• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Health Problem...advise pls

Anuska

Hello! My friend has a real problem. After almost 350 km, she is in trouble...she has humps(knobs) all over her body. After 24 hours, every hump becomes blemish. Do you have any idea what about this could be? Now, she takes antibiotic - ospamox. So, please help if you have experienced the same problem or you heard about it.
Thanks a lot!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If she hasn't seen a doctor, then I think she should.
It's hard to say what it is as it could be an allergic reaction (possibly hives) meaning antibiotics won't work. But we can't see it and many of us aren't medically trained.
I say its best to go to a doctor.

See a doctor or at least stop in a Farmacia.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
She could have hives, but I think she is infested with BEDBUGS. . These "bumps" are bites, and she is having an allergic reaction. She will pass the bugs along the Camino unless she STOPS, washes EVERYTHING in hot hot water and puts it in a dryer, and sprays her pack inside and out and her shoes. If you are traveling with her, you should do the same.

It's possible it's something else, but I've seen people with these huge "bumps" and it's bedbugs. A photo might help?
Please ask a hospitalero before you stay one more night anywhere - you don't want to pass these along and she will just continue to be eaten every night until she rids herself of them.

I'm so sorry this is happening to her :(

Hello! My friend has a real problem. After almost 350 km, she is in trouble...she has humps(knobs) all over her body. After 24 hours, every hump becomes blemish. Do you have any idea what about this could be? Now, she takes antibiotic - ospamox. So, please help if you have experienced the same problem or you heard about it.
Thanks a lot!
Hi, if these are bed bug bites they will be in telltale groups of three. Your description sounds very similar to what I experienced with bed bug bites. I also noted at the time that other folks had what appeared to be bites but they did not go on to the next phase, the reaction. Regardless, I am sorry for your friends trouble! I concur with Annie, wash everything, dry everything and also if possible, leave it out in the hot, hot sun tied up in a black garbage bag for a few hours. Wish you well!

If she is having the violent reaction you are describing you need to treat this medically. This is not uncommon and medical offices along the Camino (most) are trained, have experience, and the facilities to to treat this swiftly. Do not attempt to deal with this yourself and do get the help that is needed. I recently read of backpackers who fell violently ill after developing a reaction to the bedbug pesticide the place they were staying in was using to rid of bedbugs. All the best, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Could it also be mosquito bites? I am Scottish but have been living in Poland this past year and this is the first time I have been exposed to Mosquitos.

I get bitten so badly, at first they come up in hard bumps and then turn fiery red. It's been horrendous and really put a dampener on things. I have a terrible allergic reaction to them.

Could it be this? It's finally getting cooler in Poland now so I am hoping its the last of the Mosquitos.

Bed bugs or Mosquitos I'd go to the doc and get something for it.

Good luck

Thanks a lot!
Most likely its Erythema nodosum. Nodules of a centimeter or two in size that after a day turn purple in color. Mostly never find the cause, but sometimes there is some sort of infection going on somewhere in the body. Forget the Pharmacia and go to the doctor. He probably never saw a case, but should know enough to be able to look it up.

Bed bug bites (and the allergic reaction to them) or an allergic reaction to something else would be my guess also > in all cases, get her to a doctor! SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Go to the nearest health center and let a doctor have a look.
Speculating what it can be is a waste of time.
Seek professional advice.

Buen Camino!

Definitely not erythema nodosum I still get flare ups occassionaly and it sounds nothing like it, or at least like how I have experienced. Also, being from Canada and growing up with allergic reactions to mosquitoes I doubt that is it either. I have never experienced bed bugs before so possibly.

I had to see a doctor while in spain because of my foot and they are quite cheap over there. For a doctor's visit and an xray it was under 130 euros which I found extremely cheap, this is what I paid without any travel insurance. If fear of cost is stopping your friend from seeing a doctor don't worry about it. It is a bit of a procecure though (at least where I was) and the money had to be deposited into a bank account first. Luckily my daughter was with my so while a waited to get in to see the doctor she ran off to the bank. Also the Spanish I learned didn't include medical words and the doctors nor receptionists spoke English but they sure knew how to use google translate and were very friendly.

