• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help please walking Camino backwards. SJPDP -> Bordeaux

Larskaster

Time of past OR future Camino
Now
Hello, I'm in trouble. I wanted to go the normal Camino from SJPDP to Santiago. But on the way I lost my id. The police wouldn't let me into Spain. So me and my friend decided to go backwards to Bordeaux because there is the consulate for Germany to get a passport so I can fly back to Germany. I don't find any information online about the route planing and hostels along the way. I would be really greatful if anyone has an advise on how we can find hostels along the way because we don't have enough money to buy hotels every night and we don't won't the trip to end before it even started.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is not clear where you are now - Where is it that the police turned you back? Where exactly do you want to walk from, to Bordeaux?

It is not clear where you are now - Where is it that the police turned you back? Where exactly do you want to walk from, to Bordeaux?
Sorry I am still a little bit confused from this, So I forgot to write it. We were in saint-jean-pierre-de-port this is where we got rejected and now we are in a hotel in saint Palais. Thank you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Now I am even more curious about where exactly you were turned back, since there isn't a normal border check.

I see that the Voie de Tours route is also called the Via Turonensis, which might help your searching.

This thread will be moved to the Tours section of the forum, where you can find some other threads.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Now I am even more curious about where exactly you were turned back, since there isn't a normal border check.

I see that the Voie de Tours route is also called the Via Turonensis, which might help your searching.

This thread will be moved to the Tours section of the forum, where you can find some other threads.
Yeah there where just two police officers with a car I think it was random bekause they left half an hour after there controlled us but they said if they Soo me in Spain they gonna arrest me

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
(granted being from US I dont know the trappings of EU police; im my mind - there are still "as per country" unless its Interpol but that would be a totally different story).....
so... 2 SPANISH Police Officers stopped you in SJPdP and gave you troubles, starting with checkin your papers.... Uh.. what were they doing in FRANCE and by which authority they threatened you with arrest.
or 2 FRENCH officers they were in which case - they would have to follow you into Spain (how does one know which way you gonna go?) and THEN arrest you there?
Strange indeed (not to mention that your profile states you are from Saint Palais and yet you need to fly back to Germany)

In any case @Tincatinker adequately provided the info you are seeking and I hope that you can overcome your hardships.
Good luck!

O I see the information in my profile is wrong because it asked: "where are you" and not "where are you from" or maybe I read it wrong.
To clear things up: it was two police officers from Spain patrolling the border to Spain. So when we where at the border they stopped us and said we could not go into the country. They know which place is the next for pilgrims that come this way and they said if they see me in the village they gonna arrest me and one of them got really angry/ agressive when I came back after a minute to ask him something. He was totally rude. But anyway we try to go Bordeaux whysh us luck

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Were you attempting to walk the Chemin Napoleon which is closed until April 1? Were you on the route to Orisson? Did the Spanish police stop you there? The other route via Valcarlos is usually open in winter .

Last edited:
I don't know what you mean exactly with garden path
Leading up the garden path means that you’ve been telling us a Märchen, something that is not quite true. I know that, as an EU citizen, I am normally not checked at the French-Spanish border but I also know that I am legally obliged, as a foreigner in Spain, to carry valid ID (passport or ID card) with me. Besides, you must show ID when you want to stay in a hotel or in an albergue in Spain. Did you not know that?

I, too, would be curious to know where exactly on the way to SJPP you were controlled by Spanish police.

It says Saint Palais in your profile. Did you and your friend walk from Saint Palais or is it where you want to go? Saint Palais is on the way from SJPP to Bordeaux.

@Larskaster as the law in France, Spain and indeed Germany require you to carry id / passport at all times I suggest you get the next available bus or train to Bordeaux and get that sorted. Then you can return to the Camino or walk to Tours, Paris or wherever. Without id, which is going to be required by most accommodations, you are risking another unpleasant interaction with a policeman.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We walked on the green path (we where told the red one is closed) but I don't know the name of the paths
Were you attempting to walk the Chemin Napoleon which is closed until April 1? Were you on the route to Orisson? Did the Spanish police stop you there? The other route via Valcarlos is usually open in winter

@Larskaster as the law in France, Spain and indeed Germany require you to carry id / passport at all times I suggest you get the next available bus or train to Bordeaux and get that sorted. Then you can return to the Camino or walk to Tours, Paris or wherever. Without id, which is going to be required by most accommodations, you are risking another unpleasant interaction with a policeman.
In Bordeaux I can only get a passport to travel back to Germany and until I get there and back my holidays are nearly half over I don't know it's all really frustrating.

