• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help from past/present pilgrims: A dog in Manjarín?

gracieb

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (June-July 2014)
Hi there!

I haven't been on this forum in quite some time, but this just popped into my head. Quite a random question, but I figured you people might be able to help out :)

My friend and I completed the Camino Frances in June and July of 2014 when we were 18 years old. Needless to say, it was the most incredible experience of my life, and I still reflect on it and think about it nearly every day, speaking with all the incredible people I met at least a few times a month!

But here is a bit of a random question--my friend Jordan and I passed through Manjarin, a tiny village right after the Cruz de Ferro. It was teensy--not even sure if the word "village" would adequately describe it--really just one small albergue right off the path still up in the mountains several kilometers after the cross. I remember it had many colorful flags and definitely a hippyish vibe :)

Anyways, there was a dog there. And my friend and I fell in love with this dog!! I don't know why, but he really tugged on our heart strings in an intense way and we still talk about him nearly every day. He was the sweetest boy and really seemed like an angel to us during this tough time in our journey haha (we both broke our feet). I was wondering if anyone has passed through recently, or will be passing through, and could keep an eye out for this dog? Has anyone else met him? Also, any doggo experts know the breed on this sweet guy? Does anyone know of a way of contacting the people at this albergue directly?

Obviously I have been dreaming of this pup for a couple years now
;)

Buen camino, friends!
10491234_10201360962745091_8644474767376089735_n.jpg
10527762_10201331631691833_2826433125727715173_n.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 10.48.58 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 10.48.32 AM.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last time I was at Manjarin (a couple of weeks ago) there were SEVEN dogs! I will copy your photo and ask Tomas if this guy is still around, and what his name is..

Amazing!!! Thank you so much!

Yes, I remember there being a litter of kittens there as well when we visited :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hope this is not the came critter12650818_479407168915287_5176420005900275788_n.jpg . This photo is from the FaceBook page of the Manjarin albergue, showing how rough the weather is up there. I've left a comment saying how I feel about this...

Last September when I was in Fonfria there was a German Shepard type dog on a chain near the path to the place we had the communal dinner. He was obviously a dog that worked for a living protecting and moving stock. On the way to dinner myself and another pilgrim both grabbed a stick and threw it to the dog and played with him briefly. After dinner as I got back to the albergue, there the dog was out front (guess he got some free time in the evenings) with a large stick in his mouth and he insisted I play with him which I did for over an hour, throwing the stick to him and chasing after him in my flip-flop sandals and tired feet (I did burn off the bottle wine I had with dinner). Every time I tried to stop and go into the albergue, he would block the door with the stick in his mouth. He was a big (probably 50-60 kilos) powerful dog, with a dark, mostly black coat. Finally it started to get dark and I told him I had to go, and went inside.
I definitely fell in love with that dog. He was to me the perfect kind. Big, strong working breed and intelligent. In all likelihood gentle, but very loyal and protective. The next morning I was half hoping he would be outside waiting for me, but alas no. I'm sure he had a time clock to punch that day, and did not have the luxury of being a roaming pilgrim like me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Seeing dogs on chains with half-chewed-on baguettes lying around was one of the hardest parts of my journey in Spain. I am terribly attached to animals, and I know how inappropriate it is to judge how some animals are treated, but judge I did.

Last September when I was in Fonfria there was a German Shepard type dog on a chain near the path to the place we had the communal dinner. He was obviously a dog that worked for a living protecting and moving stock. On the way to dinner myself and another pilgrim both grabbed a stick and threw it to the dog and played with him briefly. After dinner as I got back to the albergue, there the dog was out front (guess he got some free time in the evenings) with a large stick in his mouth and he insisted I play with him which I did for over an hour, throwing the stick to him and chasing after him in my flip-flop sandals and tired feet (I did burn off the bottle wine I had with dinner). Every time I tried to stop and go into the albergue, he would block the door with the stick in his mouth. He was a big (probably 50-60 kilos) powerful dog, with a dark, mostly black coat. Finally it started to get dark and I told him I had to go, and went inside.
I definitely fell in love with that dog. He was to me the perfect kind. Big, strong working breed and intelligent. In all likelihood gentle, but very loyal and protective. The next morning I was half hoping he would be outside waiting for me, but alas no. I'm sure he had a time clock to punch that day, and did not have the luxury of being a roaming pilgrim like me.

That's a beautiful dog. Very friendly and just loves pilgrims! He actually belongs to the owners of the albergue and the only reason he is on that (very long) chain is that without it he will follow pilgrims for miles. They have even had calls from albergues in Sarria - luckily he's well-known and recognised! He's much loved by his owners, and goes home with them each night. When we were there his new best friend was a tiny fluffy white kitten, who was teasing him unmercifully and being treated with great good humour by the dog! He is half German Shepherd and half Spanish Mastiff - hence the very considerable size and enormous head!

