• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello From Utah

RunningLarge

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello,

Still planning on walking the Camino in September, original plan was 2020, (spoiler alert that didn't happen). So have made reservations for the first 4 nights starting Sep 13, will day by day after that. Watching airfare, starting to lightly fill my pack, and daily training walks.

Have received approval from management for 6 weeks off, was hoping they would say no, would have made my retirement decision easier. Will use it as intended as a walking meditation on my future.

Have had many thoughts on being a vaccinated American, wandering around Spain with those not as fortunate as I. What are peoples thoughts on that? Have a vision of the Rolex wearing, Leica round the neck tourist of the past. Want to be a gracious visitor and a low impact pilgrim.

Hope that this finds all of you well, vaccinated or a plan in place. That Europe heals well, and the world can reopen for all of us.

Buen camino,

Martín - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After I stopped working on August 31, 2018, the first thing I did was the Camino (Frances). I started in SJPdP on September 12, 2018. It was amazing. I hope you have the same experience!

I wanted to do it again in 2020. The universe said "Ha ha!"

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have had many thoughts on being a vaccinated American, wandering around Spain with those not as fortunate as I. What are peoples thoughts on that? Have a vision of the Rolex wearing, Leica round the neck tourist of the past. Want to be a gracious visitor and a low impact pilgrim.
There are a few Leica toting pilgrims ... and lots of us with expensive merino shirts, carbon fiber sticks, fancy trail shoes, high end smartphones, and other extravagant kit. But it's not the "disaster tourism," of privileged people, who breeze through unfortunate communities and snap photos of pitiful locals from the comfort of air-conditioned buses. Besides, Spain is a developed country with good healthcare. By the time you are there, the folks you meet will also have had the opportunity to get vaccinated.

I think that pilgrimage is a comparatively sustainable way to visit Spain. Some of the positives are:
- While pilgrims spend relatively little per day, they spend longer in country (so called "slow tourism")
- They visit rural communities that few tourists do (communities that are/were in decline)
- They spend a relatively large portion of their budget with small and medium sized businesses
- They tend to have interactions with ordinary people.
- They tend to have cultural interests that support restoration and preservation of heritage etc.

It's not all positive, of course:
- More pilgrims need to adopt a "leave no trace" approach
- Where pilgrim numbers have swelled, local economies have become skewed to cater to them
- Tourist industry / tour bus companies have brought a mass-tourism sensibility to the camino
- Big construction has found ways to use camino as a pretext to pay for concrete and steel

Rebekah Scott has written brilliantly about the ebb and flow of the "pilgrim economy," - a long term perspective from someone who has observed the camino transformed from an unfashionable and almost unheard of thing to an almost mainstream form of tourism. I highly recommend seeking out her posts on the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello,

Still planning on walking the Camino in September, original plan was 2020, (spoiler alert that didn't happen). So have made reservations for the first 4 nights starting Sep 13, will day by day after that. Watching airfare, starting to lightly fill my pack, and daily training walks.

Have received approval from management for 6 weeks off, was hoping they would say no, would have made my retirement decision easier. Will use it as intended as a walking meditation on my future.

Hope that this finds all of you well, vaccinated or a plan in place. That Europe heals well, and the world can reopen for all of us.

Buen camino,

Hi, Martin! I'm from St. George; it's fun to see a fellow Utahn on the forum. I've walked the CF (2019) and CP (2018), and consider myself a camino addict, but with little experience compared to many you'll meet here.

It sounds like you're well on your way with your planning and preparation. Kudos regarding your desire to be a culturally sensitive traveler. In my experience, pilgrims tend to leave expensive items at home and, after weeks of hand-washing a handful of clothes, are usually the most shabbily-dressed people in the room. 😏 Pilgrims also can be fairly thrifty in their spending habits, compared to a typical tourist. My guess is that local owners of cafes, shops, albergues, and the like, struggling to survive this difficult time, would be relieved and delighted to host a pilgrim who was able to spend generously while travelling. It's not necessary to "buy" hospitality; one of the graces of the camino is that people are amazingly kind and welcoming without asking a thing. Interacting with the local folks you meet, speaking as much Spanish as you can, and just using good manners (including complying with health and safety measures) will keep people from seeing you as an intrusion. But it seems to me that supporting local economies is a way we pilgrims can give back to our gracious hosts.

Good luck on your camino!

Hello,

Buen camino,

Hello Martin
Also good to see another Utah’n looking forward to experience of a lifetime. I live in Ogden and walked from St. Jean Pied de Port to Finisterre and heading back this summer to walk the Del Norte. You will meet friendly people from all over the world. I found myself in a bind once with a full Alburgue late in the day and a couple from Argentina gave up one of there beds for me. I did not realize it until the next morning when I put two and two together as I saw them sleeping together on a single bed. They wouldn’t even except me buying them breakfast. I payed it forward a few weeks later with a young Italian on a budget.
I’m kind of a gear guy and spend a little money on light good clothing and equipment but that’s just me. My tip is nylon and Marino wool. Cloths that dry fast after washing. September should be perfect!
wallace

Hello,

Buen camino,

Martin there are many Pilgrims living in Utah, most members of APOC. If you want of need anything contact me. Willy Littig

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello from Murray Utah, Martin. I have walked many times in September/October in Spain and Portugal and feel it is the perfect time to walk. Buen Camino and let me know if you need any help, have any questions, or just want to talk.

Mike

Martin...Cedar City here. Walked from Burgos to Carrion, bus to Ligo, then hikes to Santiago in2018. Looking to pick up some missing miles this September. Wife has granted me 3+ weeis, so won’t go as far as you...I hear the Camino calling!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello,

Buen camino,

Hey Martin,
I'm from Layton UT. I plan on returning in September. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. I've completed 7 caminos thus far. Returning for #8.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.