• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help! Current Entry Requirements for US Citizen

hokiebobwise

July '23 (CF/Astorga)
Time of past OR future Camino
CF/Astorga July 2023
Good afternoon,

I am packed (6.7lbs not including food/water) and ready to leave the US for Madrid on July 2nd. I've been monitoring the conditions for entry to Spain and there were two items that are, to me, unclear and I am hoping someone whose traveled to Madrid, or other Spanish airports, from outside the EU within the last few weeks could help respond.

1. Documents accrediting the purpose and conditions of the planned stay -> I already have my pilgrim passport, has anyone used this as an accrediting purpose? the first bullet mentions a return ticket, but the other items on their site leads me to believe that just proves I'm not staying forever.

2. Accreditation of financial means
"At the request of the competent authorities, the traveler must present proof of having sufficient financial means for the proposed stay or of the ability to legally obtain such means.

In 2020, the minimum amount required is 90 euros per person per day. In any case, and regardless of the length of stay, the traveler must have at least 810 euros or its equivalent in foreign currency.

Economic means may be accredited by presenting cash, traveler's cheques, a credit card accompanied by a bank account statement, an up-to-date bank book, or any other resource that accredits the amount available, such as a credit statement regarding the card or bank account. Bank letters or online bank statements will not be accepted."

Do they really validate/require the money? My son and I will be in country for 15 days and i'm bringing enough cash to last us 7 to 10 days and plan to withdraw more as needed -> luckily the first 3 places I booked take credit cards and I plan to use that whenever possible.

Thanks,

Bob

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have travelled from the UK to Spain and France several times since the UK left the EU and have not been asked for anything more than my passport. Theoretically I could be asked for evidence of booked onward travel, sufficient funds and reserved accommodation but it has not happened yet. I usually travel without booking my return journey. However travelling from the US you might find a problem if you have no return travel booked as someone posted a few months ago that they were denied boarding in the US for that reason: Post in thread 'Flights home after Camino' https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/flights-home-after-camino.79224/post-1115250

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have travelled from the UK to Spain and France several times since the UK left the EU and have not been asked for anything more than my passport. Theoretically I could be asked for evidence of booked onward travel, sufficient funds and reserved accommodation but it has not happened yet. I usually travel without booking my return journey. However travelling from the US you might find a problem if you have no return travel booked as someone posted a few months ago that they were denied boarding in the US for that reason: Post in thread 'Flights home after Camino' https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/flights-home-after-camino.79224/post-1115250
Thanks for sending. I am a planner thus I have planned all of my trains (Madrid to Leon to Astorga) and then SdC to Madrid, plus the hotel stay in Madrid. I'm hoping that will be sufficient, although the more I look in to things the more it sounds like I may never want to leave the country. Alas, there is always an option to plan a return trip. For those reading up my planning, do know that I fully plan to release the plans once I leave Rabanal, from there to Santiago it will be more about what is in front of us and how we feel vs. needing to get to place A by a set time. No pre-booking rooms, we will let the Camino decide where we lay down for the night.

Here’s a recent thread on this topic — the OP was a UK resident, but some posts cover the USA as well. I think it will answer your questions —

I just returned to the US after walking the Camino de Madrid, my fifth Camino, and I’ve never been questioned about why I was coming to Spain, how I would support myself, or where I would stay. As pointed out, countries around the world reserve the right to ask for this information, but they don’t do it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I flew into Madrid in late March from Australia.
Only needed my Passport..........

Eleven caminos and all they ever asked for in Paris or Barcelona (places where my aircraft landed) was for my passport. About half the time I was asked where in Spain I would be going/ what I was planning to do, and my response got me a Buen Camino.

Flown a dozen times into/out of the EU and UK in the past year. No questions at all, just a stamp in my passport (and not even that in the automated UK gates!). Have no fear! And in the rarest of rare occasions that they do ask, having a line of credit on your credit card will suffice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do they really validate/require the money
Normally, no. I have occasionally been asked the purpose of my trip, but I have never been asked to show proof of my financial means.

These or similar requirements have existed since I started to travel to Europe 50 years ago. The immigration authority in any country can ask whatever they want before deciding to let you enter. The information you quote is guidance for what they might expect. If you enter the country like millions of other visitors, and they have no reason to be suspicious of your ability to support yourself and get yourself home, then it is extremely unlikely they will ask for proof. Even if they did, your credit cards and/or bank cards should be sufficient.

People have raised the question of having a return ticket. Again, in theory, immigration authorities might require it as proof that you can/intend to leave the country as expected. More likely, though, is that the airline would question that, because they will be responsible for flying you home if your are denied entry (an extremely unlikely event).

This question is raised regularly on the forum. This thread has now been tagged with "travel documents/insurance". If you click on that tag under the title of this post, glance through the threads and you will quickly find several threads on the topic.

If I can add to the chorus here, I have only been asked twice to show evidence of booked return travel from somewhere in the last two decades of international travel, and never been asked to show evidence of financial means, and never been asked for either entering the Schengen Zone. Immigration officials in the UK have sometimes asked why I am visiting, which might go to their choice of entry conditions applied at the time.

