• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

High Vis Vest?

susiem

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
HI
Just making final rucksack check and wonder if I should take high vis vest as I'll be walking until end of Oct and morning will be dark?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Not a bad idea. If your route involves road walking.

Another option that I use is:
Reflective tape on my poles. (if you use them)
Pieces of reflective tape (small patches) hanging off my pack.
The poles really show up bright in car headlights.

Quick shot of one of my poles.

From the top.
Gaffer tape (for repairs of anything)
Reflective tape.
Yellow band for identification. (Pat has different colour)
Reflective Tape
Gaffer tape
Reflective tape
Gaffer tape
Reflective tape

I go through a lot of gaffer tape!
I was using it to repair my shoes last Camino.
Normally I only have the single section of gaffer tape at the top.
The extra two have the normal yellow bands below.

20230918_185311.jpg

Last edited:

I did get reflective tape but it's not sticking on rucksack, but would, I'm sure, stick to my poles, so will take this with me, and will try it 'hanging off my pack' instead of trying to stick it on. Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you intend to start walking before sunrise or find yourself walking in low light conditions then some form of “;high vis” garment will, imho, be beneficial.

I did get reflective tape but it's not sticking on rucksack, but would, I'm sure, stick to my poles, so will take this with me, and will try it 'hanging off my pack' instead of trying to stick it on. Thanks!

This is how I attach the tape to my pack.

Wrap it around a strap or loop and then stick back on itself. Easiest.

Or........take a piece of tape, fold in half to stick to itself, and hang it off your pack with a bit of string.

I have 5 or 6 of these small 'tags' hanging off may pack.
Lots of places to attach them. They are only an inch or two square.

This is on the 'ice axe' loop.

20230918_190309.jpg

This is just attached to a compression strap
20230918_190319.jpg

Quick shot of one of my poles.

From the top.
Gaffer tape (for repairs of anything)
Reflective tape.
Yellow band for identification. (Pat has different colour)
Reflective Tape
Gaffer tape
Reflective tape
Gaffer tape
Reflective tape

I go through a lot of gaffer tape!
I was using it to repair my shoes last Camino.
Normally I only have the single section of gaffer tape at the top.
The extra two have the normal yellow bands below.

View attachment 156668
And your rucksack, do you just hang a bit off it?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I will wrap the tape around straps. That should work. Thanks.

Yep. Easy. Just have a long enough piece of tape, so you can lay the strap across at the middle point, and have enough tape to stick to itself. That leaves a reflective 'flag' hanging off the strap. 5 or 6 of those and you'll light up like a Christmas tree in car headlights!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Throughout most of Europe reflective vests are generally sold in large gas stations. Inexpensive and lightweight they are always available in stops which cater to long distance truckers such as the routiers in France....Wear them wherever you may be walking .

For more on reflective vests see this earlier Forum thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/reflective-vests.38005/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Throughout most of Europe reflective vests are generally sold in large gas stations. Inexpensive and lightweight they are always available in stops which cater to long distance truckers such as the routiers in France....Wear them wherever you may be walking .

For more on reflective vests see this earlier Forum thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/reflective-vests.38005/
Thank you. I will take mine as it's lightweight, and will take the reflective tape too, and perhaps another pilgrim can share some of the tape.

put the tape in a loop. Open it at either end and sticky side to sticky side you can be sure it will grip and swing to attract attention by virtue of colour and reflectivenes. Mine is still on the back of the bag despite rain hail and shine

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
HI
Just making final rucksack check and wonder if I should take high vis vest as I'll be walking until end of Oct and morning will be dark?
HI
good idea, consider your pack cover too.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.