• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with shoes!

Maoliosa

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Camino
I am due to walk my first Camino in September. A lifelong dream. I'm walking on the Camino Portuguese from Porto. However, I'm having a night mare time finding comfortable shoes. I know the choice depends on what works for my feet. But I have tried 8 different shoes and none are comfortable. I am now even having trouble with sneakers. I am a relatively fit person and walk at least 4-5 miles per day. As part of my training I am trying to increase a couple of times per week to 10 miles. But each of my shoe choices are not holding up. I'm starting to loose hope that I will not be able to take this trip.
I have tried combining orthotics with trail running shoes and MERRELS also. But they are all so uncomfortable.
Every shoe I try is either too narrow, too wide or too short. Not supportive enough or too hard. I've tried all of the popular choices and none are working for me. Right now I am trying out the ASICS GT 2000 11 TR. Has anyone walked the Camino in these? I'm also thinking of ordering SPORTIVA to try. Does anyone have any insight into how they fit or a comfortable but supportive style?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For the Portuguese specifically, unless you're only doing the Spanish section, I would advise shoes with thicker rather than thinner rubber soles, because of all the cobblestones. And possibly ankle-high boots rather than lighter shoes.

My good friend swears by Sportivas, so worth a try! And I agree on the Portuguese section of the Portuguese Camino: definitely lean towards the well-padded sole on that route!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Has anyone walked the Camino in these?
From what you say, the only thing you should be thinking about is whether a particular shoe is comfortable for you, for a whole day of walking. People have walked the various Camino routes in all types and brands of footwear, so at this point maybe you should stop worrying about what others wear or what type of shoe you think is "suitable." You need, at a minimum, a pair of shoes that are comfortable on your feet..

What do you wear for the 4-5 miles you walk each day now? Are they not comfortable?

Every shoe I try is either too narrow, too wide or too short.
Are you trying different sizes and different widths? Regular running shoes as well as trail shoes? Hiking sandals with or without socks? Hoka and New Balance have some well-padded running shoes.

I sure hope you find something that works. Good luck!

For the CP I wore Salomon trail shoes but I saw several people wearing Hokas, which I hear are very comfortable.

I feel your pain. I spent 2 years trialling footwear before my last Camino.
But what works for me........works for me. Might not for you.

For example, I tried Altra Lone Peaks, a very popular shoe.
After 1 km my feet would hurt, they were so thin on the sole.
Yet I met a lady on the VdlP who loved them.

Maybe you could get a view from a 'professional' like a podiatrist?
After they look at your feet.

Some things I have found that impact footwear choice are:

1. Age. As we get older we lose a lot of he natural cushioning in our feet.
  2. Foot size / width. Some shoes come in wider and narrower fittings. La Sportiva for example are too narrow for me.
  3. Body Weight! I'm on the heavy side, so I need more cushioning or my feet get pounded.
  4. Route. I find road walking really tough on my feet. so again lots of cushioning.
  5. Orthotics. I get these custom made. They are great. They are made for my chosen shoe.
Then you have the whole shoe v boot debate.
I always used to wear boots, thinking they gave me extra support.
Then @davebugg , who knows about these things, said that was not true.
Then my physio told me the bootes were now to heavy for my bad knees.

So I went to well cushioned trail runners. They were great. For me........

Your shoes/boots are out there. I'm sure you'll find them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For the CP I wore Salomon trail shoes but I saw several people wearing Hokas, which I hear are very comfortable.

There are many different Hokas. Beware.
I use Stinson ATR and found them great. Just bought another 3 pairs.
But all the other Hokas I found too lacking in support / cushioning.

It's all very personal as we know.

Hokas might be great, but which one will suit you? :rolleyes:

Sadly I haven't found the staff in hiking stores to be that knowledgeable about footwear.
At least here in Sydney :-(

I used to wear Salomon boots. Loved them!
But they are now made in a narrower fitting, using less cushioning.
So I had to move on sadly........

As stated above - it's a personal thing. I walked my first couple of long distance paths in (relatively) heavy walking boots and thought nothing of it. I then switched to trail shoes and have never gone back. Keen Targhee III fit me perfectly and I can happily walk 20+ miles in them, on a longer stage, but they might not suit everyone.

I always used to wear boots, thinking they gave me extra support.
Then @davebugg , who knows about these things, said that was not true.
For most people that's correct, but there are a few exceptions to that, where they do. And yeah, Dave and I have discussed that a couple of times ... 😎

I am in that situation -- which is why I do not recommend the sorts of boots I wear myself to others, outside of certain particular conditions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For most people that's correct, but there are a few exceptions to that, where they do. And yeah, Dave and I have discussed that a couple of times ... 😎

I am in that situation -- which is why I do not recommend the sorts of boots I wear myself to others, outside of certain particular conditions.
Good point!
There is no one size fits all...........at all !

Really, the overriding factors are :

1) Your own feet and your personal needs and tastes

2) Terrain

3) Weather and Season

4) Length of the hike <<------- this is where boots versus shoes is most pertinent, though wet weather and rainy season too (maybe).