It seems to me that these are rules that can be applied selectively should there be any suspicion that you will attempt to become a burden on one of the Schengen states, and they would want to avoid that. I would also suspect that it is used more for visitors from certain countries than others, and that most of the forum members aren't travelling from those countries.

Last edited:
My wife and I spent 3 weeks in April. We landed in Madrid with only our U.S. passports, our packs and had a wonderful Camino Portugués. Some great advice we received was don’t over think it let it happen. 😁

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As long as you are not arriving on an Aeroflot flight you should have no problems. Also, not mentioned above, do not forget to take your birth certificate.

You just need your US passport. Maybe bring a copy of your Covid vaccines just incase you get sick.
Portuguese Camino May 2-8, 2023.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good afternoon,

I am packed (6.7lbs not including food/water) and ready to leave the US for Madrid on July 2nd. I've been monitoring the conditions for entry to Spain and there were two items that are, to me, unclear and I am hoping someone whose traveled to Madrid, or other Spanish airports, from outside the EU within the last few weeks could help respond.

1. Documents accrediting the purpose and conditions of the planned stay -> I already have my pilgrim passport, has anyone used this as an accrediting purpose? the first bullet mentions a return ticket, but the other items on their site leads me to believe that just proves I'm not staying forever.

"At the request of the competent authorities, the traveler must present proof of having sufficient financial means for the proposed stay or of the ability to legally obtain such means.

In 2020, the minimum amount required is 90 euros per person per day. In any case, and regardless of the length of stay, the traveler must have at least 810 euros or its equivalent in foreign currency.

Economic means may be accredited by presenting cash, traveler's cheques, a credit card accompanied by a bank account statement, an up-to-date bank book, or any other resource that accredits the amount available, such as a credit statement regarding the card or bank account. Bank letters or online bank statements will not be accepted."

Do they really validate/require the money? My son and I will be in country for 15 days and i'm bringing enough cash to last us 7 to 10 days and plan to withdraw more as needed -> luckily the first 3 places I booked take credit cards and I plan to use that whenever possible.

Thanks,

Bob
I just returned to the US from a 17 day June Camino trip. No one asked me for any details about my stay or my money, nor anything about immunizations.

Good afternoon,

Thanks,

Bob
Ignore those.

They’re just the obscure conditions that immigration will use to deny entry to the very few people they can’t currently find a better reason for.

You need a passport and the ability to count up to 90 days.

Good afternoon,

Thanks,

Bob
so it seems everyone has answered you. But what I want to know is how you managed only 6.7 lbs. Can you share your packing list!! No one has ever mentioned such a low weight that I have seen. Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The last time a “competent authority” in Spain asked me to prove I had sufficient means he “confiscated” half of it. But that was 1968. I think things have got a little more relaxed since then
I too "lost" some money during the Franco regime. Corruption was rampant. As a US citizen I guess I was an easy target for the mafia-esque policía.

Thank God I'm in the EU and have my bank accounts readily on display on my phone. I am good to go :cool:

But in 20 years of visiting many countries in Europe, including 15 years in Spain, I have never been asked. Relax.

The rules are given to weed out at landing "tourists" from poorer countries actually intending an illegal immigration from legitimate tourists. If you are from a country where a passport does not have to be stamped with a visa prior to your departure from home you can expect little trouble.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
so it seems everyone has answered you. But what I want to know is how you managed only 6.7 lbs. Can you share your packing list!! No one has ever mentioned such a low weight that I have seen.
Well, I went back to my list and realized I forgot to convert from KG (one section was lbs and the other kg)......oh boy. I have it at 13lbs, and hoping to shed some extra weight when I adjust some miscellaneous items.

I was asked once, in Madrid, if I had a return ticket and if I brought enough money for the trip. I showed the ticket and said "some cash and a credit card", and that was good enough of an answer for the officer at immigration.
My guess is that they do it randomly, or maybe when they identify some sort of "riskier" profile. At that occasion I was a young female travelling with little luggage and a South American passport. They may have been doubtful I had spiritual purposes for my trip.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Update. I wore my shell while traveling from the states, as I didn't want to risk it breaking in my pack. I arrived at the customs agent, as he took my passport he asked if I was here for Camino. Once I said yes he scanned the passport and then motioned to move on. Also, my official pack weight is 13.7lbs, less water. When finished I'll put out my lost, along with what I "released" in the proper forum. Today, we ride to Astorga and begin walking Wednesday, July 5.

Bob

The last time a “competent authority” in Spain asked me to prove I had sufficient means he “confiscated” half of it. But that was 1968. I think things have got a little more relaxed since then

I never said so now saying: you’re humor cracks me up.

Also, at times, needed.

Thanks for the chuckles.

Update. I wore my shell while traveling from the states, as I didn't want to risk it breaking in my pack. I arrived at the customs agent, as he took my passport he asked if I was here for Camino. Once I said yes he scanned the passport and then motioned to move on. Also, my official pack weight is 13.7lbs, less water. When finished I'll put out my lost, along with what I "released" in the proper forum. Today, we ride to Astorga and begin walking Wednesday, July 5.

Bob
I got my first 'Buen Camino' of my pilgrimage from the customs officer on arrival. :)

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back