• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ghost Whisperer - puffy vest or jacket?

woody66

This is my boy !
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal 2021 Frances Leon/Muxia2023
Hi All!
I walk Leon Santiago Muxia September through to early October!
My question:
As i have both a Ghost Wisperer puffy Vest and a Ghost Wisperer jacket!

Which do you think is the most suitable at that time of year?
(The weight difference is 60 grams however the jacket is much warmer same fill as my quilt)

Writing this i suddenly thought along the lines of perhaps taking the jacket and not my sleep quilt;dual purpose item!
Would that be a reasonable idea (i have a silk bag liner) or am i daft:)
Thanks Woody

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It really depends on how warm you run. I’ll wear shorts in pretty much any weather other than sleet as long as my chest is warm so the vest would be plenty for me. I also find the comfort of a bag or quilt is really worth it at the end of the day and I couldn't sleep in ky jacket unless i really had to.

How are you planning to use it? I have often taken a sleeveless down vest to wear in the evenings (under my rain jacket if I go out) and at night inside my sleeping bag. I have never needed it during the day walking, as I have other more suitable lightweight layers for day time. I think I would find the jacket with sleeves to be too hot to sleep in, but the sleeveless one is good. I can even lay it over my torso without putting it on properly.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How are you planning to use it?
Hi C clearly!
Well when i started my post the intention of my question was to ask if the vest or the jacket was the best for the weather i would encounter from Leon to Muxia at that time of year.

I carried the vest on my Portuguese and wore it a couple of times in the evening sitting outside;but the days were hot!

However i had what i thought was a lightbulb moment as i wrote :) (now i realise it was a dim candle;emphasis on dim🤣)
My quilt weighs 463 grams the jacket 280 grams same fill; i could save 183 grams and the jacket would have two uses.
But i only wear the vest here for the majority of the winter as most of the time the jacket is too hot to walk in i imagine in September/October Spain is hotter.
So as i have layers and the vest i will bring the quilt.

Woody

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Cheers, I'm on the last week before my first Camino (frances) and anxiety is rising... I will start from SJPP on apr/30, and understood that maybe on the first section of the Camino, I might...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.