Really, the overriding factors are :

1) Your own feet and your personal needs and tastes

2) Terrain

3) Weather and Season

4) Length of the hike <<------- this is where boots versus shoes is most pertinent, though wet weather and rainy season too (maybe).

I would agree, there are so many factors........
And it just makes footwear choice very hard for those on their first Camino.
Regarding length of hike though.......and I know you walk looooong Caminos!
I managed 1200 kms this year in Hoka Trail runners. (Stinson ATR)
My feet were great, though the shoes were held together with gaffer tape after about 800 kms
I realise 1200 is a short one for you ;)

Maybe choosing footwear is like choosing a pack.
Keep trying different ones till you find one you like!
I almost gave up looking over the last 2 years........
I tried so many.
Bought 5 different ones by the end of my trials I think.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is impossible to answer as you will mainly only get what works for other people (which I am about to do).
I don't know where you live and what access you have to outdoor shops but you do need to go in rather than ordering online. Ideally to more than one outlet to get more choice.
Take your own socks with you - don't go in the morning, go in the mid afternoon as your feet get bigger as the day wears on. Also - expect your feet to go up a half or one size on Camino so don't buy tight.

Though - if you have comfy footwear you have had for years? take them!

I have always had problems with footwear. I have large feet and they are wide .. no matter how wide the footwear I always ended up being cramped and could never ever get a footbed that was actually shaped to a human foot (or my foot) ...

and then I found Keen Newport H2 trekking sandals. Marvellous wide toe box, thick rugged sole, and the best shaped footbed I have ever found .. these I have been wearing for years now - sorted. And they are the only footwear I have worn that after five minutes I am not aware I am wearing footwear!
Dry, wet, rain, shine, hot, cold - no problems, no blisters, no aches.
I have worn them on all terrains, including the roughest.
(I am English so usually keep quiet about this but on Camino if it is cold I wear socks with them!).

There are two types, leather and fabric - the leather ones are too stiff and don't flex so if trying them on go for the fabric type.
The only downside is that they are probably the ugliest footwear ever made!

As a note - all Keen footwear have marvellous properly shaped footbeds.

I don't know if you are male or female - it is the same sandal but for some unknown reason they make the 'female' ones with ghastly pink or purple lines - why do they do that?

Edit: Pelerina has tried both male and female and says that the male sandals are less tight at the heel so for her the straps can't be tightened enough.

Try them - keen-newport-h2.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if you are male or female - it is the same sandal
I love my Keen sandals, and the wide toe box is great for we wide footed people. I had trouble finding the Keen sandal I wanted locally, so I asked the shop owner if the men's and women's sandals were 'the same'. He said the men's version is wider around the ankle / heel area and usually when women try it, the sandals are too loose at that point. But to give it a go. So I tried the men's version in the right length size for my feet. It was just as he said. No matter how tight I pulled the elasticised 'laces', it was still way too loose around that area. Would not have been comfortable to wear, even with a stylish sock and sandal combo. That's just my experience with my feet.

for some unknown reason they make the 'female' ones with ghastly pink or purple lines - why do they do that?

As to colour, the women's Newport comes in about 8 different colours including black and navy. And the Whisper which I wear (less 'ugly' and lighter than the Newport), in 10 colours including black and navy. I guess they provide various colours to offer choice. And if it proves popular they continue and vice versa. Love my Keens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am due to walk my first Camino in September. A lifelong dream. I'm walking on the Camino Portuguese from Porto. However, I'm having a night mare time finding comfortable shoes. I know the choice depends on what works for my feet. But I have tried 8 different shoes and none are comfortable. I am now even having trouble with sneakers. I am a relatively fit person and walk at least 4-5 miles per day. As part of my training I am trying to increase a couple of times per week to 10 miles. But each of my shoe choices are not holding up. I'm starting to loose hope that I will not be able to take this trip.
I have tried combining orthotics with trail running shoes and MERRELS also. But they are all so uncomfortable.
Every shoe I try is either too narrow, too wide or too short. Not supportive enough or too hard. I've tried all of the popular choices and none are working for me. Right now I am trying out the ASICS GT 2000 11 TR. Has anyone walked the Camino in these? I'm also thinking of ordering SPORTIVA to try. Does anyone have any insight into how they fit or a comfortable but supportive style?
Lowa Renegade GTX Fabulous pair of shoes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you still have the shoe that is too wide test it out again with two pairs of socks. Besides occupying the extra width the second pair will add cushioning. You may need to stop more often though to air out your feet.

Also, if you find your shoe of choice has too thin of a sole for the cobble stones you could stiffen them up some by cutting out plastic from milk bottles and placing the inserts under your insoles.

If you still have the shoe that is too wide test it out again with two pairs of socks. Besides occupying the extra width the second pair will add cushioning. You may need to stop more often though to air out your feet.
Not sure if that was for me ... but, if so, thank you. I did not buy the ill fitting men's version and later was able to find the women's sandals in the correct size for me, so no need for a workaround in my case.