Leading up the garden path means that you’ve been telling us a Märchen, something that is not quite true. I know that, as an EU citizen, I am normally not checked at the French-Spanish border but I also know that I am legally obliged, as a foreigner in Spain, to carry valid ID (passport or ID card) with me. Besides, you must show ID when you want to stay in a hotel or in an albergue in Spain. Did you not know that?

I, too, would be curious to know where exactly on the way to SJPP you were controlled by Spanish police.

It says Saint Palais in your profile. Did you and your friend walk from Saint Palais or is it where you want to go? Saint Palais is on the way from SJPP to Bordeaux.
We are currently at saint Palais in a hotel. I will attach a picture of the location we where stopped. I also know that I have to carry my id. I didn't lose my wallet on purpose. But I never had to show my id when I crossed a border in the eu and even the plane would let me fly with a picture of my id. I also have a document from the french Polizei with my details like name date o birth etc. And they would not let me pass. Here is the location on Google maps:
Dropped pin

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We are currently at saint Palais in a hotel. I will attach a picture of the location we where stopped. I also know that I have to carry my id. I didn't lose my wallet on purpose. But I never had to show my id when I crossed a border in the eu and even the plane would let me fly with a picture of my id. I also have a document from the french Polizei with my details like name date o birth etc. And they would not let me pass.
Forgot to attach the file. Edit: i tried to attach a file in the other one by editing and also here. I cannot see anything on my phone I don't know if it worked or not. Here is a Google maps link to the location:
Dropped pin

We are currently at saint Palais in a hotel. I will attach a picture of the location we where stopped
OK. We are very keen to know where this control happened because it is practically unknown that pilgrims on the Camino from France to Spain meet border police. We sometimes meet police who patrol the Camino but they are usually there in the summer and more for protecting pilgrims and not checking their IDs.

Are you keen on walking to Bordeaux or would you consider public transport (bus, train)? I walked this section but it was years ago. There weren’t many hostels then … nothing compared to the Camino in Spain.

OK. We are very keen to know where this control happened because it is practically unknown that pilgrims on the Camino from France to Spain meet border police. We sometimes meet police who patrol the Camino but they are usually there in the summer and more for protecting pilgrims and not checking their IDs.

Are you keen on walking to Bordeaux or would you consider public transport (bus, train)? I walked this section but it was years ago. There weren’t many hostels then … nothing compared to the Camino in Spain.
Okay I understand, it is our first time to walk the Camino so we didn't know what to expect. I thought this relatively normal. We wanted to walk to Bordeaux but we can't find any hostels on the road and we don't know how to look for them (neither on the internet nor else) that's why I started this thread in the first place. We don't have enough money to pay for hotels every night and if we take the bus our whole jurney was totally non existential. The next time we have the opportunity to walk the Camino together is in a few years because we both leave our home country for a while. It's somewhat depressing. But we try to make the best out if the situation

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
i tried to attach a file in the other one by editing and also here. I cannot see anything on my phone I don't know if it worked or not. Here is a Google maps link to the location:
It worked. So this happened on the Valcarlos route and near an area where these Spanish border shops are.

A lot of the online info about the Road from Tours / Via Turonensis is in French - can you read French? Would it help if you had kml or GPS files?

This website is in Dutch and has good online info and maps and overviews:
It has links to the regional Pilgrim associations for the territory you would walk through. They have info on cheap accommodation for pilgrims. I have copied these links - have a look:
Compostelagenootschap van Bordeaux
Compostelagenootschap van Gradignan
Compostelagenootschap in Gironde-Aquitaine
Compostelagenootschap in de Landes

Compostelagenootschap means Association for Pilgrims to Santiago. Note that the area called Landes is sparsely populated, so take drink and food with you. I don't think that you will encounter many pilgrims at this time of the year. If you do ... obviously ask them where they had stayed the night before ...

Another thought: You can still get a German emergency passport (green cover and not burgundy). The German border police in Frankfurt airport issues them, I don't know whether you could get it from the consulate in Bordeaux. Ask about it. You would not have to return to your home town in this case but could go to Spain right away. And don't lose that paper from the French police 😊.

