I had not realized the cost (and time involved) with custom orthotics. Even though my boots are inexpensive, I will use some of the methods given on this thread for future caminos. It's so sad that all it takes is one person to cause such a problem for all. Reminds me of having to take off our shoes at airport security because one person had unsuccessfully tried to detonate a "bomb" with explosives hidden in his shoes...over 20 years ago! Bon chemin.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Since my 2018 incident, I remove my insoles every night. This enables me to rinse them in a sink and dry them for the next day.

Plus, and as the person above correctly states, "someone is less likely to walk off with boots lacking insoles." While it is not a perfect solution, as the person purloining your footwear can simply move their insoles over to you shoes, it is a good idea - and one which I use.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am in the same boat with orthotics. I wonder if it would be beneficial to remove the orthotics at night so that if the shoes go on a walkabout, at least you still have the - more expensive - orthotics.

Thanks everyone. True Camino moment. My husband talked to one of the only English speakers in the square and he admitted that he also wore Merrills. The gite owner kindly called every one who stayed that night and gave them a heads up. We had to bus forward to the next stop because he couldn't walk in a half size to small already worn shoe! Anyway he confronted the Merrill owner again and told him to please looked at his shoes. He invited my husband to his gite and they examined the boots and sure enough they were his!!! We were so glad and showed him where to find this pair. All he said was, no wonder i had such a good day walking. We are back on the road! Thank you for all your support.

Thanks everyone. True Camino moment. My husband talked to one of the only English speakers in the square and he admitted that he also wore Merrills. The gite owner kindly called every one who stayed that night and gave them a heads up. We had to bus forward to the next stop because he couldn't walk in a half size to small already worn shoe! Anyway he confronted the Merrill owner again and told him to please looked at his shoes. He invited my husband to his gite and they examined the boots and sure enough they were his!!!
Great outcome!
All he said was, no wonder i had such a good day walking
It sounds like this other guy needs to go buy a pair a half size larger!

I use a white-oil-based-paint pen to mark my initials in large block letters on the heel-bed inside each of my leather hiking boots Once dry, it is indelible and extremely resistant to abrasion. I don't know how anyone could obliterate my markings unless they e.g. spray-painted the inside of my boots, which would be absurdly unlikely.

This won't prevent a theft but will eliminate the possibility of arguments about who owns the boots.

And as suggested above, I put them in a plastic shopping bag and take them with me.

I am in the same boat with orthotics. I wonder if it would be beneficial to remove the orthotics at night so that if the shoes go on a walkabout, at least you still have the - more expensive - orthotics.
I'm another user of custom orthotics, and they came out of my shoes and stayed with me every single night 😊. I learned the hard, very painful, lesson my first time on the Camino that these are a necessity for me. If they were lost or taken I would be in for a great deal of pain, and, based on my first experience, would probably have to end my Camino shortly after.

Removing them not only helps prevent theft, but it's good for the orthotics to get aired out regularly. Actually, I take two pairs and alternate every few days.

Thanks everyone. True Camino moment. My husband talked to one of the only English speakers in the square and he admitted that he also wore Merrills. The gite owner kindly called every one who stayed that night and gave them a heads up. We had to bus forward to the next stop because he couldn't walk in a half size to small already worn shoe! Anyway he confronted the Merrill owner again and told him to please looked at his shoes. He invited my husband to his gite and they examined the boots and sure enough they were his!!! We were so glad and showed him where to find this pair. All he said was, no wonder i had such a good day walking. We are back on the road! Thank you for all your support.
Fantastic! A great ending!

oh crikey, that is soooo disappointing to hear … it happened to a friend of mine at the Abbey in Conques many moons ago and I’ve not heard of an incident since that time BUT on the basis of that, I am very cautious with both my shoes and my bâtons … out of interest, at what town did this regrettable incident happen?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
oh crikey, that is soooo disappointing to hear … it happened to a friend of mine at the Abbey in Conques many moons ago and I’ve not heard of an incident since that time BUT on the basis of that, I am very cautious with both my shoes and my bâtons … out of interest, at what town did this regrettable incident happen?
Fortunately, @WayWalker has updated us, and there was a good outcome.

I use a white-oil-based-paint pen to mark my initials in large block letters on the heel-bed inside each of my leather hiking boots Once dry, it is indelible and extremely resistant to abrasion. I don't know how anyone could obliterate my markings unless they e.g. spray-painted the inside of my boots, which would be absurdly unlikely.
Good idea.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
great outcome‼️

I have posted this story before, but the mistake was totally accidental...