Not sure if that was for me ... but, if so, thank you. I did not buy the ill fitting men's version and later was able to find the women's sandals in the correct size for me, so no need for a workaround in my case.
Great but no thanks are necessary :) ; the post was meant for the OP who is running out of time (and maybe money) trying to find something that works in the next few weeks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From what you say, the only thing you should be thinking about is whether a particular shoe is comfortable for you, for a whole day of walking. People have walked the various Camino routes in all types and brands of footwear, so at this point maybe you should stop worrying about what others wear or what type of shoe you think is "suitable." You need, at a minimum, a pair of shoes that are comfortable on your feet..

What do you wear for the 4-5 miles you walk each day now? Are they not comfortable?

Are you trying different sizes and different widths? Regular running shoes as well as trail shoes? Hiking sandals with or without socks? Hoka and New Balance have some well-padded running shoes.

Thank you so much for responding to me. I'm very grateful and I apologize for all the detail. It's been a frustrating process. I don't worry about what other people wear. I am having great difficulty with all footwear since I started training.

I used to wear Nike sneakers as active wear. However, their sneakers don't seem to fit me properly any longer. So, I've been hunting for new sneakers also over the past 3 weeks. I've worn out my old sneakers.

I have tried a lot of variations on sizes and widths. I have very narrow ankles and heels, with a pronating ankle.
The HOKAs (including Speedgoat) are too narrow on the inner sole and the wider size is too wide on the heel!
The Altras don't give enough support and tried them with orthotics - but caused foot pain.
Asics are fitting good in the heel, with the support I need. However, I have to go up a half size as they are not long enough, and they are too wide in the toe box causing me to slip and slide around.
I had to go up a half size on Merrell Moab 3, for the same reason. However, they are very hard on my feet. And there is not enough arch support.
I've also tried Salomans and oboz.
When I try to use insoles/orthotics in all styles of the above brands the shoes don't fit correctly any longer in the heel.
I bought a pair of orthofeet sandals to relieve the pain from trying out all the above. And they are super comfortable. Are there any shoe or trail runners comparable to that brand, which could support long distance walking?

I will try New Balance and see if they work.

Hoka Bondi works for my wife (lots of cushioning). I'm using Topo Terraventure 3 on the CP this October (wider toe box, while keeping a narrow heal, and still with lots of cushioning). Shoes are hard. Good luck.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

As mentioned consistently what works for one does not work for all. Last two walks Camino Primitivo/San Salvador in HOKA Speedgoat V5…worked great! PEI Island Walk 600kms very flat road/trail surface HOKA Bondi V8…worked great! Having walked the Camino Portuguese from Porto I would definitely choose the Bondi’s…cobblestones a tough surface.

Wishing you success in finding the right shoe and Buen Camino!

I strongly recommend Topo trail shoes as well as running shoes. Great support, nice toe box. Buy directly from their website www.topoatletic.com and you will have 30 days to actually try the shoes!! If they work wonderful, if not you can return for refund. A rare offer among shoe brands.

In the USA I would visit a Redwing outlet. They specialize in work shoes for corporate customers. Their emphasis is on proper fit and safety requirements. Their selection is limited so you likely won't find what you want there. But at least purchse some socks for their trouble. You will exit the store knowing your correct size.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've just returned from walking the very short Camino Ingles, but with long days wearing Altras and orthotics...no issues. I agree with other posters that the cobblestones on the Portugues are a different consideration and would not have chosen Altras.( walked in 2018 & 2022) I've recently discovered Topo's ...which have the same toe box as Altras, come in zero drop, and are far superior with cushion.

Worth looking into...I'll be wearing those on my 2024 Camino from Seville.

Whatever you decide be sure and get shoes that are a half to whole size larger than you typically wear. Long distance walking will cause your feet to swell and the toes need room.

Wear sandals! Just completed Fatima to Santiago de Compostela

Attachments

• 16921122809275011072591594902762.jpg
    16921122809275011072591594902762.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
I wore Brooks Cascadia, a trail shoe with thick sole and wide toe box. This are my regular hiking shoes.

When I started planning for my trip, I used this forum for guidance. Even though, I wear this make/model on my everyday hikes, I thought I go to REI, a large store, to try different brands like Hoka, Salomon,etc. If you wear items purchased at REI and it doesn't work out, they refund you. I must have tried over 15 pairs of trail type shoes but in the end, I wore my Brooks Cascadia but just went up 1/2 size. I did not wear socks double socks, thus only 1/2 size up. I found the thickness of the soles excellent for the different terrain. My friend, who wore Salomon shoes, complained she could feel the rocky surfaces...not sure if she was just sensitive or soles too thin. I did not have any issues with shoes or my feet when I walked the Camino Frances this May/June. But because these are my regular go to shoes, I already had feet prepped and thus, ready to wear for Camino. Changing shoe brands can also mean that feet has to get used to new contact points on different shoes. Just my two cents worth. But listen to YOUR feet because shoes are a very important equipment. As back up, I would take a pair of trail sandals in the event you can't wear your shoes. My friend wore trail sandals when her feet got blisters and she could not fit into her shoes. I wish you patience in your exhausting search for the right pair of shoes.

