• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello from a Canadian newbie

2ctheworld

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned - Sept/Oct, 2022
Hi everyone,

Camino and forum newbie here. Will be hiking in Sept 22 from SJPdP to SdC at 57 yo. Love walking but have never done and long distance. I am a home based travel agent and tend to take 6-8 weeks leave from my f/t job in order to travel, experience and rejuvenate. In 22, this will take place in Spain!
I am a minimalist packer, so that's one thing in my favour! Now to start trying different trail shoes (the ones I have do not have a rock plate and are too narrow for this journey), sock combinations and training. Snow will be flying here in Canada in the next month or so, so most of my training will have to be at the gym (thinking incline machines) and the outdoor stuff will have to wait for spring.
In the meantime, I am reading and watching all things Camino.
Can't wait to meet some of you on The Way!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Let me just suggest that beginning your training next summer would give you more than enough time to get in walking shape. I'd also suggest that, to the extent possible, you begin with shorter stages.

Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Now to start trying different trail shoes (the ones I have do not have a rock plate and are too narrow for this journey)
Welcome! We can help entertain you all winter! I agree that a few months training should be OK for the camino, but I would never discourage taking up walking as a frequent pastime.

My shoes don't have a rock plate either. While I might like that feature, I have not been able to find the comfort and width in such a shoe. Unfortunately very few women's shoes come in Wide.

Let me just suggest that beginning your training next summer would give you more than enough time to get in walking shape. I'd also suggest that, to the extent possible, you begin with shorter stages.

Buen camino!
Hi and thanks for the advice! I do plan on "working my way up" to longer walks (6-7k is the most I generally do around my town now) and for the Camino, fully intend to stop at Orisson on the first day and do shorter stages for the first week (12-15k if I can).

Welcome. The snow will be falling here in Spain soon, just as it will at home in Calgary. Walking the Frances route in Spain next fall you will have lots of places where you can pick up a few forgotten items. September is a great month to walk pilgrim routes (this is my fifth), and also a very popular month to walk. Enjoy your preparations. You will have made a good start if you can keep your pack weight down.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi. We are from Eastern Ontario and just finished one month on Camino and Granada. Exceptional experience throughout. FYI, I also support wide shoes as what I look for. We wore Altra TIMP-3 no rock plate and never any difficulty on Primativo, Verte or tail end of Norté. Have fun preparing.
Mike and Liz.

Bonjour
I am from’a beautiful place in Canada call Magdalen Islands and I will be walking the Camino Frances next april. It was my first camino in 1999. I did Le Puy -SJPdP in 2012 and 2014. I was planning the Norte last year but….
Strangely this year the CF appeared to be the one I should walk. The decision being taken I feel that the camino has already begun, not only physically because I started to walk specifically in preparation but also mentally and spiritually. It´s a great source of happiness. Last night I came across a documentary which did touch me a lot
have a beautiful day

You have an exciting journey ahead. I have walked 3 shorter caminos using Altra Lone Peak shoes which have a rock plate and lots of wiggle room in the toes. There is so much information on this forum you can find regarding shoes and of course very individual for each person as to what feels good on your feet. Most important is to get a half to full size larger than regular size. I love wrightsocks which come in merino wool and have a liner attached. I am in Ontario close to the Bruce Trail and walked weekly in my trail shoes so you can get out in the winter if you like to test them out. Will leave the training advice to others. All the best to you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi. We are from Eastern Ontario and just finished one month on Camino and Granada. Exceptional experience throughout. FYI, I also support wide shoes as what I look for. We wore Altra TIMP-3 no rock plate and never any difficulty on Primativo, Verte or tail end of Norté. Have fun preparing.
Mike and Liz.
Hi Mike and Liz...I am E. ON too! Ottawa area :) Glad you had a great Camino!

Bonjour
I am from’a beautiful place in Canada call Magdalen Islands and I will be walking the Camino Frances next april. It was my first camino in 1999. I did Le Puy -SJPdP in 2012 and 2014. I was planning the Norte last year but….
Strangely this year the CF appeared to be the one I should walk. The decision being taken I feel that the camino has already begun, not only physically because I started to walk specifically in preparation but also mentally and spiritually. It´s a great source of happiness. Last night I came across a documentary which did touch me a lot
have a beautiful day
Stellamaris - beautiful area of our country! Will watch the documentary after work today - thank you for sharing!

You have an exciting journey ahead. I have walked 3 shorter caminos using Altra Lone Peak shoes which have a rock plate and lots of wiggle room in the toes. There is so much information on this forum you can find regarding shoes and of course very individual for each person as to what feels good on your feet. Most important is to get a half to full size larger than regular size. I love wrightsocks which come in merino wool and have a liner attached. I am in Ontario close to the Bruce Trail and walked weekly in my trail shoes so you can get out in the winter if you like to test them out. Will leave the training advice to others. All the best to you.
Thanks Zoe&Ollie!
I will check out the wrightsocks and am hoping to try the Altra's. Just not sure about the zero drop as I haves some osteoarthritis in my big toes. So far really like the Peregrine 11's
I am in the Ottawa area, so we have the Gatineau Hills close by, and trails down closer to Lake Ontario. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everyone,

Camino and forum newbie here. Will be hiking in Sept 22 from SJPdP to SdC at 57 yo. Love walking but have never done and long distance. I am a home based travel agent and tend to take 6-8 weeks leave from my f/t job in order to travel, experience and rejuvenate. In 22, this will take place in Spain!
I am a minimalist packer, so that's one thing in my favour! Now to start trying different trail shoes (the ones I have do not have a rock plate and are too narrow for this journey), sock combinations and training. Snow will be flying here in Canada in the next month or so, so most of my training will have to be at the gym (thinking incline machines) and the outdoor stuff will have to wait for spring.
My one tip is to wear boots one size bigger than usual as your feet will swell and not deflate as you’re walking every day. I went from a size 39 (6) to a 42 (7.5) also take flip flops for the showers.

