• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Masks might be required by law in Hospitals and health centers next week

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
This has not yet been approved, but it looks like it might be approved on Monday:

By the way, even if this is not approved, I would recommend people in Spain now (January 2024) to have a mask with them (you can get them at any pharmacy). Nothing dramatic, just an increase in people with various respiratory infections after the Christmas and New Year holidays. (See link above for more details).

As a sidenote, I was in Gadis (supermarket) in Santiago just before New Year's. It was packed, people coughed and sneezed... I put my mask on, got the 4 or 5 things I needed and exited.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If it's just the espacios sociosanitarios, as the article suggests then it'll just be pharmacies, doctors' surgeries, clinics, hospitals and whatnot.

It might affect some pilgrims, but I found last time that most places that insisted on it would provide you with a mask if you didn't have it. And some would trade with you through a window into the street instead of at the indoor counter.

I wouldn't worry about it too much -- in practical terms last time, there were just one or two pilgrim places where to sleep in retirement homes that were closed to pilgrims for such reasons.

An Albergue is not an espacio sociosanitario.

While coming back from Muxia in September the bus turned into a normal commuter bus on the outskirts Santiago with lots of people going to work.
The amount of people coughing and sneezing was uncomfortable.
If I had a mask I would have used.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The amount of people coughing and sneezing was uncomfortable.
There's both a seasonal flu and a very infectious cold going round. In Mediterranean Europe anyway. I've had both ...

The cold is pretty annoying and needs much tissue paper, but it only lasts a few days.

Dunno about covid this go, as my autoimmune syndrome was triggered by something completely different this time ... but the 2023-2024 flu is a bit more aggressive than most.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was in PARIS last week and drove home. Metro and RER..people were coughing and guess what? Returned home and the kleenex companies are making a fortune just with me. Inhalations and tiger balm will certainly turn that around. In TOULOUSE yesterday, the people coughing and sneezing in the waiting room of the spital was amazing. No masks yet here.

We were in the UK in September and both came back with Covid.
I am in the US and discussed our upcoming Camino Portuguese in late April. For folks 65+ the Covid vaccine is really only effective for several months. She suggested getting vaccinated a month before we travel. I also asked for a
Prophylactic meds for Covid to bring with us. She is happy to prescribe it.
I have had Covid twice - took 3 weeks to recover both times. Had parainfluenza A after getting a flu shot. So WILL have a good mask and we are staying in private rooms. Buen Camino!

Looking at the Spanish Press, whether it's required in Pharmacies or not may be variable regionally.

I agree with those who say that there’s nothing to lose by putting on a mask in crowded situations or on trains, planes, etc. So many respiratory illnesses going around and so little inconvenience.

Since 2021, I have added a small pack of KN95 masks to my camino packing list. Weighs so little and can come in very handy.
I've been carrying a few KN95 masks, too. But I can't resist also carrying a Camino-themed cloth mask to put overtop the KN95 when on Camino. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is a reusable cloth mask acceptable, or must they be medical masks? If medical masks only, must they be N95s?

Any type of mask (except home made mask I think) is fine.
Haha, my cloth masks are home made 😅... I'll just bring my cute cloth mask and if they ask me to put on a medical one I will.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back