• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help for 100lb ( 45 kg) woman. what backpack to use?

brooklyngirl813

Time of past OR future Camino
August to September (2013)
I'm a petite 100lb. (45kg) woman travelling alone for 5 weeks from SJPDP to Santiago then to Finesterre from Aug. to Sept. 2013. I will be staying at the albuerges. I need advise on the best lightweight backpack to use. Should I get the 30L? I can only carry 10lbs including water and food. I also need advise on packing list. I have to limit only the most essential that most people can't live without. I can buy stuff there. I also don't mind paying more money as long as everything is lightweight. I know they have baggage transfer service but I'm not sure if I want to do this. I want to experience true backpacking as this is something I've never done before.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Brooklyngirl,

Try having a look at these as a start. I know a handful of people who have bought these or their earlier models and have all been happy. They are not the largest and will certainly make you think about what you pack :D

http://www.kelty.com/showproduct.aspx?P ... et-30-2012

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/osprey-w ... colour=161

http://www.kelty.com/p-573-womens-impact-30.aspx

By the way - a quick look at messages on this forum might suggest you will not actually be alone on your Camino unless you want to be.

Osprey Hornet 32 seems like a good option, and the one I will bring next. Very comfy and lightweight at 580 grams. In regards to backpacks height is more important than weight.

Last year i walked june / july with a backpack 500 grams heavier and sleeping bag at 500 grams on top of that and still managed to stay well under 5 kilos (excluding water) so it is quite doable

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for the info. Im glad that this is indeed doable. Im checking these bags out online. I'm also going to the store to see how it fits me.

I have high praise for the Gregory Deva packs for women. Gregory packs really are built well for women, never had a back or shoulder ache with mine.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Pieces said:
In regards to backpacks height is more important than weight.

While I agree with the point you're making good pack companies make a range of lengths. It's not really height that matters but torso length.

OP if you're going by the 10% rule of thumb remember that's for "average". At 100lbs you're likely thinner then average. Basically you're likely stronger per pound then average.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For a unique and quite different backpack that feels wonderful (used by me now on the last five Caminos) see these - designed by a physiotherapist :
http://www.aarnpacks.com/products/feath ... eedom.html

When I first started using Aarn packs I left off the balance pockets because I thought them too weird but now I (and spouse) do. They are sooooo useful and comfortable.

The smaller Mountain Magic pack might also work for you.

Let me address a few points raised by the OP:
brooklyngirl813 said:
I can only carry 10lbs including water and food.
If this is referring to the 10% of body weight target, my interpretation of the base weight advice is that it does not include water and food, although there are others who will say otherwise. I also prefer using a from the skin out target, which accounts for all that you are wearing and carrying. If you use 20% FSO, you have a total weight budget of 9kg. If you are wearing 2kg, have a litre of water and 500g of snacks for the next day or so (3.5kg) your residual is 5.5kg. A 30li pack could weigh as little as 600gm for an unframed pack, or around 1.3kg for a framed back, leaving between 4.9kg and 4.2kg for contents to stay within the target.
brooklyngirl813 said:
Should I get the 30L?
I have found that for a camino load, a packing density of 190gm/li works well enough - tight, but not too tight. I have achieved up to 240gm/li, but that is really tight and puts the pack under a lot of pressure. Doing that with an unframed pack leads to quite a lot of distortion with bulges in all the wrong places. I suspect it can be done with a framed pack without altering the carrying characteristics too much. On that basis, a 4.9kg load would need a minimum of 26li capacity for an unframed pack, while a 4.2kg load might be able to be stuffed into a framed pack of around 20li, although I wouldn't recommend that. Overall, it would seem to me that a 30li pack would be an acceptable choice.
brooklyngirl813 said:
I want to experience true backpacking as this is something I've never done before.
The camino is not really a 'true backpacking' experience. You might decide to carry enough food for a couple of meals in case you want to have lunch somewhere remote from a bar or shop, or want to prepare a meal. On the Camino Frances, you don't need to be self-sufficient for much longer than half a day or so in reality, and you certainly don't need to camp, cook, collect and treat water, etc on the Camino.

If you haven't been back-packing before, and this is your first camino, be a little cautious about cutting down too much weight at the start until you have some better understanding of what you personally need. There is always the option of posting home items you determine you can do without, or just leaving them behind. That is not to suggest that you go overboard, although you won't have too much opportunity to do that if you stick with a pack of 30li or slightly less.

Regards,

You have already received good advice regarding backpacks. The next heaviest / bulkiest thing to consider is the sleeping bag. Even in August / September you will night one when staying in the albergues. But the good news is that it doesn't need to be a very warm one. And as I assume that with 100lb you are also not too tall, it might pay out looking in children's sleeping bags also. You should aim as a max weight of a pound, one like this one for example: http://www.amazon.com/Ledge-Sports-Feat ... 0016AQ746/
Hope that helps, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
yes, even more confusing ig the weight actually is 1,5 kg and they still call it light weight :lol:

they wouldn't be the first tho...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
:lol: The heaviest sleeping bag I got is 1,5 kg, it's from Mammut and the name suits it.

About ultra light gear:
Ok I haven't bought anything from this website myself:
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/home.html

But I think it's great because they have lots of good brands and you can see how many grams everything is.
I bought a jacket of the same kind as they got there (Montane), but mine is even lighter (86 gram in its pack bag). I can really recommend it because its warm enough when walking and it folds down to the size of an apple.