Hi everyone,

Good luck planning...it is very exciting! You will love that as a first Camino. I did it in april/may 2019 but will one day do a fall hike. You will get fitter as you go. I recommend first night in orrison for a chance to meet others you'll likely be passing as you walk. Buen Camino.

Hi everyone,

FYI, I was 64 when I first walked from St PdP to Santiago. 800 K, 37 days, with two rest days built in. I've always been active. I found the Way very rewarding, and at times challenging. However, never once did I consider stopping. and have since walked the Portugal Route from Lisbon, along the Atlantic seaboard, 600 K, mostly on boardwalk.
We are fellow Canucks from the Center of Canada.
Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
hoping to try the Altra's. Just not sure about the zero drop as I haves some osteoarthritis in my big toes. So far really like the Peregrine 11's
I tried the Altras, which have an excellent wide toe box. But the zero drop seems to bother me. It requires that the foot roll over a bigger angle on that big toe joint. (I haven't read anywhere about this being a problem, but that is how it seemed to me.) My foot does better if I have a bit of lift built into the heel. But everyone is different, should you should give the Altras a try.

For that same reason I have avoided Hokas, even though they are so well cushioned. I stick with the traditional heel drop. I currently use Brooks Ghosts (they come in Wide). They are super-comfortable, but after about 800 km I notice that the cushioning has lessened and I need new pair. Originally I thought that the problem was that they didn't have a rock plate, but now I think it is just that the cushioning collapses. (You cannot have both cushioning and long wear.) I have 2 brand new pairs in the closet, standing by - I would not want to be caught without a pair for training and a camino in 2022!

I tried the Altras, which have an excellent wide toe box. But the zero drop seems to bother me. It requires that the foot roll over a bigger angle on that big toe joint. (I haven't read anywhere about this being a problem, but that is how it seemed to me.) My foot does better if I have a bit of lift built into the heel. But everyone is different, should you should give the Altras a try.

For that same reason I have avoided Hokas, even though they are so well cushioned. I stick with the traditional heel drop. I currently use Brooks Ghosts (they come in Wide). They are super-comfortable, but after about 800 km I notice that the cushioning has lessened and I need new pair. Originally I thought that the problem was that they didn't have a rock plate, but now I think it is just that the cushioning collapses. (You cannot have both cushioning and long wear.) I have 2 brand new pairs in the closet, standing by - I would not want to be caught without a pair for training and a camino in 2022!
C clearly, running shoes (all shoes) have a life expectancy of 600 km, so if you got 800 km out of your Ghosts, you did well. I wear Ghosts running and Hokas on my distance walks here at home and am pleased with them both.

Hello 2ctheworld, from Canada's East Coast/PEI! (I walk all year round, including the winter. Snowshoeing will give you great training, albeit different than walking. The Gatineau Hills offer excellent opportunities for snowshoeing as well.)

running shoes (all shoes) have a life expectancy of 600 km, so if you got 800 km out of your Ghosts, you did well.
Yes, I realize it is quite variable and I am stretching the limit by waiting until my feet start getting noticeably sore! But at 50-60 km/week, I would need new shoes every 2-3 months if I stopped at 600, and that is a challenge to my frugality! But seriously, if that is what is takes to keep me walking, it is worth every penny.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everyone,

Hey 2cteworld! My wife and I (also in our glory 50s) have the same plans, so I suppose we'll be seeing you out there! For now, we're gleaning all the forum fun facts as this will [also] be our first long distance walk! Buen Camino!

Yes, I realize it is quite variable and I am stretching the limit by waiting until my feet start getting noticeably sore! But at 50-60 km/week, I would need new shoes every 2-3 months if I stopped at 600, and that is a challenge to my frugality! But seriously, if that is what is takes to keep me walking, it is worth every penny.
My Hokas have over 2000 km on them at this point, C clearly, so I don't prescribe to the recommendation myself! But shoes can start breaking down at some point and 600 km is what we were told is the time to buy new ones when I had my part-time job at a store here that specialized in running gear and races. :)

Bonjour
have a beautiful day
Thank you for that link. I will be walking next April as well but from Le Puy,,, I think. Happy planning!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Try on a lot of different shoes. Go to the New Balance and MEC stores and ask for shoes in Wide and 2E width. I do best with shoes a half size larger but in 2E width.

In January and February, I find parking lots at shopping malls that have been cleared of snow, and I walk the perimeters. They seem a lot safer than trying to walk on dodgy sidewalks.

Welcome to the forum.

I had my part-time job at a store here that specialized in running gear and races.
Could it be that we can get away with more miles while walking, as opposed to the greater stress caused by running? I've never had to replace a choe mid-camino, in spite of walking a number of times in a lightweight Keen watershoe.

The Canadian Company of Pilgrims (www.santiago.ca) has about a dozen chapters nation-wide. While public meetings and training sessions are in abeyance, it's likely local chapters could link you with an experienced pilgrim to answer questions by telephone.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Could it be that we can get away with more miles while walking, as opposed to the greater stress caused by running? I've never had to replace a choe mid-camino, in spite of walking a number of times in a lightweight Keen watershoe.
Possibly, or maybe even probably. But the impact of walking or running placed on a small structure such as a shoe is going to break it down at some point, including the cushioning in the shoe.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.