Salomon’s were super for my second Camino. I went up an entire size than my usual, and added Dr Scholl’s gel pads for even more support. They lasted well beyond an entire Portuguese Coastal!

I have tried a lot of variations on sizes and widths. I have very narrow ankles and heels, with a pronating ankle.
Try a different lacing pattern or a combination of them on shoes that you already own to see if the lacing eliminates or reduces the problems you have with each. This website shows a dozen patterns to help with specific problems. There is at least one pattern shown for tightening a shoe loose in the heel. Another worked perfectly for me after I had to add extra padding under my insole.

Last edited:
In my medium-sized town, the most expert shoe fitters I've met are at the running shoe store. They're not expected to sell high heels or tents, but seem to know à whole lot about shoes that will work for endurance on foot. You might try à place like that for a fitting or at least some suggestions.

For the last year I have been walking in the La Sportiva GTX Raptor WIDE boot. It is very comfortable and VERY LIGHT. Very little tread left after 6-700 km so I just bought a new pair after long looking at any new similar options. Buen Camino

I have had a very interesting day, and I have thought of you.

I live right next to the Camino and the Via Romea, near the French/Italian border, plus all of the local Alpine hiking trails.

Good stuff !!

Coming home in the little bus this evening, there was a group of ramblers.

Footwear --

Three of them in traditional leather rambling shoes -- the young blonde girl had particularly fetching black polished well-sized ones.

Two Converse Trainers style, looked pretty good and reliable to me, at least for a shorter Camino.

One in sandals, they looked cool, leather or not I don't know.

One in the kind of shoes that have been talked about. They did not look beautiful in person.

The leather shoes most certainly did.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What shoes do you normally walk in for your 4-5 miles a day?

I, too, have narrow heels. I had a hard time finding shoes till I finally came across La Sportiva Ultra Raptor Trail Running Shoes. So that my toes are comfortable, I buy a half size larger than my normal shoes. I still have to wear thick socks with them and with that they work great and don't slide on my heels. Don't know if these will work for you but I wanted to let you know they do work for my narrow heels.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't see how this type of work shoe would be appropriate for walking the Camino.
Clearly they're not just work boots, and from what I can see of their "Heritage" boots/shoes, they look wonderful !!

When I am not wearing my zamberlan boots, I wear La sportiva spire, they have good support and the soles are made of Vibram which are good for traction. They are comfortable for me. Have you tried switching your socks? I always need a good shoe sock combination. I hope you find your shoe…Buen Camino 🥾

Lacing
change the lacing system in your existing shoes. By this means you can make them wider or narrower where you wish. These are pictures on line if you do a it of digging. I used a ‘Pilgrims hitch’ which kept lacehole 1 free and only began to tighten from lacehole 2 further up the foot than any pinch points. This allows you to tie the shoe as tightly as you like to secure stability without pinches lower down. Give it a try

https://ptforhealth.com/do-you-suff...h a crisscross.,tying with a crisscross again. Might help with ideas

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My heart goes out to you. It’s taken me years - and a number of sleepless nights - to find on the right footwear.
Are your orthotics tailor made from a podiatrist? My understanding is that they should be made to replace the inner sole in any shoe and fit.
Narrow heal, wide foot makes Keens or Merrells my best choice. However not all their styles fit me. And not the same style every year - they can slightly modify things. I have also found a shoe or boot version can make a difference.
I now wear Merrell Moab Mids wide - replace the left inner sole with a tailor made orthotic and the right inner sole with a store bought inner sole like superfeet (the tailor made inner sole gave me a small blister on my left foot).
I have also walked in Tevo style sandals very successful for a few days alternating with boots that weren’t working as well as I needed (Portuguese Camino)
Keep looking and good luck.

I had similar problems and in the end, bought a shoe-stretch online. I was able to stretch my shoes ever so slightly, where I needed them to be stretched. It was pretty simple, but I'd just do a very little bit at a time, so as not to over-do it. I'd put the shoe stretcher in, heat the spot for a minute or so with a hair dryer, and let it sit with the stretcher in it, overnight. Then I'd test the shoes the next morning, and keep doing that until I got it just right. At the recommendation of an Orthotics specialist, I also had metatarsal pads in both shoes. In the end, my New Balance trail shoes turned out to be great shoes for my feet - just not "off the rack".

Just finished Fatima to SdC wearing sandals, no blisters and not washing socks every day 🥰🥰🥰

Attachments

• 16921955701614471709509998422111.jpg
    16921955701614471709509998422111.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm female, and had trouble finding wide enough boots, until I realized that men's boots in general are sized with greater width than women's. Once I tried Keen men's Targhee III boots (which are also waterproof, a great benefit) I never looked back. It's really important to let your toes splay as you walk. And also important to get shoes that fit your personal feet; pay less attention to what size you think you are and keep trying on shoes until you find ones that are comfortable for you.

Thank you all so much for responding. I'm very grateful.