Even Decalthon has lighter bags for not much. My 15C bag is I think 700 grams and less then €40. I'm guessing a shorter woman would get lost inside it.

The bag also is fairly small in the pack.

Hi Brooklyngirl,

I'm not sure if your height, but my weight is about the same as yours...I am just under 5' tall, and used a Soloman backpack...30l. Without water or food, my pack weighed about 13 lbs. when I started and had no problems...never ditched anything, and added only a small amout of water and food. You can buy both at so many places along the way if you are walking the Frances, that it is not really necessary to carry a lot. I found that the Osprey packs just did not fit my body well...be sure to get properly fitted.
Marilyn

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Brooklyngirl. Look into the Gosamer backpacks. The one I have weigh 10 oz.

Also I'm assuming you're in the Brooklyn area. If you are, join our local NY chapter of the Americans on the Camino. We have weekly events and quite a few Camino veterans that can give you practical advice.

You can find us under local chapters on the American Pilgrims on the Camino website.

I go with the Gossamer Gear packs also. Take a look at the Kumo pack, check out the "deals" section as they have some show packs on sale. Also check out Sectionhiker. Com for tips and independent reviews from the Ultra light world. Target your pack and sleeping system (bag and pad) for no more than 6 pounds and try for 4 or 5 or less.

Thank you everyone for your reply. It's very helpful. I went to TEnt and trails Store in NYC to buy my gear and tried different types . I ended up getting the Osprey Exos 34. It's 0.70Kg. I liked the air speed suspension which provides ventilation. I'm thinking this will come in very handy since Im doing the Camino during Summer. I started training today by walking across the brooklyn bridge and around the city for 3- 4 miles. My bag weighed 13lbs. It felt very light. Maybe I can carry more.
SYates said:
The next heaviest / bulkiest thing to consider is the sleeping bag.
I ended up buying the mountain hardware Lamina 45 sleeping bag because they have a short size (72in). Its 731 g. I still did not get the sleeping pad. Is the pad really an absolute necessity?
nincha said:
Also I'm assuming you're in the Brooklyn area. If you are, join our local NY chapter of the Americans on the Camino. We have weekly events and quite a few Camino veterans that can give you practical advice.
You can find us under local chapters on the American Pilgrims on the Camino website.
That's great. Thank you for the info. I'm definitely joining the NY chapter.

€149,-
Great on joining the chapter! We have a BBQ at Brooklyn Bridge Park this Saturday. Details are on the MeetUp page. Hope to see ya there!
Damian

brooklyngirl813 said:
... I still did not get the sleeping pad. Is the pad really an absolute necessity? ...

No, not at all. A sleeping pad is nice to have, sometimes, for siestas during the day or for sitting on in coolish weather, but it is more a commodity / luxury and when, as in your case, every gram counts - should stay at home, imo. SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A sleeping pad is only necessary if you plan to camp. Or arrive in Santiago the week ending 25 July. In Holy Year 2004 we needed sleeping pads for the last week when we were sleeping on gymnasium floors, army tents and one night on bare ground. With about a million others. But it was fun, like a week long party culminating in the most spectacular emotional night in Praza do Obradeiro.

If you decide you must have a pad....don't buy one..just pick one up from the free boxes in Roncevalles or Pamplona. The most common thing to be discarded early on the Camino 8)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pieces said:
Osprey Hornet 32 seems like a good option, and the one I will bring next. Very comfy and lightweight at 580 grams.
If memory serves me right Pieces you took a Talon 44 last time as did I. Comfy enough but a perhaps little large. I am considering the Hornet 32 so tks for the review.

Regds
Gerard

yes I took the tallon twice, very happy with it, but also as I have had major issues with pains on both caminos the weight is crucial (even if my ankle is now back in it's proper place) so the tallon goes in favor of the 500 gram reduction :)

This should get me down to just over 4kgs

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey Ya! :D I'm feeling that you might be (or not) holding yourself to the 10% rule?... or maybe just being a bit to hard on yourself..... some else mentioned that for us lighter people we should be averagly stronger compared to body mass/fat compared to people who are heavier.... thinking that people that are up around 80-90kg have to carry a greater body mass as well as their packs to carry. For those heavier people the 10% rule is no probs - their packs aiming to be 8-9kg..... I'm 55kg, there is NO WAY I am holding myself to having a pack weighing 5.5kg.... but I am a bit on the fitter side and have a very active life style and am used to having a expedition pack on my back.... I'm aiming for 7-8kg pack, thinking its nothing I cant alter whilst on my way.....

The '10% Rule' can NOT be taken too literal - it just dosnt work on a relative scale.... for example a persons sleeping bag who weighs 50kg is not going to be half a light as someone who weighs 100kg - right????

Also concerning pack size.... you DONT have to have the smallest pack, you can get some SUPER light weight 55,60,65l packs ... rememebering you dont have to fill it!.... and all going well thru the walk you can load up (or off-load)on things that you then choose to carry.
Im taking a LoweAlpine65l and its not going to be anywhere near full.... but its what I'm used too, its perfectly set up for my frame with all the weight being supported with the large harness on my hips :lol:

I'm also small at 5'2" and 115 pounds. I have a long torso and some bags just weren't comfortable. I took a Deuter ACT Trail 24 pack and a Deuter Dreamlight 500 sleeping bag. The pack sat perfectly on my hips and was comfortable. Though the 24 might seem small, it was adequate for me. I carried approximately 15 pounds before water and snacks. Hope this is helpful! Have fun!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back