The fact that she is taking an antibiotic means the most likely culprit is an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. You can see a doctor but if this is not possible, stop the antibiotic and take benadryl, 25mg caps 1 or 2 pills up to every 6 hours. This will make her tired but will take are of the hives. If this does not work, its not hives and most likely bedbugs.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Duh!! Went back to read original post and only now just realised she was on an anti biotic!! Oops....and here is me a trained nurse and also had an allergic reaction to an anti biotic last New Year which stalled my Hogmany plans due to being covered in nasty red bumps! Should have read the original post properly first time! Yes it most likely sounds like a reaction to the anti biotics! Do exactly as Irene Elisabet says, but you could perhaps get a non drowsy anti histamine.

Take care

Have we had an update on what she has? I'm sure inquiring minds wish to know. Hope she is well by now...

The Original Poster has not been in the Forum since two hours after her post, so good advice has gone unread.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Falling on deaf ears then :( oh well might help someone else in the future :) Hope that their Camino is going well however!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks a lot!
This sounds like bedbugs. They lay dormant until they smell a body then feast all night. They are gone by morning waiting for the next fresh blood. The hives don't show up usually till late morning or afternoon...by the evening they are almost unbearable.
Some sort of antihistamine will help her if its hives/bites. You have to wash everything like was stated...but washing alone will not be enough and MOST common sprays do nothing. Best thing is to put anything that can go into a dryer into the dryer on the hottest heat for at least 2 hours. Things like shoes and backpacks...pretty much everything should be gone through with a fine tooth comb. You will see the bugs if they are there. They are hard to kill...do not just chuck them on the ground or floor ...kill them and flush them. Then in about two weeks. You need to revisit everything...go through everything...cause if they layed eggs this is about when they hatch again. You will see smaller bugs but bugs none the less. Do this every two weeks with clothing etc. if you do not see bugs...but if you see them do it immediately. WHEN YOU GET HOME. You need to do the same thing again. They can live for 2 years without eating...laying dormant in suitcases or the seems of beds etc.

ALSO...physically check your mattress if you can... pull it out from a wall slightly if you can. Bedbugs hide in seems of mattresses ...little tucked away places but often you can actually find them if you look. Also they live in the baseboards or most bedrooms or rooms with bodies coming in and out. So pulling your bed away from the wall might actually help...because they will smell you and climb the wall and onto the bed if they can.

You can have your stuff professionally fumigated but it is expensive. I have had to toss out a really nice couple of mattresses cause the fumigation just didn't work.

Bath in vinegar or baking soda at night...that might help with itching too.

This sounds like bedbugs. They lay dormant until they smell a body then feast all night. They are gone by morning waiting for the next fresh blood. The hives don't show up usually till late morning or afternoon...by the evening they are almost unbearable.
Some sort of antihistamine will help her if its hives/bites. You have to wash everything like was stated...but washing alone will not be enough and MOST common sprays do nothing. Best thing is to put anything that can go into a dryer into the dryer on the hottest heat for at least 2 hours. Things like shoes and backpacks...pretty much everything should be gone through with a fine tooth comb. You will see the bugs if they are there. They are hard to kill...do not just chuck them on the ground or floor ...kill them and flush them. Then in about two weeks. You need to revisit everything...go through everything...cause if they layed eggs this is about when they hatch again. You will see smaller bugs but bugs none the less. Do this every two weeks with clothing etc. if you do not see bugs...but if you see them do it immediately. WHEN YOU GET HOME. You need to do the same thing again. They can live for 2 years without eating...laying dormant in suitcases or the seems of beds etc.

