• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi, camino first-timer here, advice needed please on route..thanks :)

JackyG

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Way September 2017.
French Way May 2018.
Planning some sort of camino for Sep 2019..
Hi, I want to do part of the Camino this year for the first time and a friend suggested a good start would be going from Tui to Santiago, this is because originally I only 7/8 days total including travel time from Ireland. Now however, I have from 2nd of September to 14th September (including flight days too) and am wondering how much more I can fit in 'cos I want to do as much as possible basically! :)

So two questions -
1) Will there much of a difference in temperature between August and first few weeks of Sep?
and
2) What would people recommend in terms of route? I definitely want to end up in Santiago, I'm a good walker and will be (hopefully!) up to doing definitely 20-25km per day possibly more just depending on the heat..so what would people recommend for me?

Thanks very much in advance! :)
Jacky

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you want a Compostela walk last 100kms on either route. That should give you both time to walk to Santiago and point-to-point travel time.
Buen camino.

Perhaps you can manage Leon to Santiago. Or walk Tui to Santiago and then on to Finisterre or Muxia as the Celts of old did. Many pilgrims seem to delight in the walk to Finisterre, which takes 4-5 more days from Santiago.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi JackyG and welcome to the forum.
Have you thought about walking the Camino Inglés from Ferrol? It's about 5 - 7 days, and it will give you plenty of margin to gather last-minute things once you arrive in Spain, walk, and then have a couple days in Santiago (and perhaps a trip to Finisterre either by bus or by foot) before you have to leave for home. The weather in this part of Spain during August and Sept is usually drier and though warm, it's perfect beach weather (not too humid or too hot, usually).

Whatever you decide, enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!
Faith

Thanks all that's really helpful! Lots of food for thought :) Was thinking of Tui to Santiago alright but then I've the extra bit of time now so am thinking does anyone know would I have time to walk from Porto (instead of getting bus from there to Tui) all the way to Santiago? How long would that usually take - Porto to Santiago - being fairly fit and an avid walker? Thanks so much in advance! :) Jacky

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi JackyG and welcome to the forum.
Have you thought about walking the Camino Inglés from Ferrol? It's about 5 - 7 days, and it will give you plenty of margin to gather last-minute things once you arrive in Spain, walk, and then have a couple days in Santiago (and perhaps a trip to Finisterre either by bus or by foot) before you have to leave for home. The weather in this part of Spain during August and Sept is usually drier and though warm, it's perfect beach weather (not too humid or too hot, usually).

Whatever you decide, enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!
Faith
Thanks so much :)

Perhaps you can manage Leon to Santiago. Or walk Tui to Santiago and then on to Finisterre or Muxia as the Celts of old did. Many pilgrims seem to delight in the walk to Finisterre, which takes 4-5 more days from Santiago.
Thank you :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Porto to Santiago was a very enjoyable walk for me. It is about 240km so it would be doable in your time frame with 25km days. You can use this planner to help.

I have previously walked the Inglés route from Ferrol and the route to Muxia and Finisterre as well as the Portuguese coastal route. I would recommend the Inglés and on to Muxia/Finisterre as I believe it would be less travel time for you and the Inglés route would be the traditional route from Ireland which was my original reason for walking it since my father is of Irish descent and my mother is of Portuguese descent. Now I go back because I absolutely love Portugal and Galicia. I will spend 5 weeks again this year walking the Portugues and Inglés routes before working in the Pilgrim Office in Santiago.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Porto to Santiago was a very enjoyable walk for me. It is about 240km so it would be doable in your time frame with 25km days. You can use this planner to help.

I have previously walked the Inglés route from Ferrol and the route to Muxia and Finisterre as well as the Portuguese coastal route. I would recommend the Inglés and on to Muxia/Finisterre as I believe it would be less travel time for you and the Inglés route would be the traditional route from Ireland which was my original reason for walking it since my father is of Irish descent and my mother is of Portuguese descent. Now I go back because I absolutely love Portugal and Galicia. I will spend 5 weeks again this year walking the Portugues and Inglés routes before working in the Pilgrim Office in Santiago.

Good luck with your decision.
Hi Mike, thanks so much for that, that's the answer that I was hoping for, that it's doable! Just one thing, the link that you pasted with the planner on it doesn't seem to be working?..could you tell me where I'd find it?.. it may be my phone actually! :) Thanks again, Jacky

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Will there much of a difference in temperature between August and first few weeks of Sep?
You could look at average monthly temperatures and probably see that the difference is only a degree or 2. However, the real weather when you are there might be very very different and it is impossible to predict this far ahead.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just want to update that I've decided to book two whole weeks (took a bit of wrangling work-wise etc and getting kids and pets minded but what the hey!) so will have a good 12 days not including flight days to go Porto to Santiago.. can't flippin wait now! Only thing I'm worried about is bed bugs, I can be filithy, hungry, wrecked tired and keep going on and on..but little bitey beasts that attack you when you sleep? Anyone got a tried and tested method of repellent?.. I'll smear myself in *anything* to keep them away!

Hi, I want to do part of the Camino this year for the first time and a friend suggested a good start would be going from Tui to Santiago, this is because originally I only 7/8 days total including travel time from Ireland. Now however, I have from 2nd of September to 14th September (including flight days too) and am wondering how much more I can fit in 'cos I want to do as much as possible basically! :)

So two questions -
1) Will there much of a difference in temperature between August and first few weeks of Sep?
and
2) What would people recommend in terms of route? I definitely want to end up in Santiago, I'm a good walker and will be (hopefully!) up to doing definitely 20-25km per day possibly more just depending on the heat..so what would people recommend for me?

Thanks very much in advance! :)
Jacky

So towards 250K then total given the projected daily hiking speed ?

Tui to Santiago is less than half that.

You could start towards Astorga on the Francès , which could be a stretch at 275K, or Ponferrada as a safer bet (or the Caminho de Invierno instead from there), or if you wanted to keep to the Portuguese, you could start at Porto instead which would be ~237K

So towards 250K then total given the projected daily hiking speed ?

Tui to Santiago is less than half that.

You could start towards Astorga on the Francès , which could be a stretch at 275K, or Ponferrada as a safer bet (or the Caminho de Invierno instead from there), or if you wanted to keep to the Portuguese, you could start at Porto instead which would be ~237K
Yep that's what I'm doing :) Porto to Santiago, I should have lots of time shouldn't I?.. I originally only had time to go from Tui but will go from Porto now :)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back