• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help...arriving madrid friday wondering which camino to hike given the heat and limited endurance

monicad

Time of past OR future Camino
first walking early august
Hi planning to hike first Camino with my daughter and son. We are to arrive this friday and were planning to start in pamplona. I just saw the weather forecast and see very high temperatures for the whole week. We have two weeks to walk and am wondering if we should change our plans and instead head for the north or primitive way. I dont do well in the heat! Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with @nycwalking.

Probably changing the starting point to LeĂłn or even Astorga would be a good idea - closer to Santiago, good infrastructure and the proximity to Galicia (where there is a slightly better chance of rain).
Then you can walk less each day, only during the cooler parts of the day, and enjoy the cities or rest when it's hot.

Also, how old are your daughter and son? If they are small kids, the heat can be even worse for them and walking less would be really recommended.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I see your concern. The whole of Europe is suffering or enjoying a long heatwave - Actually, it is global I think.
Pack super-light, the less weight you carry the easier it will be. You will find that Camino walking is not that many hours each day really so were you to start in the cool of just after dawn you could end your day by noon. The main heat time is 1pm until about 4pm - but then, this is what a siesta is for!!

The forecast is mid to high 30's C. I walked on the Meseta last year in the same temperature and it was fine - just that 1pm until 4 or 5pm that was baking. Mind you, I used a long handled umbrella - you won't believe the difference it makes as a sun parasol! (Long handled or your arm will be up in the air all the time!).

2017-06-09 13.47.04 (600 x 450).jpg

I say stay with your original plan and just take it easy. All will be well. (but do pack super-light).

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi,

I would not Change to the Primitivo, as it does not allow short stages and has some very steep ascents or decents. The Norte could be fine, it also has more infrastructure. Another option is the Portuguese from Porto, probably not the Interior or Central but the Coastal Route.

The most important thing: do not start too late in the morning. Better aim to walk 20 km before noon. A headlight might be useful if you want to start really early.

Last year I did the Portugese Central at the beginning of August with temperatures up to 38°C, this June the Primitivo with some days with similar temperatures. It is fine, to start early in the morning, at about 6 o'clock with first sight and to be in the alberge at about two o'clock, having a cold shower or even a siesta.

BC
Alexandra

This is from El Pais; useful information about where it is expected be worst:
The heat wave will begin in the southwest of the peninsula and extend throughout the rest of the territory until Sunday at least.

The regions worst hit by the heat will be Extremadura, Castilla La-Mancha, Andalusia, Madrid, the Levante area, the Ebro Valley and the Balearic Islands, Del Campo told the EFE news agency. Only the Canary Islands and parts of northern Spain are expected to be spared.
What parts of Northern Spain is not so clear from the article, but here is a map:
Avoid the pink areas - so it looks like the NE part of the country will be marginally cooler. So starting in Pamplona seems sensible.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    702.8 KB · Views: 17
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
From Madrid chanmartin station .. you can just take a train to Leon -stay the night and explore the city and then walk from Leon to Santiago -it's about two weeks -give or take a day or two . Camino Frances has got really good infrastructure -lots of albergues , hotels. , bars , places to stop etc and it would most likely be ideal for your time frame . Good luck with whatever decision you make . I wish you well . Buen Camino

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Start in Leon. There are many swimming pools between
Leon and Santiago. Off hand, I know you can find them in Leon, Hospital de Orbigo, Astorga, Acebo, Ponferrada..and more on the way. . There are also natural swimming places. See older thread
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/places-to-swim-along-camino-frances.18258/

Start early in the morning...even before sun up when it should be cooler. Start at 5 am . Make it more of an adventure. Bring good head lamps for all. Stop early on the day...by abt 10 am. Consider air condition accommodations for the week. The comfort will be worth it!. Swim and have fun! Carry extra water.
Buen Camino.

In Madrid, it continues to get hot until about 6-7pm, but sunset is late, about 9 so temps drop slowly. Starting Friday, Madrid temps are in liw 100s. You could do the Ingles to Santiago then with the extra time, continue on to Finisterra &/or Muxia. It will certainly be cooler up north. If you want air conditioning while you walk, I suggest reserving ahead as you go. Will you stay overnight in Madrid?

I see your concern. The whole of Europe is suffering or enjoying a long heatwave - Actually, it is global I think.
Pack super-light, the less weight you carry the easier it will be. You will find that Camino walking is not that many hours each day really so were you to start in the cool of just after dawn you could end your day by noon. The main heat time is 1pm until about 4pm - but then, this is what a siesta is for!!

The forecast is mid to high 30's C. I walked on the Meseta last year in the same temperature and it was fine - just that 1pm until 4 or 5pm that was baking. Mind you, I used a long handled umbrella - you won't believe the difference it makes as a sun parasol! (Long handled or your arm will be up in the air all the time!).

View attachment 45107

I say stay with your original plan and just take it easy. All will be well. (but do pack super-light).

Buen Camino!

David, so sorry to take this off topic, but I haven’t been on most of the Francés in more than a decade. Is that concrete path typical of what the central part of the camino has become? I know the Xunta has put crushed gravel paths from one end of Galicia to the next, but I didn´t know that hard concretre paving was par for the course elsewhere. This picture ought to be posted in the shoe stores when pilgrims go to buy their footwear. Hiking boots? Hiking shoes? Are you kidding me?

This heat is no joke, that´s for sure. I walked once in France with high temps like this and early departures are the only way to go. Now people should not be complaining when the early risers wake them up well before dawn! Stay hydrated, everyone. Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
David, so sorry to take this off topic, but I haven’t been on most of the Francés in more than a decade. Is that concrete path typical of what the central part of the camino has become? I know the Xunta has put crushed gravel paths from one end of Galicia to the next, but I didn´t know that hard concretre paving was par for the course elsewhere. This picture ought to be posted in the shoe stores when pilgrims go to buy their footwear. Hiking boots? Hiking shoes? Are you kidding me?

This heat is no joke, that´s for sure. I walked once in France with high temps like this and early departures are the only way to go. Now people should not be complaining when the early risers wake them up well before dawn! Stay hydrated, everyone. Buen camino, Laurie

hi there - that photo was taken just after the huge hill out of Castrojeriz .... yes, a long long concrete path. It is steeper going down than it looks, you can see where it drops away, and they may have placed it there so there would be no skidding on loose gravelly stuff? Quite a lot of it has been "improved" now ... but still vast sections as it always was. (You can still sink a foot deep in Navarre and Rioja if it rains heavily ;) ).

Footwear? I always wear Keen Newport hiking sandals and never ever have a problem (touch wood).

I have so many foot casualties who reluctantly give up their boots and have to walk in their 'evening' sandals and are amazed to find they have no more problems.

I have so many foot casualties who reluctantly give up their boots and have to walk in their 'evening' sandals and are amazed to find they have no more problems.
The above paragraph may look a little strange to some but once you've been on the forum for awhile you will have learned that David is a Camino angel who supplies foot care to pilgrims. The cart carries his gear. Thanks David.

The above paragraph may look a little strange to some but once you've been on the forum for awhile you will have learned that David is a Camino angel who supplies foot care to pilgrims. The cart carries his gear. Thanks David.

Ah, thanks - must have sounded a little weird - yep, the whole first aid thing (but I am no angel ;) )

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back