Last edited:
It worked. So this happened on the Valcarlos route and near an area where these Spanish border shops are.

A lot of the online info about the Road from Tours / Via Turonensis is in French - can you read French? Would it help if you had kml or GPS files?

It has links to the regional Pilgrim associations for the territory you would walk through. They have info on cheap accommodation for pilgrims. I have copied these links - have a look:

Compostelagenootschap means Association for Pilgrims to Santiago. Note that the area called Landes is sparsely populated, so take drink and food with you. I don't think that you will encounter many pilgrims at this time of the year. If you do ... obviously ask them where they had stayed the night before ...

Another thought: You can still get a German emergency passport (green cover and not burgundy). The German border police in Frankfurt airport issues them, I don't know whether you could get it from the consulate in Bordeaux. Ask about it. You would not have to return to your home town in this case but could go to Spain right away. And don't lose that paper from the French police 😊.
Thank you very very much for your help! I cannot read french sadly but gps files would be helpful. I don't know what the other type is that you said. I will look up the information you provided tomorrow. We called in the consulate in Bordeaux they only issue passports for back to Germany. If I want a normal one I had to go to Paris or Marseille. Sadly we event flew from Frankfurt. If I knew it beforehand I would got it there 🤦 I feel like a total dumbass. Anyways thank you for everything, from the bottom of my heart ❤️

I had a closer look. The Landes website has info in English, see here:
http://compostelle-landes.org/index.php?p=tours&lng=en
There is an interactive map and accommodation is marked (click on the bed icons).
You can also download a pdf file with a description of the route in English.

When you switch to French (click national flag at the top right corner) and go again to Info pèlerins -> voie de Tours, you see the same interactive map and underneath it there is a pdf file with more info about accommodation (Liste des hébergements). Note that some of them are currently closed and open only in April. Also, you are often asked / expected to phone the accommodation beforehand.

This covers a large part of the trail between Saint Palais and Bordeaux.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You lost your ID. Do you have any idea how and where?
Did you report it missing? It may still be found.

If the ID was stolen, you better hurry to that consulate because you may have problems far bigger than a lost vacation.

Good luck!

But I never had to show my id when I crossed a border in the eu and even the plane would let me fly with a picture of my id. I also have a document from the french Polizei with my details like name date o birth etc. And they would not let me pass.
How long has your ID been missing?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had a closer look. The Landes website has info in English, see here:
http://compostelle-landes.org/index.php?p=tours&lng=en
There is an interactive map and accommodation is marked (click on the bed icons).
You can also download a pdf file with a description of the route in English.

When you switch to French (click national flag at the top right corner) and go again to Info pèlerins -> voie de Tours, you see the same interactive map and underneath it there is a pdf file with more info about accommodation (Liste des hébergements). Note that some of them are currently closed and open only in April. Also, you are often asked / expected to phone the accommodation beforehand.

This covers a large part of the trail between Saint Palais and Bordeaux.
Thank you very much 😊

O I see the information in my profile is wrong because it asked: "where are you" and not "where are you from" or maybe I read it wrong.
To clear things up: it was two police officers from Spain patrolling the border to Spain. So when we where at the border they stopped us and said we could not go into the country. They know which place is the next for pilgrims that come this way and they said if they see me in the village they gonna arrest me and one of them got really angry/ agressive when I came back after a minute to ask him something. He was totally rude. But anyway we try to go Bordeaux whysh us luck
hast du diene Verlust angemeldet beim Polizei ? Denn viellicht bekommt du eine Bestätigung dar du denn fur übernachten benutzten kann.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
hast du diene Verlust angemeldet beim Polizei ? Denn viellicht bekommt du eine Bestätigung dar du denn fur übernachten benutzten kann.

Ja habe ich, ich habe auch eine Bescheinigung bekommen das hat ihn nicht interessiert an der Grenze. Ich habe auch ein Bild vom Ausweis ich denke das Recht Hoffentlich für die herbergen
Please remember that English is the language of the forum.

If you want, you can send each other private messages in German via the private conversation function on the forum. Simply click/tap on a member's avatar or name and there will be a pop-up with information about that member and a box that says "start conversation."