ALSO...physically check your mattress if you can... pull it out from a wall slightly if you can. Bedbugs hide in seems of mattresses ...little tucked away places but often you can actually find them if you look. Also they live in the baseboards or most bedrooms or rooms with bodies coming in and out. So pulling your bed away from the wall might actually help...because they will smell you and climb the wall and onto the bed if they can.

You can have your stuff professionally fumigated but it is expensive. I have had to toss out a really nice couple of mattresses cause the fumigation just didn't work.

Bath in vinegar or baking soda at night...that might help with itching too.
Bath in Vinegar....Sheesh. I hope I do not run into those little buggers.....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Read the previous threads for bedbugzzzz prevention, you are more likely not to be bitten !!.......Dont worry !!.........:):).......Vicrev

Read the previous threads for bedbugzzzz prevention, you are more likely not to be bitten !!.......Dont worry !!.........:):).......Vicrev
Yeah, I know. I plan to use permethrin
Spray on all my stuff and look under beds etc. they are just so disgusting I guess. But, they are part of nature!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The problem on the Camino with bed bugs is because it is probably not something they care about. They would HAVE to have it fumigated ...the Albergue I mean....it would not be enough to just put the beds outside to freeze over night and you can't shove a mattress in the dryer. The other thing they would have to invest in which is not likely are mattress covers which keep the bugs in and out.
I think bedbugs and noise are the two reasons I am bringing a tent. I would definitely not be staying somewhere if I heard it had bugs. Also tents are fun for privacy...

Pattii, when you have walked the Camino you will find that albergues mostly take care not to get infested with bed-bugs and to eradicate them when they do get a report. You seem to think that they do not care. In Galicia the 6€ nightly charge gives you a disposable sheet and pillow case. The bugs are not confined to albergues, they travel on packs so theoretically could be picked up in a cafe-bar too :(
We have always checked the beds in private rooms as well as albergues and (so far) have not seen any evidence of bugs. Noise is not confined to albergues either :(. If you are using a tent then you face will different challenges than these, not least getting warm and dry if the weather is cold or wet. Speaking personally I would rather be warm and dry, but we each make the Camino in our own way.
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Pattii, when you have walked the Camino you will find that albergues mostly take care not to get infested with bed-bugs and to eradicate them when they do get a report. You seem to think that they do not care. In Galicia the 6€ nightly charge gives you a disposable sheet and pillow case. The bugs are not confined to albergues, they travel on packs so theoretically could be picked up in a cafe-bar too :(
We have always checked the beds in private rooms as well as albergues and (so far) have not seen any evidence of bugs. Noise is not confined to albergues either :(. If you are using a tent then you face will different challenges than these, not least getting warm and dry if the weather is cold or wet. Speaking personally I would rather be warm and dry, but we each make the Camino in our own way.
Buen Camino
I understand and I am sure most do...but I am sure some don't ...and it doesn't have to be on the Camino. And Kudos for trying with bedbugs but nothing gets rid of them without everyone agreeing to fumigate...and I am sure expense would not be on the high priority list...and understandable so. They are a huge problem all over North America and Europe.
And when I said they don't care about it. I don't mean that they don't do what they can to prevent it. ( like that they give out mattress covers thats awesome!) But I was referring to the Larger THEY on the whole. One would pretty much have to do all the Albergues on the Camino to make a big difference ...and even then they travel as I say. So people stop caring about it....like people here. Some really don't care.

But I do. I have had them in my place...they traumatized me and I don't care if you laugh. I was so grossed out I couldn't stay in my place for days...but they were bad and not because of me but the whole apartment building.
I just don't want to deal with bed bugs if its at all possible. Thats my prerogative ...but I don't care if you stay in those Albergues....more power to you. I will just sleep in my tent...lmao.