Yes, I have tried almost every make of regular running shoes and trail shoes both in normal and wide versions. I have had to give up on the 4-5 mile walks yesterday as my feet are so uncomfortable even in my regular sneakers now. I am hunting for a new sneaker also. I wore out 3 pairs of Nike sneakers walking here in New York over the past 4 months. They don't hold their support with my pronating heel. I have not tried hiking sandals. Can you recommend some? (I have a pronating foot..arch has fallen) And I would try with and without socks.

I have spent two long sessions in REI. I tried several shoes there. Most of the staff I encountered didn't seem too invested to be honest.

I also have been trying to walk the past few days in REI merino wool socks and have worn my feet raw with sweat. I never used to sweat in socks until the wool socks. Would you have sock recommendations that are cushiony, but keep you cool?

I have tried Altras (not enough arch support), many Hoka trail shoes and sneakers - either they are not supportive enough around my heel, or they are too narrow in the toe box. I worked my way through Asics line also. However, I haven't explored New Balance yet. I had tried New Balance 10 years ago and found them very big in the heel and clunky around my feet. But, I'm sure they are different now, so I would give them a go again.

For the past few days, I've been trying Merrell Moabs (3 x 3 mile sessions) and although I love the support around the sides of my foot, they are very hard underfoot and the soles of my feet are bruised in all the wrong places. I could do with a bit more heel and arch support. I tried them with, and without orthotics (not custom). Neither helped.
I tried in two different sizes - my big toe was a little too tight at the front of the shoe, so I went up a half size. However those are too big - feet slide forward and back in them because the arch is located too far forward for my foot.

I know many folks have had to go through this... it's so frustrating having to order 3 different sizes for each brand. Yes, we can return them. But I Iive in a studio apartment and I have to walk outdoors with them to really feel if they work. Asics won't accept a full return on a pair I walked in for 10 blocks.

My feet (and my purse) are feeling brutalized by all the shoes I've been trying to make work over the past couple of months, and I'm hardly able to walk at all now. I am embarrassed to say I have even gone to see two different podiatrists over the past couple of weeks for advice. One made some good shoe suggestions, handed me orthotic insoles, but they haven't worked. I'm a strong determined woman, who is capable of 10 miles per day. But, I'm starting to feel defeated because I can't get what my feet need, and if I don't find a miracle of a shoe this week (even a regular sneaker!) and get back on track with a bit of training I'm going to have to cancel my trip.

Sorry for the long response. I'm just so frustrated. :(
Any recommendations for good supportive hiking sandals?
Any Recommendations for non wool sock alternatives, with plenty of cushion underfoot?
Anyone got any sneaker recommendations (regular or trail runners), excluding Hoka, Asics, Altras, New Balance? I'm looking for something with some type of good cushion underfoot, but with a strong arch and supportive heel, wide toe box and breathable material on top. I'm a size 6.5 US (4-4.5 UK). I have one pronating foot. Naturally medium arches. However, they are soft.

Thank you again.

(I have a pronating foot..arch has fallen
Have you been assessed by a podiatrist or other specialist in feet and orthotics?
One made some good shoe suggestions, handed me orthotic insoles, but they haven't worked.
You have referred several times to orthotics but I think you are talking about off-the-shelf inner soles or supports. Strictly speaking "orthotics" are inserts that are custom made for your feet, from a mold or 3-D scanner. I am very dependent on mine for comfortable walking.

Orthotics require a visit to a pediatrist or pedorthist, they take a week or two to have made, and they are quite expensive. However, mine last me several years.

Given your troubles, it seems to me that consulting with a podiatrist is essential, but you say that you have done that. I am surprised that they haven't suggested custom orthotics.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One made some good shoe suggestions, handed me orthotic insoles, but they haven't worked.
You say you cannot even walk the 4-5 miles that you used to do, because your feet are uncomfortable. This suggests to me that your feet have been injured, and will take some time to heal. You can't expect the new insoles to instantly fix the problem. You need a better assessment of your foot problems, you might need some healing time, and then perhaps custom orthotics, before you can find the right shoes.

Custom boots can be made for you by Limmer in New Hampshire. They are reknown but heavy, expensive and you have a long wait to get a pair.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Socks: Darn Tough. I used to use synthetics, but they wore out.
I have Darn Tough socks and they are quite nice, although rather scratchy and hot in summer.
I learned about Wigwam socks from the website of an Alaskan adventurer, and have been wearing them on all of my Caminos since 2015 with good results. They are synthetic, thick and cushy on the bottoms. They last for several caminos and I can still wear them at home on my local trails and no holes.

I have Darn Tough socks and they are quite nice, although rather scratchy and hot in summer.
I learned about Wigwam socks from the website of an Alaskan adventurer, and have been wearing them on all of my Caminos since 2015 with good results. They are synthetic, thick and cushy on the bottoms. They last for several caminos and I can still wear them at home on my local trails and no holes.
Thank you Chrissy. I will give these a try.

Have you been assessed by a podiatrist or other specialist in feet and orthotics?

You have referred several times to orthotics but I think you are talking about off-the-shelf inner soles or supports. Strictly speaking "orthotics" are inserts that are custom made for your feet, from a mold or 3-D scanner. I am verfy dependent on mine for comfortable walking.