What a dreadful experience. 🤗
If you remember that the Camino actually starts from your doorstep then this is all part of your Camino - just not what you expected. Many people have had to pause their Camino - recently someone fell and broke their leg on day 3.
‘The obstacle in the path is the path.’
May you and your friend enjoy the rest of your unexpected Camino and then come back in a couple of years to complete what you have started.

€83,-
The key thing next time is carry a photocopy/scan of your passport and id. Also have a copy on a usb drive hidden away in your rucksack. Those things will save your camino/holiday. But the other thing is to wear a money belt inside your shirt and just carry a small amount of cash in your pockets, keep all your documentation in that money belt and keep it touching skin for your camino. Pickpockets are active all over the Camino routes, but mainly in the towns and cities. Treat your passport and id card like you were carrying a gold bar worth 100,000 euros. Keep them safe and secure all the time. The second you don't is the second you end up at a remote German embassy in Bordeaux.

As to rescuing your current Camino, if you have more id back in Germany you could grab it and fly to Leon and walk the last half of the Frances.

If you want, you can send each other private messages in German via the private conversation function on the forum. Simply click/tap on a member's avatar or name and there will be a pop-up with information about that member and a box that says "start conversation."

Sometimes we non English speaking members just want to help out a fellow countryman in the quickest way possible. For complicated themes, where detail is of the essence, a mother language proves to be the easiest ( lost in translation etc etc ).
Btw , when this happens on the forum it is always limited to practical, short questions.
Of course we know this is an English speaking forum and I think we honour this unwritten rule ( btw , the forum rules do not mention writing in English ;) ).

We are a helpful lot here and this has to be applauded imho. Whatever language is used.
Just like on a Camino where I am more than happy to use my languageskills to help someone out/have a conversation.
More often than not I was the translator between different nationalities because most of us Europeans tend to know some extra languages compared to some of our Anglo-Saxon fellow peregrinos.

Last edited:
Here is a suggestion. Make a copy of the main page of your passport. For me, I had my sister laminate it. Then I tucked my real passport deep in my backpack where I knew where it was. For albergues, etc, I showed them my laminated passport page, and for all but one Albergue, it worked good enough. One Albergue had a passport scanner that the laminated sheet would reflect too much, so I had to dig out my real passport. So, the only time I used my real passport is on that one occasion, and upon entering and exiting Spain. I can't remember if I used my real passport at the Attocha Train Station in Madrid. Still, I almost managed to lose my passport on one occasion

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ja habe ich, ich habe auch eine Bescheinigung bekommen das hat ihn nicht interessiert an der Grenze. Ich habe auch ein Bild vom Ausweis ich denke das Recht Hoffentlich für die herbergen
This translates as: Did you report your loss to the police? Because maybe you will get a confirmation that you can use for overnight stays.
Yes I did, I also got a certificate that didn't interest him at the border. I also have a picture of the ID I think that's right Hopefully for the hostels

If you reply to another poster in their own language (it certainly avoids (misunderstandings) a PM is probably better but if you post it in the thread, please add a translation, e.g. from Google translate.

Last edited:

I was simply trying to help after the person seemed to be totally misunderstood.
Sometimes we non English members just want to help out a fellow countryman in the quickest way possible. For complicated themes, where detail is of the essence, a mother language proves to be the easiest ( lost in translation etc etc ).
Btw , when this happens on the forum it is always limited to practical, short questions.
Of course we know this is an English speaking forum and I think we honour this unwritten rule ( btw , the forum rules do not mention writing in English ;) ).

We are a helpful lot here and this has to be applauded imho. Whatever language is used.
Just like on a Camino where I am more than happy to use my languageskills to help someone out/have a conversation.
More often than not I was the translator between different nationalities because most of us Europeans tend to know some extra languages compared to our Anglo-Saxon fellow peregrinos.
thanks for understanding why I wrote what I wrote.

I was just trying to help someone in trouble.- and the message was to that person - I was not aware of any private message possiblity

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was simply trying to help after the person seemed to be totally misunderstood.

thanks for understanding why I wrote what I wrote.

No worries, I understand!
And like I wrote earlier : it is not written in the forumrules that this is an English speaking forum.
Hint to administrator and mods who want to look into this and add this to the rules?