That's a beautiful dog. Very friendly and just loves pilgrims! He actually belongs to the owners of the albergue and the only reason he is on that (very long) chain is that without it he will follow pilgrims for miles. They have even had calls from albergues in Sarria - luckily he's well-known and recognised! He's much loved by his owners, and goes home with them each night. When we were there his new best friend was a tiny fluffy white kitten, who was teasing him unmercifully and being treated with great good humour by the dog! He is half German Shepherd and half Spanish Mastiff - hence the very considerable size and enormous head!
Yes, that white cat was there and apparently jealous and would jump on the dog's back or try to take the stick away while we were playing. The stick was way too big for the cat to even attempt to snatch up, ha ha.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Whenever I think of taking adavatage of my Spanish citizenship to move to more clement temps and closer to the Camino I remember its poor animal husbandry and stay put. Would not take a dog to live in Spain.

:( this is not good
A situation not only on the Camino but all over Spain. We have seen big dogs on small chains just running around a pole literally going insane.on 2 occasions we have had lovely dogs follow us and on one occasion wwaiting all night in the rain for us. We were getting desperate as to what to do when the owners from miles away turned up. Another time a dog followed us all day until we got to a village, bought it a tin of dog food and as we were getting the bus home, the bus driver knew him, let him hop on with us and back to our destination and off he went. I guess this dog liked meeting new people and getting a free meal!!! Not a silly dog! So now, unless a dog is obviously hungry,we don't feed them. Dogs will often follow people as the can smell any food in the backpack. Mind you, we always feed the cats as there are so many hungry ones around and never seem to be neutered. Those that are cruel to animals either by omission or commission should be severely punished and it happens everywhere. My niece is an ISPCA inspector in Ireland and I cannot listen to the stories of cruelty that she has to encounter on a daily basis as it makes feel sick and even murderous towards the owners. Still it's nice to hear the NICE stories above and the original thread.

Early on during my CF in Sept/Oct, there was the sweetest puppy that perhaps some others here had also seen. The story goes that this little guy had been dumped from a vehicle and left abandoned. A lovely young man (most everyone is young to me:) from Italy picked him up - long story short, managed to get him to a vet for necessary shots, made a leash for him, named him Santiago and they continued to Santiago together. It was lovely to meet up with them periodically and see how close they had become. The plan was to take Santiago home with him back to Italy. I do hope it worked out that way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I was a kid I lived on a ranch. Our working dogs were on a chain at night and released during the day due to big cats that killed dogs. They had dog houses but rarely slept in them. Many times they would dig out a bed in the snow and sleep there. They ate good no store bought food for them. In the US most keep there dogs in the house and that is ok if you like a house that smells like dog, like ours does. By the way we used bath our ranch dogs, they shake off the water and roll in cow poop.

In the US most keep there dogs in the house and that is ok if you like a house that smells like dog

Or worse. At 4:30 this morning my dog found out that skunks aren't just big squirrels. I hope it is a lesson learned. Fortunately he doesn't smell too bad. He's been confined to the bathroom until I get the courage to give him a bath.

I missed the dog and he missed the walk but he was very upset with us for disappearing for a few months. I had to be content with playing with other dogs but only one was friendly enough until we got west of Astorga and into farm country. Not only did I give this thread's topic dog attention but another one of Tomas's dogs, a big white one. His dog house was being re-shingled with stones the day Peg and I showed up.

Hi there!

I haven't been on this forum in quite some time, but this just popped into my head. Quite a random question, but I figured you people might be able to help out :)

My friend and I completed the Camino Frances in June and July of 2014 when we were 18 years old. Needless to say, it was the most incredible experience of my life, and I still reflect on it and think about it nearly every day, speaking with all the incredible people I met at least a few times a month!

But here is a bit of a random question--my friend Jordan and I passed through Manjarin, a tiny village right after the Cruz de Ferro. It was teensy--not even sure if the word "village" would adequately describe it--really just one small albergue right off the path still up in the mountains several kilometers after the cross. I remember it had many colorful flags and definitely a hippyish vibe :)

Anyways, there was a dog there. And my friend and I fell in love with this dog!! I don't know why, but he really tugged on our heart strings in an intense way and we still talk about him nearly every day. He was the sweetest boy and really seemed like an angel to us during this tough time in our journey haha (we both broke our feet). I was wondering if anyone has passed through recently, or will be passing through, and could keep an eye out for this dog? Has anyone else met him? Also, any doggo experts know the breed on this sweet guy? Does anyone know of a way of contacting the people at this albergue directly?