Orthotics require a visit to a pediatrist or pedorthist, they take a week or two to have made, and they are quite expensive. However, mine last me several years.

Given your troubles, it seems to me that consulting with a podiatrist is essential, but you say that you have done that. I am surprised that they haven't suggested custom orthotics.
I have been assessed by two podiatrists. And I had some X-rays taken yesterday. There are no injuries. Just a fallen arch and a weak ankle. Custom Orthotics are not covered by my healthcare. But I will still go ahead with them. However, the podiatrist said they would not be ready or worn in before my scheduled trip. Wondering if any folks out there would recommend a pedorthist in New York?

You say you cannot even walk the 4-5 miles that you used to do, because your feet are uncomfortable. This suggests to me that your feet have been injured, and will take some time to heal. You can't expect the new insoles to instantly fix the problem. You need a better assessment of your foot problems, you might need some healing time, and then perhaps custom orthotics, before you can find the right shoes.
Thankfully, I have no injuries. Just the wrong shoes. I had X-rays taken yesterday.

2) Terrain
Case in point :

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...-rescued-dolomites-mountains-plastic-sandals/ (paywall)

Italian hikers who had to be rescued by helicopter after clambering high up into the Dolomites wearing sandals have been castigated as clueless.

‌Four walkers wearing Teva-style sandals had to be rescued this week, at an estimated cost of €10,000 (£8,000), after getting into trouble in the mountain range in Italy’s northern region of Friuli-Venezia Giulia.

‌The hikers, two women and two men in their twenties and thirties who had a pet dog with them, climbed to about 2,000 metres above sea level on the rocky flanks of Monte Rua before calling for help.

‌Many Italians accused them of incompetence and said they should be compelled to pay for the cost of the rescue.

‌The Alpine Rescue Service published on social media a photo of two of the tourists, wearing light shorts and strap-on sports sandals.

S

Sadly I haven't found the staff in hiking stores to be that knowledgeable about footwear.

Solomon makes a mid, wide boot that is waterproof.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wore Merrells on first Camino. Whilst comfy to walk in I got Tendinitis in feet. I swore I’m going for way more cushioning next Camino. So next Camino, I wore hoka speedgoats for cushioning. Much better but a bit less support. I think I can improve my choice. Next time I will get a shoe with good cushioning and better structure. I am thinking that I will go with la Sportiva (wide fitting). Their shoes are narrow but some styles come in wide which suit my feet.(ultra raptor wide) I walk in them now at home all the while thinking about Camino. It’s such an obsession for me, always thinking if the best Camino gear. Shoes, light clothing etc. Good luck!

I wore Merrells on first Camino. Whilst comfy to walk in I got Tendinitis in feet. I swore I’m going for way more cushioning next Camino. So next Camino, I wore hoka speedgoats for cushioning. Much better but a bit less support. I think I can improve my choice. Next time I will get a shoe with good cushioning and better structure. I am thinking that I will go with la Sportiva (wide fitting). Their shoes are narrow but some styles come in wide which suit my feet. I walk in them now at home all the while thinking about Camino. It’s such an obsession for me, always thinking if the best Camino gear. Shoes, light clothing etc. Good luck!
I wore Merrells the first two caminos and had a lot of foot problems. After some years, I finally found that La Sportiva (Ultra Raptor) are supportive and work great for my narrow heels. I had expensive custom orthotics but they weren't very cushiony. On 2022 camino, I had become friends with our airbnb host in A Coruña and I was telling her my feet got tired and sore really quickly and she told me about an orthopedic pharmacy where she had gotten custom-made orthotics and recommended that I try them. I took her advice. The orthotics ended up costing 100 euros and I hesitated about the cost but they have been worth every penny. I went back in 2023 and got a second pair. This was the pharmacy in A Coruña: Farmacia Ortopedia Peñalver https://goo.gl/maps/rdy4g4HsDfvRJ8DFA

Between the La Sportivas and the lovely farmacia custom orthotics, I've been very happy.

@Maoliosa, sure hope you're able to resolve your issues before your trip. It took me several caminos to get to where I am now (and a LOT of pain the first two caminos), but I finally found a solution.

Lowa Renegade GTX Fabulous pair of shoes.
Same here, I love my Lowa Renegades but they are quite narrow and I have bunions. I normally wear a size 40 in normal footwear or even 39 but my Lowas are 41.5 as feet swell when walking the Camino distances. I also loosen the cord at the front of the foot and tighten the bit that supports the ankle. They are quite firm but wear a good quality Merino wool sock with support in the usual pinch points and ones for the time of year. Socks make a huge difference to shoe comfort. I have not had any foot problems and I’ve done many Caminos. As everyone says, try several but take walking socks to try with your choice and good luck choosing.

I wore Hoka Mafate Speed 4s and found them to be wonderful. 800+ km on the Camino Francés without a single blister or other problem.