Schengen abolished border controls. It did not abolish borders. Remember also that many European countries can and do require their citizens to carry ID at all times and show it to the police when asked/demanded. Therefore it is not out of the ordinary for police to carry out ID checks at the border and to turn back individuals that do not have one. Losing your ID can happen to anyone. The first time it happened to me, the Dutch police were most kind and understanding in getting my passport back to me. The second time, the Peruvian police were equally kind and understanding but (and this is no reflection on the Peruvian police), much less successful in retrieving it.

Sadly, things can go wrong when we travel. Many people have had to abandon or postpone their camino, and there are lots of stories on this forum about exactly that. All I can say to you Larkaster, is be strong and be patient. A very good friend of ours has undergone many tribulations but is finally about to board a plane for his first camino. He is 86 years old. Santiago de Compostela has been there a lot longer than we have and will be there long after we have gone. You will be there one day.

If he can back to Paris, he can go to the US embassy and get a temporary passport.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If he can back to Paris, he can go to the US embassy and get a temporary passport.
I seriously doubt that this suggestion will work. 😎

Judging by previous posts, however, I guess that the OP knows how to get a temporary ID document for travel in France when the proper one is lost. But I am not certain that they will issue a temporary passport on the spot. I think it’s only an ID document for returning home, as the OP described already.

Full details from the embassy in Paris https://allemagneenfrance.diplo.de/fr-de/service/-/2554250?view=. Sorry, the website is not available in English. Only in German and French.

They also have this bit of useful information (translated into English) for travelling back from France: If you are travelling by plane, first check with the airline whether it is sufficient to just take a French police declaration of loss and/or a copy of your identity document (e.g. in your mobile phone) with you.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that this suggestion will work. 😎

Judging by previous posts, however, I guess that the OP knows how to get a temporary ID document for travel in France when the proper one is lost. But I am not certain that they will issue a temporary passport on the spot. I think it’s only an ID document for returning home, as the OP described already.

Full details from the embassy in Paris https://allemagneenfrance.diplo.de/fr-de/service/-/2554250?view=. Sorry, the website is not available in English. Only in German and French.
In 2018 I had my passport stolen in Paris. It was a Sunday and Monday the Embassy was closed that Monday. Tuesday morning we went early to the embassy and replaced with a US passport. Photo booth in the hallway and several windows open. I don't remember the cost but it wasn't very much.

and replaced with a US passport
The situation of the OP is different from your situation in 2018. He doesn’t want or need a passport, temporary or otherwise. He wants and needs to replace his lost ID card. The consulate in Bordeaux can help with this, and Bordeaux is nearest to SJPP and Saint-Palais, much nearer than other French towns with consulate or embassy services.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

On this Dutch downloadpage you can indeed find find KML and GPX files from all the camino's in France, you download the all in one file.
https://www.santiago.nl/downloads/

Besides, you will also find a kml and gpx file with all the places to sleep at the the camino to Bordeaux and further to Paris. This camino is calles 'Via Turonensis', there is also a file in English.

We sometimes meet police who patrol the Camino but they are usually there in the summer and more for protecting pilgrims and not checking their IDs.
In 2017 on the VDLP, I encountered a Guardia Civil patrol. They were extremely friendly and polite, but they said they were doing routine checks, and asked to see my ID. (I was an innocuous looking little old pilgrim.) They took my passport and punched some data into their car computer. I am just pointing out that random checks can occur. If I had not been able to present my ID, possibly things would have been different, especially if I were trying to enter the country at a border.

it is not written in the forum rules that this is an English speaking forum.
Hint to administrator and mods who want to look into this and add this to the rules?
Having posts in other languages has not been a significant problem. When it occurs, we ask the person to please provide a translation if it will be on the public forum, so that the moderators and everyone else do not need to do the translation themselves. If is unfortunate if this polite and reasonable message causes offense.

Hello @Larskaster
When i am a pilgrim in France and other places I usually walk as far as able each day then set about finding a place to sleep -on a floor, a couch, or a bed. I rarely make reservations as I don´t know how far I will get in a day. If my heart is determined to follow a trail I set off. I trust that each day i will find a safe place to sleep and food to eat.

So, when I arrive in a village I introduce myself to the staff at the municipal office and show my credential. Likewise at the presbytere, the library, cafes and the police station. I greet the village folk wherever I find them and ask for help. I love the social interaction. I find that most people are friendly and hospitable. It is rare that i´ve had to sleep outdoors.

Cheers
lovingkindness

Ps There is a nice gîte de pèlerins in Bordeaux...

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back