Obviously I have been dreaming of this pup for a couple years now
;)

Buen camino, friends!
View attachment 24039
View attachment 24040

View attachment 24041 View attachment 24042

Gracieb.... simply awesome. But hey, YOU look absolutely delighted and that made me smile. I hope you two meet soon. Buen Camino :) Caesar

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
When I was a kid I lived on a ranch. Our working dogs were on a chain at night and released during the day due to big cats that killed dogs. They had dog houses but rarely slept in them. Many times they would dig out a bed in the snow and sleep there. They ate good no store bought food for them. In the US most keep there dogs in the house and that is ok if you like a house that smells like dog, like ours does. By the way we used bath our ranch dogs, they shake off the water and roll in cow poop.
Yeah, when I was growing up dogs (and cats) simply didn't come in the house. Of course now and then they would break the rules, but they lived 99% outside. When I lived in the country in Texas, the dog stayed outside, as did the cats and basically had the job of protecting us. The dog warns with his barks and the cats kept away snakes and rodents. I remember once one of the cats hissing at a poisonous water moccasin that was in the yard. Not sure if we would have known it was there without his warning. He got some extra kibbles in his bowl that night.

We have four cats, two dogs, three tame ducks, lots of wild ducks that fly in, 15 chickens, 4 cattle (livestock). Here is a photo from Christmas...

Attachments

• IMG_2792.jpg
    IMG_2792.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Gracieb.... simply awesome. But hey, YOU look absolutely delighted and that made me smile. I hope you two meet soon. Buen Camino :) Caesar
Come meet my dogs (and me !!). We live in beautiful South-East England and we love it here. I have two rescue dogs from India and one of them, my best friend, is Julius (because my name is Caesar). The other, his partner, is Clara, and they are the cutest couple you'd never imagine. They live in harmony together, give me endless love and when they are not around, I miss them both. I've met a few beautiful dogs on the way and I have been close to weeping when I saw them behind fences or chained and calling out to me for love.... the kind that they wanted to give. God bless all dogs. Caesar :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
...the only reason he is on that (very long) chain is that without it he will follow pilgrims for miles...
This is off-topic but it reminds me of our first day on the Camino de Chimayó here in the US. As we were walking out of San Luis, Colorado, a big yellow dog started following us. He walked and walked, first beside one of us then another, constantly weaving underfoot and between our legs as we walked. We decided to call him Joost, after the character in "The Way" because no matter how hard we tried to send him back to town he would continue to follow us. Finally, after about 7 or 8 miles, a couple of guys in a county road maintenance truck passed by, pulled ahead a ways, then turned around and came back. They told us he was the town stray dog and that everyone in town loved him and fed him. They said his name was Bam-Bam (like the Flintstone's pet dinosaur) and that he liked to follow strangers around -- probably hoping for a hand-out. They opened the door of the truck and said, "Here Bam-Bam," and he jumped right in for a ride back to town.
BamBam.jpg

This is off-topic but it reminds me of our first day on the Camino de Chimayó here in the US. As we were walking out of San Luis, Colorado, a big yellow dog started following us.
This is off-topic too. Long ago in a national park in Australia I was out for a few hours hike in the outback. On the way back to the campground I turned around and saw an emu coming up from behind. I stepped off the trail and watched him pass. At the campground I mentioned the incident to a ranger. He said "That must have been Charlie. He follows people out of camp who are wearing yellow packs."

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I also met a bright and adorable pup, dining on the terrace of the Palacio restaurant in Molinaseca. First noticed him being played with by an 8 year old child, and he was playing so well with her that I assumed he was the family pet. But during dinner he would come as'nd ask for food and was shooed away by the waiter. He was a homeless pup. I kept seeing signs after that letting me know I should take him home: signs for a doggy pension, a vet's offfice, a place where I bought him leash and colar. When I arrived in Santiago I looked up info on shipping dogs requirements an then the restaurant in Molinaseca: pup had apparently already been taken on by another pilgrim. Good for him! And yes, he would have been called Iago!

I remember a nice Black Labrador who liked to hang around on that very terrace. He loved to fetch the bits of food we tossed to him...but he didn't bring any of them back.

Whenever I think of taking adavatage of my Spanish citizenship to move to more clement temps and closer to the Camino I remember its poor animal husbandry and stay put. Would not take a dog to live in Spain.
It depends where and what in Spain. Spend enough time in the Basque region and you'll think dogs are king. Even the working dogs.

For most of Spain proper however the delineation between "pet" dog and working dog are very clear, and more extreme than most of us are used to in North America. It's an adjustment to witness it for sure.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.