I'm so sorry you are having this issue. I spent a lot of time trying out shoes before I left and never found any that were great. I settled on a Saucony pair that had a name like Pellegrino because it sounded like pilgrim and I took that as a good sign. On day one walking over the Pyrenees, I stepped in mud and my shoes never recovered. I left them in a hostel and walked in flip flops. Not recommend, but at least no blisters. Point is, do you best, but there are lots of places to buy shoes along the way if needed, so don't stress.

Wear the Comfy shoes you walk in every day! Buen Camino!

Thank you so much for responding to me. I'm very grateful and I apologize for all the detail. It's been a frustrating process. I don't worry about what other people wear. I am having great difficulty with all footwear since I started training.

I used to wear Nike sneakers as active wear. However, their sneakers don't seem to fit me properly any longer. So, I've been hunting for new sneakers also over the past 3 weeks. I've worn out my old sneakers.

The HOKAs (including Speedgoat) are too narrow on the inner sole and the wider size is too wide on the heel!
The Altras don't give enough support and tried them with orthotics - but caused foot pain.
Asics are fitting good in the heel, with the support I need. However, I have to go up a half size as they are not long enough, and they are too wide in the toe box causing me to slip and slide around.
I had to go up a half size on Merrell Moab 3, for the same reason. However, they are very hard on my feet. And there is not enough arch support.
I've also tried Salomans and oboz.
When I try to use insoles/orthotics in all styles of the above brands the shoes don't fit correctly any longer in the heel.
I bought a pair of orthofeet sandals to relieve the pain from trying out all the above. And they are super comfortable. Are there any shoe or trail runners comparable to that brand, which could support long distance walking?

I will try New Balance and see if they work.
Before the NB’s try on the new Brooks Cascadia 17, this series of trail runner is one of the best for Camino, big stack, rugged, strong toecap, rockplate. After my altras gave me tendonitis n switched to Brooks, completed my Camino and now a dozen pairs later just upgraded to 17 and starting Frances is 3 weeks.

€60,-
with a strong arch and supportive heel, wide toe box and breathable material on top

I started my shoe search when I started training in 2012.

Early in the game I was diagnosed as needing pronate support.

I already knew I needed the widest possible fitting.

And I wanted an upper that was both a flexible and very breathable.

After a bit of trial I found New Balance model 860.

As well taking the widest fitting, I also increased the length to get further width. To help fill up the extra length/front toe space, I wear larger sized (knee height) hose pressure hose (varicose veins) and and pull the surplus material forward.

I alighted on the 860 with version 5 in mid 2015. Replacements for me are after about 800 km with the v11 that I discarded last week having done over 1,000 km.

The flexibility and breathability of the upper is demonstrated each time I walk along a 15 km stretch of beach on one of my training routes with at least four streams to wade though. After about 500 metres from each stream my feet feel absolutely grand, with any heat generated helping to dry the hose.

The new pair go with me next week back to France to continue the Via Francigena as far into Italy as I desire, then to a number of routes in the UK.

@Maoliosa, kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care and be strong, confident and patient).

I don't want to get into the details but I've had bad experiences with New Balance shoes. Since others seem to love them I won't bad mouth them but I will warn you to check the reviews for each model you are interested in and not accept a review of the brand in the model's place.

Some thoughts on top of all the previous posts.
Trekking poles will take some weight off your feet, ankles and hips.
Merino socks come in a number of weights.
I wear lightweight Merino socks which have been cool enough for temps in high 30s Celsius.
The different weights have different proportions of wool and synthetic.
Wishing you well. ❤️

If you can't get custom orthotics in time, try out a pair of Currex insoles, I use the high ones.

I have walked in the La Sportiva Wildcats, they were fine, although I have never had a blister, but need a high drop 8-12mm for a bursitis issue.

This time for the early Oct walk I may try on the Cascadia 17. I walked in the 16 and they were solid, not super cozy. I need toe box room and both had enough.

I pre-tape and have never had a blister. I have only used Solomon, and prefer the GTX mid-size, waterproof "WIDE" hiking boot. I also use lightweight poles. Protecting your body from injury is a good belief system when hiking caminos. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi! Ugh I can so relate to your frustration. I have more shoes than clothes it feels like. And I thought I'd nailed it down, but after injury I need to rethink again.

You say you have no injury because you had an x-ray done. Many foot problems would not show up on an x-ray as they are related to the many muscles, tendons and ligaments in your foot and ankle. If you have pain walking, I suggest you rest. A week. Don't further irritate your feet. Use the time before your camino to at least get rid of the pain that you have while resting. Don't force the issue. If your feet hurt all the time, no shoe will remedy that.

Start doing some exercises to both strengthen and loosen the many many many muscles in your feet. Rolling a tennisbal with the bottom of your feet, scrunch up a towel, circles with your ankles, lift your toes and spread them and push them down into the floor. All of these, repeat a few times. Once you're free of pain, stand and lift up on your toes, and controlled back down. Hold on to something.

As for shoes, once you're pain free without walking, you can get back to trying. From what you're describing Topo's maybe a good fit, or other wide toebox shoes. And get some really good socks too. Or another model from a tried brand. Altra also has Mont Blanc and Timp, more cushioned versions, and less wide than the famous Lonepeak. Saucony Peregrine has a wider toebox too. Use our friend google: wide toe box, narrow heal, max cushion and you'll get more models than you thought existed.