On my first Camino I walked with a fellow who was the last one to leave his albergue a few days earlier and grabbed his Merrill Moabs, the last pair left on the rack. As he walked along that day he felt his toes rubbing the front with blisters forming and discovered he had the wrong shoes. The next day he told a new acquaintance his story and that man said he'd run into a guy yesterday who told the same story, only that person's Merrill Moabs were sloppy huge and he realized he'd grabbed the wrong shoes...well, through some confusion figuring out where each person was staying, a taxi ride brought them together and they were able to exchange the shoes...a small Camino miracle! 🙂

Call me a cynic but I should think it was more a case of the thief being caught out than a genuine mistake. After walking many kilometres you know what your own shoes feel like and custom orthotics inside would certainly not go unnoticed immediately you put the shoes on.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Call me a cynic but
We simply don't know for sure, and I can understand a bit of skepticism. However, I certainly have some reasonable doubt about it being a deliberate act, so I don't like to see him quickly branded as a thief. I think that there are more people around who are stunningly unobservant, than there are thieves, so I prefer to keep an open mind at least.

Last edited:
Call me a cynic but I should think it was more a case of the thief being caught out than a genuine mistake. After walking many kilometres you know what your own shoes feel like and custom orthotics inside would certainly not go unnoticed immediately you put the shoes on.
If I were going to steal another pilgrim's shoes I would make sure to bus a stage or two ahead so that they couldn't find me!

I put my initials on the back (facing out) in black permanent marker. It should prevent mix ups and deter theft.

He invited my husband to his gite and they examined the boots and sure enough they were his!!!
Nice ! I am glad for your husband and you that you can walk again !

However, if my english is good enough to understand, you and your husband are convinced it was a mistake ? Despite orthotics, different colours, different state and so on... ?
Please, if you meet again the other pilgrim could you make it clear what can explain he did the mistake ? And what could prevent such a mistake from him ? Drawing on the shoes ? Tied laces ?

I believe that taking the shoes inside the dormitory, even in a plastic bag, is a bad idea because they could bring bug beds.

In Aumont-Aubrac

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Off topic -but since you are on the Le Puy can you please advise how busy it is at present? I'm potentially planning this route for next year.
Thanks
Frank

My friend and I walked our camino in 2018 (and I still hope for another!) The forum had warned me about loosing your boots, so I did two things. I sewed a name tag over part of the laces on each boot. Because I figured that was not too obvious, we then tied one of my Vasque boots with one of her Keen boots and put each tied pair apart from each other in the line up of shoes. It would have been unhelpful to steal a pair that wasn't a pair and it would certainly become clear early on that something was wrong it you were accidentally putting on the wrong pair! Bonnie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks all, it was apparently a genuine mistake. The handling of it after being called by the gite host and knowing you were one of few with the same shoes, to not even check ended up being the issue. And no apology. Grateful to be able to continue in comfort.

Do you mean than the man who made the mistake did not apologize ?
It's incredible.
Somewhere, that makes me afraid...
No, his reply was, no wonder my feet felt so comfortable on my 25k walk. And I can't believe I was so absent minded. Some people are just incapable of apology or that was their way of apologizing. No big deal at this point.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I put a security wire with padlock through the tabs. Not full proof, but deters genuine mistakes.
I know it's frowned upon, but about 5 minutes away from the albergue I take off my shoes and put them in a bag attached to the backpack and then arrive wearing a thin pair of sandals. I've previously had a pair of expensive salomon boots stolen in an albergue. I understand people can inadvertently take the wrong hiking poles, but size 47 high boots where the laces were tied together. Not a chance. I have heard people lose a backpack, sleepingbag, hiking poles, towels etc etc. I know a german guy that have tracking devices in his boots and backpack. Unfortunately - not all pilgrims are honest.

I am so sorry this happened to you and your husband.

I find it a little odd someone could mistake a brand new pair of shoes with orthotics in it as their own. Especially since the ones they left were smaller, a different color, old and worn out. But stranger things have happened... and I've been warned not to jump to conclusions - so I hope whomever made this mistake realizes it and makes good.

This is the second post this morning I've read about shoes being mistakenly taken.
I guess with so many people on the Camino right now mistakes can happen.

I think I'll paint mine bright pink this year! Or paint bunny rabbits on them. Or rainbows... or ??
I had my daughter write and make drawings on my shoes, stops people from mistake shoes and to raise my head when I'm hanging my head 😉

Finishing my next Camino barefoot scares me, thus I just ordered something like this:
If it won't prevent thefts, at least it will prevent mistakes !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Waywalker, it's early here and I'm reading your explanation about your husband being reunited with his boots. Sorry, I find your explanation unintelligible - maybe the early hour I am reading it, so please excuse me. But it sounds like a happy ending. Good.

Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Waywalker, it's early here and I'm reading your explanation about your husband being reunited with his boots. Sorry, I find your explanation unintelligible - maybe the early hour I am reading it, so please excuse me. But it sounds like a happy ending. Good.

Buen Camino.
Unintelligible? It definitely was a happy ending!!! Obviously the story evolved. Should I have deleted the post? If so I'm not sure how? I personally prefer everyone who supported us for finding a place for replacement shoes be notified of how it all ended up.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back