And I'm not a martyr or a fool ... I know when its too cold or wet for me in my tent. I have never stated I would not stay in an albergue ...but I might be pickier than others yes. I'm ok with that... It is after all my own Camino. I have plans on staying in all three actually ...my tent albergues and a couple 5 stars to be honest. Thats at least the plan I have now.

I am not sure why people are so baffled about why I would want to stay in a tent. I like to camp and rain is not an issue in a tent if its a good tent...it is actually nice to hear on the tarp while you fall asleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and actually I was referring to my noise. I take a while to get going in the a.m. and I am sure it will be a pain in the ass for those sleeping.

Good luck with your tent and not meeting any bugs....you never know you might be sleeping closer to one than you think!

Sleeping outdoors is full on nature

A selection of Camino Jewellery
its completely netted...and I know a few tricks. but thanks...i think...shakes my head

I think for me its about being in a controlled environment. I get to check my little space for bugs on the regular. I mean I am camping I know I will deal with bugs. I am not afraid of much else....not even snakes really cept there are some poisonous ones...and scorpions kind freak me out a bit ... Its the spiders that are difficult for me. But I will think of something. And I am honestly not worried about being cold. It will be the same weather more or less as it is here...perhaps more humid...but I've been checking temps and they are similar to where I live. I have a -6 sleeping bag. And I can sleep in my clothes when it's really cold.
For me the challenges that camping bring are good for me...they make me strong. The first time I camped by myself all sorts of things happened but I survived. I have done it several times since. I usually go camping in a group but I plan on staying in very few "uninhabited" places. My ideal is a church yard or Albergue yard. I have been checking them all out for space...And I do plan on paying the same as anyone staying in it. I want to be able to socialize with people but just have my own space for sleeping. I don't think thats a bad thing. Just like deciding what when and if I will eat in a day. I am the ultimate planner. I find out as much info as I can and then plan ...and then I plan again. I love doing it. People are bent different ways. I know I'm weird...Im good with that....lol

When I was little we went to summer camp every summer. When I was older I stayed at the cottages of friends and family. When I was a little older than that I stayed at a dorm in school and stayed in hostels and lived with several roommates. I live with people now.
I am quite ok with community living.
I feel that the Camino is a place I need to be able to deal with some things in my life. I know me. Better than anyone. I do NOT want to have all my private moments publicly...That is the other huge reason for staying in a tent. When I sleep...before I sleep ...my mind races...even when others would be dead to the world with fatigue. If I bawl my eyes out I don't want everyone seeing this. I have stenosis in my back. Sometimes mattresses do a number on me and it is actually easier sleeping on a harder surface. Sometimes I like to read till all hours of the morning and write till dawn. Sometimes I want to be alone. Sometimes. I have never said all the time.

Many people do many odd things for even stranger reasons than I.

And the biggest reason I am staying in my tent ...and this should be the number 1 reason. I feel like God is asking me to do that. Im just trying to hike the Camino I feel led to.

Bueno Camino

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I've just finished the walk about a week ago, and hope my experience/mistake can be of some help to future pilgrims. I spent a day or two in Madrid before and after walking the last 100 km to...
I’m leaving in 11 days for my CP. I live in California and would not drink tap water unless it’s filtered however I remember drinking from plenty of fountains in Spain. Is it the same in Portugal...
Hi all, It's been a while since I posted here, but happy to be back. I hiked about 100 miles in 2015, loved it, and the Camino got into me and became part of me. That pilgrimage resulted in a...
Hello all, I’m a first time peregrina walking solo on the Portugues Central route. I have injured my right knee and cannot walk. I can barely hobble right now. Since the weekend is coming up I...
Hi guys, thanks for all your help so far. I tried to search this topic in past threads but couldn’t find much. So apologies if this is a repetitive question Basically I need to see a doctor to...
Hello, We are walking the Camino Frances west from Pamplona to Sahagun, then traveling to Sarria to complete the last 100k to Santiago I’m a Type 1 Diabetic on an insulin pump and using DEXCOM...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.