But for now, let's get rid of the pain, rest, pamper, restore.

Hang in there! Hug

some links I found on google using wide toe box / narrow heel / cushion:

Last edited:
Some thoughts on top of all the previous posts.
Trekking poles will take some weight off your feet, ankles and hips.
Merino socks come in a number of weights.
I wear lightweight Merino socks which have been cool enough for temps in high 30s Celsius.
The different weights have different proportions of wool and synthetic.
Wishing you well. ❤️
I have purchased the Carbon Z which are so light weight and foldable (but expensive). The only downside is they can’t be carried on a plane as they could be a weapon. I plan on putting my pack in a suitcase and leaving it at a luggage locker in Porto.

Totally agree with @C clearly that customized orthotics could be a game changer. It’s really too bad that your health insurance won’t cover it, and also not good to learn that they won’t be ready before you walk. I couldn’t walk without mine. In fact, I would postpone a camino rather than walk without them, but you may not have that luxury.

I have tried Altras (not enough arch support)

I have found that silicone orthotics inserted in Altras give me a perfect foot strike for my high arches and with the cushioning of the shoe, I have not had any more problems with tendonitis, which a lot of asphalt may trigger. Hard plastic orthotics are cheaper, but I found that they exacerbated some of my issues when used day after day on a lot of hard asphalt on the Camino.

And to add to the general boots vs. shoes vs. trail runners discussion. I know there are many who swear by their boots, and I am not trying to change anyone’s mind. But if you are new to the Camino or hiking generally, you might be interested to know that boots are in a distinct minority on the Appalachian Trail. And since the Camino is much more urban than the Appalachian Trail, by a long shot, many long-distance walkers would say that boots are overkill on the Camino. Here are the results of a survey. And note that more than half of those who started the AT with boots changed to trail runners. Small sample, sure, but at more than 400, I think it is representative. And there are many other surveys out there that reach the same conclusion.

Good luck with this, I know it is a real dilemma. I walked caminos for more than 10 years before someone convinced me to try trail runners, I am now a convert. And like many converts, I find it hard to resist proselytizing, but I try!

IMG_1725.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I also have wide feet (E/F) but with narrow heels. Having tried on in shops several pairs of Merrells (Moab Speed 4, Siren 4 and then in Decathlon Crosslander 3) and found my heels slopping around in the shoes, I ordered the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II GTX wide fitting from Alpinetrek.

I'm delighted to say (after a 10 1/2 mile "shakedown" hike along part of the South Downs Way), that the La Sportivas seem to do the trick for me. Definitely a style worth trying if you are in the narrow heel/wide foot club.

I don't have orthotics so can't comment on their compatibility with orthotics, but the soles seemed to provide good cushioning on the bits of tarmac I walked on, and I've not got any foot pain or blisters. (I wore Bridgedale trekker socks - I'm a Bridgedale fan having not got any blisters wearing their socks with my Meindl Burma Lady Pro boots while doing the Hadrian's Wall Trail a few years ago).

I've written on the forum before about the Hitchcock company and their website wideshoes.com. For that use the forum search facility to look for wideshoes.com.

I also have wide feet (E/F) but with narrow heels. Having tried on in shops several pairs of Merrells (Moab Speed 4, Siren 4 and then in Decathlon Crosslander 3) and found my heels slopping around in the shoes, I ordered the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II GTX wide fitting from Alpinetrek.

I'm delighted to say (after a 10 1/2 mile "shakedown" hike along part of the South Downs Way), that the La Sportivas seem to do the trick for me. Definitely a style worth trying if you are in the narrow heel/wide foot club.

I don't have orthotics so can't comment on their compatibility with orthotics, but the soles seemed to provide good cushioning on the bits of tarmac I walked on, and I've not got any foot pain or blisters. (I wore Bridgedale trekker socks - I'm a Bridgedale fan having not got any blisters wearing their socks with my Meindl Burma Lady Pro boots while doing the Hadrian's Wall Trail a few years ago).
I have orthotics and these la sportiva ultra raptor wide work with them. I’ve been wearing the boot version for years and excited to use the shoe version when I go to the 88 temple pilgrimage in Japan in October! 😊

OMG you have hit a nerve with this thread. After two Caminos there is no such thing as perfect shoes and of course everything the previous 1000 respondents said about it being personal holds true. My 2 cents,1) stop overthinking it and obsessing 2) go fit some brooks cascadias, 1,5-2 sizes too big, loosen the laces and entire lacing system as your feet will swell over time. Make sure you dip your feet in cold water during your hike on rest stops as you can and take your time. Get some two layer medium thickness socks (old 1000 mile company or wrightsocks now make solid dual lyer socks) and make sure you rub your feet with some vaseline every morning after they are clean and dry before pulling on your socks, keep your toenails properly short with no sharp edges. Try this upfront and do some 10-15 mile hikes with a pack.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back